PDA

View Full Version : Ming-Yang Reels

Rip-Plugger
12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
anyone here fish Ming-Yang winches?
I own 6 of them and they are a great value for cheap cost.
strong drag,great looks and simple design.
ya can't go wrong with them.

R-P

Monty
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
R-P,
I'm strictly a spin fisherman (tried conventional a little awile back).
How do the conventional reels hold up to the salt and sand? Tougher to maintain? I know when I am in the rough water with a lot of sand in it I get some sand in my reel, I dunk it, turn the handle and I am good to go. How do the reels you use stand up in the sand and salt?
Reels like the Ming Yang?

gjb1969
12-03-2008, 11:05 PM
i had a ming yang cl 70 it did a job on big blues for half the summer it had no problems but i am a spinning guy so i sold the reel the guy who got the reel got a good deel :)

Rip-Plugger
12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=Monty;10119]R-P,
I'm strictly a spin fisherman (tried conventional a little awile back).
How do the conventional reels hold up to the salt and sand?

[they do just fine,maybe better than spinning if ya keep sand outside the gears.
some are so precision with close tolerances of spool/frame that even a single grain of sand will have the reel making strange sounds.]

Tougher to maintain? I know when I am in the rough water with a lot of sand in it I get some sand in my reel, I dunk it, turn the handle and I am good to go. How do the reels you use stand up in the sand and salt?
Reels like the Ming Yang?

[my ming-yangs all have 2 seasons on them and I have no problems at all yet.
I sling big wood out in the rips and drift them waaay out then hold them there til they drift out then I bring the wood back slow.caught many a fattie with them and they work perfectly.
my high end gear does the very same thing just totally smoother and easier with all the bearings all over the place.I love winch reels,I picked 1 up 11 years ago and the sold off all my spinnng rigs except5 and 1 of them is an antique.]

R-P

Rip-Plugger
12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
i had a ming yang cl 70 it did a job on big blues for half the summer it had no problems but i am a spinning guy so i sold the reel the guy who got the reel got a good deel :)

GJB,

I know they can do it,I have 2 CL-70's[1,red,1,blue]they hold a ton of line and I have hit 30 pound fish 250 yrds out and layed into them with mine.dragged them in easily.great winch for that knda of money.

R-P

gjb1969
12-04-2008, 09:51 PM
thats why i wanted to try them for that money if i like them i will get another if not just sell it they are worth more money the birds nest just got to me i will stay with spinning :fishing:

Rip-Plugger
12-05-2008, 12:26 AM
thats why i wanted to try them for that money if i like them i will get another if not just sell it they are worth more money the birds nest just got to me i will stay with spinning :fishing:

well,you do know it's a learning curve with slinging winches,the cl-70 is a beast to swing but it come to ya after a short while.

R-P

jimmy z
12-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I have four of them. The 60 sized reels. I'm impressed with how well they cast and perform.:)

Rip-Plugger
12-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi there JZ,

good to see ya here,I already know you have the MY's,I am glad I tried them.
now we both can share what we know about them with others that don't know.

Rip-Plugger
aka H-H

jimmy z
12-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Rip - P, I thought that was you. I'm gonna get a 70 for this season.
These reels are sleepers for sure. A good bang for the buck:).

Rip-Plugger
12-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Rip - P, I thought that was you. I'm gonna get a 70 for this season.
These reels are sleepers for sure. A good bang for the buck:).

oh yeah,the 70 is a real winch for sure.that guy philbert,from australia said he caught sharks on his @ 150 pounds without a problem so I know they are strong.

I just picked up an Omoto 777-S3[black] for 70 bucks on ebay,it is a gem!
I'm impressed at how well built it is also it seems to have some stainless inside.
at any rate I'm building a stick for it 9 ft or so and 1-4 oz for slinging big wood out in this area I know that as a very long rip right from shore,just toss it out and let it drift then hold it there till it either rolls out or gets smashed.slow bringback.works great in june.
did very well there that whole month.

cheers

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 05:48 AM
I have the 777, and used it this past Fall. There is a line out clutch, for when you cast. Depress the line out button, and turn the handle, it will revolve about 180 degrees with out engaging the spool. It is safe to cast with the handle in this mode.
The large bulb of a handle knob, will be at a 6:00 position. What had happened to me, is that I did not have the handle in that position, a few times when I got the reel. I was not aware of this feature. And it's a darned good one BTW. I just have to remember it's there. If ya every felt an Abu engage, on the cast, than this is the same. I blew the dog. And it failed, the dog that is on a 25# bass.
That was a fun night. The reel has good drags, and that saved the situation.
I changed the dog, and all is well. The reel is like a tank, and casts very well.
I plan on getting another, for the season. :)
(I also bought extra dogs, just in case)

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Oh, one more thing I like about the reel, is the # 777, it was given.
I will not buy the 666 model.:) If ya want, I'll explain, my feelings about the #'s. But ya might get my drift.:)

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 11:34 AM
I have the 777, and used it this past Fall. There is a line out clutch, for when you cast. Depress the line out button, and turn the handle, it will revolve about 180 degrees with out engaging the spool. It is safe to cast with the handle in this mode.
The large bulb of a handle knob, will be at a 6:00 position. What had happened to me, is that I did not have the handle in that position, a few times when I got the reel. I was not aware of this feature. And it's a darned good one BTW. I just have to remember it's there. If ya every felt an Abu engage, on the cast, than this is the same. I blew the dog. And it failed, the dog that is on a 25# bass.
That was a fun night. The reel has good drags, and that saved the situation.
I changed the dog, and all is well. The reel is like a tank, and casts very well.
I plan on getting another, for the season. :)
(I also bought extra dogs, just in case)

I take it that yours is equipped with the large rubber knob?
,,mine has the flat single paddle type handle which,I'm glad it does.it is nearly fully balanced without a heavy side to it.
I would love to know where you found parts for it as I don't want mine to be down any time if anything happens.
share with me.

R-P

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Oh, one more thing I like about the reel, is the # 777, it was given.
I will not buy the 666 model.:) If ya want, I'll explain, my feelings about the #'s. But ya might get my drift.:)

oh yeah,I get your drift on that point m8,I need not worry,I am a warlock and was born of a jackal so it will actually be quite fitting for me.

R-P

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 11:41 AM
What's good is that it uses the same dog as an Abu 6500/7000 dog. I believe that other parts would be interchangable as well. I was happy about that.:)

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I take it that yours is equipped with the large rubber knob?
,,mine has the flat single paddle type handle which,I'm glad it does.it is nearly fully balanced without a heavy side to it.
I would love to know where you found parts for it as I don't want mine to be down any time if anything happens.
share with me.

R-P
Yes, the large bulb type. There is an Autralian site that has 'em for less than 50.00 bucks. I have the metalic blue/green sideplates.

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, the large bulb type. There is an Autralian site that has 'em for less than 50.00 bucks. I have the metalic blue/green sideplates.

Oh,I see.
mine came from prochallenger in florida.he's on ebay and he also has the VS-10 which I love but it has no levelwind.
looks like a cross with an avet and an accurate.

R-P

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
JZ,

have a look at sr when ya get a chance,you'll find some interesting stuff there I believe!

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 12:42 PM
JZ,

have a look at sr when ya get a chance,you'll find some interesting stuff there I believe!
Yup. I've seen their stuff. All-American Outdoors has some as well, including Tonman reels, which are prolly made by Omoto as well. :)

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Yup. I've seen their stuff. All-American Outdoors has some as well, including Tonman reels, which are prolly made by Omoto as well. :)

I dig the tomman stuff,looks realy golden ya know.
I wonder if they have anything thats castable./

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
JZ,

I have 2 of them coming.a 5000 and a 6000.
I'll replace my CZH-50 with the 5000-J and my CZH-60 with the 6000-J,works out great.

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm curious to know how those jungle reels are. I was tempted a few times to get one. But they are so similar to Abu's. it ain't funny.:)
I like the other oddball, different type stuff.:HappyWave:. They suit me.:D

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm curious to know how those jungle reels are. I was tempted a few times to get one. But they are so similar to Abu's. it ain't funny.:)
I like the other oddball, different type stuff.:HappyWave:. They suit me.:D

ya know Jim,I thnk they are the same deal internally,I said the same thing when I saw one.it has everything the abu's have except the price.
when mine get here I'll let ya know how they feel.

I can imagine them being the same inside as abu since omoto made them for abu at one time.
I was never interested in abu but I'll try the omoto gear out.
now omoto needs to make some nice surf sticks,unless they do now and I don't know about it.

BTW,I invited surfslinger to join us here to schoolus and others here.
I hope he comes on over since he split from the other place.

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Prochallenger you mentioned earlier, is that Sam, who has the cl reels?

SS is a load of info, for sure.:)

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Prochallenger you mentioned earlier, is that Sam, who has the cl reels?

SS is a load of info, for sure.:)

I never knew is name but he was/is a member at the other site,he was lambasted for soliciting or something.
his name on ebay is Thunder51.
he has the ulyses 2 speeders and the vs-10[$160.00]

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 01:42 PM
A Ming Yang handle,
on my Christmas Abu, I just put together with parts and pieces.
It has 5000D gearing and plates, with the direct drive.
:)

jimmy z
12-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I never knew is name but he was/is a member at the other site,he was lambasted for soliciting or something.
his name on ebay is Thunder51.
he has the ulyses 2 speeders and the vs-10[$160.00]
Ohhh, now I remember him. :)

Sam is the guy you told he about. Where I get the cl reels from.:)

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Ohhh, now I remember him. :)

Sam is the guy you told he about. Where I get the cl reels from.:)

oh yeah now,I remember sam[actually Mike],yeah,he has the MY's.lots of them.
when he started he bought 5000 of them and sold out in less than a season,he then ordered 5000 more.
he also as the CL-80 too with stainless frame!!
that thing is a total monster.
Mkes a very stand up guy,honest and will do you right.

I'm gonna put both mine as a package for $50.00 bucks to my partner first and if he's not inteested I'll show them to another guy that likes them.
gotta make room for them jungles!

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 02:01 PM
A Ming Yang handle,
on my Christmas Abu, I just put together with parts and pieces.
It has 5000D gearing and plates, with the direct drive.
:)

thats a sharp machine,crimmus colors and all.I never knew santa was a surf man.
I love the small power handle the MY's have,very nice.
I have some info to share with you later on,It's time to head to the baitshop to do the weekly thing,hang out with the boys and shoot the breeze.4 hours worth of bs,I think I can make it.
I'll holler at ya later Jim.
stay warm!

Rip-Plugger
12-07-2008, 10:45 PM
JZ,

if you get the CL-70 make sure you take the counterweight off and add a heavier one.
the stock brass one is waaay too light and the reel will engage on the cast!

I had to do mine or get another handle.I added a steel weigt that I painted and it s nearly perfect balance.
also,put the handle to the center position!

I bought a shimano power handle too just to keep a spare.

cheers

jimmy z
12-08-2008, 05:24 AM
JZ,

if you get the CL-70 make sure you take the counterweight off and add a heavier one.
the stock brass one is waaay too light and the reel will engage on the cast!

I had to do mine or get another handle.I added a steel weigt that I painted and it s nearly perfect balance.
also,put the handle to the center position!

I bought a shimano power handle too just to keep a spare.

cheers
Thanks, I've had reels like that.
That Hubilie has that good feature, that I described before, that eliminates the reel engaging, because of an unbalanced handle.:)

Rip-Plugger
12-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks, I've had reels like that.
That Hubilie has that good feature, that I described before, that eliminates the reel engaging, because of an unbalanced handle.:)

yeah that is a great idea they have,Omoto will be a great producer with a great rep too.I just wish they had some kind of home base here in the states.

they make a pretty product,a strong product and very reliable product.what else do ya need.