View Full Version : striped bass trophy status?

basshunter
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I know a lot of big bass are being caught, and they say the numbers are better every year. I don't throw back every fish I catch, they taste too good. :drool: I was wondering what people think about making the bass into a trophy fish and saying all fish over 45 inches be returned back to the water unless you're in a tournament and buy a special permit. Does any of that make sense? Would doing that give us bigger fish in the future?

BassBuddah
12-16-2008, 10:27 PM
I like that idea, but the key is how do you set a formula to make it fair for all or do you make a slot limit of minimum size (per state regs) to 44.99" as keepers, everything else goes back?

DarkSkies
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
There's a group called stripers forever that's all about this. I agree with Bassbuddah, how do you make it fair for all states? I think we should have a slot limit, allow people to keep fish from 26-40", or something like that, but only one fish. That would let the breeders keep breeding. How do you coordinate that with the southern states which allow people to take 20 or 22" fish? Tough question. :huh:

cowherder
12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
40-45 inches looks like a good place to start.

7deadlyplugs
12-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I like the idea and would support it.