PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Hook: stories, ghosts, cast of characters

hookedonbass
03-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Who has ever seen a ghost at the Hook?
Lets hear the stories. Did they involve adult beverages?

fishinmission78
03-27-2008, 02:43 AM
Rumors of a lady in white floating around right before a noreaster.

DarkSkies
01-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I like to think I know that place, but I'm a goog compared to the old time sharpies who used to fish there, and still do. The stories and legends about that place I never get tired of.

Heres some stuff I said in another thread:

There are a bunch of older guys who been fishin that place for more than 40 years, I could listen to their and your stories all day. :thumbsup:

The OFFC who post here know that place blindfolded, they taught me a lot. There's another guy, "R", he fishes that place more than he's home. He's the one that got the 50 back in late June (when all the cows were already gone) at 3am one night, and put her back. :clapping: He helped me a lot when I first started fishin that place.

And we can't forget Allen Reilly,"Albacore Al" a Sandy Hook icon, caught more albies from that place than most anyone else. Hes been so generous with his time and advice to newcomers, I hope he always has good mojo comin his way. There's also a lady in her 60's, Judy? I think, she puts most guys to shame wiht her fish catching abilities. She can catch fish that no one believes are there. And others like Charlie K; "E" the guy with the white beard and mustache who you always find around when therer are fish to be caught, my friend the "Eel guy" and too many others to mention, or who don't want to be mentioned. They like being nameless, don't want to bring any unnncessary spotlight on anyone here.

So many characters at the Hook, anyone remember "D----" - the guy who yells and screams at bluefish? :laugh: I was there with my girl a few weeks ago, we took some pics, have to start a thread here on Sandy Hook soon.

That place is my church, I hope it never changes.

Who's got some funny, crazy, or amazing Sandy Hook stories? I only got a few, I know theres more out there.

Who's been out there all alone at night in a windstorm and has to talk themselves out of thinking the aliens are coming down to do some crazy experiments? :laugh:

Let's hear em.

DarkSkies
03-27-2009, 07:55 PM
"If we're going to bash something up, it's a little irritating if something cost over $30 and it sails out to sea or gets swiped by a monster bluefish. "

That quote I just put up to another post brought me back to this thread. C'mon, wassammatta wit you mooks out there, nobody has any cool Sandy Hook stories yet? :beatin:

I'll start. there's a guy "D....." who fishes a lot in the Spring to Summer at that place. He's one of the most animated guys I ever met. One day he lost his plug to a bluefish in the back, and was screamin and yellin at the blue, like it could hear him, and would somehow gracefully return with his prized plug. That's the breaks with bluefish, they got some teeth.

There was another guy last year, lost a plug off the rocks as the tide was goin out. As it snapped and was sailing to England (no shock leader):don't know why:, the color drained from his face.

He kept whispering "please don't take my plug, please don't take my plug" as the tide carried it out further. Hell if it was that important he shoulda jumped in and snatched it. I felt sorry for the guy, he walked off the beach with steam comin out of his temples. :burn:

Sometimes those custom plugs just end up gettin away from ya, that's fishin.

I know there's at least another couple dozen stories out there, let's hear em.

surfwalker
03-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Yes that guy is quite the character.
I had plugged the dark the night before, got home late and went to sleep. About a half hour later I awoke and figured I'd go back down. It was one of those early mornings when the darkness was very thick and the fog had rolled in. Couldn't see anything out the windshield, just followed the lines on the parkway. Took me longer than expected to get to my parking spot, no one here yet (just the way I like it). Started on the walk north,fog even thicker and the dampness just rolled off the stick. If there wasn't any wave noise, you wouldn't know where to cast. Kept walking/plugging. Now, I'm tired as hell and the fog was even thicker now, maybe you could see 10 feet in front of you. I was plugging one spot, think I was hitting the water, and out of the corner of my eye, to the north, I sense something moving. Not usually spooked (except for raccoons), I reeled in fast and moved south. Looking straight at it did no good, but when I looked to the side I made something out with big eyes, moving back and forth, faintly. Three or four times I approached this thing at a distance, but I still couldn't make it out.
It's getting late now and I want to get to a certain productive hole before first light, but it's beyond this thing. So I finally put it in my head to charge it and screamed at it as I approached. When I got very close I finally made out what it was- a f'ing mylar balloon, big eyes drawn on it, ribbon tail stuck in the sand, blowing in the wind. What an *** I was. Took out my knife and stabbed that thing into a million piecies, good thing no one was around yet.

Happy Trails

storminsteve
03-28-2009, 10:50 AM
:clapping: :wow:That's a great visual, surfwalker. Were you yelling and screaming at it as you charged it, or did you silently stalk it with the knife until you realized what it was?

DarkSkies
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM
It's getting late now and I want to get to a certain productive hole before first light, but it's beyond this thing. So I finally put it in my head to charge it and screamed at it as I approached. When I got very close I finally made out what it was- a f'ing mylar balloon, big eyes drawn on it, ribbon tail stuck in the sand, blowing in the wind. What an *** I was. Took out my knife and stabbed that thing into a million piecies, good thing no one was around yet.

Happy Trails

Surfwalker, don't remember if I read this when ya posted it......I fell off my chair laughing as I pictured you charging this inanimate object though.....don't feel bad......

There was one time when I thought I was defending Pebbles' honor, and also charged an inanimate object......similar lighting conditions...we were still laughing about it over the weekend, even though it happened a few years back....great stuff there....:clapping:

Seals at Sandy Hook.......

Here's a friend of mine who fishes the Hook regularly.....he's got a million stories....and pics to back them up...he ran into this seal on May 9th....and the seal looks like it has no fear of him.....

Chaz, when ya said no one would believe ya about the seals up there, well., at least one guy would....15235

:HappyWave:

Monty
05-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Fishing the hook one early morning, plugging as I walk along the edge of the water. I noticed something behind me, it was dark out, shined my light on it and was a bit startled. Took a picture of it on my way back in the light.

fishinmission78
05-23-2012, 08:57 PM
What is that, smoky the bear:laugh:

vpass
05-24-2012, 08:47 PM
SurfWalker, Great story, you had me Laughing good, my wife too. I can't believe I missed that post from 2009.

Dark, I got a video of that seal. The seal had no fear. I'm sure it been feed with bluefish.

cowherder
05-25-2012, 01:50 PM
:laugh:Those are great stories guys. I can remember being up there thinking I saw moving shadows in the woods when it was breezy on a few new moon dark nights, but never charged an inanimate object. Wish there were someone around to take the video of that and post it. Priceless, thanks for sharing.

VSdreams
09-13-2013, 02:18 PM
This was in the Monmouth Journal. pretty cool.

http://themonmouthjournal.com/
Monmouth Journal

SANDY HOOK — The Sandy Hook lighthouse, the oldest standing lighthouse tower in the United States, is replete with history. The brick and masonry structure, 90-feet high with eight feet thick walls at the base, was first lit in June, 1764. During the American Revolution, the strategic location of the lighthouse south of the Hudson River, and the anticipated arrival of the British fleet, made the lighthouse a military target. Despite Patriot attempts to overtake the lighthouse, the “Lighthouse Fort” remained under British control for most of the American Revolution. Such far-reaching history makes Sandy Hook ripe for tales of dastardly deeds, secret passageways, and ghostly visitors.

Over time, fact has mixed with fiction to create folklore unique to Sandy Hook. Indeed, there are mysteries buried beneath the Sandy Hook Lighthouse. Oral tradition tells of a secret cellar beneath the lighthouse or the keepers house, which, when excavated in the 1860s, revealed an eerie skeleton seated before a fireplace (or at a table, depending upon who is telling the tale). Almost a century later, the Army Corps of Engineers unearthed the corpses of four men and one woman buried near the base of the lighthouse. Allegedly, these are not the only skeletons at Sandy Hook. According to New Jersey folklore, Captain Kidd, the infamous pirate, buried his ill-gotten booty in the pines of Sandy Hook. To this day, his skeletal crew is said to anchor their phantom vessel, The Adventure Galley, at Sandy Hook, and roam the shore in search of the lost treasure. The pirate skeletons supposedly dance in the moonlight, swords in hand, before sailing into the shadows once more.

The most popular ghostly legend surrounding Sandy Hook Lighthouse is, perhaps, that of the ghost of Captain Huddy, a prominent 18th Century Middletown citizen and Patriot.

Captain Huddy, dressed in his Patriot's uniform, is allegedly a frequent spectral visitor to the Sandy Hook Light. During the American Revolution, both Patriots and Tories had a vested interest in the Sandy Hook Lighthouse: the Patriots needed to watch British naval movements to and from New York City, a British stronghold and the British sought to protect Sandy Hook Lighthouse against the rebels who might want to destroy it to increase British shipwrecks. Captain Huddy was captured when he led an attack on British troops stationed at Sandy Hook. Falsely accused of murdering a British soldier, Captain Huddy was swiftly hanged from a tall tree in the Highlands overlooking Sandy Hook Bay, on April 12, 1782. Ever since his tragic death, Captain Huddy is rumored to wander the shores of Sandy Hook intent upon vengeance.

Of course, the importance of the Sandy Hook Lighthouse exceeds its ghostly lore. In 1889, the lighthouse became the first in the country to be lit by electric incandescent laps. It remains in operation, and is equipped with a 3rd order Fresnel lens illuminated by a 1,000 watt bulb, emitting 45,000 candle-power and visible 19 miles at sea.

As long as the Sandy Hook Light shines, the ghostly legends of Sandy Hook will not dim.

ledhead36
09-13-2013, 03:28 PM
I like to think I know that place, but I'm a goog ...

You should have stopped while you were ahead dark.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:
Seriously though I love the hook but hate fishing there at night on the new moon when there is bad weather. Can get real spooky out there and you can definitely imagine where some treasure is buried or pirate ghosts guarding it.

ledhead36
09-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Of course, the importance of the Sandy Hook Lighthouse exceeds its ghostly lore. In 1889, the lighthouse became the first in the country to be lit by electric incandescent lamps..

Did not know that vs, thanks for the info.

DarkSkies
09-14-2013, 07:38 AM
You should have stopped while you were ahead dark.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

Thanks pal. :moon: :HappyWave:
Have been out there many a night when I was the only one. You're right.... the wind and shadows can play some funny tricks with your mind.

buckethead
03-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Do the dead walk at night at the sandy hook lighthouse?
This just came out today in the monmouth journal.
http://themonmouthjournal.com/do-the-dead-walk-at-night-at-the-sandy-hook-lighthouse-p669-1.htm

hookset
07-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Chasing news did a piece on the voodoo bunkers. Remember them from a few years ago when I used to fish there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcTyQYlsuu8