PDA

View Full Version : Googan mistakes you made

plugcrazy
07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
what are some of the googan mistakes you made? I opened a package of rubber shads and started casting them while the hook protector was still on.

dogfish
07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I launched the kayak without leashing the rod. Davy Jones got it.:beatin:

bababooey
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Do boat stories count? :D The first time I was ever out in my boat, I went to throw the anchor near Roamer.

I forgot to tie the rope to the boat.:bucktooth:

fishinmission78
11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I was out with my brother and his friends, trying to show them a little about fishing and casting. First cast, my 2 piece comes apart, they laughed a bit too much. I learned to always check the tension after that.

hookset
11-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Went out on a jetty without korkers, BIG MISTAKE!

stripercrazy
11-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Falling down on top of a plug when I lost my balance on the rocks. It went a little into my leg, but it wasn't rusty and I pulled it out. A little peroxide, and I was back fishing. I felt pretty stupid and was glad there weren't too many people around.

rockhopper
11-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I was out with my brother and his friends, trying to show them a little about fishing and casting. First cast, my 2 piece comes apart, they laughed a bit too much. I learned to always check the tension after that.

At least you got the half of your pole back. I was on a jetty this summer, fishing with bunker. My friend is telling me about the wild night he had with this go go chick, and I wasn't paying attention to the pole. A school of big bluefish comes by, and rips my pole into the water. We couldn't get to it in time. I felt bad, but learned a lesson that day.

blitzhunter
11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
One of the first times I was learning to plug, I cast the plug out and my bail snapped shut on me. The mono snapped and the plug went sailing out into the ocean about 150 feet out. My uncle gave me that plug and I didn't want to tell him how I lost it, so i went swimming for it. I got it, but the water was like 50 degrees. Cold and shivering, I had to go home after that.:embarassed:

stripercrazy
11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Here's another one. I didn't do this, but brought 2 new guys who did. I was trying to teach them the right way to plug, be careful, look before casting, all that. Safety first.

While they are just learning, first day, a school of big blues comes into the surf killing bunker. Everyone goes crazy and it''s everyman for himself. I lost sight of what they were doing until I heard one of them scream out, Turns out the other new guy had hooked him in the head on the backcast, It wasn't bad because the guy who got hooked was wearing a hat, so the barbs only went in a little.

Back to the truck, wash with peroxide, and they're fishing again. I still bust the guys balls to this day when he's casting, ask him if he has enough room.:D

storminsteve
11-16-2008, 09:49 PM
A loooong time ago :embarassed: I made a banzai cast with a plug that didn't have the snaplock closed. I guess I didn't notice it until I got a fish and lost it. The clip came back opened, but it was only a 5# bluefish. I tried to blame it on the bluefish, but I knew it was my fault for being stupid.

CharlieTuna
12-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Many years have passed...Learning to use a conventional reel, my granddad told me to keep my thumb on the reel. I didn't put enough pressure, and ended up with a bird's nest. I did that three times that day before I learned my lesson.

stripercrazy
12-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Walking on an unnamed inlet jetty when the rocks had black ice on them. I fell like one of those cartoon characters and bashed my elbow. Black ice = danger. :eek:

gjb1969
12-03-2008, 06:10 PM
oh there is so many but here is a few black fishing got stuck and yanked the rod one time to manyand it snapped another time was with a brand new tica rod 9 ft riged up first cast rod top goes and the cheep line i just put on broke :beatin::burn:

basshunter
12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
oh there is so many but here is a few black fishing got stuck and yanked the rod one time to manyand it snapped another time was with a brand new tica rod 9 ft riged up first cast rod top goes and the cheep line i just put on broke :beatin::burn:

lol, I got stuck but didn't know it. We were drifting eels in Delaware bay where some big bass are known to hang. I hooked into what I thought was a 40 pound striper, or at least I thought it was. :don't know why: It was staying deep, and moved with the boat, so I didn't think it could be a snag. I'm thinking it will be my personal best, and I tell my buddy to get the camera ready. As I fight it more, it becomes more like dead weight, and we thought it was a skate or shark. Turns out it was a small anchor with a lot of chain attached, and the chain moving in the current was what made it feel like it was moving. That was pretty embarassing, and my buddies didn't let me forget about it for awhile.

DarkSkies
03-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Basshunter, I got a similar story, only mine was moving in the current, so I could swear it was a trophy bass:

I was baitfishin the coast at night about 10 years ago. I left my pole to go take a leak. I come back and my drag is screaming, and pole is bent over double. My heart is pumping a mile a minute as I'm thinking I have the bass of a lifetime. I could barely reel it in, yet it was pulling with the tide, so I figured it was the twin to Al McReynold's bass.

I was so excited as I walked the rod down the beach trying to get some line in for the next 10 minutes. I walked pass these guys mumbling to myself as I had visions of that bass in my head. They musta thought I was a lunatic.

I finally manage to gain some line, and I see someone's wooden desk in the surf. It must have washed out from a river after a storm, was travelling down the beach, and got wrapped in my line when I went to take a leak. The waves and the rip current, together with the uneven profile of the odd shaped desk, made the screaming drag and the pull seem different than dead weight, and was to me, like the fish of a lifetime.

I felt pretty stupid after that, glad there were only 2 other guys on the beach. :embarassed::laugh:

strikezone31
10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
I went out over the weekend and saw a guy casting out into the wind using clams and a 2oz sinker. He kept reeling it in looking surprised that it was not holding bottom. You can tell he was a googan.

DarkSkies
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
You can tell he was a googan.

How can you tell Strikezone? Are you sure he was a googan? Any signs other than that? Like a white bucket? Did it have any letters on the side? ;)

Frankiesurf
10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
You went and bought a high dollar dry top Rich, at least you don't look like a Goog anymore.:moon:

williehookem
12-20-2010, 02:40 PM
All this googan talk, let me ask you all something, is there some kind of surfcaster school you go to so you don't end up as a googan? Or is it just something we all have to go through when we start out.

rip316
12-20-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a Googan mistake Cardoc did. One day he tripped over a small woodstump and fell to all fours. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA I still can't resist.

vpass
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
I have a Googan mistake Cardoc did. One day he tripped over a small woodstump and fell to all fours. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA I still can't resist.

:ROFLMAO it gets funnier every time you bring that up.:ROFLMAO

vpass
12-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Basshunter, I got a similar story, only mine was moving in the current, so I could swear it was a trophy bass
:embarassed::laugh:

I have almost the same story it happen maybe 20 years ago with a few of my buds. We were bait fishing Breezy point area. A log snagged my line and my reel was screaming. I thought I had a Cow on. (this was at night)I walked a few city blocks before I landed that log. My buddies were busting my Balls, and to this day they still bring up that moment.:embarassed:

One of the first times I was learning to plug, I cast the plug out and my bail snapped shut on me. The mono snapped and the plug went sailing out into the ocean about 150 feet out. My uncle gave me that plug and I didn't want to tell him how I lost it, so i went swimming for it. I got it, but the water was like 50 degrees. Cold and shivering, I had to go home after that.:embarassed:

I lost a lot of plugs last year from both a hair line crack on the ring in my tip top that I couldn't see, and a bail that kept on closing on the cast. :embarassed:must of lost 50 to 80 dollars in plugs. Now I have a manual bail 704z when I'm casting metal lips.

cardoc765
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Here is my biggest googan mistake ever.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5091-Angler-of-the-Month-Story-of-the-Month-Contest&p=45253#post45253

Monty
12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Here is my biggest googan mistake ever.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5091-Angler-of-the-Month-Story-of-the-Month-Contest&p=45253#post45253

Cardoc:thumbsup:

These were this year:

I was out on the water, wading ocean side, 2:00 AM. I feel a bumping on my leg. Look down, there's a bunker swimming between my legs. Notice it a couple times, finally reach down and miss it with a couple swipes. I move a bout 20 feet and still notice the bumping, reach down again and miss it. Another 10 feet away and still look down and see this bunker between my legs. It dawns on me that this is not normal. I make a real effort and grab it, it was attached to line that had been cut, was wrapped to my one leg.

Late fall, ~3:00 AM in that heavy west wind, I ended up with a big Danny plug stuck in the middle of my back (was wearing a dry top/pullover) 2 guys walk by and we talk for a couple minutes, I had to much pride to say "do me a favor and dislodge that plug from the middle of my back". That wasn't fun in that cold and wind taking off the top and getting the plug. :wheeeee:

rip316
12-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I probably wouldn't have asked either. lmao

DarkSkies
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't want to steal the thunder from Monty's thread, as we have proclaimed him "StripersandAnglers Googan of the Fall" for the 2011 Season.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8090-I-win-the-googen-of-the-year-award

2 days later I put a hook in my palm due to not paying attention and getting my hand too close to a plug in the mouth of a thrashing bass.

Sheer stupidity. :beatin: :bucktooth:

I'm posting up here because Fin was there when it happened, so I can't hide from it or minimize it....I don't think he'll ever let me live it down....:2flip: :) :HappyWave:

Also posting to let ya's know it can happen to anyone...all it takes is a 1/2 sec of inattention, and you're hooked! :laugh: :bucktooth:

So, please learn from this, guys and gals....
it ain't that much fun hooking yourself, and if the fishing is good, you will lose out on valuable fishin time.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

Bloody plug

My hand, the next day.

Here's the treble that Fin cut with the dykes.

The original post, and some pics......

"I kind of ruined the flow for Fin when I put a hook in and out of my palm. :bucktooth: The fish lay on the beach and I didn't leader it as usual but grabbed it closer to the hook. Thank God Fin had dykes with him.. :thumbsup:The hook went clean through and we were able to crush the barb, cut it, and back it out.

More than embarassing because it's the first time I ever put a hook in my flesh, clean through. :beatin:

I know better...and that's the most embarassing part of all...http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png
I know he won't let me live the stupidity down, so I might as well come clean and fess up....;)

From now on I'll be crushing all my barbs, and will strongly be preaching that to you folks out there......

We missed out on valuable fishin time by dealing with that hook in palm. I know he would have had some bigger fish, but the opportunity had passed.......

Much gratitude to the Old Grouchy Basstard for being there....
I might have been in a little trouble without his quick thinking.....:clapping::clapping: "

LESSON to be learned from this... CRUSH YOUR BARBS!
You'll thank me, and Fin, if this ever happens to you.....

cowherder
11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the advice!

dogfish
11-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Dude, what's with the bandana? Joining up with the Bloods?:laugh:
Let's see a pic of the hook through your hand, you know you want to show it.

storminsteve
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Show the pic! Show the pic!

Monty
11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Wow, how long did Doctor Finchaser work on your hand?
Mines all better, stitch out today.
I guess it goes without saying never throw a plug that has hooks on with your hand (always use a rod).
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_3_f.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30_BLP.jpg

jonthepain
11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
ha ha good thing you had the Finster with you. When I did that exact same thing i had to hike a mile back down the beach with the fish attached to find my pliers, which had dropped out of the side pocket of my Carhartt painters pants when I sat on a log to eat my sammich.

Still not in the same class as throwing a plug at a tree branch, tho.

I think you get a lifetime achievement award (bucket?) for that one!

Monty
11-03-2011, 07:16 PM
:laugh:
:scared: Anything but the bucket.

I always carry a pair of these with me.
Have never used them on myself, I have used them often to release a fish (cut the hook) if the fish is hooked in a way that the cutters would get the fish back in the water much quicker.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_4_16_cutters.jpg

wish4fish
11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
wow monty dude thats a nasty gash how many stitches

surfstix1963
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
:laugh:
:scared: Anything but the bucket.

I always carry a pair of these with me.
Have never used them on myself, I have used them often to release a fish (cut the hook) if the fish is hooked in a way that the cutters would get the fish back in the water much quicker.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_4_16_cutters.jpgNice where you get them Monty.

Monty
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
wow monty dude thats a nasty gash how many stitches

Just the one (you can see the little holes). Was not bad at all.
Only painful time was when the plug was hanging.
Three hours after it happened the doctor numbed it, slit the skin to pull out.
He had pliers to grab it, but each time he grabbed it and pulled the pliers would slip off the hook, making that snapping sound you would here like if you were grabbing a buried nail with pliers but couldn't get a good grip and the pliers would slip off. Happened some 20 times, didn't hurt but the sound was making feel like "come on, grab that puppy and get it out".
Was really not painful, fished 3x this week (5+ hours per trip), a slight hindrance. I thought Dark's palm looked a lot worse than my finger.

Monty
11-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Nice where you get them Monty.

Ebay,Bolt Cutter Mini, have carried and used them for 3 years. I think I use a new pair each year. They cut every hook I use rather easy.
They are small enough to put on a surf belt.
Also think I bought them at Home Depot.

mick2360
11-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Karma can be a *****. I laughed at Monty and Chuckled at Dark....now I'm afraid to go near a treble hook....:scared:

DarkSkies
11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Late fall, ~3:00 AM in that heavy west wind, I ended up with a big Danny plug stuck in the middle of my back (was wearing a dry top/pullover) 2 guys walk by and we talk for a couple minutes, I had to much pride to say "do me a favor and dislodge that plug from the middle of my back". That wasn't fun in that cold and wind taking off the top and getting the plug. :wheeeee:

Somehow I missed seeing this one...that might be enough to get ya a 2nd place commendation...any more this week, and you might single-handedly sweep the S&A Fall Googan awards....:thumbsup: :laugh: :HappyWave:

Dude, what's with the bandana? Joining up with the Bloods?:laugh:
Let's see a pic of the hook through your hand, you know you want to show it.

The bandana was wrapped around my hand to stop the blood, so I could keep fishin. ;) :fishing:

Didn't take a pic of the hook in hand because we had a fish flopping at the other end, and we wanted to get the fish free and back in the water asap....also, I did feel a little embarassed by it all, and thought we might "forget" it happened..but with Fin yelling at me and calling me an effing dillydock, I knew there would be no sweeping this mistake under the googan rug...:laugh:

ha ha good thing you had the Finster with you. When I did that exact same thing i had to hike a mile back down the beach with the fish attached to find my pliers, which had dropped out of the side pocket of my Carhartt painters pants when I sat on a log to eat my sammich.

You would get an honorable mention for that if we had extended these awards Jon, what did your hand look like after the fish got done swinging back and forth? Bet it was pretty shredded up....:eek:

As far as scars and gashes go, I gotta give props to Monty, I think his looks nastier than mine....:drool: :clapping:

hookset
11-04-2011, 04:51 PM
also, I did feel a little embarassed by it all,[/B] and thought we might "forget" it happened..but with Fin yelling at me and calling me an effing dillydock, I knew there would be no sweeping this mistake under the googan rug...:laugh:[/COLOR]

Let me get this straight - you sleep in your car for days at a time, have waders that smell like they were accidentally dropped into a port a john, and smell like fish so bad that people have to fish upwind of you.
And you are embarassed to take a pic of a hook in your hand?:huh: What's up with that, dude?

madcaster
11-04-2011, 06:32 PM
I had a 9ft pole standing straight up in the rack in the back of my truck .I was driving from one spot to another. I was cruising along and I heard this soft snap. Really didn’t think much of it. I pull up to my next spot, get out and grab my pole. I look at the spool and all the line is missing.:scared: So I’m think now I know what that snap was:rolleyes:. Apparently my line snagged in a tree and as I drove down the road the line was being stripped off. I'm surprised I didn’t hear the drag screaming. So I went back to where it happen to pick up the line and the ava lure I had on. Put I couldn’t find any of it. Weird:kooky:

basshunter
11-04-2011, 07:47 PM
^ Yeah that was a goofy move madcaster. I bet when you got back to where it was you wished you could have a rewind button for your life. I have had that feeling at times too, if only, ha ha.

jonthepain
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
... you wished you could have a rewind button for your life.

wow i never thought of that! if only.

jonthepain
11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
You would get an honorable mention for that if we had extended these awards Jon, what did your hand look like after the fish got done swinging back and forth? Bet it was pretty shredded up....:eek:

ha ha not too bad, rich. it was a nice sized rainbow on a rainbow floating rapala, out at Round Valley, over on the other side of the lake. I hiked in over the mountain; I was painting a house in the subdivision over there, and would spend an hour or two every day on that beach.

couple of times i hit it just right, too!

unfortunately, that was one of those times. guess i was in a hurry to get the plug back in the water. one big shake, and, yah! them rapalas are sharp as hell!

thank God it wasn't a cow at the Hook or a chopper at Barnegat Inlet!

do i get a mini-bucket?

bababooey
11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Let me get this straight - you sleep in your car for days at a time, have waders that smell like they were accidentally dropped into a port a john, and smell like fish so bad that people have to fish upwind of you.
And you are embarassed to take a pic of a hook in your hand?:huh: What's up with that, dude?

X2!!:ROFLMAO :clapping::clapping:

bababooey
11-05-2011, 04:43 PM
wow i never thought of that! if only.

I would love to have a rewind button for my life. If possible, I would jump through the wormhole, living life as Ron Jeremy back in the 80's when he was banging all the hot porno stars, jump into the life of Bill Gates for awhile and take some awesome vacations, and jump into the life of George Bush and kill Osama when the chance first presented itself.

Oh, and I would ask Maryann DeAngelis, the girl with big hooters I couldn't talk to in high school, if I could get lost in those fun bags for awhile.:drool:

rockhopper
11-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah I would like a rewind button too, Every girl I was too shy to talk to, would be all over her, the king of smoothness and charm. I would be the booty call bandit!

jonthepain
11-05-2011, 11:03 PM
i think it was clinton that had the chance to bag bin laden and didn't.

porgy75
12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
"The Berkeley Striper Club had a record striper tagging weekend, as 347 bass were tagged from Friday through Sunday at Island Beach. Best of all, they also saved the life of a non-member surfcaster swept off a bar while trying to get closer to the fish -- and was being carried out to sea before a club member made a cast to him and kept him close enough to rescue."

Here is the letter he wrote to Berkeley:

My name is Todd Maiorano and I am able to write this note today beacause of the efforts of many of the members of the Berkeley Striper Club this past weekend. I was fishing off a bar in IBSP and quickly found where the end of the bar was. I was washed off by a wave and the current and was unable to make it back. As I began to drift further out to sea, fear set in as I witnessed the surfcasters on the beach getting further away. With the effects of the cold water and the weight of my wet clothes and waders that were beginning to fill, I honestly feel I only had a few more minutes left in me to fight. Unable to swim back, I can't tell you the thoughts that were going through my mind, but can say they are not ones you ever want to know or feel.

I was saved by many anglers on the beach that day and I am told they were all members of your club. Because of them, my three young children will have a daddy to watch over them and I will be able to grow old with my lovely wife. I was given a second chance....and am very thankful.

There are no words I can say that can express my gratitude towards these individuals. Please share my note with them and wish them well.

Fellow Surfcaster,
Todd Maiorano

hookset
12-16-2011, 12:15 PM
The follow up in OTW magazine, three cheers to the guys from Berkeley!

Andy Bidlingmaier who was part of the rescue effort was kind enough to provide this account:

The Berkeley Striper Club’s tagging tournament was this weekend. It’s always a good time with a lot of fun with a great group of guys. We fish hard for three days and enjoy each other’s company and the chops busting that goes along with it. This weekend is one that will be remembered for a long time.

I fished on team Relentless with Bristol Lou, Marc Yoccum and Tom Basile. We picked a spot that did very well by us. Just to our north was Team Barrier Island. We came upon this spot Friday and came back to it Saturday and Sunday.

It was a point with a bar in front running to the south, nice bowl to the south and a nice rip along the inside of the bar. Just to the north of the point was a cut through the bar, another nice bowl and bar to the north. Team Barrier Island was on the north side, Team Relentless on the south. We fished our side, they fished theirs, we met in the middle to talk, laugh and bust chops while JM Basile of Team Barrier Island gave us dirty looks. He was fishing hard.

Late in the day on Saturday, two guys walked over the dune, walked to the north side of the point and on their first cast, started banging fish. We finished up and went to the club meeting last night. The tired crew planned to be back at it Sunday morning at 6:00 am.

We got to our spot, Lou was there and had a cast in when I got there. Marc and Tom arrived a few minutes behind me, JM and the boys from Team Barrier Island were in place about the same time. Weather was beautiful, light breeze, mild – pre-dawn fishing at its best. Third cast and I’m in, and the fish is taking drag. I got her turned and on the beach, and tag and release the nice fat 33-inch bass. The tide was running hard out, all the water that came over the two bars into the two bowls and out the cut. It was getting late, I had peeled clothes off a few times changing from hoodie to dry top. Two guys in a Jeep Wrangler pull up and park at the point between the two teams. They walk down to the water cast and get a fish. The fishing was fast and furious for a bit. Things slowed as the sun got up. The tide was dropping and the water was getting thin.

The guys in the Jeep Wrangler were fishing in slightly deeper water, and were getting pounded by waves. They fished for a bit and they started backing out to the beach. I yell over “Where ya going?”

They replied, “We’re gonna make some changes, we’ll be back.”

They went back to their truck and changed clothes – they must have gotten wet. Though the fishing had shut off, they came back out and resumed casting. After a bit, I notice them walking behind me. “We’re going over that way,” one of the fishermen said, pointing to the north. Walking in deeper water in waders is treacherous. The sandy bottom is constantly changing, the waves and current are pulling and pushing you.

My friend Rick and I made a cast, and when we turned to look back, we saw one of the casters has stepped off the bar and into the cut. The water in the cut was deep and it was moving. The fisherman tried to get back on the bar but can’t, and was swept farther out the cut. Rick and I turn at once, and started moving toward the cut. The guy looks OK, head is above water and he’s bobbing in the waves. He turned and started to swim toward the beach. I began yelling to him to swim parallel to the beach, back to the bar. By trying to swim to the beach, he was fighting the current and making no progress.

Steven Perna and J.M. Basile, fishing on the other side of the cut see what’s going on and begin moving down toward the struggling angler. At this point, the other fishermen from the Jeep Wrangler steps off the bar in an attempt to save his friend, but he lucky finds his footing again. Steven mades a cast at the kid and got a hook into some of his clothing. The rod doubles over, but the angler is slowed down. By this time, the kid is in serious trouble. He’s still struggling to stay afloat, but you can see he’s getting extremely tired. J.M. handed his rod to someone standing on the bar and started wading toward the kid, yelling at him to try and relax. Realizing the situation was dire, the kid ditched his rod (though they’d later find out his lure had stuck to his thigh and the line had wrapped around his legs). He found bottom with his feet and pushed toward J.M. who grabbed him and dragged him back onto the sandbar. The guy was exhausted, and a group of anglers walked him toward to the beach. On dry land, we laid him on the sand, helped him remove the wet clothes and saw him leave the beach in the fire department vehicle destined for the hospital. It was a group effort getting this young man to the beach but Steven keeping his head and making a great cast slowed the fisherman down enough so J.M., who was putting his own life on the line, could pull the angler back to safety. I am proud to call them friends and glad I fish with surf savvy people that keep their heads.

Things can get ugly quickly, so as you finish up your surfcasting season, remember to watch your step, wear your wading belt, and always respect the ocean’s power.

CharlieTuna
12-16-2011, 12:47 PM
That is one lucky surfcaster.

DarkSkies
02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
** (Wait till that Old Grouchy Basstid sees this one, I know he won't let it slide by without comment).....:moon: :kiss: :kooky: :HappyWave:

I have a few nicknames out there, on the times when I'm actually sociable and fish where others are....;)

One of them is "Crazy M-effer"
Ya's can take that to mean what ya want, sometimes I forget to take my meds.....:boring:

Another is "Aquaman" :eek:
One night this fall there were a few of us fishin. We started catching around the same time. A regular I know was griping about "everyone catching on a black bomber", and he didn't have that one....:(

So I had just gotten a fish on it. Unhooked and released the fish, and handed him the bomber saying.....
Me:
"Here, Bro, go catch a fish on it.....
but if you lose this, you're buying me a new one, or giving up one of your plugs in trade before you walk out of here...you cool with that?" :beatin:

Him:
"Thanks bro, you're the best!"

3 minutes later he's locked solid in a rock 6 feet below him. :bigeyes:
He calls over to me with a bummed out voice....."I guess I'll be buyin ya a new one, then, I'm snagged solid"

Me:
"Too bad, bro, guess you will be buying me a new one or giving up one of your other plugs...."

I kept fishing, caught another fish...
5 minutes later I see he's still over there, fussing with that snagged plug...I mean bombers are cheap, if ya lose one it's just the cost of doing business out there.....

He kept saying...."But it's so close, it's so close, I can see it right there...."

I eventually felt sorry for him....(fatal flaw in my character...:rolleyes:)
Went over there, said: "OK, the swells are pretty bad, I'm gonna time the swell, and go down there and try to get it for ya"...

You gotta stand with your hand out while I'm doing it, in case it gets too hairy I need to grab your hand to get back up.....

(it was pretty close, but the swells can be overwhelming at times, that's one of the reasons on the internet you will find an article I created.)

Google
"groundswells and other terms
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=29&gs_id=24&xhr=t&q=%22groundswells+and+other+terms&pf=p&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS467&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=%22groundswells+and+other+terms&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=42cc5e74084ccaa2&biw=1024&bih=559
to read the article.

I timed the swells, got his plug back, but not before a higher wave from the mid-period swell that night broke over my head...and he and another guy had to help me back up in this drama filled moment in time....

Again, it would have been best to just consider that plug as donated to King Neptune...
Another friend who was there at the time gave me grief for helping that guy...if it was mine I would have just yanked to get the braid and leader back and moved on with another plug.....

Stories, stories, there are so many of them out there.. some good some bad.
but really, I want to to stress safety, over all else, how sad would it be for your family if you went out there, and didn't come home from a night of fishin?...I had the dubious pleasure of fishing next to a drunk guy the other night,...no business being out there in those conditions.,..glad to see he didn't turn up dead wh

jigfreak
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
:kooky:Hey, Aquaman, when are you going to stop being helpful to the googs? If he lost that plug in 3 mins he couldnt of been much of a jetty guy. One of these days you are going to get washed off. Eff the googs, think of yourself.

bababooey
02-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Dark is the pied piper of googans, he seems to meet them whereever he goes.

surfstix1963
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
You name it I made it lol

Monty
02-25-2012, 08:04 AM
You name it I made it lol
:HappyWave:
But I make up new ones.....:laugh:

DarkSkies
02-25-2012, 02:43 PM
^^I still don't think I'll ever be able to top this one....
snagged with his own surf gear...:eek:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8090-I-win-the-googen-of-the-year-award&p=54405&highlight=googan+year#post54405

And 50 miles away from the surf, no less... :ROFLMAO
An Official Googan Certificate will be presented, Monty, the next time I run into ya...be prepared....:laugh: :HappyWave:

Monty
02-25-2012, 03:09 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8090-I-win-the-googen-of-the-year-award&p=54405&highlight=googan+year#post54405

And 50 miles away from the surf, no less...

I have set the bar at a relatively high level....Now you have something to shoot for........
Still have a wee bit of numbness and a bump in my pinky to remind me to think twice about throwing a plug with hooks on....... by hand (without a rod)....

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30hook.jpg

cowherder
02-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Awesome pic Monty! It could happen to anyone I guess. As long as you learn. PS how much blood was there pouring out of that when you got to the hospital?

jigfreak
07-01-2013, 01:34 PM

And 50 miles away from the surf, no less... :ROFLMAO
An Official Googan Certificate will be presented, Monty, the next time I run into ya...be prepared....:laugh: :HappyWave:

I have set the bar at a relatively high level....Now you have something to shoot for........
Still have a wee bit of numbness and a bump in my pinky to remind me to think twice about throwing a plug with hooks on....... by hand (without a rod)....

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_30hook.jpg

You should give him some kind of trophy for that one DS.
I found a better one, not me, but a report someone posted on the internet.
Buying a VS and all the top gear that comes with it, awesome.
Carrying that gear on the beach, so all the guys on the bluffs standing there with the binocs will nod at you with a cool seal of approval as you walk by.
You have arrived, you are now a hardcore surfcaster, one of the cool kids.

Taking that gear to the beach using it to baitfish for porgies, and posting a glowing report online - Priceless. The very definition of super awesome.

rockhopper
07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
^^^^ haha ths guy came to Montauk and fished for porgies instead of bass? LOL!

jigfreak
07-01-2013, 01:53 PM
RH no this was in NJ.

nitestrikes
07-04-2013, 03:10 PM
You should give him some kind of trophy for that one DS.
I found a better one, not me, but a report someone posted on the internet.
Buying a VS and all the top gear that comes with it, awesome.
Carrying that gear on the beach, so all the guys on the bluffs standing there with the binocs will nod at you with a cool seal of approval as you walk by.
You have arrived, you are now a hardcore surfcaster, one of the cool kids.

Taking that gear to the beach using it to baitfish for porgies, and posting a glowing report online - Priceless. The very definition of super awesome.

When you have been doing this thing long enough nothing phases you any more. One night at the Point we were all fishing and working the rip. One lone fisherman comes out in the midst of us all to clam fish. In the middle of the rip, at Montauk at night, with clams, when everyone else around him is plugging. What was his weapon of choice? A VS 250.

I think some fellas who are not that progressed in their abilities think that using top gear will make them a better fisherman. Only by spending the time on the water does that happen. This individual may have thought that if he had a VS he could have handled any fish. But a VS 250 for clam fishing, when he had his rod away from the water and there wasn't any danger of getting it wet? Its overkill, and not smart. This is only my opinion. Happy 4th of July to all the S&A fishermen and their families.

J Barbosa
07-05-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't see why the need to criticize what gear people choose to fish with. What would be any different if he choose to fish with a cheap reel instead???

If this guy already owns a van stall for targeting bass should he go out and buy cheaper reels for when he wants to bottom fish?

I have a VS 150 do I really also need to own a Quantum Catalyst pt 40 and a Penn Battle 4000? No but I do...and they are all in the same size class.

If I go catch some bottom fish on my VS 150 will you guys bust my balls too? I may just go do that tomorrow morning.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/9217001404_530e951cd1_b.jpg

Monty
07-05-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't see why the need to criticize what gear people choose to fish with. What would be any different if he choose to fish with a cheap reel instead???
If this guy already owns a van stall for targeting bass should he go out and buy cheaper reels for when he wants to bottom fish?
I have a VS 150 do I really also need to own a Quantum Catalyst pt 40 and a Penn Battle 4000? No but I do...and they are all in the same size class.
If I go catch some bottom fish on my VS 150 will you guys bust my balls too? I may just go do that tomorrow morning.

Well said JB. I agree 100%.
So many people have this preconception that because someone is using a VS or Zee Baas or other expensive gear that they think that person feels he is better than everyone or an expert or is clueless. On many sites, including this one, posts are splattered all over taking shots at guys who fish with expensive gear. They should fish with what makes them happy and stop judging people who are happy fishing with what they enjoy fishing with.

storminsteve
07-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh come on its a little pretentious to fish for porgies with a $700 reel. Was the dude skishing or climbing on jetties to get them? jbarbosa I love your reports and posts but if you start crabbing with gold plated crab traps I will certainly bust your balls!:bucktooth:
monty if you start looking for dead things and bringing a butler with you who carries your grey poupon I will bust your balls too!:HappyWave:
Sorry I agree with jigfreak and nitestrikes.

Monty
07-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Oh come on its a little pretentious to fish for porgies with a $700 reel. Was the dude skishing or climbing on jetties to get them? jbarbosa I love your reports and posts but if you start crabbing with gold plated crab traps I will certainly bust your balls!:bucktooth:
monty if you start looking for dead things and bringing a butler with you who carries your grey poupon I will bust your balls too!:HappyWave:
Sorry I agree with jigfreak and nitestrikes.

:ROFLMAO , when I found the 4 dead things on that one trip I kinda had a butler scouting as I fished....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
07-08-2013, 11:58 AM
:ROFLMAO , I kinda had a butler scouting as I fished....:HappyWave:

See....I'm trying to stay out of the discissions here....and you draw me into the thread......:moon:
I resign as the butler/chief scout.......
I'm probably much better at defining the perimeter.....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8636-Headless-Torso-at-Sandy-Hook

No respect around here,,,,no respect.....;) :laugh: :HappyWave:

CharlieTuna
07-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Perhaps a better way to look at it is that we were all googans at one time. It represents nursery school for the beginning angler and we all have to go through it. Some get out of that school and some have to repeat the same grade over and over.

finchaser
07-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Perhaps a better way to look at it is that we were all googans at one time. It represents nursery school for the beginning angler and we all have to go through it. Some get out of that school and some have to repeat the same grade over and over.Oh like DS over and over great observation:clapping::clapping:

robmedina
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I just did one yesterday. I am on vacation in the poconos. We rented a house right on the lake. I say that because since I can just jump on my yak anytime I want and shoot out I have thrown caution to the wind. So I was out yesterday morning and was catching Large mouth bass like crazy so I decided I would get a cool pic of one half way in the water and half out with the lure in his mouth. Well the first two shots the bass looked too far away so I decided to bring him yak side and put the camera right up to his face. Well when I did the rascal jumped and knocked the camera out of my hand and it fell into the abyss. SO not only was that a jackass move on my part but there were a lot of our vacation pics on there...

Monty
07-10-2013, 10:46 PM
I just did one yesterday. SO not only was that a jackass move on my part but there were a lot of our vacation pics on there...
Stuff happens to us all out there, leave it to the fish to bring the true googan out of us. Darn Large Mouth....

albiealert
07-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear that rob. I did that with a cell phone camera once. Was at a marina and trying to make the fish look bigger by maneuvering my hand and dropped the camera into the drink. I would have killed to get that camera back. Expensive lesson. Happens to the best of us.

robmedina
07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
thanks for the condolences but all in all its the little things like this that makes our memories. I will always remember the time I dropped my camera in the lake LOL! funny thing is since being here I broke 2 fishing rods and my nice basswood paddle. But it sure beats last year when we were in OBX NC and on the first night I got sashimi and got food poison and pooped and vomited the whole week! Ahhh life is grand!

jonthepain
07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
thanks for the warning. we're going to the obx sunday for our annual week in duck.

i'll stay away from the sashimi!

DarkSkies
07-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Rob, like others have said stuff happens....I recently fried my phone by getting it wet and haven't yet got around to replacing it.....this was the 2nd time in 6 months.....
I ruined a few cameras as well...one time I borrowed Pebbles' beautiful camera to take fishing with me...left it in a white bucket......I was wading the flats at night with a friend....we were catching fish and nothing else was in our focus......:headbang:

2 hours later I waded back to find the camera gone, washed away.....:(
I returned the next day and managed to find 95% of what was in that bucket...my white Googan bucket.....:laugh:
That was an expensive lesson for me...and a sign that I had to move away from carrying the Googan bucket with me.....:beatin:

I had to buy Pebbles a new $700 camera as a replacement.......:bucktooth:

So, we all learn lessons out there.....what I learned from my camera mis-haps was to always have that strap wrapped on my wrist no matter what.....
Sorry to hear of your trouble....hope you enjoy the rest of your trip....:HappyWave:

Monty
07-11-2013, 08:45 PM
what I learned from my camera mis-haps was to always have that strap wrapped on my wrist no matter what.....
I use a lanyard. .....if I didn't could you imagine how many cameras I would loose....

DarkSkies
07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh like DS over and over great observation:clapping::clapping:

:2flip: :moon:
Another way to look at it....is I give you old farts something to talk about......
The smells have never been so pungent, as after I leave Castaways and you Old Grouchy Basstids try to figure out which dumpster I've been sleeping in..... based on the aroma that follows me.......:laugh: :kiss:

bababooey
08-18-2014, 09:06 AM
You know how everyone is trying to film everything? Sometimes it might be a good idea to leave the camera at home.
Beserker Rods - You make em we break em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sicG3opOE8

Fishing rod representative catches a bad break
Alex Stevens hooked up to an estimated 500-pound goliath grouper that the fishing rod he was testing couldn?t handle, breaking it in two at the handle

July 24, 2014 by David Strege (http://www.grindtv.com/author/david-strege/?rel=author)
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/fishing-rod-representative-catches-bad-break/

DarkSkies
05-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Rob...hope ya don't mind that I saw this in the other thread, and posted it here.....

I fished the jetty on Friday took a nice fall, cracked my phone and sliced the tip of my pinky almost all the way off LOL. That's what I get for walking on the jetty and talking on the phone at the same time!

I've done that and worse.....I burn up a new phone every year because of some stupid fall....or getting it wet despite my best intentions....it's so bad with me that I finally decided to stop carrying a phone...but that puts you in another whole risk category when you're out in a dangerous area by yourself...or out on a kayak deep in the night....solo....

We all live and learn from these...sorrry to hear of that experience....and hopefully we all learn from it...pal.....:HappyWave:

robmedina
05-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Rob...hope ya don't mind that I saw this in the other thread, and posted it here.....

I've done that and worse.....I burn up a new phone every year because of some stupid fall....or getting it wet despite my best intentions....it's so bad with me that I finally decided to stop carrying a phone...but that puts you in another whole risk category when you're out in a dangerous area by yourself...or out on a kayak deep in the night....solo....

We all live and learn from these...sorrry to hear of that experience....and hopefully we all learn from it...pal.....:HappyWave:
LOL, its called getting old!

Monty
05-18-2015, 07:10 AM
LOL, its called getting old!

(Like making the mistake of fishing in LI...when NJ is experiencing the best bluefish bite in years......):moon: :HappyWave:

My biggest goog move has not been blocking your number on my cell this year.......at least I am having a great time fishing, Your the poster boy for ACF.

Rob takes the lead in 2015, (hope your ok).

I fished the jetty on Friday took a nice fall, cracked my phone and sliced the tip of my pinky almost all the way off LOL. That's what I get for walking on the jetty and talking on the phone at the same time!

surfrob
05-18-2015, 07:37 AM
what are some of the googan mistakes you made? I opened a package of rubber shads and started casting them while the hook protector was still on.

done that

surfrob
05-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Rob, like others have said stuff happens....I recently fried my phone by getting it wet and haven't yet got around to replacing it.....this was the 2nd time in 6 months.....
I ruined a few cameras as well...one time I borrowed Pebbles' beautiful camera to take fishing with me...left it in a white bucket......I was wading the flats at night with a friend....we were catching fish and nothing else was in our focus......:headbang:

2 hours later I waded back to find the camera gone, washed away.....:(
I returned the next day and managed to find 95% of what was in that bucket...my white Googan bucket.....:laugh:
That was an expensive lesson for me...and a sign that I had to move away from carrying the Googan bucket with me.....:beatin:

I had to buy Pebbles a new $700 camera as a replacement.......:bucktooth:

So, we all learn lessons out there.....what I learned from my camera mis-haps was to always have that strap wrapped on my wrist no matter what.....
Sorry to hear of your trouble....hope you enjoy the rest of your trip....:HappyWave:

ok doesn't quite add up to ruining a wife's camera... but I had one cell phone with me trout fishing, jumped some rocks, up it pops out of my top shirt pocket and I watch "ploink" into the drink. done and never found.

Replaced it, then went kayak fishing in the bay a little while later, had it in a water proof bag. Well, it was not. Doink, next one gone.

Replaced that one with a scratched up, used, factory refurb, which of course never was dinged further, lost, stopped working or otherwise died. Still have it,
though since these 3 were all flip phones I've since upgraded as the old "data plan" and "browser" that those phones had don't work on the new "interweb" LOL

robmedina
05-19-2015, 06:26 AM
LOL! well at least I am in the lead on something. On the bright side, my pinky sits on the table better now that I have a flat spot in it, lol!

surferman
08-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Have to nominate myself for this screw up. I have been fishing with clams when I go out. Last trip when I came home I was tired and put a bucket of clams near the back of my shed as I unloaded. I fully intended to put them in the fridge. A week later I noticed a horrible smell and thought something had died. I was shocked when I followed the smell and found those rotten clams. They were dis-gus-ting. Maggots and flies were all over.:upck:

surferman
08-01-2015, 10:43 AM
though since these 3 were all flip phones I've since upgraded as the old "data plan" and "browser" that those phones had don't work on the new "interweb" LOL

Wow 3 phones that can get expensive. Hope you had accident insurance!

rockhopper
07-01-2016, 08:33 AM
LOL! well at least I am in the lead on something. On the bright side, my pinky sits on the table better now that I have a flat spot in it, lol!

Haha well at least you have a positive attitude about it!

rockhopper
07-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Wow 3 phones that can get expensive. Hope you had accident insurance!
X2 have done that as well. Alwsys pay extra for the replacement plan if your the type that roams the outdoors especially the rocks.

7deadlyplugs
11-01-2016, 04:01 PM
I lost my PB Bass striper because the leader was frayed and I didn't check it. Don't make that same mistake guys check your leaders.

Monty
11-01-2016, 09:14 PM
I lost my PB Bass striper because the leader was frayed and I didn't check it. Don't make that same mistake guys check your leaders.
That's a tough one. Would take me some time to get over that.
I did something recently I have never done before. Buried a hook in finger while plug was attached to a bass.
I carry small bolt cutters so quickly cut hook, released bass and then just pulled hook through finger, taped up and fished.
Not a big issue, over quick, but was a bit careless.

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2016_10_20_Bloody_Finger_1.jpg?w=850

dogfish
11-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Ouch, happens to the best of us. Nce bloody pic thanks for sharing.