PDA

View Full Version : Reels and Sand and Dunking

Monty
12-01-2008, 11:43 PM
I do a lot of walking when I fish. A mile from jeep often.
So the reel I use needs to be very reliable.
Needs to be able to lay in the sand, be dunked, pick up sand in the wash and be dunked and with a couple turns of the handle be smooth again.
VS fits the above.
What other reels are this reliable? Are there any?

DarkSkies
12-02-2008, 07:39 AM
So much controversy and arguments about VS, Zeebass and the $$. I don't have the money to buy one, I couldn't justify it right now. Some day I probably will buy one.

I believe they are some of the most overhyped and overprices reels made, especially now that they are made in China (VS). That being said, if you fish every day, or many days a week like I do, reliability is important. There is nothing worse than getting stuck in some hard NW winds that sift sand into the gears of your reel, and you can do nothing about it. With a VS, that isn't a problem.

I went to Montauk for the first time this season, made it out there a few times. After going there, you gain a different perspective. If you are fishing on rocks, swimming out to them, or getting knocked off rocks by fishing rough surf all the time, a VS or Zeebass will go a long way to making your day run as smoothly as possible. My .02.

bababooey
12-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I do a lot of walking when I fish. A mile from jeep often.
So the reel I use needs to be very reliable.
Needs to be able to lay in the sand, be dunked, pick up sand in the wash and be dunked and with a couple turns of the handle be smooth again.
VS fits the above.
What other reels are this reliable? Are there any?

For that kind of fishing, ZB or VS are at the top of the heap.

storminsteve
12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Even as you say VS are now made in China, they have a good guarantee, and stand behind the product. That's important to a guy who fishes a lot or may be dunking the reel. Same with Zeebass. Sure there have been some issues, but the owner stands behind his reels.

Monty
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
How about the Penn 704 and 706, how rugged are they?
I used to fish with the Penns 5500, 650 and they were reliable, but I was not dunking as much as now. I am much harder on reels than before.
Have had problems with Penns anti-reverse, but I think that was more of a problem of a lot of use.

BassBuddah
12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
. I am much harder on reels than before.

Get the VS - you know you will end up there anyway. What is your time and having a night of no aggravation worth? :) :lookhappy:

Monty
12-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I currently fish with a VS 250 and it is incredible cause I kick the crap out of it. Was wondering if there is a less expensive reel that can be abused and is reliable. Not going to switch, but was curious as to what is out there thatcan take a beating. I have had $200 reels fail on me a mile from back-up. VS was worth the bucks for me, one less thing for me to worry about. Any one use "greenies", are these undestructable?

Get the VS - you know you will end up there anyway. What is your time and having a night of no aggravation worth? :) :lookhappy:

storminsteve
12-04-2008, 09:04 AM
I have owned a few greenies. They don't call them coffee grinders for nothing! They are strong, easy to disassemble in a pinch, and service. They are still subject to geting sand in them and the problems associated with that. In my opinion, if you are fishing where there may be a lot of sand or salt water dunking, you need a sealed reel. Or you could bring 1 or 2 backups, but that's a pain.

VSdreams
11-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I wish I could afford a VS. The grinding and tightness of my reel makes it difficult to retrieve sometimes. Then I now I have to go home and take it apart for a good cleaning.

Frankiesurf
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
For the sand issues you can drill out the cups on the 704's and 706's like a VS. You would need to pack it with grease to make it water - resistant not waterproof. For that, you can use some RTV on the casing and attempt to find sealed bearings that fit. Still might not be waterproof though.

I don't believe there really are any infallible reels out there. Any machine will have it's problems.

I like the fact that this has not degraded into the argument that a few other sites tend to be constantly plagued with.

vpass
11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I just picked up from ebay 2 704z, 2 710z, and I been trying to get the 706z put everyone out bids me for that reel. They are in almost new condition and I used one of 710Z. I'm planning on drilling one of them to see what the hype is about. I also like the way they look. I never had problems with the older Penn reels. I will be saving up for VS or Zeebaas. The wife just ask me what I wanted for christmas, and all of you know what popped up in my head.:drool:

The Z series was what everyone depended on for years before the VS, or Zeebaas. It should be good enough for now.:don't know why:

lostatsea
06-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I currently fish with a VS 250 and it is incredible cause I kick the crap out of it. Was wondering if there is a less expensive reel that can be abused and is reliable. Not going to switch, but was curious as to what is out there thatcan take a beating. I have had $200 reels fail on me a mile from back-up. VS was worth the bucks for me, one less thing for me to worry about. Any one use "greenies", are these undestructable?

I have owned a few greenies. They don't call them coffee grinders for nothing! They are strong, easy to disassemble in a pinch, and service. They are still subject to geting sand in them and the problems associated with that. In my opinion, if you are fishing where there may be a lot of sand or salt water dunking, you need a sealed reel. Or you could bring 1 or 2 backups, but that's a pain.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Rip-Plugger
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
So much controversy and arguments about VS, Zeebass and the $$. I don't have the money to buy one, I couldn't justify it right now. Some day I probably will buy one.

I believe they are some of the most overhyped and overprices reels made, especially now that they are made in China (VS). That being said, if you fish every day, or many days a week like I do, reliability is important. There is nothing worse than getting stuck in some hard NW winds that sift sand into the gears of your reel, and you can do nothing about it. With a VS, that isn't a problem.

I went to Montauk for the first time this season, made it out there a few times. After going there, you gain a different perspective. If you are fishing on rocks, swimming out to them, or getting knocked off rocks by fishing rough surf all the time, a VS or Zeebass will go a long way to making your day run as smoothly as possible. My .02.

Hi DS,

I think it's not hype at all.
the VS is a niche reel which makes it stand for a very specific type of fishing.although it can be used away from the surf,it fits in the surf thing perfectly thus "allowing" it to be "specially" priced.

it shouldn't be now since it's manufacturing costs have dropped a HUGE amount but,still it has remained at the normal price.
a good company,great company would,'er should at least pass a discount of 50-100 bucks on to loyal buyers which,may casue them to own more than one.

we can't argue that it fills it's spot very well and thats stands for something.
it is needed on the beach but not on a rocky shore unless ya get into the water,,,,

R-P

Monty
06-19-2010, 03:46 PM
R-P, I agree.
Been fishing my VS 200 so far every trip this year.
Not a single issue at all. And I lay it down in sand and dunk it constantly.
I'm a clown out there at times.
Is it overpriced, probably, but reliability and "robust" has a price.

Hi DS,

I think it's not hype at all.
the VS is a niche reel which makes it stand for a very specific type of fishing.although it can be used away from the surf,it fits in the surf thing perfectly thus "allowing" it to be "specially" priced.

it shouldn't be now since it's manufacturing costs have dropped a HUGE amount but,still it has remained at the normal price.
a good company,great company would,'er should at least pass a discount of 50-100 bucks on to loyal buyers which,may casue them to own more than one.

we can't argue that it fills it's spot very well and thats stands for something.
it is needed on the beach but not on a rocky shore unless ya get into the water,,,,

R-P