PDA

View Full Version : Putting line on spinning tackle

Mike O
01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
How about some more comments on this subject? How do you do it with mono for the least amount of line twist?

Mike O:huh:

DarkSkies
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Mike, I use mono less now, I really like the power pro. Early season and for chunkin bait from the beach, I would agree mono is better. I read your other thread, the guy said something about winding it on with a dowel or pencil. I've been doing it that way also. You can set it up in a vice or line winding jig to make it easier. I used to do it with my brother at the beginning of each season, we would do all new line at once.

Some guys believe in having the shops spool their reels for them. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't have a lot of reels, and prefer the old fashioned way.

Heres a pic that shows better than I can explain.

Mike O
01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey Darkskies,

That power pro is braid right? One of these days I'll give it a try, but my concern is with line twist. Sometimes after a nights fishing I'll walk up near the dunes, stick my sand spike in the sand, and walk the line out about a 100 yards or so and reel it back onto my reel. This has worked good for me over the years. I used to fish with 17lb. line but I have been fishing with 12lb. for several years now. I find that the lighter line forms a lot less twist. It is worth mentioning that the 17 was Stren and the 12 Ande. I'm not sure if the brand of line made a difference, but the 12 for sure has a lot less line twist.

Mike O

albiealert
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
"It is worth mentioning that the 17 was Stren and the 12 Ande."

Maybe that's the difference. I prefer Ande over Stren.