PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for the Week of 10-27 to 11-2-08

bunkerjoe4
10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

bunkerjoe4
10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
NJ WIR 10/27/08

This has been a great week for surfcasters, folks. Most of the bigger bass have been caught at night, up to 35bs in northern NJ, and some bass in the mid 20's in some Raritan Bay spots for clammers.

We now have a sustained presence of bass in Ocean county. These smaller schoolie bass are available to those using clams, or throwing some type of offering that has a teaser attached. For those plugging or throwing metals with teasers, it is often essential to wade out or cast past the outer bar. Be careful to do this only on the outgoing tide, or you could be over your head as you wade back.

Bass all throughout the Jersey shore area are now gorging themselves on sandeels. Any offering that imitates a sandeel profile or has similar action could lead to a hookup.

Some have been going out, 2 and three days in a row, and getting skunked. I feel for you folks. The best way I can put this is:

The bass are everywhere, but not everywhere at once. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

Now is the time when seasoned surfcasters, and those wishing to learn, will try to think about the migration patterns of the fall run. Sometimes, if there is bait, the bass and bait will hold in an area for a few days, particularly if there are jetties involved.

Other times, the bass will be moving southward as part of that fall migration.

If you heard they got them in one area today and you missed it, try an area a little South of that tomorrow. This doesn't always work. The more we try to turn bass fishing into a science, the more it becomes apparent that it is a challenge trying to figure out where the fish will be feeding in a particular moment.

Therefore, I would advise to fish shoreline structure, whether it be rocks, outsucks, cuts, sloughs, and slight variations. Get to know this structure well, and what has worked for you in the past. If it is not working today/tonight, be ready to move on to a different location.

Additionally, fishing areas of current this time of year is very productive. On the outgoing, the remaining baitfish are dumping out of the bays and rivers, and the bass are right there sluping them up. Your task is to find out where the most bait is, and try to continually target areas like that.

NY WIR 10/27/08

Montauk is continuing to provide notable fishing, and again the fish are moving down the Long Island south shore. One location one day, another the next, but they are there. Night tides guarantee a better shot.

The bluefish have moved out of the back bays and rivers, for the most part, with the exception of the Raritan Bay and Long Island Sound. They are following the baitfish south. This is good new for guys using eels, who are now less worried about their eels becoming bluefish sushi.:)

Albies are still being caught to the north, but the reports are very few and far between. With the dropping water temperatures, this may be the last we see of them as they migrate to warmer water.

The offshore tuna bite is still very spotty. Some captains will have bonanza days, while the next day there will be nothing. I continue to hope for a more sustained fall tuna run, only time will tell.

Remember folks: even with the noreasters, southeasters, and the harsh winds and big surf, the bass are still there. Some days may be better than others, but don't let a dirty surf stop you from fishing. Find a pocket of clearer water, and go fishing, they are out there!

DarkSkies
10-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Finally made it out in the dark this morning first light one small bass black bomber. Once the sun came up that was it. fished 2 hours, moco. Not much bait in the wash.

SharkHart
10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
we whooped on some bass in South NJ, below AC in the back bay. Me and a friend had somewhere close to 35 fish maybe with half rat sized, others up to just keeper but many fat healthy "slots" This was a good sign to see last few falls already werent this good for back that by this time frame and these fish werent there a week ago.

I also grabbed a weakie a blue and small fluke to complete the slam.

ALegendintheMaking
10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
The Northern Monmouth County area has been quite productive over the past two days or so. The crew and I have consistently gotten into some bass throughout the day on either bomber assaults or clams depending on how lazy we are . The biggest bass topped the scales around 22 lbs or so, but it is definitely a sign of good things to come. The majority of the bait pods have been off of the Sea Bright or Sandy Hook area so it will not be long before the rest of New Jersey gets into some serious action. FISH ON

Blackwater
10-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Fished the backside of OC waters late last night. Bunker was busting where there were fish pushing them up. Bass were picky though, shads, bucktails and fin-s were the menu choices. Bass started to hit offerings on the slack tide (jigging plastics) and the bite was more consistent to the shift of the outgoing. 14# took the prize, but many shorts were in the mix. After this blow and short stint of inclement weather the front should heat up as well as the back once again. If your not fishing eels outfront yet I strongly suggest you do so and at night of course. This will up your odds of getting a nice fish with some weight if concentrating in those troughs.

DarkSkies
10-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Fished moco last night 9-3. Most people had left a popular beach because of the threat of a little rain, there were only 4 of us fishing.

Had to move around a bit, finally found fish in current. Very light hits, I managed 2 shorts. One on white teaser, another was hooked in the gill plate by my 12" needle, which I was using to punch out into the windy surf.

A friend fishing with me was fishing hard, and got a bunch of taps, but could not manage to translate these to hookups. We met another guy I know fishing eels, he got a few blefish bite offs, and had a nice bass come unbuttoned. I'll be fishing eels soon.

We stopped when the wind and rain became too much. some gusts over 25 made it difficult to stay in the strike zone. However, as has been said in the posts above, the fish are there, they don't know if it's raining, epecially if they are feeding in the bottom half of the water column.

We ended up at another location where guys had nailed some decent fish, but the wind and rain would not let up, and everyone went home.

wish4fish
10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
yesterday way in the back of rb, we were clammin, got 3 to 34 till the rain came. slow night

fishinmission78
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
OC this morning, above IBSP, tons of bass and bait in the surf. Eating sandeels, but couldn't get them to hit needlefish, had to use bombers and redfins, slow retrieve. 9 bass to 29", 5-7am.

wish4fish
10-29-2008, 01:28 PM
got em again on clams last night, back of the bay. 15 fish between 2 guys, no keepers this time, most were 24-26". winds were feirce, but we were kinda protected, not that bad.

bunkerjoe4
10-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Monty, you have mail at yahoo. Please check it asap.:HappyWave:

captnemo
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Fished the channels in Raritan bay yesterday. 4 bass up to 32" and a few bluefish trolling a stretch 25. Started trolling an umbrella with white shads, but the bluefish were tearing them up, so we switched to the stretch.

Marked a lot of bait on the fishfinder.

clamchucker
10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Very good bite in moco today, the bass and blues had herring and peanut bunker pinned to the beach. I got 1 bass 33", and was bit off by several bluefish. White storm shads. Bite slowed down after sunrise, then started up again for awhile, but fish were smaller, and the amount of bait made it difficult for them to hit our offerings. Still it was a nice morning fishing, not too crowded, large amount of bait, and the fish were cooperating.

Monty
10-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Bunker Joe,
Hello.
E-mail did not come through for some reason. Please try again and copy same name but at @gmail.com

Thanks

Monty, you have mail at yahoo. Please check it asap.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Last night was tough to put a catch together. Some friends killed them in the daytime, but we fished 9-1, and it was slow. Started mid moco, then worked our way up to nomoco.

First stop, I saw herring or bunker jumping about 300' out, no fish on them. Then ran into some guys coming off the beach, said the bass were feeding there but they were too far out.

Met up with a friend, and hit a bunch more locations, mostly rocky. I climbed out to the front for every rockpile we hit.

3rd stop, my friend got a small bass on orange magdarter, no teaser.

6th stop, I got a small bass on a green teaser while throwing the orange mag.

Made a few more stops after that, till we ran out of rocks, and hit the sand in a few places. Only a few small taps, that was it.

Only place we did not cover is the long walk. Maybe we should have hit OC instead.:don't know why:

Another positive thing is we saw bait, either the bunker or herring I mentioned, or very small bait, maybe spearing, at most of the places we stopped, tons of bait.

I would think today will be another slaughter for guys who can fish in the day, the table is definitely set. Wish I could take off work, there are some big bass being caught. Also talked to other friends we met out there who said there was a good amount of 16lb bluefish caught in central moco during the day, and a few bass in the 20's.

On the plus side, it was a beautiful night. The predicted wind never materialized, most of the night it was under 5mph, and seemed to get warmer as it got later.

I hope to be hitting it again today, sucks to have to work. OFFC doesn't seem to have that problem.:D

fishjay
10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
fished nomoco yesterday. missed the good early morning bite.

did manage about 20 fish for our group, mixed bass and blues to 30".

the youngest member had a tough day and moaned all day about not being on the X. can't convince him that we all have bad days and he has the least of all of us.

Guess some people are never satisfied. You think its all peaches and cream for us retired folk???

DarkSkies
10-30-2008, 11:30 AM
fished nomoco yesterday. missed the good early morning bite.

did manage about 20 fish for our group, mixed bass and blues to 30".

the youngest member had a tough day and moaned all day about not being on the X. can't convince him that we all have bad days and he has the least of all of us.

Guess some people are never satisfied. You think its all peaches and cream for us retired folk???

All right, guess I was :waaah: a little, time to man up and go out and stick some fish.:embarassed:

It's natural for me to be jealous of retired guys, but you're right, you worked hard all your lives, (except for the Duke:laugh:) and now it's your time to relax.

You guys are hardcore. I was trying to explain to a friend of mine last night why you guys are so successful. I tried to explain how you sometimes have a sixth sense about where the fish will come in, and how to pull bass out of a bluefish blitz.

But the simplest truth is you guys fish hard, could run circles around guys half your age. And you keep moving, don't stop until you find the fish. You're like the Borg on Star Trek, unstoppable.:thumbsup:

I'll try to whine a little less, like Joe sez, what fun would it be it you always pulled a lot of fishout of the water every night?

clamchucker
10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Good fishing in somoco this morning, 11 bass to 29" before the sunrise, Most fish were 22-24", all on black bomber.

wish4fish
10-30-2008, 05:58 PM
i hit the hook this morning and got blanked except for a stargazer, throwing magdarters and storm shads, should have gone down and mugged clamchucker, nice catch, man!

wish4fish
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
we whooped on some bass in South NJ, below AC in the back bay. Me and a friend had somewhere close to 35 fish maybe with half rat sized, others up to just keeper but many fat healthy "slots" This was a good sign to see last few falls already werent this good for back that by this time frame and these fish werent there a week ago.

I also grabbed a weakie a blue and small fluke to complete the slam.

nice goin, dude! hardly seen any weakies up here in the bay or by the hook this year, except for the spring. grand slam!:clapping:

fishinmission78
10-30-2008, 11:37 PM
OC tonight, near a big structure. Waded out to the bar, got 4 bass up to 28" on needlefish. Lots of guys fishing around there, not everyone was catching, some of them said yesterday was better.

voyager35
10-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Drifted the SH rips tonight with eels, ok bite, 5 bass to 32", 3 of them were only a little bigger than the eel.

LennyD
10-31-2008, 06:13 AM
OC last night, started to fish 1hr before dark 'till 930pm. Managed 19 short and 3 keepers up to 31". Awesome. They are out there. Go get them!!!!:fishing:

cowherder
10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Got in a little fishing time before work today. Fish on almost every cast by an inlet in moco, holy crap I never caught so many fish in 2 hours, 16 all around 25", nothing bigger. But it was great fun, using metal ava jig. Thanks guys for all the advice!

DarkSkies
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Last night was irritating, late to get out, arguments, late schedule, unplanned delays. Felt better once I was driving to go fishing. Met up with a friend in moco, it seems the fish were scattered when we fished 10-2am, so we kept moving, picked up a fish or hit at almost every stop, but no quantities. He was using a yellow schoolbus, and in the ambient light where we were, it worked well. He picked up 4, one being slightly under keeper size.

I was happy for him because he has been fishing hard for a keeper, putting in a lot of hours. Every time he gets home, his kids ask him if he brought fish home for them to see, and he has to tell him no. That 27+" he caught might have been a keeper if he would have sat on it and pinched the tail, but we gotta follow the regs.

I stubbornly continued to use my orange magdarter, and didn't switch to a bomber till he got his 3rd fish. I still couldn't buy a fish, only one small tap.

I don't think color always matters, except we were fishing an area that's a little lighter. We had another friend who was fishing a rockpile where it's darker, and he was banging bass on a black magnum bomber till 10pm.

We ended up meeting another friend around 2am, he was working the sand southward from the north, and had limited success, all hit and run, a fish or tap at each spot and nothing more.

The bite seemed dead in the area around that time, though lots of spearing around in the calm surf.

I finally got into fish at sunrise this morning, somoco, it seemed like the bass were stacked up. 8 bass before sunrise, then it slowed a little. Bass all small, got them on black bomber and teaser, nice action.

wish4fish
10-31-2008, 05:09 PM
hit the hook again, 3 short bass on storm shads before first light.

fishinmission78
10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Got the big goose egg plugging at ibsp this morning. Saw a few short bass caught on clams, that was it, slow morning.

fishjay
11-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Dark Skies;

I heard you were out in the daytime and refused to find us and say hello. you didn't miss much as we only caught a few small bass, but you know that by ignoring us you are now doomed to fish with the DUKE.

clamchucker
11-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Fished a well known monmouth county area this morning, sandy beach, nothing doing. Used bucktails and metals. Saw one guy catch a bluefish, that was it.

plugginpete
11-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Sandy Hook today from 7-9am, 2 bluefish on a hopkins.

DarkSkies
11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Took the day off yesterday to fish OC, heard a lot of good reports. I had fish at sunrise in moco, but once I got to OC IBSP area, looked like the dead sea. At the walk on part of IBSP, the clammers I met there said it was slow. I could see a fleet of boats about 2 miles south of the entrance, and about 1 mile out. Later I heard these boaters were into big bluefish, but the OC surf seemed like the dead sea.

Didn't see any bait or bird action in the 20 mile trip except for one nice pod with birds, 1 mile out.

There were very few productive spots in the daytime. Ran into some pluggers just coming off one beach, one guy just broke his rod. Sorry dude, good thing you had a warranty.:thumbsup: They said they were into small bass, so I went out, cast to the horizon. Not a tap on metal and teaser.

On the plus side, I always love making the ride to to OC because of the different cuts, inner and outer bars, nice houses and scenery. The water was gin clear, and warm enough to make me want to say effumall and go swimming.

There were a lot of guys standing around, not catching fish, so I met some new people. Everyone told me about the great bite the night before. Since it was low tide, I re-learned all the outsucks and cuts that had changed since my last visit.

But as far as fish, I couldn't get even the smallest tap.

Later in the early evening, some action started. It only lasted for an hour at the next place I want to, I missed it by 5 minutes. But on one rockpile I did meet a guy re-upping to go back into the service . They're sending him to Afghanistan, he's cool with it.

Just wanted to thank him and all the soldiers publically here for all they have done to keep our country safe, and risking their lives. I will pray for you man.:clapping:

Dark Skies;

I heard you were out in the daytime and refused to find us and say hello. you didn't miss much as we only caught a few small bass, but you know that by ignoring us you are now doomed to fish with the DUKE.

I was on my way up to meet you guys, but the last place I went to looked promising, I fished it hard from 3 different spots.

Since I had the odor of skunk on me, did not want to jinx the now-famous members of the OFFC with eau de skunk. I went home early and crashed, sorry I didn't stop by. Please don't banish me to fishing with the Duke, I would rather be made to walk off the jetty or get dental work without novocain.:D

cowherder
11-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Fished the front side of SH this morning, a few spots. Threw bucktails and metal diamond jigs. Saw a few small bass caught by clammers, but it wasn't good, if you counted all the people on the beach, and the small amount of fish that were caught. I got the :skunk:

fishinmission78
11-01-2008, 04:22 PM
There was a good bite at IBSP this morning for an hour. I got 5 bass to 25" from 6-7am, then it died. Bucktail.

fishinmission78
11-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Good action at IBSP south at first light, 5 bass to 27 1/2 using Pt Jude tin and hogy rubber black sandeel. Action died when the sun came up.

cowherder
11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I fished Sandy Hook from 7 to 9 am today, threw kastmasters and bombers, nothing.:skunk:

plugaholic
11-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I was baitfishing LBI last night, bunker and clam. We got 2 small bass, biggest 24" on clam, and a 32" fat bluefish on the bunker. Nice night to be out.

captnemo
11-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Drifted the rips at SH this morning before sunrise. Fishing was not as great as it usually is. We managed one bass 29" on an eel.

Monty
11-02-2008, 04:02 PM
First skunk in awhile. Fished nomoco ocean side 4-7, wind was atleast twice as hard as I thought it would be, it was honkin pretty steady. Then shot up to backside of the hook 8-9.5 .
Through swimmers and pencils, did not see anything caught. Saw more people fishing the hook area than ever before (5). Usually I am alone.