PDA

View Full Version : The SnA downsized, unemployed, underemployed -- job resource and leads thread

bunkerjoe4
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Folks, the economy is so bad that there are no quick fixes. What was seen as a rise in unemployment in limited sectors is cutting across the board to all types of jobs. People are hurting out there. There are hundreds of folks getting laid off every day. Others are worried about keeping their jobs. Still others are being told they must accept part-time hours or reduced pay. Truly, I think those are the fortunate ones. Half a loaf is better than none. :)

I hope our new President can help to lead us out of this. In the meantime, the America I grew up in was a nation of strong, resolute individuals. I remember people helping each other when times were tough. This is the America I know.

To continue in that tradition, we will dedicate this thread to any leads, links, comments, or suggestions to help others find jobs.

You may post any job-related links you want in this forum, as long as they are not to other fishing sites.

Members, particularly those who come here every day, and may not feel the need to post -- here is your chance to contribute, help your fellow anglers, and be part of this community. I am asking you to rack your brains for any leads you know of.

The job you may think is too menial, or too technical, just might have a qualified applicant who is here looking for it.

Let's make this a solid resource for our fellow Americans who are hurting. Remember, the next person out of work could be you. Thank you for any help you can offer. :HappyWave:

mick2360
01-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for this, Joe. It will be a big help as it develops. We've got to hang together in times like the ones we are facing. :clapping:

bunkerjoe4
01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
This thread would not be possible without the suggestion of Mick2360. It was not my idea, and he deserves the credit. :clapping:

We do have some threads here that it would make sense to link to. Other than that, kudos to Mick for his suggestions. :HappyWave:

Remember folks -- leads to employment agencies, the guy down the block who needs a helper, the diner you eat at that needs a waiter or waitress, bartender, etc. The tackle shop that needs someone, but only on weekends? Etc, Etc. These would all be helpful.

There are some fields, such as the construction and financial fields, where there are not too many jobs right now. Some folks may want to consider working outside of their chosen field to put food on the table. We will try to do what we can.

Also acceptable are links to food pantries or Christian churches who have food closets for those in need.

Articles about finding jobs and areas that still hold promise would also be helpful. Please be sure to include the links if you post references to any published articles. In this way, almost any member can participate, if they want to. :) Thanks folks!

There was a thread a while ago about job leads and a recruiter in the NY area:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=402

Bunkerjoe's member promo forum--
If you are a contributing member, and a friend of yours is going through a slow business cycle, feel free to post about them in this forum . Maybe we can generate some publicity and business for them:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=135

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=834

DarkSkies
01-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Great thread and idea, Mick's a good guy. :clapping:

cracklepopper
01-29-2009, 09:28 AM
This is a great thread. As stated so many people are hurting and looking for jobs. One of the biggest job search sites out there is Hot jobs so I thought I would post this link:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

Thanks Joe and Mick, I think this thread will go a long way.

dogfish
01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
It's going to be a long time before this turns around, nice work here, guys. :clapping:

Americans receiving jobless benefits hits record

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON – The number of people receiving unemployment benefits has reached an all-time record, the government said Thursday, and more layoffs are spreading throughout the economy.

The Labor Department reported that the number of Americans continuing to claim unemployment insurance for the week ending Jan. 17 was a seasonally adjusted 4.78 million, the highest on records dating back to 1967. That's an increase of 159,000 from the previous week and worse than economists' expectations of 4.65 million.

As a proportion of the work force, the tally of unemployment benefit recipients is the highest since August 1983, a department analyst said.

The total released by the department doesn't include about 1.7 million people receiving benefits under an extended unemployment compensation program authorized by Congress last summer. That means the total number of recipients is actually closer to 6.5 million people.

Businesses continued to hemorrhage jobs Thursday. Ford Motor Co. reported a fourth-quarter loss of $5.9 billion and said its credit arm would cut 20 percent of its work force, or 1,200 jobs. Eastman Kodak Co. said it's cutting 3,500 to 4,500 jobs, or 14 to 18 percent of its work force, as it posted a $137 million quarterly loss on plunging sales of photography products.

The tally of Americans filing new jobless benefit claims rose slightly to a seasonally adjusted 588,000 last week, from a downwardly revised figure of 585,000 the previous week. That also was worse than analysts' forecast of 575,000 new claims.
The number of initial claims is close to the 26-year high of 589,000 reached in late December, though the work force has grown by about half since then.

The record number of ongoing benefit claims is an indication that laid-off workers are having a difficult time finding new jobs, economists said.

"This highlights the key point that the trend in gross hirings has slowed as abruptly as the trend in gross firings ... has risen," Ian Shepherdson, chief U.S. economist for High Frequency Economics, wrote in a research note.

A year ago, continuing claims stood at about 2.7 million, less than half their current level when the extended unemployment program is included.

Abiel Reinhart, an economic analyst at JPMorgan Chase, said the report indicates the unemployment rate likely rose this month. January's figure will be released Feb. 6.

The rate jumped to 7.2 percent in December, a 16-year high. Employers cut an average of 510,000 jobs in the last three months of 2008, and may cut a similar amount in January, Reinhart said.

The crush of new and continuing claims has overwhelmed many states' ability to process them all. Electronic filing systems crashed in three states earlier this month, and last week Michigan said it would hire 276 workers and open a fourth call center to handle increased phone traffic.

Companies have announced a huge number of layoffs this week as they prepare for an extended period of economic weakness.

Economists expect the current recession, which began in December 2007, to be the longest since World War II.

Starbucks Corp. on Wednesday said it would cut 6,700 jobs. The coffee company also said it would close 300 underperforming stores, on top of 600 it already planned to shut down.
Time Warner Inc.'s AOL division is cutting up to 700 jobs, or about 10 percent of the online unit's work force. And IBM Corp. has cut thousands of jobs in its sales, software and hardware divisions in the past week, without announcing specific numbers.
Boeing Co., Pfizer Inc., Home Depot Inc. and other U.S. corporate titans also have announced tens of thousands of job cuts this week alone. Companies have announced about 130,000 layoffs in January, according to an Associated Press tally.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090129/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy

DarkSkies
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
A little late notice, but I'm on the last legs of an apartment rehab. Tomorrow I have one replacement window left to do, and some fitting in and cutting of a new formica countertop and stainless sink. I will also be updating some electrical outlets and installing some fixtures. I already have the help I need to do it, but I'm putting an offer out there to anyone who is out of work and wants to learn some new skills. I'd be glad to teach ya what I know.

Maybe you want to make some money on the side in your neighborhood by learning new stuff. Jobsite is in NJ. If any of the above interests you, get at me with pm before 6am.

hookset
01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Angel Food Ministries

There is a ministry called Angel Food Ministries which you can buy a box of food for $30. It is a great buy when you are in need.

Below is the February Menu which is all inclusive of the $30. The Senior box is $28. You can also order additional food boxes for other prices.

Each month there is a new menu and you can order online. Click on the link to their site below enter your zip code to locate a pick up location nearest to your home.

It's a great value and in tough times really helps save on the food bill.

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

REGULAR BOX
Balanced nutrition and variety with enough food to feed a family of four for a week.

1.5 lb. Sirloin Strip Steaks
(4 x 6 oz.)

2 lb. Tray Pack Chicken Breast

1 lb. Boneless Pork Chops

2 lb. Breaded Chicken Nuggets

28 oz. Salisbury Steak Entrée

12 oz. Sliced Bacon

1 lb. All-Meat Hot Dog

1 lb. Stir Fry (Broccoli, Red Peppers & Onions)

1 lb. Carrots

8 oz. Breakfast Cereal

32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk

35 oz. Crinkle-Cut Fries

7.25 oz. Mac ‘n Cheese

1 lb. Rice

1 lb. Bean Soup Mix

Dozen Eggs

Dessert

SENIOR/CONVENIENCE BOX

For Seniors or People on the Go!

Ten perfectly seasoned, nutritionally balanced, fully cooked meals—just heat and serve. Each meal has been developed with the dietary needs of senior citizens in mind, and contains 3 oz. of protein, a starch & two vegetables or fruit.

Beef Chili Macaroni Casserole with Diced Carrots and Green Beans

Ham & White Beans with Diced Sweet Potatoes and Winter Blend Vegetables

Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo with Corn and Capri Blend Vegetables

Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice, Peas and Carrots, and Squash Medley

Flame Broiled BBQ Chicken Breast with Diced Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli

Seasoned Beef Chili with Beans, Broccoli and Applesauce

Beef Meatballs & Shell Pasta with Creamy Alfredo Sauce, Green Bean Casserole and Squash Medley

Pot Roast and Gravy with Vegetables, Diced Potatoes and Green Peas

Creamy Macaroni & Cheese with Diced Carrots and Green Peas

Grilled Chicken Breast over Rice & Gravy with Diced Carrots and Green Peas

10 2-pack, individually-wrapped cookies

$30.00

rockhopper
02-03-2009, 11:48 AM
NY Food Stamp Program

When I was a small child my parents were part of the food stamp program. There is no shame in it, so for all those in need do not hesitate to apply.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/directory/food.shtml

cracklepopper
02-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Recruiter Roundtable: Keys to Success in 2009

Expert Advice on What Job-Seekers Must Do This Year

In light of the troubling economic climate and tightening job market, what is the one thing that job-seekers must do in order to be successful in landing a good job in 2009?
Exhaust All Options

Tell everyone you know about the type of position you are looking for, network online and at industry events, go on informational interviews (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/interview), work with a recruiting firm, take on temporary assignments, and be flexible when meeting with prospective employers.

When developing your cover letter and resume (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/resume), quantify the value of your contributions to previous employers, including how you helped cut costs, reduce inefficiencies or improve profitability. There are opportunities available, but job seekers will have to work harder to find them and cannot afford to leave even one stone unturned.
-- DeLynn Senna, executive director of North American permanent placement services, Robert Half International

Network With Smarts
Candidates must be building and strengthening their network -- ideally before it's needed. Find networking (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/networking) events to go find other like-minded individuals and connectors. Build your online presence through your social networks and be an active participant in the community. And remember to give more than take -- share your knowledge, help others be better, and invest time in building strong, long-lasting relationships. These are the relationships that could turn into future job leads.
-- Lindsay Olson, partner, Paradigm Staffing

Flexibility Is Key
Stay open to opportunities in new or related industries, companies of a different size, or in a different location; and be aware that with the advent of technology, a new location just may be your home office.
Be flexible. You may or may not have to travel a bit more, take a different title, or give up some of the perks you've had in the past to assume your new role. All things being equal, if you're flexible around these topics you're chances of getting hired increase considerably.
-- Cheryl Ferguson, recruiter, The Recruiter's Studio

Diversify and Listen
My advice is two-fold: Be ready to diversify the ways in which you communicate your experiences AND listen well.
First, make a laundry list, just for yourself, of all the projects, contributions, ideas, etc., from your last three positions. This is what's not on your resume (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/resume). It jogs your memory about how you have differentiated yourself. You'll recall and distill examples of your success, and you'll be ready for more questions.
Second, listen closely to what the recruiter and/or hiring manager is asking you. They are looking for something very particular, whether the opportunity is leadership or entry-level. Walking someone through your resume or citing examples that they're not seeking could hinder your ability to seem specific to their job. You want to be very clear about your transferable skills and your willingness to adapt to their environment.
-- Ross Pasquale, recruiting/sourcing consultant, Monday Ventures

Tailor Your Resume
The most important thing that job seekers must do in 2009 to be successful is to diversify the content of their resumes based on the roles that they are applying for. For example, a job seeker may have worked in the past as a Java engineer, and also obtained project management along the way. However, a resume that is oriented strongly toward being a Java engineer has only a slight chance of being considered for a project-manager position.
For job seekers to increase their chances at success, they should shape their resumes to reflect relevant matching skills with the job posting(s) they are applying to. By doing so, a recruiter and/or hiring manager will more easily understand how a job seeker's past experiences apply to the posted role. This method increases the chance of being considered a strong candidate, receiving an interview (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/interview), and, ultimately, a new position.
-- Joanna Samuels, senior account manager, GravityPeople

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-recruiter_roundtable_keys_to_success_in_2009-621

voyager35
02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
but I'm putting an offer out there to anyone who is out of work and wants to learn some new skills. I'd be glad to teach ya what I know.

Nice offer there DS. Let me know if you ever want to come fishing on the boat with us. :clapping:

A link for US jobs
http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/

lostatsea
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
This is a great thread. Hopefully it will help someone.

In January 600,000 people were laid off. The unemployment rate is now at 7.6%.

How about monster.com, they are another job source.

strikezone31
02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
New York Allots Another $2 Billion for Unemployment Benefits
By Patrick McGeehan
Published: February 10, 2009

With 25,000 New Yorkers filing new claims for unemployment benefits every week, state lawmakers agreed on Tuesday to authorize paying out an additional $2 billion this year to the unemployed.

The agreement announced in Albany came five weeks after the state started borrowing from the federal government to cover a growing gap between what the state unemployment trust fund collects and what it pays out each week. The current budget had allowed for $3 billion per year in benefits to the state’s unemployed, but state officials now estimate those payouts will rise to $4.6 billion as the recession grinds on.

The new limit, of $5 billion this year, “allows some flexibility in case there’s some further deterioration,” said Jeffrey Gordon, a spokesman for the state’s budget office.

But the agreement does not address the underlying problems that have left the state fund with a rapidly widening shortfall. New York State taxes a smaller amount of each worker’s annual pay than neighboring states do, leaving it with less of a cushion to cover benefits in hard times.
“What they should be doing is fixing the trust fund by raising the threshold for contributions and adjusting the benefits,” said Denis M. Hughes, president of the New York State A.F.L.-C.I.O. “For the working men and women of this state, they have to make this system more solvent.”
The maximum weekly unemployment check of $405 in New York is lower than in neighboring states like New Jersey ($584), Connecticut ($576) and Massachusetts ($628).

More than 420,000 state residents are collecting unemployment checks, up from about 175,000 a year ago, according to Gov. David A. paterson's office. The jobless rolls are still growing, with twice as many people filing first-time claims for benefits each week as there were a year ago. In December, the state's unemployment rate rose to 7 percent from 6 percent in November.

On Feb. 22, the state is scheduled to start paying extended unemployment benefits to thousands of New Yorkers whose benefits have lapsed in the first several weeks of 2009. The rise in the state’s unemployment rate in December qualified residents who had exhausted 46 weeks of benefits to collect an additional 13 weeks.

dogfish
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I can't say I would qualify for any of these jobs, but maybe it's not too late for some of you younger pups.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-wanted_you_10_jobs_where_employers_come_looking_fo r_you-668

by Romy LeClaire Loran, FindtheRightSchool.com

Within the next few years, jobs will outstrip demand in some professions. Some employers may even woo you with incentive bonuses, well-paid salaries, and good benefits packages. So, instead of preparing for a career where the job search process is long and grueling, why not find a career where prospective employers practically come knocking on the door? Accountants
With an array of new businesses and ever-changing laws, accountants will be needed to assist clients with their record keeping and tax needs. A bachelor's degree in accounting (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTBmdmxobmRzBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMTk1MA--/SIG=14sah3t8d/**http%3A//o1.qnsr.com/cgi/r%3F;n=203;c=268873;s=5074;x=7936;f=20070320180621 0;u=j;z=TIMESTAMP;sub=accounting;category=accounti ng;SRCCLK=662080612113517545) can get you started in this rapidly growing profession, which paid an annual average salary (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/salary) of $63,180 in 2007, according to The Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS).
Computer Software Engineer
We may not even realize it, but software plays an increasing role in our lives. Don't believe it? Your last trip to the grocery store or even the fast food joint down the street was made quicker and more efficient with computer software. If you enjoy math and computer science, you can earn your bachelor's degree in computer science (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTBmdmxobmRzBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMTk1MA--/SIG=14senunah/**http%3A//o1.qnsr.com/cgi/r%3F;n=203;c=279329;s=5074;x=7936;f=20070425184415 0;u=j;z=TIMESTAMP;sub=technology;category=technolo gy;SRCCLK=662080612113517545) or in computer engineering and become a computer software engineer. In 2007, you would have made a yearly average wage of $85,660.
Dental Hygienist
As the need for dental care increases, dentists continue to rely heavily on their hygienists for cleaning, X-rays, and preventative care. Many dental hygienists (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobs-k-Dental%20Hygienist-c-Healthcare) work part-time and enjoy flexible hours. An online dental hygiene program can help prepare you for this lucrative career, which is expected to grow 30 percent by 2016. In 2007, dental hygienists made an annual average salary of $64,910.
Elementary Teacher
Want to contribute to the future? With many teachers nearing retirement, the need continues to grow for new elementary teachers who enjoy kids and want to see them reach their potential. You'll need a bachelor's degree in education (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTBmdmxobmRzBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMTk1MA--/SIG=14qndfucb/**http%3A//o1.qnsr.com/cgi/r%3F;n=203;c=266051;s=5074;x=7936;f=20070313155601 0;u=j;z=TIMESTAMP;sub=education;category=education ;SRCCLK=662080612113517545) or another related field. Certification requirements vary by state, but in 2007 elementary teachers earned $50,040 on average, with the added bonus of time off during the year.
Environmental Science and Protection Technician
As more companies, businesses, and governments need to go green, the number of people who can monitor pollutants and wastes will increase dramatically. As an environmental science technician, you'll help find new ways to alleviate environmental stress on the planet. An associate's degree in applied science may be all you need in some instances for this quickly growing profession, which paid an average of $42,190 in 2007.
Nurse
The need for nurses is expected to grow considerably as the population continues to age. Hospitals, doctors' offices, clinics, and nursing homes will need nurses (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobs-k-Nurse-c-Healthcare) with a bachelor's degree or an associate's degree from an approved nursing program. The 2.5 million nurses in this country made, on average, $62,480 annually in 2007.
Personal Finance Advisor
If you enjoy helping others and have an interest in the world of finance, becoming a personal finance advisor may be for you. A bachelor's degree in finance (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTBmdmxobmRzBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMTk1MA--/SIG=14ma7jbhc/**http%3A//o1.qnsr.com/cgi/r%3F;n=203;c=268872;s=5074;x=7936;f=20070320180453 0;u=j;z=TIMESTAMP;sub=finance;category=finance;SRC CLK=662080612113517545) will prepare you for this rapidly growing and increasingly complex profession. By helping clients make financial decisions relating to investments, personal finance advisors earned an average yearly wage of $89,220 in 2007.
Physical Therapist Assistant
The baby boomers may be aging but they still love to play. After an injury or for a complaint such as arthritis, patients need treatment, and physical therapists need qualified assistants. An online associate's degree from an accredited physical therapist assistant program (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTBmdmxobmRzBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMTk1MA--/SIG=13pi558v5/**http%3A//o1.qnsr.com/cgi/r%3F;n=203;c=269240;s=5074;x=7936;f=20070321154733 0;u=j;z=TIMESTAMP;SRCCLK=662080612113517545) can prepare you for this career. In 2007, physical therapist assistants made $44,340 a year.
Skin Care Specialist
With an increasing population that is also interested in skin care, the need for skin care specialists or estheticians is on the rise. In 2007, skin care specialists earned an average annual wage of $30,600. A program in skin care will give you the career training you need to provide facials, body treatments, and make-up advice to keep your clients looking gorgeous.
Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor
Substance abuse and behavior disorder counselors assist clients with their recovery from addiction. Whether their clients are facing problems with alcohol, drugs, gambling, or eating disorders, counselors help them get on with their lives. A bachelor's degree in counseling (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTBmdmxobmRzBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMTk1MA--/SIG=148cosli1/**http%3A//o1.qnsr.com/cgi/r%3F;n=203;c=268819;s=5074;x=7936;f=20070319155804 0;u=j;z=TIMESTAMP;sub=psychology;SRCCLK=6620806121 13517545) and career training can prepare you for this worthwhile but emotionally demanding job, which paid an average yearly wage of $37,830 in 2007.
Veterinary Technologist and Technician
Veterinary technologists and technicians serve as nurses to pooches and felines. You may also work in an aquarium or a zoo. A two- or four-year program in veterinary technology can provide you with career training in this quickly growing profession, which paid $28,920 on average in 2007.
Online associate's degrees and bachelor's degrees have never been so accessible. With many schools and programs to choose from, you can begin the career training you need for a profession whose employer just may be looking for you.

cracklepopper
02-19-2009, 09:01 AM
One of the most important items needed when searching for a job is a good resume. Your computer has templets, and building help in Microsoft word. To access it do the following:

Open Microsoft Word, then click on:
File
New
Templates or New from Template

Click on either:
Template or Templates on Office Online (browse a large selection) or
Templates on My Computer
Other Documents (four resume templates)

Please beaware that all templates may work with all versions of Word, so check before you download. There will be a message next to the download button advising if there are restrictions.

Visit Microsoft Resume Templates, browse the resume templates, then click on the resume title to preview the resume sample. Click the Download Now button, then follow the instructions to download the resume template to your computer.

rockhopper
02-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't forget a good cover letter. That is the first impression, do a google search on how to write one up.

cowherder
02-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Springfield Library offers help for job seekers

The Springfield free public library is responding to the economic downturn by offering a session with Janice O'Brien, Job Developer and Case Manager at the Union County One-Stop Center in Elizabeth on March 5 at 11am.

Another session on Job Search 2.0 is planned for later in March and will cover the use of social networking sites such as Twitter as job search tools. The March 5 session will be held in the Palmer Museum at the library and is free to all.

Ms. Janice O'Brien, Job Developer and Case Manager at the Union County One-Stop Center in Elizabeth, will discuss the full spectrum of services available to Union County job seekers through various county and state agencies.
The Union County One-Stop Career Centers provide job search services, including career counseling, job listings, industry outlooks and assistance with vocational training. The One-Stops also partner with Union County College, local employers and non-profit organizations to match Union County residents with specialized training programs leading to employment.
Some topics to be covered include the Professional Services group within the NJ Division of Labor who offer resume development, Unemployment Services and special programs for veterans, seniors and people with disabilities.
The session will be held in the Palmer Museum at the library and is free to all. For more information on this session and other resources the library offers to job seekers, please stop by the Reference Desk or call 973-376-4930.

surferman
03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
The unemployment rate is getting worse everyday. One thing that seems to be helping people are the numerous job fairs that they are having. If there is one in your area, you should get your resume together and go.

mick2360
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Nice thread with some guys putting up quality posts. Let's look out for one another....who knows who could be next? :scared:

bababooey
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Read this on yahoo

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/106795/Why-College-Towns-Are-Looking-Smart

Why College Towns Are Looking Smart

by Kelly Evans
Wednesday, March 25, 2009provided by
Looking for a job? Try a college town.
Morgantown, W.Va., home to West Virginia University, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the U.S. -- just 3.9% -- and the university itself has about 260 job openings, from nurses to professors to programmers.

"We're hurting for people, especially to fill our computer and technical positions," says Margaret Phillips, vice president for human relations at WVU.
Of the six metropolitan areas with unemployment below 4% as of January, three of them are considered college towns. One is Morgantown. The other two are Logan, Utah, home of Utah State University, and Ames, Iowa, home of Iowa State University. Both have just 3.8% unemployment, based on Labor Department figures that are not seasonally adjusted.
The pattern holds true for many other big college towns, such as Gainesville, Fla., Ann Arbor, Mich., Manhattan, Kan., and Boulder, Colo. In stark contrast, the unadjusted national unemployment rate is 8.5%.
While college towns have long been considered recession-resistant, their ability to avoid the depths of the financial crisis shaking the rest of the nation is noteworthy. The ones faring the best right now are not only major education centers; they also are regional health-care hubs that draw people into the city and benefit from a stable, educated, highly skilled work force.

The big question hanging over these communities is whether their formula for success can outlast the nation's nastiest recession in at least a quarter-century. Amid investment losses and state budget woes, many college cities are starting to see their unemployment rates rise, even though they're still lower than the national average. The longer the recession drags on, the more likely college towns are to catch up with their harder-hit peers.
They already have felt the impact of the recession. WVU saw its endowment fall by nearly a quarter in the second half of 2008, and its hospitals are reducing 401(k) matching contributions and delaying $20 million in capital spending, though its state funding has remained intact.
State Funding Cuts
Utah State University has seen nearly 10% of its state funding cut in the past six months, and in response has laid off about 20 employees and imposed a mandatory weeklong furlough for its employees during spring break to save costs. Iowa State, facing a 9% reduction in state appropriations, just received approval to begin an early-retirement program.
But for now, at least, job seekers who act quickly -- and are willing to relocate -- could well fare better in places like Morgantown, which is about 70 miles south of Pittsburgh near the Pennsylvania border. College towns like Morgantown have a distinct advantage over many other cities: They enjoy a constant stream of graduates, some who stay put and others who return years later -- and each year brings a new crop of students and potential residents to the area.
"I could go almost anywhere and get a job right now," says Shane Cruse, a senior in the WVU school of nursing who graduates in May, citing the shortage of nurses nationwide. But come June 1, he'll be starting as a registered nurse at WVU's Ruby Memorial Hospital.
"I love it here," Mr. Cruse says. "It's a large-enough city that there's plenty to do. But you still leave your house and feel like it's your hometown."
WVU has a current enrollment of nearly 29,000, about the same size as the city of Morgantown, though the metro population is now about 115,000 and draws thousands more daily from the surrounding region for health care, shopping and WVU athletic events.
Today, the university and its hospital system together employ nearly 12,500 people -- the largest employer in the whole state. Job growth in the Morgantown metropolitan area averaged 3.2% a year from 2002-07, according to the university's Bureau of Business and Economic Research, compared to growth of just 1.1% nationally and 0.7% in West Virginia. The university system in total has an estimated annual economic impact of about $3.9 billion statewide.
Highly Skilled Work Force
Economists credit a highly skilled work force for the resilience of college towns. Edward Glaeser, an economics professor at Harvard University, has demonstrated that as the share of the adult population with college degrees in a city increases by 10%, wages correspondingly rise by about 7.8%.
"Apart from weather, human capital has been the best long-run predictor of urban success in the last century," Mr. Glaeser says.
Nikki Bowman, a 1992 graduate of WVU, is the kind of person economists have in mind when they speak of "human capital." She spent years in the magazine industry in places like Chicago and Washington, D.C., before returning last year to start her own magazine, WV Living, which was launched in November.
"It was my dream to come back, and I knew I could make it work," says Ms. Bowman, 37. "Part of why I wanted to be here was to pull from the journalism school and I have a lot of great interns as a result," which helps keep her payroll costs down.
WVU graduate Lindsay Williams, 29, started work as a real-estate broker with Howard Hanna's Morgantown office shortly after leaving WVU while waiting for her then-boyfriend -- now her husband -- to finish his degree. She now serves as president of the Morgantown Board of Realtors.
Another factor helping college towns: "communiversity," the current term for partnerships between universities and their home cities, such as joint economic development projects. The trend also reflects a shift in education to increasingly emphasize out-of-classroom learning, such as internships and volunteer work, that by definition engages the community, according to Sal Rinella, president of the Society for College and University Planning in Los Angeles.
"We could actually call these town-gown partnerships a kind of new movement in American higher education," he says. "In the last 20 years or so, the boundaries between the cities and the universities have really begun to crumble."
Planning experts point to the successful relationships between the University of Pennsylvania and downtown Philadelphia, and Johns Hopkins University's multimillion-dollar partnership with the East Baltimore Development Corp. But the college-town effect has its greatest impact in places like Morgantown.
The close relationship between Morgantown and WVU was partly borne out of desperation. In 1991, a young, reform-minded group including Ron Justice, who is now the mayor, was elected to the city council at a pivotal moment; the decades-long decline of railroad and heavy industry in Morgantown meant the city urgently needed to find a new engine of growth.
The council hired a city manager to oversee municipal finances, and began working more closely with the WVU administration in a joint effort to turn the town around. They started out small, with road-paving projects and public safety. In 2001, the university relocated a major new administration building in the city's blighted Wharf District instead of its downtown campus.

dogfish
03-30-2009, 02:12 AM
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/best-places-for-business-and-careers.html;_

By Kurt Badenhausen, Forbes.com

Mar 26th, 2009

Best Places for Business and Careers

Raleigh, N.C., and its fellow Tar Heel metros shine in our annual look at America's largest cities.

The economy shed 651,000 jobs in February and 4.4 million since the recession began in December 2007. Only a handful of metro areas have escaped falling employment over the past three months. Yet there are still some places out there that remain attractive to businesses.
Our 11th annual ranking of the Best Places for Business and Careers features clear winners in North Carolina (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina;_ylt=Ar6t71nGJVHHB2HKDDAYIBfxkdEF) and Colorado (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Colorado;_ylt=ArVjaZ0EHbOkBowsOAk.7EXxkdEF), home to a combined 10 of the 20 top metro areas.
Leading the way is Raleigh, N.C., (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Raleigh/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Ar7pfxyNGXLfX4f6d3GGvhTxkdEF) which grabbed the top spot for a third straight year on the strength of strong job growth (both past and projected), low business costs and a highly educated workforce.

In Depth: Best Places for Business and Careers (http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/20/bizplaces09_all_slide_2.html?partner=yahoore)
Employment is expected to fall during 2009 in Raleigh (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Raleigh/neighborhoods;_ylt=AmeB9xbEUTwfKdgyimEE7wbxkdEF) after jobs were added at a 4% annual clip the past five years. But the job picture is expected to brighten in 2010 and 2011, and the three-year projected annual employment gain is 1.4%. according to Moody's Economy.com, 15th best in the country.
Helping fuel Raleigh's strong economy is the Research Triangle Park, one of the oldest and largest science parks in North America. It is located between Raleigh and Durham (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Durham/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AsR4K56l2UKHqXMMTk8rQpbxkdEF) and is home to 170 companies employing 42,000 people. Big employers include Biogen Idec, Cisco Systems and IBM.
"Raleigh is holding up better than any other place in North Carolina," says Matthew Martin, an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Va. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Virgina/Richmond/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Ar725EEhCssj0sqKSaJBrjLxkdEF) He cites the significant higher education presence and low manufacturing base in the area for Raleigh's steady economy.
Keeping Raleigh company at the top are fellow Tar Heel State metros Durham (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Durham/neighborhoods;_ylt=AgKRtckXIpMJKh6kDYW0d9TxkdEF) (ranked third), Asheville (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Asheville/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AgG75WfNvC99vMS.3qzwLdzxkdEF) (sixth), Wilmington (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Wilmington/homes-for-sale;_ylt=At5.NcvLlfHF7jJtmsL9UTvxkdEF) (13th), Winston-Salem (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Winston-salem/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AlJfxVqzmDaRFHCSCdLw9GjxkdEF) (18th) and Charlotte (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Charlotte/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AkJ6JuoIkL36g9wpkgqsFgXxkdEF) (19th).
Our rankings looked at the 200 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S., which range from the New York (http://realestate.yahoo.com/New_York/New_York/homes-for-sale;_ylt=ApgjBQ1af9KAghiKY3w.zl_xkdEF) metro and its 11.7 million people to Olympia, Wash., (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Washington/Olympia/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AqurP2lUnHmiPY.OcoI.2.HxkdEF) with a population of 241,000. We examined each on 11 different criteria. Economic research firm Moody's Economy.com supplied data on job growth over the past five years and projections through 2011. Economy.com also provided business and living cost data as well as income growth and migration trends.
We also turned to Bert T. Sperling, city researcher and co-author of Cities Ranked & Rated for some labor supply and quality of life information. Sperling furnished data on college attainment, crime rates, local colleges and cultural and recreational opportunities in the area.
In a nod to the current economic climate, we added two new categories this year: projected job growth and subprime mortgages (http://realestate.yahoo.com/loans;_ylt=AhakC.API7cDiDvTb7cCaZrxkdEF) as a percentage of total originations over a three-year period. This change helped boost several metros in the rankings, most notably Austin, Texas (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Austin/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Ar0qAK11Y6eDGU1D37F11HzxkdEF), which ranked eighth this year, up from 47th last year. Austin's (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Austin/neighborhoods;_ylt=Aq5msotOHA.v0ebkFl9SCCTxkdEF) projected annual job growth rate of 2.3% is fifth fastest in the country, and its subprime mortgage (http://realestate.yahoo.com/loans;_ylt=AuaA_7XqrivtqDYyQVwVqLHxkdEF) exposure clocked in at 13th.
The city has a fan in the Charles Schwab Corporation. "The city of Austin is extremely business-friendly. They have bent over backwards to accommodate us," says Glenn Cooper, head of real estate at Schwab, which expanded its Austin presence in 2007 when it purchased the 401(k) Co. Cooper highlights the political environment, culture and cost of living as draws for Schwab to Austin.
Bringing up the rear of our rankings are the troubled spots in California. The Golden State had its worst showing ever in our tally. It is home to six of the seven lowest-rated spots, and Riverside (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/Riverside/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Ai91_C_QOa1Ee2QIoWzRvvXxkdEF) was the only one of its 21 metro areas (among the country's 200 biggest) that cracked the top 100. Most California metros are burdened with sky-high living and business costs, and the job outlook is week. The unemployment rate in 199th-ranked Merced, Calif., (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/Merced/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AmwVT_V7d5TD_sG_7Z4GIs3xkdEF) is expected to hit 21% in 2010.
The current recession is too deep and widespread for even our best-rated cities to escape damage. Yet when things do turn around, expect many places ranked at the top to be at the head of the pack, notes Marisa Di Natale, an economist at Economy.com.
"Austin, Boulder [Colo.], (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Colorado/Boulder/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Av05ufcATflWfZ62LGEPzyvxkdEF) Fort Collins [Colo.] (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Colorado/Fort_Collins/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Aldx3DgOtZVl.3t5KjHWZ5rxkdEF) and to a lesser extent Raleigh all have a lot of high-tech investment," she says. "We think that is one of the first things that comes back once the economy does recover."
Top 5 Best Places
1. Raleigh, NC
Metro Area Population: 1,086,000

2. Fort Collins, CO (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Colorado/Fort_Collins/neighborhoods;_ylt=AuoPL0LzuUh4vhnB4y.ymKjxkdEF)
(http://realestate.yahoo.com/Colorado/Fort_Collins/neighborhoods;_ylt=AuoPL0LzuUh4vhnB4y.ymKjxkdEF)Me tro Area Population: 292,000

3. Durham, NC
Metro Area Population: 487,000

4. Fayetteville, AR (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Arkansas/Fayetteville/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AqtlDe3QZvu8D6Hx0LfTAL3xkdEF)
Metro Area Population: 442,000

5. Lincoln, NE (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Nebraska/Lincoln/homes-for-sale;_ylt=As0kdkj5oHd47HIKYYwwQ0DxkdEF)
Metro Area Population: 296,000

wholesalesupplydirect.com
04-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I am looking for Jobbers for each state only 2 per state! Sell to places and then send them to me and you still collect on all future sales from that place! I am hoping these will fill up fast remember only 2 per state! I will assist in getting you started. You will need ot make a small investment to get items to show. You will also be able to get pictures from my website and build you own catalogs. Keep me informed of your customer I will put you in my database as the owner of that customer and it will be yours as long as you continue to work for me! Call me 765-606-0441 if you have questions or are ready to sign up! You can sell this stuff anywhere! Bait shops, gas stations, convience stores, lodges, resorts, heck have a rumage sale! Sell online! You can do it!

gjb1969
04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
i am going to give u a call if its not to late i have guys i have sold stuff to be for this would be a nice fit whats a good time to call u

cowherder
04-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Job fair Morris County

Job fair in will feature 40 employers

Friday, April 10, 2009 BY LAWRENCE RAGONESE
Star-Ledger Staff

Job seekers in Northwest Jersey will get a shot at matching up with an employer at a fair to be held in Morris County in two weeks, according to county officials.
Jack Patton, director of the Morris, Sussex, Warren counties Workforce Investment Board, said it is possible a flood of job applicants will attend the April 21 job fair at the Morris County Public Safety Academy in Parsippany because of high unemployment rates in the region.
http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.nj.com/xml/story/star_ledger/nm/nmr/263135981/StoryAd/NJONLINE/TrentCel02_NJ_RoS_Rect/987661.html/30613035303230323439643631303130?_RM_EMPTY_&

"We aren't quite sure how this will turn out," Patton said. "Honestly, we don't know if we will be overrun."
Among the 40 companies scheduled to participate are Sovereign Bank, UPS, Ronetco Supermarkets, St. Joseph's Healthcare Systems, Benjamin Moore, JCP&L, Hitachi Plastics, Cablevision, Dove Chocolate Discoveries and Marcal Paper.
Workshops will be offered to job applicants on interviewing techniques, networking and re-imaging your career. A résumé review service also will be available.
Patton said an influx of newly unemployed people has been contacting his agency for help. The group includes a more educated clientele, many of whom are not used to being unemployed.
"There are people with more skills, more education," he said. "They tend to be better at networking skills and have important computer skills. It should give them a leg up in finding new jobs."
The job fair is co-sponsored by Patton's agency, plus the Morris County One Stop Career Center and the state Department of Labor. It will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Public Safety Academy, located at 500 W. Hanover Ave., across the street from the Morris View Healthcare Center.
Job seekers are advised to dress professionally and bring several résumés. Patton said company officials could do interviews on the spot or arrange for interviews at future dates.
More information may be obtained by calling (973) 361-0043 or (973) 829-8400 ext. 22. Directions are available at morrisacademy.org/directions.asp.

cracklepopper
08-12-2009, 08:42 PM
The Job Seeker's Top 10 List

by Clea Badion, Robert Half International

It goes without saying that today's job market is more challenging than it has been for many years. That means you have to work even harder to uncover opportunities and distinguish yourself among a crowded field of applicants. Here are 10 strategies to help you gain an edge in a tough employment market:

#1: Leave your comfort zone. Don't limit your search to your current industry or field. Expand your horizons by focusing on your transferable skills. When writing your resume (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/resume) and cover letter, note the qualifications you possess that are valuable in any number of jobs, such as leadership and communication skills, and showcase how those abilities would apply to the open position. #2: Minimize work history gaps. Hiring managers look for applicants who have remained professionally engaged and kept their skills current during periods of unemployment. If you are unable to find a position right away, consider temporary assignments, internships, and volunteer opportunities to stay active professionally. You also might consider taking a class to increase your knowledge in a specific area.
#3: Be flexible. Remaining open to all possibilities is essential in a challenging economy. Don't overlook a position even if the job title, salary, or benefits may not be exactly what you hoped for. Once you get your foot in the door and prove yourself, you may be able to renegotiate aspects of the position.
#4: Manage your digital footprint. Think your friends are the only people who viewed those wild vacation photos you posted online? With a few mouse clicks, potential employers can dig up information about you, too, on blogs, personal websites and networking sites. As you look for employment, keep tabs on your online reputation to make sure there is no information about you on the Web that could affect your professional reputation.
#5: Find jobs before they're advertised. Read local newspapers and business publications to identify companies that may be expanding, and send them your resume (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/resume), even if they have no advertised openings. These firms may be searching for good talent anyway.
#6: Cast a wide net. While the major job boards can be extremely useful, don't forget to investigate industry sites specific to your industry or professional discipline. These venues may list more targeted career opportunities.
#7: Network online and off. Tell everyone you know that you are looking for a job, including those you've met through networking websites such as LinkedIn and Facebook. Just keep mind that, while online networking is effective, it's still important to arrange face-to-face meetings. Ask an online contact to a lunch meeting to build rapport.
#8: Customize your materials. Sending out a generic resume isn't likely to catch a potential employer's attention. Tailor your application materials to showcase your relevant skills for each opportunity, based on the job description. Employers want to see why you are the best fit for a particular position.
#9: Enhance your marketability. Find out what skills are most in-demand in your field and take steps -- such as enrolling a class at a community college or a weekend seminar -- to give yourself an edge in these areas. Attending events hosted by a local professional association and reading relevant trade publications are good ways to determine which abilities employers in your field value most.
#10: Meet with a recruiter. Staffing professionals often have access to open positions that aren't advertised and can effectively double your job search efforts. They also can provide useful feedback on your resume, cover letter and interview (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/interview) skills, helping you improve your job-hunting techniques -- and chances at landing a position.

CharlieTuna
09-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't know if this is in the right place because it's not completely job related. Mods feel free to move. I thought it was a good article insofar as it talked about how to get out of the chokehold of debt that is hurtiing many Americans.

http://customsites.yahoo.com/financiallyfit/finance/article-107752-2691-0-how-one-family-shed-106000-in-debt?ywaad=ad0035
The Biggest Losers (of Debt): How a Family Shed $106,000 in Debt

Karen Kroll
Friday, September 18, 2009

This article is part of a series related to being Financially Fit (http://customsites.yahoo.com/financiallyfit/finance/index)

Meet the Hildebrandts; their frugal ways lost debt, won an award
Five years ago, the Hildebrandt family of New Richmond, Wis., was juggling more than $100,000 in credit card and personal debt. Through frugality, determination and hard work, they are now -- other than a mortgage -- debt-free.

At the time, Russell and Kandy Hildebrandts' credit card balances totaled about $89,000, and they owed $17,000 to a family member. While they were current on all the payments, the card companies had begun raising their interest rates, adding hundreds to their minimum monthly payments. Kandy acknowledges that they presented a higher credit risk, given how their balances had ballooned. Even so, with the bump in the required payments, covering the monthly payments was a struggle. "We had to change," Kandy says.

Change they did. For their debt-fighting prowess, the Hildebrandts were on Tuesday night named the winners of the Professional Achievement and Counseling Excellence (PACE) 2009 Graduate Client of the Year Award. This national award, given by the National Foundation for Credit Counseling, recognizes the hard work and commitment they demonstrated in repaying their debts, and their willingness to become effective managers of their money and change their lifestyle. (Disclosure: CreditCards.com Senior Reporter Connie Prater served as a judge in the awards.)

Slow Decline Into Debt
Not that the Hildebrandts' lifestyle was lavish. The couple, along with their twin daughters, Heidi and Holly, lived in a rented 1,000 square foot townhome. Vacations consisted of visits to extended family members in the Midwest. Russell was a chemist with a Twin Cities-based environmental testing laboratory; Kandy was a stay-at-home mom and home-schooled their daughters.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/fi/24/68/44.jpg
Photo: Jeff HolmquistRussell and Kathy Hildebrandt of New Richmond, Wis., won an award for successfully tackling $106,000 in credit card and personal debt through thrifty spending, a second job and bit-by-bit payments on their credit card balances. They're shown outside their home surrounded by their three children, 14-year-old twins Heidi (left) and Holly, and 3-year-old Joey.
While the Hildebrandts weren't living extravagantly, they also weren't frugal, Kandy notes. They purchased most items, such as clothes for the girls, new. In addition, they had medical expenses related to Russell's diabetes and several miscarriages that Kandy suffered. At the same time, they remained committed to tithing, or giving 10 percent of their income to their church. The accumulation of day-to-day expenses left the family going a bit more into debt each year.
Bankruptcy? No Thanks
Several family friends recommended that they file for bankruptcy. That was out of the question, Russell says. "We were committed to paying off our debts."They also resolved to continue to tithe and home-school their daughters.

To get started, Kandy met with Linda Humburg, a manager with FamilyMeans Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS) in Stillwater, Minn. Linda reviewed their finances, and developed a five-year debt management plan. While the schedule was daunting, the Hildebrandts signed on. "If we didn't make it, we knew that we would go out trying," Russell says.

Several steps were key to making the plan work. Kandy and Russell eliminated discretionary spending. Kandy began buying generic food and frequenting thrift stores for clothing purchases. They stopped exchanging Christmas and birthday gifts with each other and their relatives.

Even with the drastic cutbacks, the Hildebrandts couldn't cover the $2,000 they were sending to CCCS each month to be distributed to their creditors. At that time, the sum amounted to about half of Russell's take-home pay. So Russell took on a second job cleaning a local grocery store several nights a week from midnight to 4:30 a.m. He would arrive home from his day job, eat dinner, catch a few hours of sleep and head to work. After his shift, he would go back home, sleep a few more hours and then get up for his day job.

Slow Progress
The first two years were particularly tough. Russell's work schedule was grueling, while Kandy managed just about everything at home on her own. Moreover, while their credit card balances were going down, the drop wasn't yet noticeable. For about a year, the Hildebrandts made do with one car, until they received a used van from Kandy's family.

Even so, "they didn't let anything deter them from progress," Humburg says. "If the money wasn't available, they simply did without." Equally, important the Hildebrandts kept their goal -- becoming debt-free -- in mind.

After the first few years, the Hildebrandts' efforts finally seemed to be bearing fruit. Their card balances were coming down, and some were getting paid off. As one card reached zero, CCCS would apply the money that had gone to it to the remaining balances. As a result, those cards would get paid off even more quickly.

About this time, Kandy became pregnant with Joey, who's now 3. While recognizing that a new child would mean additional expenses, the couple was thrilled. "The joy he brought to a negative, grinding situation was the light we needed," she says.

Dream Home Appears
By the fall of 2008, the Hildebrandts had one year to go on the payment plan. Russell even started daydreaming about a new home when he saw a three-bedroom rambler for sale in New Richmond. It had all that they were looking for, including a large yard and a separate bedroom for Joey. Russell let a real estate agent know that they liked the house, but added that the family would have to pay off their debts before taking on a mortgage.
Several months later the agent called and asked if the Hildebrandts would be interested in a rent-to-own agreement. The current owner of the house had some health concerns and was eager to move. The monthly rent would be $1,000, which included $200 to be escrowed for closing costs. They could manage it.
Earlier this year, the owner wanted to accelerate the sale process. In April, using the tax credit for first-time home buyers, the Hildebrandts were able to swing the purchase and pay off the remaining balances on their credit cards about six months ahead of schedule.

Now, the Hildebrandts are content in their new home and free of debt, other than their mortgage. Russell has been able to quit his second job and spend more time with his family -- and catch up on sleep.

Frugal Habits Stick
Several things haven't changed, however. Kandy remains a dedicated bargain hunter. Shopping online, she found eight bar stools for their kitchen island and basement family room for $24; at a yard sale, she bought a $2 desk for the girls. The Hildebrandts "had to completely rethink how they spent and what was a need versus a want," Humburg says.

Both Russell and Kandy say that while bankruptcy might have seemed like an easier option at the outset, it would not have been as satisfying. They wouldn't have learned to take control over their money and spending. What's more, with a bankruptcy on their credit record, they wouldn't have been able to purchase a house when they did.

Their advice to others? "Get out of debt," Kandy says. "It's a chokehold."

mick2360
09-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Great post! Very inspirational. Good to see folks sticking to principals and working to overcome poor choices in their past!

dogfish
09-23-2009, 05:53 PM
don't sell your houses and move across country just yet, lads.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/home-price-outlook-dismal-through-2009-1.aspx[/URL]

2009 Real Estate Guide
Print (http://www.bankrate.com/mortgage.aspx) E-mail (javascript:openEmailWindow();)

http://www.bankrate.com/Images/200x75-1.jpg
real estate
Home-price outlook dismal through 2009
By Lori Johnston (editors@bankrate.com) • Bankrate.com

Table of contents (http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/bankrate-s-2009-real-estate-guide.aspx)
Today's market
<LI PMO_ID$="PMO_ID$_27" PMO_CLAS$="element" PMO_$="LI">'New-old' rules drive real estate market (http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/new-old-rules-drive-real-estate-market-1.aspx) <LI PMO_ID$="PMO_ID$_28" PMO_CLAS$="element" PMO_$="LI">Home-price outlook dismal through 2009 (http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/home-price-outlook-dismal-through-2009-1.aspx)
See all stories » (http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/bankrate-s-2009-real-estate-guide.aspx)

Buyer's boon

Seller's sufferings

Standing your ground

There is a new normal.
Foreclosures up. Prices down. Once-stable housing markets seem like they were built on a real estate fault line.
The tremors roll across the country, devastating buyers, sellers, developers, builders and entire cities, and leaving folks wondering if they're on solid ground or if the "big one" is yet to come.
Forecasters expect the worst this year. Home prices will continue to decline in most markets in order to reach bottom, expected in 2010 for many major U.S. cities.
"We're not looking for this year to be a good year," says Bernard Markstein, senior economist and director of forecasting of the Washington, D.C.-based National Association of Home Builders.
Overview: 40-city chart (http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/home-price-outlook-dismal-through-2009-4.aspx)
City-by-city price forecasts

Over-inflated markets earlier this decade are obviously showing the strongest price declines. Building permits in some cities have reached the lowest point since the early 1990s and are expected to stay that way into 2010.
"It's likely that we're still too optimistic," says David Stiff, chief economist with Fiserv. "The news is so grim every day, even households that have secure jobs don't have the confidence to purchase homes."
For Bankrate's annual look at U.S. markets, we sought forecasts from those who follow trends in home sales and prices as well as foreclosures, building permits, job growth and population trends.
Our panel of experts included:
<LI PMO_ID$="PMO_ID$_39" PMO_CLAS$="element" PMO_$="LI">David Stiff, chief economist with Fiserv <LI PMO_ID$="PMO_ID$_40" PMO_CLAS$="element" PMO_$="LI">Ingo Winzer, president of Raleigh, N.C.-based Local Market Monitor, a real estate analysis firm which looks at housing costs across the country <LI PMO_ID$="PMO_ID$_41" PMO_CLAS$="element" PMO_$="LI">Chris Porter, a manager with Irvine, Calif.-based John Burns Real Estate Consulting and former director of Professional Builder magazine's Web site <LI PMO_ID$="PMO_ID$_42" PMO_CLAS$="element" PMO_$="LI">Celia Chen, senior director of housing market research at Moody's Economy.com, based in West Chester, Pa.
Bernard Markstein, vice president for economics and director of forecasting, National Association of Home Builders
Prices plunging

Nationally, Fiserv projects an 18.6 percent decline in home prices from the third quarter 2008 to the third quarter 2009, followed by a 1 percent increase from the third quarter of 2009 to the third quarter of 2010. Stiff adds that once prices hit bottom, they will be flat for three to five years, leading to a slow recovery in appreciation.
Chen, whose Moody's Economy.com "Housing in Crisis" study used Fiserv data, expects a 36-percent drop from the peak, in first quarter 2006, to the bottom of the market. Each region will see a bit of variation, she says, adding that some areas have already seen 25 percent drops.
"In 2010, prices will probably travel along the bottom for the first half of the year and start to slowly pick up in the second half of the year," she says.
Chen feels her forecast is optimistic. If the government's foreclosure mitigation plan isn't aggressive enough and doesn't keep foreclosure rates from accelerating, price declines will be more severe than 36 percent nationally, she says.

[URL="javascript:void(0)"]

cowherder
01-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Recessionomics 101: How to Make Extra Money

Jilian Mincer
Monday, January 25, 2010

Doing Good, but Not Always Well (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126429172780434317.html?mod=yahoo_free)
at WSJ.com
<LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 6px">You Want It? Then You Pay for Half of It (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126428206520534287.html?mod=yahoo_free)
at WSJ.com
A 'Career-Life' Crisis (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126429002594334325.html?mod=yahoo_free)
at WSJ.com

This article is part of a series related to being Financially Fit (http://customsites.yahoo.com/financiallyfit/finance/index) Jennifer Winslow wanted to earn some extra cash without giving up the flexibility of working part time.
An avid cook, she and a friend initially planned to cater meals for busy families. When that turned out to be too time consuming, she tried baking. More than five years later, she has a thriving bakery business in Winslow, Maine (her husband's family has been in town a long time).
Now on her own, she supplies four restaurants with cakes and other sweets and makes desserts for individuals and weddings.
A growing number of Americans would like to follow Mrs. Winslow's example. Job loss, tighter credit and a renewed appreciation for savings is persuading more people to cut expenses.
But you can cut only so far. Two full years of recession have not left many unexamined family expenses. Meanwhile, prices -- from gasoline to utilities to food -- haven't fallen. And incomes, if you still have one, aren't exactly shooting through the roof. It's time to make some money.
Fortunately, there also are many ways to earn extra cash even when full-time jobs and extra shifts aren't an option. They include taking in boarders, starting a small business and getting paid for your opinion. Some of this work provides only a free meal and $10 fee but others, such as tutoring or selling Grandma's diamond broach, could be quite lucrative.
The key, according to Gail Cunningham, a spokeswoman for the National Foundation for Credit Counseling, is to "find your skill or what you think would be fun to do." She says, for example, someone with computer skills may want to teach a class, install computers or create Web sites.
"Think about what are people willing to pay for," says Ms. Cunningham. "Who do you know and how can you leverage existing relationships." For example, does your dentist need someone to clean the office or does your accountant need someone to cater the Christmas party?
1. Sell It: One of the fastest and easiest ways to get extra cash is to sell unwanted and unused stuff. And it's never been easier to make hundreds or even thousands of dollars. You could post a few signs in the neighborhood and sell everything at a Saturday garage sale or you could try the online route with services such as eBay or Craigslist.
Linda Lightman first tried eBay more than 10 years ago because she wanted to help her sons get more for their old videogames. It was so easy that the former lawyer started selling her old suits. Then, friends asked her to sell theirs.
Today, shoplindasstuff.com has 50 employees and expects to reach $7 million in sales this year on eBay. "The economy has been the perfect storm for my business," Ms. Lightman says. "More people need cash, and more people are looking for bargains."
Auction houses also are a popular place to sell potentially valuable items. Alexander Eblen, head of the jewelry and fine timepieces department at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers in Chicago, says people often don't realize the value of an old watch or grandmother's Art Deco jewelry. For example, a Tiffany broach recently sold for about $68,000.
Don't overlook some of the more mundane items, such as books and sports equipment. Many bookstores provide cash or store credits for "gently" used books. Similarly, stores like Play It Again Sports provide cash and store credits for gently used sports equipment. Check with local stores but they often need golf clubs, ice skates, lacrosse equipment and other gear.
2. Rent It: Your home, probably your biggest asset, is a potential source of extra cash. A growing number of people are renting out a room or grabbing a roommate for extra income. It's less difficult for residents in "destination" locations near colleges, resorts or cities to rent a room or even the house for a few weeks, months or long term.
Some homeowners prefer using a real-estate agent, others like finding renters themselves, online or through friends. Either way, it's crucial to vet the potential tenant and spell out expectations. Rents vary from a few hundred dollars to thousands in large cities.
Another option that's a longtime favorite of students and young adults is earning extra cash for house and pet sitting.
3. Say It: Many businesses are willing to reward individuals for taking opinion polls, testing products or being a secret shopper. The compensation varies, and it's crucial to avoid scams. Work only with reputable companies and avoid anything that requires a membership fee. One place to start is OpinionPlace.com, which lets poll participants choose Amazon.com gift cards, PayPal credits or American Airlines AAdvantage miles. There also are stores such as CVS, whose Advisor program provides consumers who complete surveys with ExtraBucks coupons.
People won't make much but they might have fun working in a focus group or evaluating products or services as a mystery shopper. Once again, watch out for scams. Don't pay any fees or respond to unsolicited emails. A good place to start is Volition.com or Mysteryshop.org, the Web site for the Mystery Shopping Providers Association.
4. Do It: One of the best ways to earn extra cash is by creating a business using existing skills and interests. An artist may teach a class, a photographer may do weddings and a sports enthusiast may referee or caddy.
"What are you volunteering for that you could get paid for?" asks Ms. Cunningham. She says it could be as simple as getting paid for office work or watching your child's classmate after school.
One of the most popular and lucrative part-time jobs is to tutor, either for a college-prep class or a specific subject. Typical pay ranges from $30 to more than $100 an hour, depending on where you live.
Mrs. Winslow always loved to cook. "People would always ask me if I could bring the dessert if I was going somewhere for dinner," she says.
A master at multitasking, she works about 20 hours a week for Jennifer's Edibles. Her advice: "Start small and do things that are manageable. Don't get so overwhelmed that you want to quit."

http://customsites.yahoo.com/financiallyfit/finance/article-108664-3951-1-how-to-make-extra-money?ywaad=ad0035

rip316
01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
This is how I make extra money. In the spring I pressurewash homes. Sometimes I get a little too busy and need help. I will let you guys know if anyone wants to make extra money. Also, if any of you guys know of anyone or want your homes done let me know. Thanks. Jimmy

lostatsea
01-29-2010, 07:00 PM
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/texas-leads-us-in-high-growth-cities

Texas Leads U.S. in High-Growth Cities

Venessa Wong, BusinessWeek
Jan 29th, 2010

A new survey finds the Lone Star State is leading in terms of growth rate and household income. Atascocita, Tex., is No. 1 in the state

Tired of reading about how rotten the real estate market is? Here's some good news that shows that even during the worst of the recession plenty of American cities, towns, and suburbs continue to grow.
One such place is Atascocita, Tex (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Humble/;_ylt=An3UvrOW88Ny37K.74.nWkvxkdEF). A mostly residential community 20 miles from Houston (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Houston;_ylt=Av29SFc09h3kSV3Tq4jrhj_xkdEF), it gained more than 1,800 households in 2009, an 8% year-over-year increase, according to new data from Little Rock (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Arkansas/Little_Rock;_ylt=Aic87jesZPWgQoJ6vcA30V3xkdEF)-based data firm Gadberry Group. Over the decade, amenities that have helped attract residents to this wooded locale include Lake Houston, just east of the city; the school (http://realestate.yahoo.com/schools;_ylt=AmW8il6fR.VkDByAlKQKUg7xkdEF) district; and proximity to the city of Houston (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Houston/homes-for-sale;_ylt=At4q9.P59uaq8qI_iT4sdQLxkdEF). With new roads in the area under construction, "we're starting to see major industry start to take a look at the area," says Mike Byers, president of the Lake Houston Area Chamber of Commerce.
More from BusinessWeek.com

» America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2010
(http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10/01/0128_americas_fastest_growing_cities/1.htm?campaign_id=yahoo)
» The 50 Most Expensive Small Towns in America 2010 (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10/01/0119_most_expensive_small_towns/index.htm?campaign_id=yahoo)

» Foreclosures in 2009: The Hardest-Hit States (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10/01/0113_2009_foreclosures_by_state/index.htm?campaign_id=yahoo)
Migration levels nationwide stayed low last year as homeowners saddled with pricey mortgages stayed put--but there are some positive trends. Research by the Gadberry Group shows that some areas, resisting the effects of the recession, continue to attract both domestic and foreign migrants and, as an effect, bring in new businesses to provide services. While other cities across the U.S. have contracted, these have continued to grow.
Some states are better off than others, though. As thousands of people left places such as New Orleans (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Louisiana/New_Orleans;_ylt=AmugutAz3KuaYBYtQfP1yrvxkdEF) and Flint, Mich (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Michigan/Flint;_ylt=AuWavHrFCqMIeNQxFOrOR7TxkdEF). (the country's two fastest-shrinking cities), in the last decade, communities with the best mix of economic activity, proximity to job centers, and a good environment for families continued to grow. While not entirely spared by the economic downturn (some homes in these areas are now in foreclosure), people continued to move in during 2009.
Texas Grew the Most

Texas (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/;_ylt=AghlzPsL9A1wwRLYcswGYAbxkdEF) came out on top of Gadberry's survey, with four high-growth cities: Atascocita (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Humble/homes-for-sale;_ylt=ApKf60jK890DccQ3N1Kh._bxkdEF), Katy (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Katy;_ylt=Al_HhLsOuaF3NvTVkViUqUzxkdEF), Mansfield (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Mansfield;_ylt=AgZGHL1x6QX24q6AdI19x0TxkdEF), and Wylie (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Wylie;_ylt=AoXtvTUHaFhlfv6JmIgEjKfxkdEF). The report only included areas larger than 10,000 occupied households that met requirements for growth rate, household income, length of residence, and other factors.
Larry Martin, principal of the Gadberry Group, says many of the places with the biggest housing growth at the beginning of the last decade, such as Nevada (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Nevada;_ylt=AiH0jkysmPQx2sXlVkAT_zzxkdEF), Florida (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Florida/;_ylt=AqG12tRd62DvfYw_jv3PqwTxkdEF), and Arizona (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Arizona;_ylt=AvwFBw5tluw6ecLQCj9a9wrxkdEF), also saw the biggest drop-off since the economy sank. Texas, however, enjoyed relatively strong housing and job markets over the last 10 years, thanks in large part to the presence of major employers in the robust energy business. As of December, the state unemployment rate was 8.3% (lower than the national rate of 10%), according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It also had the largest state population growth between July 2008 and July 2009, according to a December release by the Census Bureau. "New homes are still being built and people are still moving into these homes" in Texas, says Martin.
Part of the state's strength, says Mark Mather, a demographer at the Population Reference Bureau in Washington, D.C. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/District_of_Columbia/Washington;_ylt=ApbwAx9EddXEryTG6EzCZpPxkdEF), is its diversified economy. Main industries include petroleum refining, chemical production, aerospace, and information technology.
Meanwhile, areas that depended on the housing boom are now dealing with high foreclosure rates. Places such as Summerlin South, Nev., which appear in Bloomberg BusinessWeek's slide show of fast-growing cities, gained population but, like the rest of the state, may be dealing with high mortgage default rates.
"If you live by migration, you also die by migration," says Kenneth Johnson, senior demographer at the University of New Hampshire's Carsey Institute. "It doesn't guarantee continued growth."
New Business Opportunities

Migration is typically highest among people in their 20s seeking jobs near large urban cores, but employment opportunities are not the only draw. "Amenities are also important in migrational decisions," says Johnson. Many families consider factors such as schools and recreational amenities like scenic areas and parks.
This is a consideration now in Spring Hill, Tenn. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Tennessee/Spring_Hill/;_ylt=AiLxgIoVfKdGL6YjmcIAbe_xkdEF), which gained 7,645 households since 2000 as many young families moved to the town for affordable housing and work at the General Motors plant, which is now idle. Dustin Dunbar, chairman of the Spring Hill Economic Development Commission, says this has created demand and opportunity for businesses that provide youth activities and entertainment. "We hope to recruit some businesses to cater to our largest demographics," he says.
While migration in 2010 may remain sluggish, "we'll see a continuation of urban sprawl once the economy bounces back," says Mather.
Fastest Growing Cities by State
Arizona: Buckeye (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Arizona/Buckeye/;_ylt=AseSK6Y21WnFyLjBlPOftTLxkdEF)
Number of households: 18,112
Pct. Chg: +10% since 2008 (+261% since 2000)
Average household income: $52,927 (–6% since 2000)

Why: Buckeye (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Arizona/Buckeye/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AlaRVvWW7aHGdHC_GwKtwXjxkdEF) is one of the fastest-growing suburbs in Arizona and has seen a large influx of Asian residents, especially Vietnamese, according to Gadberry. While many new housing units are planned, the price of real estate in Buckeye (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Arizona/Buckeye/neighborhoods;_ylt=AsUM0GF7ktMOK.06TdHANbrxkdEF) has dropped nearly 12% since 2008, according to Trulia, and thousands of properties are in the foreclosure process.
California: Lincoln (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/Lincoln/;_ylt=AgKXGcwpTop27DQ.Tpdek0zxkdEF)
Number of households: 21,997
Pct. Chg: +10% since 2008 (+250% since 2000)
Average household income: $90,608 (+16% since 2000)
Why: Lincoln (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/Lincoln/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Apwl90o_FSc2i9.LQUvtBV_xkdEF), a suburban development 30 miles from Sacramento (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/Sacramento;_ylt=ArHpvxj0vo7prgEuDnDwdZnxkdEF), is the fastest-growing suburb of California and the third fastest-growing town in the U.S. New office buildings, shopping centers, housing developments, and custom home properties have gone up in recent years as a part of the local development plan, according to ZipRealty.
Georgia: Braselton (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Georgia/Braselton/;_ylt=AsuX49UePaD.YY4kfS8bAgjxkdEF)
Number of households: 13,929
Pct. Chg: +8% since 2008 (+118% since 2000)
Average household income: $113,664 (+67% since 2000)
Why: Gadberry Group noted Braselton (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Georgia/Braselton/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AsQh8WLfrjqw741TU5w0fJzxkdEF), a suburb of Atlanta (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Georgia/Atlanta;_ylt=ApgRM8BYGw9Y33GY_LP_w6fxkdEF), as a remarkable high-growth area due to increases not only in population, but also average income and average household net worth ($532,628). Companies operating here such as Sears Logistics, Tractor Supply, Mitsubishi, and Progressive Lighting have helped to generate jobs.

Indiana: Avon (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Indiana/Avon/;_ylt=ArGFLffied7VAWr5wBR3tkvxkdEF)
Number of households: 11,521
Pct. Chg: +8% since 2008 (+73% since 2000)
Average household income: $97,355 (+35% since 2000)
Why: Avon (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Indiana/Avon/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AiojwlDQckDE4uZjcZLGEwPxkdEF) has experienced rapid growth since the 1990s due to its convenient location 10 miles from Indianapolis (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Indiana/Indianapolis;_ylt=Anxj7Rx5vmIV.80oR2NAFzXxkdEF), where health care, social services, and education are the leading industries, according to Simply Hired.
Iowa: Urbandale (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Iowa/Urbandale/;_ylt=Ar5jRjJ5TDidzFVi6qM0LFfxkdEF)
Number of households: 16,402
Pct. Chg: +8% since 2008 (+44% since 2000)
Average household income: $93,655 (+12% since 2000)
Why: Urbandale (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Iowa/Urbandale/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AvF2X8.gEFCyq9jGwQ5_5jLxkdEF), within an hour's drive from Kansas City (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Kansas/Kansas_City;_ylt=AuSyD_DOijuwXW_eUkCGVHHxkdEF) and Minneapolis (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Minnesota/Minneapolis;_ylt=AodFc509hrTHKa8yMGNAl9LxkdEF), has a lower unemployment rate than the national average. The insurance and finance industries are major employers.
North Carolina: Wake Forest
(http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Wake_Forest/;_ylt=Ajp8LevPNHpBTTr2xvV5mnzxkdEF)Number of households: 17,803
Pct. Chg: +8% since 2008 (+118% since 2000)
Average household income: $82,771 (+18% since 2000)
Why: Not far from the Raleigh (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Raleigh;_ylt=ArNe_pmh.UG02k_O0Oc9tNjxkdEF)-Durham (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Durham;_ylt=AoowdkvIJj9O8EVmVyaUIXvxkdEF)-Chapel Hill (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Chapel_Hill;_ylt=AlpDjdPfbri8d_PXhTRma0DxkdEF) Triangle, Wake Forest (http://realestate.yahoo.com/North_Carolina/Wake_Forest/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AmzFIkc6gm1O59EifGqy_bzxkdEF) has attracted residents with excellent quality of life, public schools, and health-care resources. Gadberry also notes the high percentage of children and ethnic diversity here.
South Carolina: Fort Mill (http://realestate.yahoo.com/South_Carolina/Fort_Mill/;_ylt=AsEelRXRGQ3xc9rEm155NuDxkdEF)
Number of households: 10,474
Pct. Chg: +8% since 2008 (+91% since 2000)
Average household income: $72,090(+23% since 2000)
Why: Companies such as Continental Tire and music distributor Muzak are located in Fort Mill (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/South_Carolina/Fort_Mill/homes-for-sale;_ylt=Ah97ub5Uc9bJPsF1zu2bFH3xkdEF), near Rock Hill, S.C. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/South_Carolina/Rock_Hill;_ylt=Al6aGC8HUXKqp..zGFxGD3nxkdEF), and Charlotte, N.C. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/South_Carolina/Charlotte;_ylt=Alqg81wr8XEki1ALBSMDC6HxkdEF) While many financial companies moved into the area during the housing boom, they have mostly pulled out, reported The Wall Street Journal.
Tennessee: Spring Hill
(http://realestate.yahoo.com/Tennessee/Spring_Hill/;_ylt=AjkgbZadVGoU66o7ny6TJ9fxkdEF)Number of households: 11,814
Pct. Chg: +10% since 2008 (+183% since 2000)
Average household income: $92,347 (+44% since 2000)
Why: Spring Hill (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Tennessee/Spring_Hill/homes-for-sale;_ylt=AuOdXlypmj1ucrAaCPDdUA_xkdEF) saw the fourth-largest increase in number of households on Gadberry's list, driven largely by the jobs created by GM's plant, which manufactured Saturn vehicles until 2008, when it started making the GM Traverse.
Texas: Atascocita (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Humble/neighborhoods;_ylt=As3TZSyuWJWDrnHvC5BKd_fxkdEF)
Number of households: 23,917
Pct. Chg: +8% since 2008 (+108% since 2000)
Average household income: $99,272 (+26% since 2000)
Why: Atascocita, 18 miles from Houston (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Houston/neighborhoods;_ylt=AuoaafH9C5LZ2V14jQv0NETxkdEF), boasts golf courses and country clubs. Residents can also boat and fish in nearby Lake Houston, a manmade lake. According to Gadberry, the number of Hispanic households increased by 278% since 2000, making it the largest-growing segment of the population.
Utah: South Jordan
(http://realestate.yahoo.com/Utah/South_Jordan/;_ylt=AuGuvBDEsXIc.NDEdXCsgb3xkdEF)Number of households: 13,622
Pct. Chg: +9% since 2008 (+82% since 2000)
Average household income: $108,300 (+37% since 2000)
Why: Development in this city, 10 miles from Salt Lake City (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Utah/Salt_Lake_City;_ylt=AqqLMwRbH7B0PDlmzROFsZzxkdEF), was fueled by the availability of land and large lots, planned communities, and a charming rural atmosphere. The new Daybreak Community development is expected to attract many more residents.
Click here for the complete list of Fasting Growing Cities (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10/01/0128_americas_fastest_growing_cities/1.htm?campaign_id=yahoo).

buckethead
02-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Do not do this on an interview:

Biggest Interview Blunders

Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com Editor

The interview is the most critical point in the job search process. While you might look great on paper, the real test starts when you get in front of a hiring manager. You've got the skills, now you need to prove that you'll be a good fit with your future co-workers and company. And it's oh-so-easy to sabotage that much-coveted and highly-valuable face time.

