PDA

View Full Version : Sand Fleas

hookset
01-06-2009, 09:13 PM
We had a discussion at work today about using sand fleas for bait. One guy said they are good for bass.

skinner
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Were you possibly referring to sand crabs or mole crabs? I can't imagine anyone gathering enough sand fleas to put on a hook, they're almost as small as grass shrimp.

Pic of a mole crab.

Emerita talpoidea Mole Crab

The Mole Crab, probably better known to fisherman as the "Sand Flea," is a very common species on northeast Florida beaches during the warmer months. The species is found intertidally buried in the sand with its two feathery antennae extended filtering organic detritus and plankton from the water. It is widely collected by fisherman for use as bait. The illustrated specimen, measuring about 20 mm., was photographed at Mayport Naval Station Beach, Duval County, Florida 7/10/2004.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pic of a sand flea, and sand flea bites :D

storminsteve
07-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Yuk that is what I was looking for thanks skinner. Last nite I was fishing with sandals on and when I got back to the beach to rest a while these sand fleas were all over! Nasty creatures they must have hatched or grown recently they were not there a month ago. And all they know how to do is bite you. they are not even afraid of humans!:mad:

robmedina
07-10-2014, 06:47 PM
SS- I got tore up by sand fleas, no see- ums, midges - My son counted 115 bites. They are swollen and itch like a mother!

jigfreak
07-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Yea they are nasty steve. On another site a guy was calling them mole crabs. They are not they are sand fleas. The mole crabs are the ones you dig into their burrows and use for striper and redfish bait. These sand fleas are the scourge of mankind and move in the top inch or so of the sand. Like you said completely nasty creatures. Try to take a nap on the beach at night while bait fishing and you will see how bad they are. Whats curious is they are so fragile. They have soft exoskeletons and you could smoosh them quite easily wth your finger. Real sharp bite from those pincers though.

jigfreak
07-10-2014, 06:48 PM
- My con counted 115 bites. They are swollen and itch like a mother!

Post some pics

:ttiwwop:

Monty
07-10-2014, 08:45 PM
SS- I got tore up by sand fleas, no see- ums, midges - My con counted 115 bites. They are swollen and itch like a mother!

Jeesh, you really are giving me a run for that title. :HappyWave:

robmedina
07-11-2014, 05:50 AM
yeah apparently the females are the ones that bite. So I can at least say I was popular with the ladies in Florida!

lostatsea
07-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Post some pics

:ttiwwop:

Yea 115 bites is a lot. Didn't you take any pics? Must of really hurt.
Thanks for sharing gents learned a lot in this thread. Here is something I found, they talk about mole crabs, ghost crabs and all other jersey crabs.
http://barnegatshellfish.org/crab01.htm

robmedina
07-12-2014, 02:07 PM
I was going to take pics but was too lazy...no one else in my family got bit but me. I could not go out early morning or later in the day cause they would swarm me.

albiealert
07-12-2014, 03:02 PM
They say all creatures have a purpose. When it comes to fleas and roaches I am not so sure, those bites are just nasty!

bababooey
09-04-2017, 03:10 PM
eating mole crabs? dude posted a video of catching and eating sand crabs. yuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0bNuoqtWI&feature=youtu.be

Monty
09-04-2017, 05:15 PM
eating mole crabs? dude posted a video of catching and eating sand crabs. yuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0bNuoqtWI&feature=youtu.be

I hardly ever agree with you bababooey :HappyWave:
But agree with you on this, a big time yuck.

surferman
09-05-2017, 01:53 PM
yuck x 2! :upck:

cowherder
09-05-2017, 06:15 PM
X3!!!!!!!!

bababooey
09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Thank you. At least some of you guys are sensible!