PDA

View Full Version : Looking for small boat for the bay

pescador29
03-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Im sick of watching the fish just out of reach. Thinking about getting a boat. I want to start small with a used boat to fish the bay, Can anyone help with advice?

ledhead36
03-08-2008, 07:50 PM
You have to seriously think about exactly what you will be using it for. If strictly for fishing, and never for family, you would be ok with an open face smaller boat, like an aluminum 18-20 footer. You will save on gas with a boat like this. You could also find a great deal on one of these right now, as people look to trade up to bigger boats.

However, you will be limited fishing in colder and wetter weather, and if the bay gets choppy, I would want a minimum of 20 feet. I have been out in 16footers in November swells, but that's a little hairy for a beginner. A 18 -20foot boat will keep you safer if you fish more.

Check out the kinds of boats your friends are using. Ask them if they would buy the same boat again, and why/why not. Buying a boat is not a decision to make on impulse. Most likely you will be selling your first boat within a year or 2 as your needs change. You are in the right place. good questions to ask.

Just take your time, collect your data, and talk to as many experienced people as you can.

voyager35
03-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I vote for the aluminum bay boat. Lighter, easier to trailer, and the newer ones won't leak. Check out a Crestliner, one of the best welds in the industry.

gjb1969
11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
cc 20 foot i like them my buddy has one easy to handle it can be used in most of our bays to go after bass blues tog i am looking at one now its smaller but its ok i dont fish that far out its cool for me good luck

rip316
12-25-2009, 11:05 AM
I have a 22' center console. seaquest 2200bluewater. My wife wanted a cabin but shes not paying for it so I got what I wanted. It's perfect for the bay and rivers and on a nice day it;s real nice in the ocean.