PDA

View Full Version : Best part of fishing is the take and give

bluesdude71
11-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Best part of fishing is the take and give

by By Al Jones/The Biloxi Sun-Herald Friday November 14, 2008, 6:08 PM

Living and growing up in South Mississippi has offered many opportunities throughout my life when it comes to my love for the outdoors.

Whether it's hunting, fishing or boating, South Mississippians of all ages have a smorgasbord of things to do, year-round.
We all know freshwater and saltwater fishing is as good as it gets on the Mississippi Coast. If you love pursuing bass on the many rivers or lakes or chasing speckled trout in the bayous and canals, living in South Mississippi truly is paradise.
This week, in the middle of juggling Southern Miss football and the great news that Golden Eagle coach Barney Farrar had whipped throat cancer, I decided it was time to explore uncharted waters - literally.

Instead of fishing for bass or specks, I decided it was time to explore the resources and do both - in the same day.
It all started with my friend Willie Santiago in hopes of landing a few bass in the Pearl River. The day ended with a trip near Bayou Bernard with my father, Ted Jones, looking for specks.
In between, nothing mattered because the day started good and ended great.

Shortly after the sun rose Willie and I hit the west Pearl River casting my favorite bait, the Red Shad worm, along with cranks baits and spinnerbaits.
Conditions were near perfect, so we felt like the action was going to be fierce.
Keep in mind, a bad day fishing is better than any regular day around the house.

Why would I mention that?
It took more than three hours of hard fishing before Willie landed the first bass.
My right shoulder was sore from casting, but I was determined to make the most of the situation considering I've never been shut out on a bass trip.

Things at this point favored a shutout.
A few minutes later, while working a patch of lily pads, Willie caught another fish, then a third.
Still no fish for me.
At this point I was limited to a single bite that caught me off guard between naps.
With each cast I felt stumps and tree limbs under the water as I slowly retrieved my worm back toward the boat.
When my drought reached four hours, I was ready to give up.
Then I started to reel the plastic worm in and something felt different.

Instead of a traditional bite, the bass sucked up the worm the moment I began to retrieve it. The hookup, which was by mistake, didn't set in until my pole bent over and line started off the reel.
Finally, I'd hooked a fish.
Or, the fish hooked me.
Either way, the morning adventure proved every fish we catch is a blessing from the Good Lord upstairs