PDA

View Full Version : Fish Mount

Mike O
11-23-2008, 09:42 AM
This is a general ? for anyone. Suppose I catch a large bass on the beach, how long could that fish stay alive so that I could take measurements in case I wanted to get a replica mount of that fish? Thanks in advance.

Mike O

stripercrazy
11-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I've never done it, but might do it if it was close to 50 and healthy. With bigger fish you have to be careful how you handle them so you minimize damage to internal organs.

The most important are length and girth measurements, which you could do in a few seconds. It doesn't have to be perfect, close is enough. If it's got a big gut, measure at that point. A quick pic, and revive her to swim again. The guy who does the replica will be working off your pic, the measurements, and other fish he's done before.

captnemo
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
You know, the answer to that would vary depending on if it was the heat of the summer, or the colder waters of spring or fall. As mentioned, I would do it as quickly as possible, and get the fish back.

Mike D
11-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Measure length, girth around head, girth behind gills and girth behind dorsal fin. TAKE GOOD PICTURES showing color and detail. Then get her back in the water. Should take all of 2 minutes.

If you have a good taxidermist the pictures will be key to a good mount. If you don't, it will look like a every ceramic mount I've ever seen before and they all look like the same fish :embarassed: