View Full Version : New Reel

Mike O
12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Looking to buy a new reel this off season. I was thinking of a Penn 650 Spinfisher. I usually use an 8ft. medium action rod with 12lb mono. Just looking for some opinions here. Also, do these reels have right and left hand retrieve option? I'm a right hand cranker. I have been using Daiwa reels for years, 2600C,4000C. The 2600 is my staple but it is getting real tired. The 4000C is even older but in mint condition, but it is a little to big for this particular rod. Thanks in advance.

Mike O

PS
I fish only from the beach w/plugs

Rip-Plugger
12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
I would go with the daiwa tournament SS-2600!
I don't do spinning anymore but if I were going to I'd go with that machine!
penns are not an option in my case!,,plastic combined with the fact that I never liked penns at all,I do know that they were workhorses but still,,,they aren't even the same anymore.

wow,have not seen a "C"series in a dogs age.they sure were workhorses.
my first reel for the salt was a 7000-C,then a 2600 and 4000.true mixers for sure.

R-P

dogfish
12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
The 4000C is even older but in mint condition, but it is a little to big for this particular rod. Thanks in advance.

Mike O

PS
I fish only from the beach w/plugs

What rip-plugger said. :thumbsup:

If you do want to go with the Penn, I think the 650 will be too big for that rod, and might not balance right. A better choice would be the 550sg. Bear in mind that the Penns are not what they used to be. Mucho plastic and they will not hand up to repeated dunking and heavy use. Then again, nothing is made "like they used to make it". Even some VS reels and parts are now made in China. :kooky:

Mike O
12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the input dogfish. I also have a Regal 4000D, but again it is a little to big for this rod. I've never owned a Penn spinning reel, but I have several conventional Penn reels that I don't even use anymore. Squidder, Jigmaster and a Longbeach. I used to do a lot of livelining years ago, but those days are gone. Again thanks.

Mike O

nitestrikes
12-13-2008, 09:45 AM
but I have several conventional Penn reels that I don't even use anymore. Squidder, Jigmaster and a Longbeach..

Mike O

Older squidders and jigmasters? :thumbsup: That's back from the day when the Penn brand really meant something. They drove that name into the dumps, no concern whatsoever for the thousands of loyal Penn users. Just my .02.

jimmy z
12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
A Shimano Spheros 4000 or 5000 size reel, might be the ticket for ya.:)
I use a 650 ssm, Penn. While it's a darned good reel, I think it would be too much reel for an 8'er. IMO, of course.:)

Mike O
12-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I looked at a 550 spinfisher in sports authority the other day. I must admit I was not impressed. Especially when the salesman told me that they get a lot of returns on these reels. He said for some reason though that Penn still makes one of the best conventional reels, but there spinning reels leave a lot to be desired. Daiwa has been good to me for 30 years or more, so I guess I'll stick with them. I just have to figure out which one to buy.

Mike O

CharlieTuna
12-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Mike, the 550 will hold up to small fish, but what if you have one day where all you're catching is alligator blues? You might as well buy the Sports authority extra warranty because you will be bringing it back immediately after. Those plastic pieces were not designed to hold up to prolonged stress.

As was mentioned above, Penn has done everything possible to toss the decades of positive good will into the toilet. They should have listened to the serious fishermen and branded their product differently like Toyota did to Lexus. 10 years ago, Penn could have constructed a super premium reel comparable to the VSs and Zeebass today, and their brand loyalty, coupled with an unconditional guarantee and focus on premium customer service would have paid off in healthy sales dividends for decades to come.

but it's too late for that...

Instead, they have become a market leader of crappy, mid priced reels, made in China. :kooky:

That's one of the worst cases of ignoring a customer base I have seen in the fishing tackle world.

Mike O
12-22-2008, 12:49 PM
OK I've narrowed it down to 2 reels. Daiwa TDA 4000A or TDTR 4000, which is in the Tierra line. I'm leaning toward the TDA 4000A. Does anyone know where I could see one of these reels? Also are they left- right hand retrieve. I live in Middlesex Monmouth area. Thanks.

Mike O

bababooey
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Did you try ****'s sporting goods in the Menlo Park mall?

Rip-Plugger
12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
OK I've narrowed it down to 2 reels. Daiwa TDA 4000A or TDTR 4000, which is in the Tierra line. I'm leaning toward the TDA 4000A. Does anyone know where I could see one of these reels? Also are they left- right hand retrieve. I live in Middlesex Monmouth area. Thanks.

Mike O

Mike,

if you go to *****,beware that they sometimes carry the cheap version of a similar named reel.

you could be looking at the top shelf version and buy it then find out that it is not the same internally as the top shelfer.I have seen it before!

why play around,get one from cabelas or BPS,they both have 100% satisfaction policy,,if you try it and don't like it,send it back for a full refund,no questions asked!
that reel will be with you for years!

if ya ask me,you can't make a mistake buying a tournament SS-2600!!
screw penn,bigtime sellouts,,,,,fish daiwa,a much better machine.penns are like a yugo,you go back to the store .

R-P

DarkSkies
12-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Mike,

screw penn,bigtime sellouts,,,,,fish daiwa,a much better machine.penns are like a yugo,you go back to the store .

R-P

yugo back to the store, priceless :laugh:

Mike, I had to call effingers today, while I was on the horn I asked them about that reel. Guy said they don't have it in stock, but if you get a price from somewhere else, call him. If you order it before Tues, he can have it there for you Fri same week.

He also mentioned Sportsmens in Bordentown, that might be too far for you? If you've never been to effingers, its a good place to check out, pretty decent selection, in bound brook.

Great South Bay Bucktails
12-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Listen a reel that size i would go with a Penn 710 z .. If this is not gonna be dunked then there is no better reel than the 200 ..I have 3 and they are amazing , easy to clean and repair . If you want to stay away from Penns and VS is too pricey then the Cabos are a great reel

Whats up Dark

Big Johnston

DarkSkies
12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey Mike! :HappyWave: