PDA

View Full Version : Winter Project

hookset
12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I plan on spending some time fixing my old lures. Some need new hooks, split rings, minor body work or painting. It's going to be a long winter.

Monty
12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
I need to start tying the tail hooks one of these days.
Stocked up on hooks and some bucktails.
Also need to change a lot of hooks on plugs.
I already miss getting out on the water.
Also gotta fix a leak in the waders.

DarkSkies
12-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Also gotta fix a leak in the waders.

I know what that's like, man, had old leaky waders until the fall until I finally broke down and got some new ones.

Leaky waders + hot weather + covering ground while fishin = swamp azz. :D

Rip-Plugger
12-24-2008, 10:13 PM
I know what that's like, man, had old leaky waders until the fall until I finally broke down and got some new ones.

Leaky waders + hot weather + covering ground while fishin = swamp azz. :D

Hey Darkskies and Monty,

I hope you guys find them leaks,if not you're gonna have some very rusty ball-bearings,unless you guys keep 'em nice & greeezy!

jimmy z
12-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I've found that leaking waders are just what they are, leaking waders. Over the past few years, I've repaired about three pairs, and ya know what?
They were still leaking waders.:)
They all get 86'ed.

Winter projects are a BLAST to have. The more there is to do, the better.:)

Monty
12-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Ha,ha.
A little WWH (winter wader humor).
Speekimg of winter profects, do you ever re-finish a plug? Re-paint or top coat? If so or if not, what do/would you use for the top coat?
Happy holidays to all!

Hey Darkskies and Monty,

I hope you guys find them leaks,if not you're gonna have some very rusty ball-bearings,unless you guys keep 'em nice & greeezy!

Rip-Plugger
12-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Ha,ha.
A little WWH (winter wader humor).
Speekimg of winter profects, do you ever re-finish a plug? Re-paint or top coat? If so or if not, what do/would you use for the top coat?
Happy holidays to all!

yes,,,,,,,I have several that will get attention.
I like the devcon 30 min as a top coat,I use 3 thin layers on what I sell,sometimes 4.
them choppers really do a job on them but I have found that 2 heavy coats makes them almost like body armor.

AAMOF,I just did all my new Tony Spina plugs with 2 heavy coats,they shine like brand new money now.
also,I got 1 like your white one but in dark red/white.

I also do re-finish some I have,I did 2 of Baddog23's pieces[second generation]which,he come out perfectly,very nice with the new paint scheme.
I'll send ya some shots to post tonight.

R-P

Monty
12-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks R-P, exactly what I was lookng for. Looking forward to seeing the plugs. I will post what I received to.

yes,,,,,,,I have several that will get attention.
I like the devcon 30 min as a top coat,I use 3 thin layers on what I sell,sometimes 4.
them choppers really do a job on them but I have found that 2 heavy coats makes them almost like body armor.

AAMOF,I just did all my new Tony Spina plugs with 2 heavy coats,they shine like brand new money now.
also,I got 1 like your white one but in dark red/white.

I also do re-finish some I have,I did 2 of Baddog23's pieces[second generation]which,he come out perfectly,very nice with the new paint scheme.
I'll send ya some shots to post tonight.

R-P

surfstix1963
12-27-2008, 07:53 AM
In the process of tying teasers and new tail hooks,waders are good :)Hung all the poles and getting ready to take the reels apart and do some maint. respool w/ new braid then I have some gibbs the bloofish tore up that need some attention.If I have time I want to start researching some plug building you guys that do that are great I imagine it is not as easy as it looks and probably some $$$ to get started.Ordered some pre bent wires my creek chubs are all busting with the brass through wire to soft I guess.

Monty
01-05-2014, 02:20 PM
2014 winter projects, just finished up the loaded red-fins with the hooks added.
Put some line on reels last weekend.
To do list includes tying some tails for plugs, changing a few hooks and rigging Hogys.

Dark texted me the other day, he was planning on doing some detailing of his bucket for 2014.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2014_1_5_Loaded_Red_Fin.jpg

surfstix1963
01-06-2014, 08:16 AM
I guess I'll build some plugs & tie some tail hooks,teasers and bucktails my reels are cleaned,greased & drags backed off and the plugs are put away.Not much in the way of repairing plugs since the diamond jigs did most of the damage.The workbench could use a good cleaning and hopefully the weeks fly by.

buckethead
01-06-2014, 04:21 PM
hopefully the weeks fly by.

I am hoping the same thing ss. monty those are some nice loaded redfins there. Hope you pull some nice fish off them when you get back into fishing.