PDA

View Full Version : Freezing fish

seamonkey
11-20-2008, 01:06 PM
As a general rule I eat the fish I keep within a day or two. The few times I freeze it I seal in a ziplock bag. Problem is that ice forms in the bag. Is there another to freeze fish?

CharlieTuna
11-21-2008, 07:52 AM
I bought a vacuum sealer years ago. It's well worth the initial investment. There is a noticable difference in freshness. Try it, you won't go back to shoving the fish in a plastic bag or foil anymore.

voyager35
11-21-2008, 09:37 AM
+2 for the vacuum sealer.:thumbsup:

baitstealer
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
How long do you guys keep frozen fish for? I have some from Sept. almost a year ago. Would it still taste mighty fine?

voyager35
08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Baitstealer, it all depends how you initially froze it. I never let fresh water touch my fillets. Clean them with salt water, blot them off, and either vacuum dry like mentioned above or wrap thoroughly in foil. For bass fillets I use zip-lok bags.

JakeF
08-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I never let fresh water touch my fillets.

Why not? I've not found that it affects the flavor in the least.

In the absence of a vaccum sealer, here's a great way to freeze fresh fillets that you intend on keeping in the freezer for an extended period of time. If you do this, you can use regular ziplock freezer bags, and have essentially zero chance of freezer burn. Put the fillets in the bag, then fill the bag about 2/3 of the way with clean water. Next, Zip the top closed about 90% of the way, and squeeze the bag until all the air is out of it, leaving only the fillets and water in the bag. Zip the bag closed the rest of the way and freeze.

I've had fish frozen like this for nearly a year and it still tasted nearly as good as it would have if it was fresh. :thumbsup:

skinner
08-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Why not? I've not found that it affects the flavor in the least.

That's the way an old sea captain taught me many years ago also. I've been doing it that way for so long, not using fresh water. He also taught me to bleed out right away every fish that I intend to keep, so that's probably part of what makes the fish more tasty, imo

JakeF
08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Interesting. I'll have to try it that way and see if I can tell any difference. ;)
I agree with bleeding em out as soon as possible,,, that does make a big difference.

hookset
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Just received my vacuum sealer. Now all I need is the fish. BTW how do I bleed the fish?