PDA

View Full Version : Winter wreck trip

storminsteve
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Wanted to look into taking a winter wreck trip. Was thingk about a 70 mile trip. Is there a difference between the kinds of fish caught on a 70 mile trip and a 30 mile trip? Can anyone recommend a charter?

clamchucker
01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Steve, it has been a mild winter and the offshore temps took a while to get colder. A lot of the captains start on the far offshore wrecks earlier in the season. They have been doing just as well on the mid-shore wrecks, 30 miles and less, as the further ones. I have read reports of seabass over 6 lbs, and some cod and pollock in the teens.

There are many able captains to choose from. For a first time trip, you can't go wrong with Bogan's Jamaica out of Brielle. There are several others all along the Jersey shore, some operating out of the NY bight, and some in the Cape May area that would give you good value for your money.

The only caution I would mention is to try the mid-shore trips first. It sounds like you are starting out, and these would be your best bet. Be prepared for major swells. A lot of new guys will get seasick on a long trip. Don't go around the full moon, as the heavy current, even offshore, will make fishing for a new guy difficult. Be prepared to lose a bunch of rigs.

Good luck. If you go, let us know how you do.

mick2360
01-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Just make sure to check the forecast before heading out. It's a long trip when it's snotty. The Jamaica has a reputation for finding fish with the downside of going out under some tough conditions. Pic your day right and it is a great boat.

DarkSkies
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
The only caution I would mention is to try the mid-shore trips first. It sounds like you are starting out, and these would be your best bet. Be prepared for major swells. A lot of new guys will get seasick on a long trip. Don't go around the full moon, as the heavy current, even offshore, will make fishing for a new guy difficult. Be prepared to lose a bunch of rigs.

Steve, what clamchucker and Mick said. I've been on Bogan's boat before. He's a great captain, but I haven't seen him take it easy on an offshore trip. He's got miles to cover, he gits it done. ;)

One time we left, the seas were 4-6 goin out, and he plowed through them fullspeed. About half the boat got seasick, I was lucky, got close, but kept it down. You don't really want to go through that your first day out.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bogan, he busts his *** to get you into fish. But the offshore trip I went on had a bunch of first timere, couple of kids, and they all got sick. You should think about one of those inshore marathons, some nice cod are in close.

voyager35
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe the Gambler and the Voyager are also running 12 hour near wreck trips. They're out of Point Pleasant.

mick2360
01-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Wanted to look into taking a winter wreck trip. Was thingk about a 70 mile trip. Is there a difference between the kinds of fish caught on a 70 mile trip and a 30 mile trip? Can anyone recommend a charter?

Steve, Did you take a trip yet? You've got me thinking of a cod or SeaBass trip in the near future!

williehookem
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Theres been some good action out of JI and Montauk, I saw a pic where a guy got a cod over 25 on another forum.

storminsteve
01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Steve, Did you take a trip yet? You've got me thinking of a cod or SeaBass trip in the near future!

No, not yet, dealing with the flu right now. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

stripercrazy
01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Theres been some good action out of JI and Montauk, I saw a pic where a guy got a cod over 25 on another forum.

Think it was caught 2 weeks ago from the One More Time out of Montauk. 44lbs, I think the guy who caught it is Donny. Great fish.
:clapping: