View Full Version : What is too close

storminsteve
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I try to keep about 100 ft between me and the fellow fisherman.

Read that some guy use 20 ft. That's way too close, totally inside my bubble. So what is too close?

fishincrazy
01-23-2009, 05:20 PM
How do you manage 100' when the fish are runnin???It would be great but I've had em close enough to touch.It doesn't make me happy but what can you do??As long as everyone knows how to cast straight it shouldn't be a problem.Have you ever fished Montauk??It's like the opening day of trout season there Shoulder to Shoulder.

FC

mick2360
01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I'd prefer a hundred yards but I don't mind guys moving twenty feet or so as long as they have the courtesy to ask and then work with me so we don't tangle. Experienced fishermen are almost never the issue. Sometimes new guys respond to a little coaching. I know some olt timer's helped me along the way.

Great South Bay Bucktails
01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Fish is right !!!!
The SS of LI gets nuts and its annoying!

I do fish spots that i am all alone . But in the lineup at mecca during a bltz ...
Elow to elbow > I give 30 ft if there are other guys around . But as soon as you hook up your mobbed

Mikey

Its really bad here on the Island , Googs everywhere

fishincrazy
01-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Fish is right !!!!
The SS of LI gets nuts and its annoying!

I do fish spots that i am all alone . But in the lineup at mecca during a bltz ...
Elow to elbow > I give 30 ft if there are other guys around . But as soon as you hook up your mobbed

Mikey

Its really bad here on the Island , Googs everywhere

Amen Mikey.We don't see it as much in NJ but beware when you hook up:eek:
The place it happens to me is when I'm fishin Pulaski and the salmon are runnin elbows and a$$holes!!!!:scared:

FC:D

fishnambition
01-25-2009, 07:54 PM
To me it depends on the time and place. There are times when I would kill for 20 feet and times when 100 feet is way too close.

crosseyedbass
11-07-2009, 08:23 AM
I think the one time I really need space is when I take kids fishing. They don't have the skills yet to watch the line, or sometimes control the casts. If you don't want to get caught up give us some space.

lostatsea
11-07-2009, 10:35 PM
If there is strong current you should give the guy next to you greater distance.