PDA

View Full Version : Passing it on?

voyager35
12-23-2008, 09:21 AM
The "why do you fish" post got me thinking of my family, and the childhood times we spent camping. My family tried to pass on a tradition of outdoors experiences, and respect for the outdoors and nature. My Dad and others tried to pass on their knowledge to me, and I try to pass on what I know to others, the kids, friends who have never gone fishing. It's a great feeling to take someone out on the sand or your boat and see the smile on their faces so they connect with the same things you are seeing.

Every month there is another article that talks about the lessening of our numbers. Some kids today love video games more than the outdoors. What kinds of things have you done to pass on your knowledge and love of the outdoors?

vpass
12-24-2008, 01:23 AM
I tried with my son. His first fishing trip 2 yrs ago, I took him to SH. We walked on to a bluefish blitz. I would cast out the ava 007, and he would reel in and hookup. He caught 6 Blues about 3 to 4 pounds. I was so happy for him, but he was bitching that he wanted to go home to play his video games after each fish he landed.:burn:

surfstix1963
12-24-2008, 02:38 AM
My son has just gotten into fishing a little He lives in Virginia with my ex but when he comes up in the summer we go to Montauk and do some fluke aka Summer flounder fishing and he has a great time last year camping I livelined a bunker for him while camping and he slammed a ten pound blue that put a smile on his face.I think he is understanding why I get up at 3:00 to go fishing.Most people never see the wildlife or the sunrises we see because they are sleeping I have seen some pretty cool things while the rest of the world sleeps.

DarkSkies
12-24-2008, 08:37 AM
My Dad didn't take us fishing, didn't have the time. But others did. There was no obligation, but they felt like sharing. So that's what I do sometimes. I feel like sharing the outdoors world with people.

(I may not show them every great spot I know) :D, but I will help a new person, or take kids fishing, because I remember the joy when I first went fishing and was catching fish, even if it was only a small trout or carp. Passing that on is important to me today. I take pride as I see someone who wants to learn, and watching them progress not only as they become a better angler, but learn to appreciate and resspect the outdoors world.

ledhead36
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Why does there seem to be less young surfcasters on our shores? Maybe it is becaue of video games. Maybe because they are into other sports like soccer or football, which are contact sports and more active. Whatever happened to Fathers passing down the art of fishing to eager sons or daughters?

fishincrazy
02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
I hear ya!! My son will go with me and likes it once he's there,but like you said sports,video games and soon girls.Fortunately he's had success fishing from the beach and this I feel is key to kids intrest.This summer we plan to take some of his friends to the beach and pass it on!! Some pic's of my boy!:thumbsup:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii119/fishincrazy/jimmybass1.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii119/fishincrazy/jimmybass2.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii119/fishincrazy/thesmile.jpg :thumbsup:
Here he is with the winning drum in the NJ Angler IBSP tourney last spring :thumbsup:

FC:D

cowherder
02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
His smile says it all, fishincrazy. Good for you.:thumbsup:

fishinmission78
02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
You're right. when I was a kid all my friends were into fishing, now it only seems like here and there, the kids have too many other interests. He does look happy, FC. You can't get that kind of smile from a video game, unless it's for adults only.:D

dogfish
02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I usually fish alone. The kids spend too much time on the computer or texting. Whenever they mention they want to go, or see the bigger fish are in when I bring one home, I make it a point to take them. We have good times fishin. I know someday they'll be too busy for old Dad, so I try to make the good times last. Nice pics, fc.

DarkSkies
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for this thread guys. I did some thinking. A lot of times its the kids, you can't make someone have an interest in fishing. I try to take kids a few times a year, mostly for bluefish because I know it's a can't miss situation. Kids get bored easily. I don't know what that says about society, though it seemed different when I was growing up.

I was thinking maybe I've been selfish too. Ya can't take kids fishing for bass at night because of curfew. They won't get up the next day for school. That's when the action is most intense, so what do you do. I justified it by saying just take them fishing during the bluefish blitzes.

But that doesn't teach a kid anything about fishing not always being about catching. It's ok to have a great day on the water without catching anything. No one told me to appreciate fishing and nature, I kind of fell into it.

And I would say it's an addiction for many of us guys, at least it is for me. The knowledge I have about addiction defines it as selfish pleasure. I'm guilty of this when I fish. For the most part, I fished alone until last year when I started meeting up with a few friends at night. The thread that's floating around here the Dark Side of surf fishing applies to me.

I stopped fishing during the day during the crowds.

But this thread and the comments got to me. As much as I talk about taking kids fishing, I only did it a few times last year. Yet I probably went around 150 or more times. :embarassed:

I don't know if this self-insight belongs here. I aplogize for the long-windedness. I realized reading the theme of the thread that I could do better. So I set up some threads in the freshwater forum about passing it on.

If kids of today have no interest in fishing, or waning interest, what will happen tomorrow and in the future when they get hit with another PETA sea kitten campaign? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

fishincrazy
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey guy's thanks no your right the smile on Jimmy's face is all the thanks I need.He's been going wit me since he was 3,my fondest memories are when we're fishing together.:D Here's some more pic's of my favorite fisherman:thumbsup:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii119/fishincrazy/Jimmywalleyeage3.jpg

Jimmy's first walleye!!!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii119/fishincrazy/Jimmybassage4.jpg

Jimmy's first Smallie!!!!

FC:thumbsup:

plugaholic
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
If kids of today have no interest in fishing, or waning interest, what will happen tomorrow and in the future when they get hit with another PETA sea kitten campaign? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

good point

jonthepain
02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I used to take them when they were little, they just loved being with dad, didn't matter what we were doing. When they got to be teenagers we had moved away from the beach, and they got bored sitting on the bank, waiting waiting waiting.

So we got into crow hunting. Sneaking around in the woods with guns, calling them in, nonstop shooting action, then move to the next spot. My teens loved it.

Now two are gone, moved away. My remaining teenager loves going hunting with me, but isn't really interested in fishing.

hookset
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
It's hard to get kids involved in things. They want to hang with girls or friends. My dad taught me hopefully one day I can pass it on.

surfwalker
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Nothing brings a smile to my face more then when I see a father with a son or daughter surfcasting. There's definetly less of that seen today by my eyes then when I was first introduced to it. We didn't have all the activities going on then like they do now. Anyway, the little people that are out there now will always have these experiences to fall back on, enjoy them now.

Happy Trails

stripercrazy
02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
So we got into crow hunting. Sneaking around in the woods with guns, calling them in, nonstop shooting action, then move to the next spot. My teens loved it.

Now two are gone, moved away. My remaining teenager loves going hunting with me, but isn't really interested in fishing.

Fishing or hunting, at least it's something you're doing together. :thumbsup:

williehookem
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
It seems everyone here has a different story, yet we still try to make it happen. Good posts. :clapping:

hookedonbass
04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
It can be passed on all over the world.

Young Anglers Win Big At Annual Fishing Derby
by: Mike Sievers

For The Mountain Mail

http://www.mymountainmail.com/storypics/chamberfishingderby.jpg
Isaiah Esquivel poses as the big fish contest winner at the Socorro Community Fishing Clinic and Derby on Saturday with a 2.23-pound rainbow trout. His brothers Brandon and Christian, also attended the derby. Isaiah won a bike donated by Socorro residents Ernie and Ernestine Silva. The annual event at Escondida Lake drew 230 children who registered to participate.

There were 230 children who registered to test their fishing skills Saturday during the annual Socorro Community Fishing Clinic and Derby at Escondida Lake.

There were multiple prizes for each angler with larger prizes given to winners.

DAV Commander Peter Romero said Chamber Director Terry Tadano was instrumental in bringing all of the groups together to make the derby possible.

Each youth angler had family and friends with them. Tadano said the family event was a great success, with many families staying and fishing at the lake all day. Many families caught enough fish to enjoy a fish fry Sunday.

“The Socorro Valley Bass Club had almost 10 members conducting the derby with expertise,” Tadano said. “They passed out fishing leaflets, assisted with registration, demonstrated how to cast a closed face fishing reel and weigh each fish entry for two hours and awarded the prizes.”

Tadano said he was thankful to the DAV for donating food for all the children. The DAV started at 6 a.m. preparing hot coffee, hot dogs, sodas and sweet treats.

“The donors were individuals, organizations, the city and county and of course, our wonderful business community. With all their support, the derby was a great success,” Tadano said. “Our community is so fortunate to have such dedicated members who will help our youth and families.”

Prizes were donated by community sponsors: Socorro County; the city of Socorro; Disabled American Veterans; Socorro Valley Bass Club; Gamble’s Hardware; Wal-Mart; Harold’s Southwestern Gifts; Escondida Grill; Game and Fish; County Commissioners Danny Monette, Rumaldo Griego and Rosie Tripp; Annabel and Herman Romero; Socorro Electric Cooperative; Ernie and Ernestine Silva; Socorro County Sheriff’s Department; Bo Beames; Eagle’s Club; Craig Thomes; Socorro Rotary; and the Socorro County Chamber of Commerce.

Ages 3 to 7

Joshua Chavez – 3.89 lbs

Gauge Johnson – 3.51 lbs

Jordan Torres – 3.06 lbs

Tyler Valenzuela – 2.55 lbs

Alexandra Crespin – 2.55 lbs

8 to 11

Mariah Garza – 3.27 lbs

Kevin Gonzales – 2.50 lbs

Heather Apachito – 2.46 lbs

Isaiah Esquival – 2.23 lbs

12-18

Bryan Singh – 4.42 lbs

Abie Sarate – 2.31 lbs

Tristan Griego – 1.35 lbs

Mathew Lassey – 0.79 lbs

Big Fish

Isaiah Esquival – 2.23 lbs

Bryan Singh – 2.08 lbs

http://www.mymountainmail.com/stories/spofishing20090326.php

cowherder
05-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't have kids yet, but I hope to be able to pass on what I know to them.

blitzhunter
05-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I always take my nephews fishing whenever I can. They enjoy the sport and love the thrill of the fight.

jimbob
05-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I have taken many kids from the neigborhood fishing over the years and quite a few of them are on thier own now and still fishing.

surferman
07-24-2015, 08:23 PM
I take my little cousins fishing all the time. They have a blast.

DarkSkies
08-21-2015, 08:35 AM
I wrote this previously and thought I would share it.....a father took his daughter out fishing.....

Passing it on......
Finchaser was talking about this....I thought I would add to his thoughts here......:HappyWave:

A lot of folks may not realize this but there is a decline in interest in fishing by the younger generation. They are used to the instant gratification of the internet world and electronic devices.

What this will eventually do....
1. Put some good party and charter boats out of business. (also helped by the restrictive regs)
2. Make fishermen, as a group, one of the least effective political interest groups out there.

The writing is on the wall.
When I was a kid I used to have trouble sleeping at night if I was going fishing the next day. My excitement overwhelmed me.

Today that is very different. It is tough to get younger folks interested....and even tougher to keep their interest when the catching is so inconsistent.....

For that reason it's a beautiful thing to see a report like this....father taking his daughter fishing
The fishing or catching is not always the focus...but the shared experience between father and son...or father and daughter....is priceless. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing that.
Looks you both had a great time.....and memories to last.
She couldn't have a better guide to teach her about fishing....
Best of luck for the rest of the season.

buckethead
08-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Nicely done. I have tried with my grandkids. The best I have been able to do is take them crabbing at the piers and fishing for snappers. It takes a lot of dedication to walk the beach looking for the few fish that might be there. I agree with finchaser and you about the drop in fishing by the youngsters. This doesn't bode well for the future of the party boat industry.

DarkSkies
03-24-2017, 09:32 AM
I noticed we haven't added to this thread in awhile. A lot of what has been said in your posts is key to what is happening to fishing interest among the younger crowd today. In a world where many are connected to electronic devices.... that become more compelling to them than an umbilical cord.

The interest in the great outdoors, and getting our hands dirty, is waning among the younger generation. You don't have to take my word for it. Take a look on social media or advertising media, and see what is being sold and marketed today. See how the marketing efforts are laid out.

There are still a good amount of fathers, mothers, uncles, brothers, and family friends who try to give children an interest in the Outdoors. They are actively involved in "Passing it On". They are to be commended. I believe we need more.

Many of the good activists for fishermens' rights I know today are in their 50's.....or much older. We need to inspire more young people that these causes are worth speaking up/out for.

If not, in 20 years........ there won't be enough fishermen to fight against decisions that affect their interest.

I had given up on teaching others for a long time.....but got back into it last year. We have some fantastic posts in this thread.
Jim H (fishincrazy) was a great inspiration to others. His enthusiasm and posts were contagious. I still see him at some fishermen access meetings.

Jim is by no means the only inspirational posts here. There are many.
So thanks to ALL for trying to whet the interest of the newer generation.
Keep up the good work. :clapping: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-24-2017, 10:09 AM
I'll try to get back to the story format that I used to do here... I have a lot of different stories that happened to me while out fishing. Sometimes even the simplest stories can teach us.......Hope you enjoy....and thanks for reading.....:HappyWave:

The Old Grouch...and the Kids who wanted to Quit...

This happened around Nov 24th of 2016.
I had been out fishing at night, enjoying a decent level of success.
However, as many of you know the fall bite can transition into a day bite, as water temperatures drop and different types of bait run along the coast on the Southern Fall migration.

I remember this day, because I had been busy, and hadn't been able to get out for the action-packed day bite. It was killing me.

How many of you other fishermen out there, have felt the same way?
Reports filtering in all day.... dripping with success and confidence. By the time you get there after work, it's over....:burn:
Blitz fishing at it's finest......and one of the reasons I hate blitz fishing......such is life. :don't know why:

DarkSkies
03-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Snag and Drop......

Was the key to success that day....as the peanuts were tight to the beach....Parts of Monmouth and Ocean counties were alive with action...guys in trucks parking all over peoples' vacant summer properties...and moving around like madmen as the blitzing waned in one area, and transitioned to another........

I got there late......tried to catch fish, and failed.
It's one thing to fail....we can all learn from our failures....and it builds character....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20830&stc=1

Why did I fail?
a. what if you are failing, and everyone else around you is succeeding?
Most often, it means you are doing something wrong....or there is a subtle difference between what you and other fishermen are doing.
b. In my case, it was because I refused to snag and drop, even though I had a snag rig with me.
c. Probably 90% of the fish were being caught snagging and dropping...
d. The other 10% were mostly being caught by guys using SS little neck poppers, or something similar...
e. Because (most) of the fish were in the 23-28" range, with a few scattered ones over that size, in that area.....I refused to snag and drop. I knew it would put undue stress on these baby fish....and at the end of the day...there would be a bunch of dead schoolies....that did not make it...laying on the beach.

So it was a choice....my choice...and one that was humiliating....
Guys to the left of me were hooked up....guys to the right......at one time I felt like I was the only one at the beach who was not catching.....deep levels of humiliation and frustration, because I wanted to stick to my principles....my own fault.....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20831&stc=1

The peanuts were so thick, at one point I was snagging them 2 at a time on my SS littleneck. I was feeling the results of my stubbornness......not a happy camper...even more grouchy than usual...:laugh:

DarkSkies
03-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Saved by the night tides....
There's a reason I rarely fish the daytime anymore....night tides have been so much more productive for me......

As the action seemed to die down, you could hear grumbles of "It's over!" From the other fishermen as most left the beach.......
One thing I try to hammer into the heads of anyone I'm trying to teach....is that whenever the activity is good, and it dies, that's often at the change of tide..slack tide.......NEVER leave a place where you did well and the bait action is robust...until you fish the other side of the tide.....

That day, the only ones left on the beach were me, the Crabby Old fisherman, and these 2 kids about 50 yards to my left. Like me, they had got there at the tail end of the blitz...and were tossing poppers, but not catching....despite their best efforts.....

I switched to a small yellow swimmer, and within a few casts had a bass on the beach.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20832&stc=1

I started to get some action...a slow pick. There was no visible feeding activity, but as the sun set in the sky behind us......the night bite took over.

DarkSkies
03-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Nothing beats persistence, or the ability to foresee a change in activity....

I knew with all the bait around....that things would eventually get better. I knew as the tide came in the feeding would probably get better, and it did.....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20833&stc=1

The kids fishing near me were relatively inexperienced....It was a slow pick until it got dark. They got frustrated, and I saw them get ready to leave. By that time I was into my 3rd fish, quickly releasing so no one watching would notice. I had switched over to bigger ML swimmers, and the activity was steadily getting better.

I saw their sense of frustration.
I avoid all conversation during a bite....I'm not there to make friends.....or chat...I need to fish...I need the adrenaline...
But as I saw them dejectedly walking away...a sense of passing it on hit me......I remembered others who had helped me in the past....

This where the Crabby part comes in....Does anyone who knows me...think I took these kids, and told them what to do, step-by-step?
Hell no. :laugh:

Conversation went something like this...

Crabby Rich - "Oh you kids are leaving?"
Kids - "Yes the bite died and we didn't catch anything!"
Crabby Rich - "Do you have any metal lip swimmers?"
Kids - "No sir we don't know what those are, we only have some pencil poppers"

I took off the white metal lip that I just got a few fish on, threw it (literally) to the one kid.....
Crabby Rich - "Here, put this on, cast as far as you can, s-l-o-w retrieve. Repeat till ya get a fish"
His friend didn't have any either, so I gave them another one to fish together.

On the 2nd cast, they were into a fish!

Kids - "Sir, we got one .......we got one!"
Crabby Rich - "OK great, but I'm a little busy now, catching fish. Just repeat what you did, and get some more"

*Kid's fish on a Bill Couch Metal lip swimmer

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20834&stc=1

We all continued to catch, or miss fish. As the darkness rolled in with the tide, the fish got slightly more aggressive and a little bigger.

Kids - "Sir we got another one, This is awesome, thank you so much!"

Crabby Rich - "OK fine, less talkin, more fishin. You don't know how long these fish will be active, so let's cut the freakin chit chat and keep catching."

DarkSkies
03-24-2017, 11:45 AM
All good night bites eventually end.....

I was a little crabby because I knew time was limited......
With the tide coming in, it was a little rough...waves in the 2-3' height, and staying the same as the tide rolled in.

We were out on the beginning of the bar, which was near the beach edge at extreme low tide. As the tide came in, I could sense that the fish were staying out further with the bait, just past the edge of a wide bar.

It became apparent that longer and longer casts were needed to reach the fish. I didn't want to stop as the fish size had gotten bigger, (some) to the mid teens.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20835&stc=1

I was not paying much attention to the kids or their catching. I was in the zone and not concerned about anything else. Out of the corner of my eye I saw one of the kids wade our further, and start to take some big waves, as I was, on the moon-lit beach. I was elated at that moment......the kid had made that move without my coaching, intuitively figuring out the fish were moving, and he was trying to move with them. I couldn't have been more proud of that kid, than if he was my own son. That's the kind of thought process I had been trying to inspire when I taught people in the past. This kid was a natural. I was so proud.

Eventually, we lost the fish as the tide came in and the swells did not change. We were pushed off the bar.

In the past, I would have stayed all night for those fish.....but since it was really just a slow, steady pick....I figured we had enough....
The kids left a little before I did...I stayed another 10 minutes for the "last cast" sessions.....but knew it really was over, for that time and tide....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20836&stc=1

Totals:
I ended the night with 18 fish to the mid-teens. Kept one for the table, released the rest.
The kids told me they got 7 fish between them, the first time they ever used metal lips.

In all, a very productive night....when everyone else left the beach, because "the bite was over"

Pass it on.......you'll be glad Ya did.......:thumbsup:

7deadlyplugs
03-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Nice job dark. Felt like I was there. Can't wait for the spring fish to show up.

jigfreak
03-24-2017, 12:37 PM
" let's cut the freaking chit-chat and keep catching." Sounds like something I would have said. Good work man, enjoyed that.

Blazin420
03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Really great story Dark!! That's the way to do it!! I have a time or 2 when fishing in the daylight hours had some fish action while people were strolling on the beach and if they are ever walking with a small kid and I was hooked up I would stop the people and let the little guy reel them in...It's great to see there faces light up with excitement when they are fighting the fish up to looking at it and explaining to them what they just caught...
Now that I have a son of my own who is a year and a half old, there is nothing more I want to do than teach him to be an Outdoorsman...Yeah a great fisherman also but over all just some who appreciates the outdoors for all it has to offer..Sooo many great lessons can be learned thru fishing,hunting,camping ect...

captnemo
03-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Well said and nicely written. I completely agree about the younger generation that needs to be introduced to the sport as well. If you don't continually bring new people in as part of the cycle, someday we could have all the species restricted, as you said.

Monty
03-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Nice story Dark, great to hear that type of story. Awesome of you to get them into fish.

I was able to take my grand kids out for the first time this past September.
Road the beach out on LI, unfortunately there were 15+ MPH winds in their face so conditions were rough.
In an effort to make sure they caught some fish, the week before I tried to catch Fluke in the area (I only fish for Bass and Blues), and found some good areas that had decent action.
Kids and their father did great in the wind and caught Fluke, a few robins and a small blue on bucktails and Gulp teasers.
Was a lot of fun, the wind kept everyone else off the beach, had the place to ourselves.
Looks like a few more LI fishermen are on their way!
This year I need to get them into the Blues.

https://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2016_9_10_Gregster_Hooked-Up.jpg?w=1024

https://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2016_9_10_Owen_Fluke.jpg?w=1024

https://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2016_9_10_ThreeFishermen_B.jpg?w=1024

cowherder
03-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Awesome stories fellas congrats. One of the things I love about checking into this site are the stories like these. Thanks for sharing

dogfish
03-25-2017, 06:41 AM
:fishing:Enjoyed the stories, great read. Keep em coming.

surferman
03-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Excellent! Check this out.

hookedonbass
03-25-2017, 04:42 PM
SO TRUE! Modern millennials need to get out in the sunlight more, they all have pasty faces.

storminsteve
03-26-2017, 02:43 PM
This was a great way to start a cloudy Sunday. Good job gents well done on the stories and congrats on passing it on.

buckethead
03-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Good job gentlemen. We have to inspire a love of the outdoors in the younger folks. Really enjoy the stories. That can be part of the spark, keep up the good work.