PDA

View Full Version : plug modifications

cowherder
12-23-2008, 08:57 AM
so how have you guys modified your stock plugs to catch more fish?

DarkSkies
12-23-2008, 11:29 AM
One of the easiest tricks is to swap out the rear treble and replace with a bucktail dressed siwash. Make sure you crimp the hook eye good so you don't lose a big fish due to fisherman error. :( Chartruese or white bucktail.

GeoffT
12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Definitely swap out at least the belly stock hooks with 4X or higher VMC trebles otherwise you'll be sorry if you hook into a big bass or blue; trust me on this as I learned from painful experience. :( Any back stock trebles should be replaced with a VMC treble or a VMC siswash hook, preferably dressed with a bucktail as DS mentioned. I typically use heavy split rings to attach the (short shank) hooks to the plug but in some quarters it's felt you're better off without the rings.

Pinch the barbs also for easier extraction from fish and human.

Rip-Plugger
12-25-2008, 02:28 PM
so how have you guys modified your stock plugs to catch more fish?

Hmm,

that one is tough.
personally,I have not modded a plug but I have many that I gave modded designs that have worked.

I kinda figgered to make it modded from scratch then there should be nothing else to do.
if I could put more hooks on a plug,I would.

I have changed colors on them but not anything else.

R-P

basshunter
09-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I was thinking about taking a couple of my bombers and removing the treble hooks in the center. Then putting single hooks at the tail. Would you say this would change the action and give better results for catching stripers?

Stripercoast1
09-27-2009, 11:59 AM
It's what I do to all of mine. They swim and catch the same.

Frankiesurf
09-27-2009, 05:03 PM
While you are at it change the front hook and all split rings. Believe me, it is worth it.

jonthepain
09-27-2009, 05:10 PM
^^
what he said

7deadlyplugs
09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
While you are at it change the front hook and all split rings. Believe me, it is worth it.

There's nothing like losing a bigger fish than you planned on catching, because of bad split rings or hooks. Change them up every season that you use them hard.

hookset
02-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I have changed colors on them but not anything else.

R-P

Some cool bombers I got at a flea market.

cowherder
02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Nice!

Rip-Plugger
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Some cool bombers I got at a flea market.

lookin' good Hookset,I like the custom skewlbuss,sharp,,,,,

R-P

buckethead
08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
You can also load them with water or BBs.

J Barbosa
08-04-2013, 07:29 PM
My preference in bombers is the 16A (the old three hook style) and the jointed bombers.

I always take the middle treble off and replace the stock hooks and split rings. VMC 4X 1/0 is what I use on the 16A.

rockhopper
09-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks buckethead and jbarbosa I am going to try that this month.

J Barbosa
09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
I like these setups very much for trolling/casting from the kayak. I don't want two trebles and a big bluefish on the other end.

Yellow over White 16A Bomber
-front hook is a VMC 4X 1/0
-rear hook is a VMC 3/0 dressed siwash.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2850/9950386785_8d36f16382_b.jpg

Diawa SP Minnow
-slight black over yellow
-front hook is a VMC 4x 2/0
-Rear hook is a VMC 3/0 dressed siwash
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5324/9950321725_7887a3719a_b.jpg

Monty
10-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Loaded these Redfins today

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_10_13_redfins2.jpg

robmedina
10-14-2013, 07:45 AM
^^^^got enough redfins there Monty?

Monty
10-14-2013, 08:09 AM
I tend to do things excessively.
:HappyWave:

vpass
10-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Me too, I got a bunch to do also. and change some hooks on Some Bombers and Sp's Can't wait to get out there.

robmedina
10-14-2013, 04:28 PM
:HappyWave: yeah I can tell. I called my wife in and showed her your pic and said aren't you glad I am not as compulsive as monty??? Thanks buddy!

DarkSkies
10-14-2013, 07:24 PM
^^^^got enough redfins there Monty?

If you asked for a list of what older/ordinary plugs are effective for the sandeel bite....the redfin would be in my top 5......:thumbsup:......loaded redfin or bomber, would be in the my top 3...:HappyWave:.....

Ya think? :ROFLMAO
Anyone who doubts this, owes it to themselves to take the ride to visit Monty-land...:fishing:..one of the most impressive assemblies of plugs/ gear in NNJ.....and all organized in neat little categories.....dymo label maker, labels,. sizes, etc....etc....
Yup, if all the tackle manufacturers went out of business tomorrow....Monty could probably fish for another 50 years with what he has stored in those tackle totes of his......:drool: :HappyWave:

robmedina
10-14-2013, 07:59 PM
That is what grumpy hisself says- he opened a store because he couldn't fit any more in his garage!

cowherder
10-14-2013, 08:18 PM
lol. Someone should start a new thread how many plugs would monty bring if he was locked down on a desert island. nice redfins monty!

Monty
10-15-2013, 06:08 AM
If you asked for a list of what older/ordinary plugs are effective for the sandeel bite....the redfin would be in my top 5......:thumbsup:......loaded redfin or bomber, would be in the my top 3.:
Its likely my most productive plug based on the amount of time I fish it (not a real lot) and the amount of Bass I catch on it (bass per time the plug is OTW).

lol. Someone should start a new thread how many plugs would monty bring if he was locked down on a desert island. nice redfins monty!
Thanks, Would really like to be locked down on Rhode Island rather than a desert island.

Also caught my largest Fluke of the last few years on it this past August.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_F.jpg

J Barbosa
10-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Loaded these Redfins today

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_10_13_redfins2.jpg

I should have sent you mine so you could load them for me :kiss:

I have to reload mine from past seasons as the water has evaporated.

i may go with mineral oil this time.

finchaser
10-15-2013, 08:12 AM
been using mineral oil for over 25 years 5cc in 5" and 10 CC in the 7 inch

Monty
10-15-2013, 12:47 PM
been using mineral oil for over 25 years 5cc in 5" and 10 CC in the 7 inch
I don't think JB was alive that faaar back :HappyWave:
I use the BBs to load them.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_3_6_Redfin1.jpg

J Barbosa
10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I think I just turned 25 but I can't remember...part of getting old.

I have bought a bunch of used Bombers and Redfins this year very cheaply. Cheap enough where I can play with them and not worry about the outcome.

I plan to load most with mineral oil but I'm going to try one with both so it sinks rather than suspend (for kayak use in deeper water).

surfstix1963
10-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah part of getting old for sure, I don't even remember 25 that was 25 years ago.

finchaser
10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Monty are you testing plugs in the toilet bowl tank again:HappyWave:

JB you can only load 16A's A-salt bombers can't be loaded

Monty
10-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Monty are you resting plugs in the toilet bowl tank again:HappyWave:

Unfortunately the only white water I see no a days is is the flush.

speedy
10-29-2013, 08:39 PM
been using mineral oil for over 25 years yeah its good for the skin lmao

jigfreak
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
loaded redfin hands down a deadly tool when sandeels are around. No need for the sp the redfin swims better anyway

Monty
02-16-2014, 08:47 PM
I like to fish floating needles at times.
To make it easy differentiating between floating and the sinking ones I put an F on the top of the floaters.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2014_2_16__RM_FL_Needle_2.jpg

J Barbosa
03-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Monty was kind enough to share his loaded 5" redfins with me and my brother.

I finally got to test it today and it seems to swim the same as those that I have loaded with 5 CC of water.

The plug did cast well and didn't tumble in the air like an unloaded redfin would.

My first impressions are that the redfins may cast better loaded with BBs rather than water. I had a new rod so I will have to test the two options side by side with the same rod.

finchaser
03-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Monty I thought you put the F to remind you where front of the plug is for when you attach your line.:HappyWave:

We use to use mercury back in the day , then went to BB or buck shot but found they get stuck behind hook holders, or the threw wire on some plugs giving a very inconsistent casting and or swimming action. Then we tried the oil and that replicated the action of the mercury the best and didn't freeze like water when left in truck over night. The action always stayed true so we stuck with that.

fishinmission78
03-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Monty I thought you put the F to remind you where front of the plug is for when you attach your line.:HappyWave:

We use to use mercury back in the day

:scared:Thanks for sharing that chief. Yep and back in the day they used to dump mercury in the hudson too. Did any of you guys get brain damage from that? Can't imagine it would be good for your health, kind of like inhaling fumes from melting lead for jigs.

finchaser
03-04-2014, 10:37 AM
It was in every home in thermometers and heating and cooling thermostats wasn't an issue. We also survived lead paint no bicycle helmets or seat belts in cars. Bass and other fish are loaded with mercury and PCB's but big brother says ok to eat so its ok for now.

BassBuddah
03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
It was in every home in thermometers and heating and cooling thermostats wasn't an issue. We also survived lead paint no bicycle helmets or seat belts in cars. Bass and other fish are loaded with mercury and PCB's but big brother says ok to eat so its ok for now.

I felt my age when I read this. Yes I remember the mercury thermometers in homes and how we had to jiggle them to see the spark if they were working sometimes. You would watch the enclosed mercury move back and forth as the switch catalyst. Also remember the mercury thermometers that Mom or the nurses used to put in our behinds or mouths. Full of mercury and we put it in our orifices with full confidence that the mercury would never leak.

Has anyone ever broken a thermometer on the ground? I had the misfortune to break several of them in my time and the easiest way to clean it up was with a dustpan and broom. Wet paper towel would clean up the mercury remnants. I am sure mercury was dangerous but as finchaser said the generation of ours grew up without bicycle helmets, crossing guards, amber alerts, peanut free lunchrooms, and we got dirty, bloody, skinned and scraped up, may have eaten a lead paint chip or two. broke some bones, and still managed to survive into adulthood.

porgy75
03-05-2014, 07:53 AM
God I don't remember a time with out crossing guards. Some of you guys must be older than dinosaurs lol! Just kidding this thread is very informative and i am learning a lot thanks for sharing.

finchaser
03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
yep we're 2 years older than dirt

bababooey
03-05-2014, 01:13 PM
^^^ I was told you're older than that, dating back to when God created the earth.:ROFLMAO:HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't mess with finchaser dude. Word on the street is he's connected. You might end up in the trunk of a cadillac seville taking a long ride to the meadowlands. :)Capish?

surfstix1963
03-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Bob's not that bad,but he will tell you what he thinks. I don't want to blow smoke up anyone's a$$ but the guy is a walking fishing encyclopedia and a damn good rod builder also, one of these days when I can spend more then a day in Jersey we have to talk about a couple of rods for the handicapped.

DarkSkies
03-06-2014, 05:21 PM
^Surfstix to the rescue.....:( :HappyWave:

I was getting ready to pile on here, adding something like "he's so old, he has barnacles on the barnacles"....now ya ruined it by saying something nice about the old grouchy basstid......:laugh:

I was gonna add...
Old Grouchy Opinionated, Ornery, Obstinate, Cantankerous, Curmudgeonly, Crabby ......(all true) just to throw a few more in the pot....;) :kiss: :HappyWave:

cowherder
03-06-2014, 05:37 PM
^Old Grouchy Opinionated, Ornery, Obstinate, Cantankerous, Curmudgeonly, Crabby ......(all true) just to throw a few more in the pot....;) :kiss: :HappyWave:

LOL that's a lot of adjectives for just one person!