PDA

View Full Version : Changing lures

hookset
12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
How often do you change your lures?

I change mine after about 15 minutes of no hits.

mick2360
12-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I catch a lot of heat for this but I have about five lures that I work through in order to try all parts of the water column. Some of my buds have a go to lure that they stick with. My BIL spanked me using a jointed black bomber, while I went through my plug bag. It was too dark to see what he was doing. There is one lure i will stick with; a bucktail jig with a red/white rind. If I can put it in front of a fish in the right presentation, there will be takers. I don't have the same confidence in it at night. Probably to my detriment. :embarassed:

Rip-Plugger
12-03-2008, 08:40 PM
you really should do away with that non confidence at night with a bill.bills will out catch most lures if the fish are down and holding in the rips.you can totally slayy fish with a bill when you find them staged that way.
totally killer lure!

R-P

DarkSkies
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
I catch a lot of heat for this but I have about five lures that I work through in order to try all parts of the water column. Some of my buds have a go to lure that they stick with. My BIL spanked me using a jointed black bomber, while I went through my plug bag. It was too dark to see what he was doing. There is one lure i will stick with; a bucktail jig with a red/white rind. If I can put it in front of a fish in the right presentation, there will be takers. I don't have the same confidence in it at night. Probably to my detriment. :embarassed:

I also work through all parts of the water column before I give up and move to another spot, Mick.

There's somethign to be said for bombers, especially jointed bombers, as well. I have found that these cheap pieces of plastic will outcatch many plugs out there, except when big bait like bunker or big mullet are around. There are some exceptions, one being deeper water, where some of the custom swimmers will get you lower in the water. And if I was stranded somewhere with only one lure choice, it would be the bucktail. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
12-04-2008, 12:22 AM
you really should do away with that non confidence at night with a bill.bills will out catch most lures if the fish are down and holding in the rips.you can totally slayy fish with a bill when you find them staged that way.
totally killer lure!

R-P

OK, I'll bite, what the heck are Bills, got pics? :HappyWave: