PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Fisherman net 5.5 million

nitestrikes
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Seine fishermen in Alaska grossed 5.5 million dollars netting silvery pacific herring in one day. That equalled 10,000 tons of herring. The limit for the year is 14,723 tons.
I must be in the wrong business.

bluesdude71
03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
You should at least put up a few paragraphs from the article to support a statement like that. Otherwise, it could be misleading. :idea: How many commercial guys were involved?

I had a friend who worked on the crab boats in Alaska. there's money to be made, but you work like a dog, and if something screws up and the boat sinks, you will be floating in 600-2000 feet of freezing water until you are rescued, IF they get to you in time.

Salmon/herring is a little easier fishing, but it's no picnic either. The season is limited for commercials.

Now, if you were to say that 10 guys particpated in that pot, I would have to agree with you. without numbers, it's hard to put it into perspective. :)

stripercrazy
04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I as reading up on that a little. Apparently the licenses are tightly controlled, handed down from generation to generation. There are a limited number of them. The one boat I read about made over $700,000 for 2 hours of netting herring with a purse seine. The licenses are rarely sold, and now I understand why. If I had a goldmine like that, I wouldn't sell it even if gangrene caused them to chop off my legs, I would still net the herring.:dribble: