PDA

View Full Version : How To Sharpen Fishing Hooks

hookset
12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
How To Sharpen Fishing Hooks

By Ronnie Garrison (http://stripersandanglers.com/mbiopage.htm), About.com

Until a few years ago hooks were not real sharp when you bought them. Many bass and other fish have been lost due to dull hooks. Hooks, especially for worm fishing, needed to be sharpened before using them.

Newer hooks come very sharp but after using them a few casts you often need to hone the point again. You can use a variety of tools to do this.
Keep your hooks sharp and land more fish.

I keep a small triangle shaped file in my boat to sharpen hooks. The picture shows a big flat file to make it easier to see. A file is the best way to sharpen a new hook or if one your are using is very dull. There are many kinds of battery powered hook sharpening devices on the market. I keep a small, inexpensive one in my boat for touching up the point of a hook. The one shown uses one AA battery and spins a small cone shaped stone that is protected by the point cover. You can quickly touch up the point of a hook that has dulled on a rock.

To sharpen a hook you want to make a triangle shaped point so it will cut into the fish's jaw. Start by filing the back or outside of the point flat.

To make a triangle point file one side of the inside of the hook point at a 45 degree angle to the flat back. This is the start of the cutting side of the point.

File the other side of the hook point at the same angle as the last one to form a triangle cutting point. You can put the hook in a fly tying vice or hold it in your hand. Smaller hooks are hard to hold and sharpen

On the water you often want to touch up the point of the hook to make it needle sharp. It is quicker to touch it up than tying on a new hook, and much cheaper. A file or stone is best for this but in an emergency you can use a nail clipper file or emery board. Just file around the point to take off burrs and sharpen it up. You often need to do this when fishing around rocks.

Test your hook sharpness by dragging it lightly across your thumbnail. If it slides it is not sharp enough. If it catches with very light pressure, or scratches your nail when you slide it will very little pressure, it is sharp.

surfstix1963
12-18-2008, 05:34 AM
I use 2 chainsaw files welded together on the ends and it kind of sets a v-groove to run the hooks down works pretty well.I use 5/32 for the smaller hooks and 7/32 for larger hooks.The rounded end will be the top and the pointed end which would be used for putting a handle on it for chain sharpening would be the bottom I spray mine with some WD-40.

DarkSkies
12-18-2008, 08:57 AM
I use 2 chainsaw files welded together on the ends and it kind of sets a v-groove to run the hooks down works pretty well.I use 5/32 for the smaller hooks and 7/32 for larger hooks.The rounded end will be the top and the pointed end which would be used for putting a handle on it for chain sharpening would be the bottom I spray mine with some WD-40.

Surfstix, sounds pretty cool, do you have a pic of that setup?

I use a cheap hardware store sharpening stone that's small enough to carry with me, but your way sounds better. Bass have rubbery mouths, you need a sharp point to dig that hook in. Anyone who has ever only had one chance at a nice bass and missed it because of dull hooks knows the feeling.

Winter downtime is a good time to look over all your plugs, change out the cheaper trebles with vmc's, and make sure all the ones you have are sharp. To me one of the best secrets to catching a big bass is not losing it by being unprepared.

surfstix1963
12-19-2008, 05:36 AM
If you go on the Rapala website and do a search for hook sharpeners the one on the left is kind of what I designed mine from. Also if you buy chainsaw files they are longer and can be cut to make two one for home and one to carry with you the key is to keep them flat when tack welding so the v lines up.You can even tape them together in a pinch but the tape will loosen up after a short time.Sorry I couldn't post a pic but you will see what I mean.Any other ?'s feel free to ask.