PDA

View Full Version : bumps instead of hits

ledhead36
10-31-2008, 05:39 PM
I have been getting a lot of bumps but no solid hits? Changed plugs with different colors even tried to slow it down. They seem to be getting spooked. Any hints?

Monty
10-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Last Sunday same problem.
Landed 1 24 inch bass, lost a decent fish and then had at least 10 hits with no hook ups:don't know why:.
Will try much more drastic retrievs and different "hook setting" techniques next time this happens.

crosseyedbass
11-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I was fishing with my uncle one night, I kept him asking him why the sea robins wouldn't leave my plug alone. He took the pole next time I said that, yanked it real sharp,, and pulled in a 34" bass. You never know what those taps might be.

nitestrikes
11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Braid is also a lot better than mono in these situations.

surferman
05-20-2009, 07:44 AM
If one technique does not work you have to change. Like monty said change the retrieve, or the set up. Eventually the bumps will stop and Hook ups will come.

surfstix1963
05-21-2009, 05:48 AM
If you get bumps and are not hooking up stop the plug for a few seconds and if they want it they will take at that time bass are usually trying to injure the prey and get it by the head takes some time.

jimbob
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
That happens to me every once and a while, I usually can catch them by using a floating plug and when I get a bump stop the plug and twitch it a few times let it sit and then retrive it quickly by doing this I can usually hook up.

wish4fish
05-21-2009, 09:21 PM

braid is the ****!:D

clamchucker
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM
That happens to me every once and a while, I usually can catch them by using a floating plug and when I get a bump stop the plug and twitch it a few times let it sit and then retrive it quickly by doing this I can usually hook up.

This is a very good technique. I have also had luck when incorporating the above as part of a variable retrieve. People sometimes forget that the plugs we are using are very effective when imitating a baitfish in distress. That baitfish would not be following a steady, direct path if it was dying.

CharlieTuna
02-12-2010, 04:26 PM
For all you guys who fish bucktails and have missed strikes, try using a bucktail with a stinger. This should only be used on a smooth as opposed to sticky bottom or you will lose your rig.

surfstix1963
02-23-2010, 05:30 AM
For all you guys who fish bucktails and have missed strikes, try using a bucktail with a stinger. This should only be used on a smooth as opposed to sticky bottom or you will lose your rig.

Now theres a secret not too many people know my grandfather showed me that one for those short biting fluke

baitstealer
11-13-2016, 09:27 PM
I remembered reading a thread on this. I had such a frustrating night tonight cause I got one short striper but I think I could have caught a few others. They were just slightly tapping the lure. suggestions for when fishing lures and that happened to you guys? Thanks

dogfish
11-14-2016, 01:42 AM

X2. also upgrade your hooks to a larger size IF the plug permits. And make sure that they are sharp.

Rip-Plugger
11-14-2016, 05:06 PM
for those that use barrels to connect the line to the leader those bumps are also very small bass or hickories hitting the barrel.
I have seen it 15 feet in front of me.
seems to help to use the smallest barrel possible.
I use the tiny but,strong tsunamis the type that look like a sleeve with rounded ends.
at times they still hit it but,much less than with a normal sized barrel.
also the gators will hit the barrel too resulting in a cutoff,,have seen that too where the leader is cut 2 inches below the barrel.
even so if you don't use a barrel and connect with a knot they can see that too and will hit that.
it's amazing what a fish can see in the dark.

Rip-Plugger
11-14-2016, 05:21 PM
I also will add that sometimes the fish is not hungry and snaps at the offering just to spook it from their feeding window.
I have seen trout and smallmouth do that,,,protecting their feeding zone from outsiders and even smaller fish coming too close which threatens their feed.
I am going by observations and by fish being territorial at times,maybe not all the time but, at "special" times.

williehookem
11-15-2016, 07:00 AM
Great advice, thanks. I had similar issues last night

buckethead
11-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Would certainly agree on that. When they are light hitting fish braid gives you a superior advantage.

cowherder
11-16-2016, 09:17 AM
awesome info, thanks for sharing.