PDA

View Full Version : Site question

Monty
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Hello:HappyWave:, a couple questions on the site.

Even though I log on (and it shows that I am logged on) I see the following message (shown in red). Is this normal?

Also are private messages enabled on the site.

I fish the Jersey beaches (NoMoCo mostly), bayside mostly in the summer. Get out atleast 1x per week.
Nothin but Plugin.

Monty

Welcome to the Stripersandanglers.com forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. It is important to register using an active email address (even if you create one specifically for this site) you have to go back to this email address to activate this account before you can log in. If activation link is not in inbox check your spam folder.

bunkerjoe4
11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey Monty :HappyWave:

1. Even though I log on (and it shows that I am logged on) I see the following message (shown in red). Is this normal?

This evolved because we saw that many of our guests who wanted to become members were having some difficulty in activating their registrations. As noted, some of the registrations were delayed or prevented because their service providers were labeling the e-mail registration confirmation as spam.

Additionally, others were not aware that our program automatically kicks off those folks who do not have valid e-mail addresses.

While most of you folks registering and posting here are comfortable with internet and e-mail use, there are quite a few coming to this site where this "internet stuff" is a first-time experience to them.

As a site administrator whose experience at other internet sites left me either scratching my head or disappointed sometimes, I wanted to find a way for our members to have a better registering experience. Sometimes the only way to reach people is to repeat a policy or procedure in several places.

For example, many guests may not be aware that once a month, I am giving out free plugs in random drawings to lucky winners who post in our designated regional fishing reports forums.

I don't aggresssively promote this because I want to encourage honesty in our reports. So far, it seems to have worked out well.

There are a whole host of other issues I face daily with a new site that is growing and gaining popularity. I am grateful for the participation of our members, such as you and many others. I hope to be able to answer any respectful questions to the best of my ability.

Although I am running it and obviously want to see us succeed, this site would be nothing without the community of you folks.:clapping:

It's your site as well, and I invite all interested parties to contribute feedback, either in this forum or through private PMs or e-mail. I want to be as responsive as possible to your needs and ideas.

2. Also are private messages enabled on the site?

I believe the number of posts before you can pm is set at 25. It is set at this number to discourage spammers. As we are growing and getting more registrations, we are also becoming more popular with spammers. I wish I could do better than that, especially for active members such as yourself. Unfortunately, I'm told these parameters have to be universally set.

You're only 3 posts away from pm status, Monty. It should be no problem for you to reach that in a day or so. :)

For anyone else looking for a quick way to bump yourself up to pm status, see the following thread:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=692&highlight=words+terms+fishing

[Anyone who wants to rack up their posts, just either please type :

any other marine or fishing term you want.

bunkerjoe doesn't always have the greatest ideas in the world, but I try.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

It's all about racking up the posts and making things easier for you new guys so you can PM each other now.

25 posts needed before the system grants you pm priveleges.

Go for it. ]

Monty
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Great,
Thanks for the info, 2 more to go:dribble: