PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive vs expensive lures

jigfreak
11-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I have almost as many inexpensive $5 lures as I have lures that cost $20 or more. I am finding that the $5 lures work just as well. I think I might stop stock piling the expensive ones.

Monty
11-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I agree 100%.
As a matter of fact I have been selling some of the more expensive ones the last 5 months.
WIsh some caught fish as good as they catch fisherman:rolleyes:.

cowherder
11-15-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm just starting my saltwater addiction, and I can see how easy it is to get "hooked". So I am mostly starting with bombers and lower end stuff. They seem to catch pretty well.

voyager35
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Cowherder, there is nothing wrong with bombers. That simple design has been catching fish for decades.

gjb1969
02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
sometime u will be suprised i have a few cheap lures that i use all the time and some are go to lures so its cool if i loose them so what!! they are cheapin the wal mart by me ther is a closeout box all the lures are one buck i may buy the whole box:fishing: tite lines and good fishing:fishing:

Rip-Plugger
02-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Man,,,as all of us can see,it has gotten waaay out of control.
newbies get told to buy these DESIGNER pieces and they don't know any better.they get caught and some of those pretty plugs don't catch well at all.
some buy and try to resell at a higher price.I feel bad for the new guys because they are not being told the whole truth at all.

I don't know how well thought out they are during designing but,a lot of them just catch fishermen.

bombers work very well,windcheaters,thunderstick-50's[storm],they all work great.
as for wood,building such must be well thought out in it's design and execution.
Monty has found that out all too well,he's damn near sharpie status now.
anyhow,NO,ya don't need a 30 dollar plug to catch,just fish what catches.

all of us know capt bills plugs right?,,,guess what,they catch like hell and they are cheap and simple design,the upgraded pro series also catches very well,I'm not ashamed to own or fish them,they produce and thats the name of the game.
SO,buy what you beieve will catch it need not be 25 bucks!

R-P

fishincrazy
02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Man,,,as all of us can see,it has gotten waaay out of control.
newbies get told to buy these DESIGNER pieces and they don't know any better.they get caught and some of those pretty plugs don't catch well at all.
some buy and try to resell at a higher price.I feel bad for the new guys because they are not being told the whole truth at all.

I don't know how well thought out they are during designing but,a lot of them just catch fishermen.

bombers work very well,windcheaters,thunderstick-50's[storm],they all work great.
as for wood,building such must be well thought out in it's design and execution.
Monty has found that out all too well,he's damn near sharpie status now.
anyhow,NO,ya don't need a 30 dollar plug to catch,just fish what catches.

all of us know capt bills plugs right?,,,guess what,they catch like hell and they are cheap and simple design,the upgraded pro series also catches very well,I'm not ashamed to own or fish them,they produce and thats the name of the game.
SO,buy what you beieve will catch it need not be 25 bucks!

R-P

I've got some Capt Bills they don't run true they roll over I've tried adjusting them but no good.I seem to have the best luck with bombers,and Super strike stuff.I've got some wood but haven't caught on them.Usually my goto is Storm Shads.

FC:eek:

surfstix1963
02-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Checkout youtube fishing with spongebob funny stuff.Ilike my superstrikes,hopkins, kastmasters and bombers not much of a bucktail guy.Trying my hand at some plug kits to get me through the winter that damn tailwrap as easy as it looks got me going crazy:eek:

jonthepain
02-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I try to only put a couple of plugs in my bag when I hit the beach. If I am changing plugs, I am not fishing.

But I always bring a cheap diamond jig with a red or white rubber tube. Sometimes it's the only thing that will reach the blitz, and it works.

And if the line breaks on the cast, it just might hit some Frenchie in the back of the head.

Rip-Plugger
02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
I've got some Capt Bills they don't run true they roll over I've tried adjusting them but no good.I seem to have the best luck with bombers,and Super strike stuff.I've got some wood but haven't caught on them.Usually my goto is Storm Shads.

FC:eek:

Fish,
don't know how much you know about them but,I have 16 of them with 4 being of the pro series,not a single one was bad,I did tune them to run the way I want.
most important is the lip angle,if it's too far down,it will roll but then if the eye is bent too far down they will too.
I'll take them off your hands if you want to make room for other plugs.I'll even send you the shipping cost.
lemme Know.

R-P

Rip-Plugger
02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm just starting my saltwater addiction, and I can see how easy it is to get "hooked". So I am mostly starting with bombers and lower end stuff. They seem to catch pretty well.

hey cow,

don't forget them windcheaters!!!

R-P

clamchucker
02-17-2009, 06:11 AM
I fish mostly plastic plugs, metal jigs, rubber shads, and bucktails. Once in a while I will fish a wooden plug. They do have their place in the angler's arsenal. Wooden pencil poppers are the ideal thing to use when big bass are pinning adult bunker tight to the beach. The best thing about inexpensive offerings, as jon and others said, is that you don't feel so bad when you lose one.

jonthepain
02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
a striper swiper is good to have when they are boiling the surface. nothing like seeing those first couple of misses to get the adrenaline pumping!

surfwalker
02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm really impressed by some of these plugs. The workmanship, paint and balance are trulely remarkable, too nice, but I just can't afford anything like that. My cheapies that have produced for me are rattle canned at the end of the year. If Blues are around, then all they get are the crapiest poppers with a barbless tail hook only or an old metal that has some reflective tape on, all these probably shoulda been retired 5 years ago.

Happy Trails

CharlieTuna
02-18-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm really impressed by some of these plugs. The workmanship, paint and balance are trulely remarkable, too nice, but I just can't afford anything like that. My cheapies that have produced for me are rattle canned at the end of the year. If Blues are around, then all they get are the crapiest poppers with a barbless tail hook only or an old metal that has some reflective tape on, all these probably shoulda been retired 5 years ago.

Happy Trails

There is nothing wrong with recycling plugs for the bluefish to chew on, or painting a plug to give it new life. That's a good trait to have in the throwaway society we live in today.