View Full Version : NJ Fishing reports for the Week of 11-24 to 11-30-08

bunkerjoe4
11-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

bunkerjoe4
11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
NJ WIR 11-24-08

Folks, the quantity of fish has remained about the same, but the sizes have decreased. It reminds me of the fluke season where surfcasters could go weeks at a time without catching a keeper. These smaller bass are available for those willing to brave the cold and elements. Some days are better than others, particularly when we get a few sunny days in a row. That will be happening less and less as the days shrink shorter. The water temperatures have dropped to the point where ocean temps are in the high 40 degree range in many places. This is still warm enough to catch bass, but they are sluggish unless actively feeding on bait. In some ocean areas, you can catch bass throughout the winter on clams.

NY WIR 11-24-08

Bass are still being caught off the South Shore of Long Island, though the action is diminishing. Some members have contacted me to let me know that while I was saying the action was lessening on the North Shore, they were still catching bass in some of the back bays. I stand corrected, then. I put out these WIR reports as a courtesy to all our members, and at times must make generalizations. There are times when members will post or call in a report, and only want the most minimal details mentioned. I must respect their wishes. I am always grateful for any updates or corrections any of you might have.

Although smaller fish seem to be the norm, there are some nicer catches. Last week, I received a report of a very nice 50" bass caught in Staten Island. I think it weighed in at around 42lbs. The guy caught it on a bunker head, and it was allegedly one of the only fish caught that day in that area.

So you never know, that's why they call it fishing, not catching.:)

The bait is still around. Sandeels remain in large quantities just past the bar on many beaches. Herring and shad are still available in certain areas. There will be periodic blitzes and opportunities as long as they stick around. There are shots at bigger bass as the last of the larger ones make their way past us. Sometimes the surfcasters will get the chance, other times it will run in favor of the boaters. Boat fishermen have been having some incredible days lately, catching and releasing large amounts of sub-legal bass. However, bear in mind that significant catches of larger fish are now being reported in the Delmarva area.

We again think about the temperatures. Is it worth it to hit the sand for a few hours when you have no guarantee of catching anything? Wouldn't it be easier to sit at home in the comfort of an easy chair? The answer is whatever you want it to be. Everyone has their personal preference and priorities. If you do go out, please over rather than under prepare. Extra layers always come in handy this time of year. Prepare for the possibilty of getting wet, and try to be near shelter or your vehicle if you need a quick change of clothes. These cold and windy conditions have been tough lately. Protect yourself against frostbite.

The bass can be found, but may continue to present more of a challenge. Many give up, but being out in the solitude of nature this time of year is invigorating as well. Remember that bucktails work year round, and are a great choice when the fish are less active.

If you do want to catch some of these fish, slow your presentation down, and have some fun!

vpass
11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
fished NoMoCo. from 5:30am to 10:00am. caught 9 bass to 29 inches, and 6 hickory shads. Most fish caught on teaser. the Keeper was caght on a chicken scratch bomber. Lots of bait around, and Birds working off shore. The bite ended when the wind shift to the south.

fishinmission78
11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Fished a little above Ibsp this morning, threw plugs, jigs, once sunrise came, water was dead.

captnemo
11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Off Sandy Hook and some of the Raritan Bay channels yesterday. The bass action was great, although we only managed one keeper. They hit diamond jigs and storm shads near the bottom, approximately 70 bass between the 2 of us, most in the 22-24" range.

DarkSkies
11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
fished NoMoCo. from 5:30am to 10:00am. caught 9 bass to 29 inches, and 6 hickory shads. Most fish caught on teaser. the Keeper was caght on a chicken scratch bomber. Lots of bait around, and Birds working off shore. The bite ended when the wind shift to the south.

Nice work, man you really slammed em.:clapping:

yardvillejimmy
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Late Report. Fished Ocean County Sunday evening. Caught one 27 inch striper and lost one fish using mambo minnows

storminsteve
11-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Fished somoco this morning from 6-7:30. Conditions were wet, it seemed like fishy weather. I threw storm shads on the sides of some jetties, outgoing. Total skunk.

Mike D
11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Off Sandy Hook and some of the Raritan Bay channels yesterday. The bass action was great, although we only managed one keeper. They hit diamond jigs and storm shads near the bottom, approximately 70 bass between the 2 of us, most in the 22-24" range.

We did that RB Bird Dance last Fri with 4 of us. 150 bass in that 22-26" range and left them biting for deeper water. We did manage a few keepers heading out past the hook oceanside but not over 32".

I may go back Sat. :rolleyes:

vpass
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Fished NoMoCo from 3:00pm to 5:30pm. caught 2 shorts. 1 on a teaser and the other on crippled herring. The waves were big from 4 to 6 feet. no wind to speak of. Will be out at first light hope the ocean calms down a bit.

jigfreak
11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
SH from 5-6:30, last of the incoming. One schoolie 22" on a spro bucktail and teaser. The bass hit the bucktail.

wish4fish
11-26-2008, 11:40 AM
nomoco sunrise, fish pod started out pretty far, never came in. got 2 bass on a deadlydick while I was waiting, dragging it on the bottom. small bass, biggest 23"

vpass
11-26-2008, 11:55 AM
NoMoCo this morning from 6:00am to 10:00am. many shorts from rat to about 24 inches. 2 on teasers the rest on crippled herring. getting bored where are the big stripers. If the surf calm down a bit more tomorrow. I'm going to fly rod these shorts.:)

clamchucker
11-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Fished Ocean county this afternoon, beginning of the incoming. The action was slow, although there was some far off birdplay in 2 places. I managed 3 small bass to 22" using a t-hex.

yardvillejimmy
11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Fished SH from 3:00PM to 5:00 PM. Not even a bump.

DarkSkies
11-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Nomoco from 5-7a, last of the incoming until slack. 3 bass to 22" on a bucktail dragged slowly. Once it got light out, the shad started hitting, got 2 on a rig where I tied 2 teasers in front of the bucktail. Conditions were ideal, not much wind, foggy mist, perfect.

vpass
11-27-2008, 10:55 AM
was out this morning at first light. Attempted to fly fish. surf was alittle to big. Changed out my fly rod for my plugging set up. I fished till 9:30am and got the big :skunk:. Not much going on this morning. I saw only one fish caught

cowherder
11-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Went to somoco for an hour this morning to hit some jetties. Threw a pure white stormshad, nothing but goose eggs. I hope a new run of fish comes by us, or maybe they passed by way out at sea.:don't know why:

clamchucker
11-27-2008, 02:23 PM
There was a good spurt of action in Moco today after the sun came up. 5 bass to 27" on a deadly ****.

Monty
11-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Fished NOMOCO this morning (8:00 -11:00).
Lost 3 fish and missed a few hits.
Ended up with a short and this shad.

jigfreak
11-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Fished moco. Got 2 shorts and a few bumps on a teaser. Saw 2 other guys, both nothing.

DarkSkies
11-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Fished NOMOCO this morning (8:00 -11:00).
Lost 3 fish and missed a few hits.
Ended up with a short and this shad.

Nice :clapping: You did better today than I did tonight.

DarkSkies
11-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Black Friday Marathon fishing
Hit the Sea Hunter out of AH with some friends from NY for the day striper fishing. Capt Rob worked very hard, but the fish just weren't there in any numbers today. We moved close to a dozen times, yet it was a slow pick at each drop. Whenever more than 2 guys had a bend in the rod at any one time, it was dogfish.

We jigged with A47s straight hook, no tail. fish hit mostly on the bottom, feeding on sandeels. Out of a fully railed boat of about 50, only 4 keeper bass 28-30" were caught, along with a couple shorts, and a few dozen bluefish. Capt Rob and the mates worked to put us into fish, but even the bluefish were picky today. I would definitely go on the Sea Hunter again, good boat.

My friends wanted a shot at more bass, so we decided to fish some Nomoco spots for the sunset bite. We fished the last 3 hours of incoming. Bucktails, shads, rubber eels, tins, teasers, bombers, magdarters,we worked all levels of the water column with only one or 2 hits. 10minutes into it, I broke a rod and had to run for a replacement, good workout. :rolleyes:

We did a lot of walking, hit numerous spots that usually produce. The best we heard was a guy who got a few fish before sundown. Other than that it was dead water in that part of nomoco tonight. Even a fly fisherman we met when leaving didn't hook up. Other than the fish that weren't there, the conditions were perfect. Tthe wind laid down to a light west, the temps were mild, it was a beautiful night out there. It's good to start fishing hard again. I was glad to be out.

cowherder
11-29-2008, 08:17 AM
nomoco sandy and rocky today from 4-6:30. One shorty on an ava. Man I hope it's not over. :(

jigfreak
11-29-2008, 03:42 PM
3 micro bass this morning to 20" on a Hopkins and white teaser. Ocean county.

wish4fish
11-29-2008, 04:47 PM
nomoco sandy and rocky today from 4-6:30. One shorty on an ava. Man I hope it's not over. :(

dude its not over yet. i got 4 bass to 25" yesterday in nomoco. as soon as the sun came out, they got lockjaw. the water is cold, and you have to fish slow.

SharkHart
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
finally found some decent bass, but the greed in me had me focusing on all the ones that popped off or another twin I saw that didnt hit :rolleyes: Landed a half dozen, lost 3 keeperish sized. Knowing almost exactly what was gonna happen i went back again last night to find only one lone bass but half decent size, possibly keeper. but had to try.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/100_0785.jpg

Mike O
11-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Fished SH Sat. morning. Caught 3 shorts, all after sunrise. One fish hit a broken back swimmer right in the wash. The other 2 hit the teaser ahead of metal.

Mike O

wish4fish
11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
finally found some decent bass, but the greed in me had me focusing on all the ones that popped off or another twin I saw that didnt hit :rolleyes: Landed a half dozen, lost 3 keeperish sized. Knowing almost exactly what was gonna happen i went back again last night to find only one lone bass but half decent size, possibly keeper. but had to try.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/100_0785.jpg

:clapping:nice fish dude, what'd you get it on?

wish4fish
11-30-2008, 09:23 AM
sh this morning, psyked for a crazy blitz in the rain. only one short bass 23" on a lime bomber.:(

captnemo
11-30-2008, 01:35 PM
3 of us fished East of Island Beach yesterday and got into some nice numbers. There was only one keeper, but the others were fiesty. We got slightly more bluefish than bass using diamond and butterfly jigs 4 to 6 ozs. We probably pulled in close to 100 fish total, most were small. The action was fun, and I think the butterfly jigs might have done better than the rest. We were about 1/2 to 2 miles off the beach.

Some surf guys might see action from this today. I don't see how you could not, the bait concentrations took up most of the screen at times.

Monty
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
NOMOCO this morning 5:30-9:30. Caught 4 shorts just before sunrise and then 2 more in the freezing rain. 1 on the ava 27 and the other 5 on the plastic teaser. Think they all hit just over the sandbar. Beautiful morning to be outside, walking the beach,. casting behind the breaking waves.

killie
11-30-2008, 02:26 PM
went with a few effumall guys this morning. It was brutal. :scared:
it wasn't worth going out in those conditions for the little guys.

SharkHart
11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
:clapping:Nice fish dude, what'd you get it on?

4 inch silver finesse they wanted the little stuff