According to a recent CareerBuilder.com survey of 866 hiring managers, almost 70 percent recalled unusual behavior by job candidates. While the usual suspects did come up, some of their experiences were downright jaw-dropping. Here are some examples of how not to behave in an interview:

Hugh Hefner Wants His Pants Back
Clothes make the man (or woman) and what you wear has a direct impression on a hiring manager. Comfortable clothes will curb your nervousness, but that doesn't mean you should wear pajama bottoms like one job seeker did. The company dress policy may be casual, but save the Goth clothes and socks with slippers until you get the job. If you're hitting the beach after your interview, it doesn't give you license to wear your bathing suit and flip flops. And seriously guys, the flashy medallion on a bed of chest hair will not impress anyone.

I'm With the Band
Unless you're in need of a seeing eye dog, you shouldn't bring an animal or another person with you to an interview. It seems like common sense. Nevertheless, many a job seeker has brought a companion along on the interview including a child, spouse, friend, pet and even the entire family. An invitation to a job interview never includes a guest.

Have You Tried Hypnosis?
They might be normal to you, but to others, some personal quirks are downright frightening. Those things you do in the privacy of your own home are not meant to come out in front of someone you are trying to impress. During an interview candidates have chewed gum, lit cigarrettes, picked their nails, passed gas, burped, picked their noses, scratched various body parts, laughed erratically and even spit. Make sure to check this behavior at the door.

Intoxicating Ways
Some things are strictly taboo at work, and you should behave in an interview like you would on the job. Alcohol impairs your judgment, as do drugs (not to mention they're against the law). They should be off limits -- but some job seekers don't think so. Job seekers openly admitted drug use and arrived at the interview high, intoxicated or hung over. One thirsty candidate requested whiskey, while another brought his own wine. Another asked if he would get the job even if he didn't pass the drug test. And one candidate simply left the interview after finding out about company drug testing.

Truth is Stranger Than Fiction
And then there are the incidents that are just plain bizarre, perhaps provoked by ambition, a desire to impress, or anxiety. One candidate constructed a shoebox diorama of himself on the job. Another did a Ben Stiller imitation. One job seeker offered a sexual favor to the interviewer. Still another knitted during the entire interview. And another barked at the hiring manager.

Kate Lorenz is the article and advice editor for CareerBuilder.com. She researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues.

cowherder
02-26-2010, 09:42 PM
It doesn't look like the RE industry is going to rise anytime soon.

Duck! Watch Out for Falling Home Prices
Les Christie, CNNMoney.com
Feb 25th, 2010
Where are the best bets for recovery? Tacoma, Wash. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Washington/Tacoma;_ylt=Amd1fOVMHr6CrfqAd2u4wEPxkdEF), tops the rebound list.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Despite signs that the real estate market might be lurching forward, prices are expected to fall further this year and next.
The average home price (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Homevalues;_ylt=ArX3G.gp1zuwXIDbsYERrRnxkdEF) in the United States will fall by about 6% by September 2011, according to a joint report between Fiserv and Moody's Economy.com. And that's after plunging more than 27% in the past three years.
Most of the projected home price decline will occur during the usually slow summer months of 2010. After that, prices should begin to stabilize, according to Fiserv, and stay almost flat through fall of 2011.
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/fi/27/77/02.jpg (http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/25/real_estate/home_price_forecast/index.htm)The main reason for continued decline, according to Mark Zandi, economist and co-founder of Economy.com, is foreclosures (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Foreclosures;_ylt=AraqvNZnmDBT_HMV7oGZGBbxkdEF) -- the same thing that's plagued markets for the past three years.
MORE AT CNNMONEY.COM

Check out the home price forecast in your city (http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/homepricedata/index.html)
See America’s Most Overvalued Cities (http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/27/real_estate/most_overvalued_metro_areas/index.htm?postversion=2010012707)
"Foreclosure sales will pick up this spring as mortgage (http://realestate.yahoo.com/loans;_ylt=Avngs.CU22q61jdRKH8AI1bxkdEF) servicers figure out who can qualify for a modification and who can't," said Zandi.
He figures there are at least 4.5 million mortgage loans either in foreclosure or clearly headed in that direction. When that additional inventory hits the market, it will provide numerous choices for buyers and encourage sellers to drop their listing prices.
The end of two federal programs, which have been propping up markets, will also tamp down prices.
The Federal Reserve has been purchasing mortgage-backed securities since early 2009, scooping up as much as $1.25 trillion worth. That has dampened rate increases by providing a ready market for the securities. But the Fed's program lapses on March 31, when it cedes the playing field to private investors, who will almost surely demand higher rates.
Any resulting rise in rates will cause some buyers to withdraw from the market and others to look for lower priced homes. Either way, demand for homes drops and so do prices.
A month after the Fed bows out of the mortgage-buying market, the homebuyer tax credit will start to expire. To qualify for the $8,000 credit, homebuyers must sign a contract before April 30 and close by June 30. When the first date passes, many buyers are expected to vacate the market, weakening the demand for homes.
In a broader sense, home prices are ultimately decided by employment. "If [the job market] improvement is stronger than expected, prices will get better. If it's weaker than expected, prices will be worse," Zandi said.
Worst of the worst

The worst performing market will be Miami, Fla. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Florida/Miami;_ylt=AnRYsmWnPvA6Bnba8feNtbnxkdEF) Moody's projects prices there to drop a heart-stopping 29.2% by Sept. 30. That follows a 47.7% decline the metro area recorded in the past three years. Grand total: 64% drop.
Other disastrous performances will be turned in by the Hanford, Calif. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/Hanford;_ylt=AqTCaHFdgeZTK2984LgF6LrxkdEF), metro area, where prices are projected to plummet 27.2% through Sept. 30, 2010 following their 36.9% drop for the previous 36 months. Ft. Lauderdale (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Florida/Fort_Lauderdale;_ylt=AojVoY7kR1qkXJ9e9w.XNMfxkdEF) and West Palm (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Florida/West_Palm_Beach;_ylt=Ai6T8eu6ENM.jJznccYuYbvxkdEF) will also register steep drops.
There's some good price news coming out of California's Central Valley for a change; prices will begin to emerge from their free fall toward the end of this year.
In Merced (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/Merced;_ylt=An1gvcEaTK.1Txpn4VmZKQXxkdEF), for example, which crashed and burned by 71.8% in the past three years (through last September), they'll only fall only another 6.2% in the next six months before bouncing back with a rise of 10.1% by Sept. 30, 2011. To top of page

BassBuddah
03-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Hope for mortgage holders

From yahoo.com

Alan Zibel and Stevenson Jacobs, Associated Press Writers, On Friday March 26, 2010, 6:27 pm EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government's bold new plan to stem the foreclosure crisis aims to succeed where previous efforts have fallen flat. Yet just as before, the odds are long, and many struggling borrowers won't qualify.

In theory, the effort unveiled Friday would help millions of troubled homeowners who owe more on their mortgages than their homes are worth, or who are jobless and need a break on their payments.

But it depends on cooperation from investors and bankers, many of whom have been locked in disputes over whether to reduce the debt owed by homeowners.

And just like the bank bailouts, this rescue plan poses risks. If it doesn't slow the wave of foreclosures or if home prices nosedive, the tentative recovery in the housing market could fizzle.
The Obama administration says the plan will help stabilize the real estate market by keeping many borrowers out of foreclosure. If it succeeds, the plan would limit damage to the overall economy.
The new effort is designed to help two groups:

-- Borrowers who owe more on their loans than their houses are worth. More than 15 million homeowners fall into this category, according to Moody's Analytics. About 10 million of them owe at least 20 percent more than their house's current value.

Their mortgage companies can cut the total amount they owe, or they can refinance into loans backed by the

dogfish
04-28-2010, 04:27 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109319/the-best-places-for-business-and-careers?mod=career-worklife_balance

The Best Places for Business and Careers

by Kurt Badenhausen
Saturday, April 24, 2010provided byhttp://l.yimg.com/a/i/cz/legacy/forbes_170x33_logo.gif (http://www.forbes.com/)
Cities like Des Moines, Iowa; Provo, Utah; and Fort Collins, Colo.; lead our 12th annual list of areas with the most economic opportunity.
The Great Recession ravaged almost every big city across the United States in 2009. Home prices were down in 182 of the 200 largest metro areas, while household incomes fell in 94% of these areas. The employment picture was even tougher: only four areas posted positive job growth with a paltry gain of just 4,300 positions created--combined. The other 196 metros together lost 3.5 million jobs last year.
See full list below (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109319/the-best-places-for-business-and-careers?mod=career-worklife_balance#top30)

More from Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/):

• Slideshow: The Best Places for Business and Careers (http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/13/best-places-for-business-beltway-business-places-10-main_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)[/URL]

• Best Small Places for Business and Careers (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/real_estate/1004/gallery.commercial_real_estate/7.html)

• 10 Reality Stars Turned Entrepreneurs (http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/13/reality-tv-celebrity-fame-forbes-woman-entrepreneurs-business_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)
The worst may be over, but businesses on both coasts still face outrageous costs and indebted state governments with budget shortfalls that will have to be filled from the flesh of local firms. Those problems won't be resolved anytime soon.
What to do? Our 12th annual ranking of the Best Places for Business and Careers has an answer: Move to Middle America.
The top of this year's list is filled with cities in so-called flyover states, areas with reasonable business costs, strong economic outlooks and a solid quality of life.
Leading the way is Des Moines, Iowa, which grabbed our top spot after ranking seventh last year. Iowa's capital has 562,000 people in the metro area and features business costs 15% below the national average (living costs are 10% below the national average). It has an educated labor supply as 33% of adults have college degrees (ranking 46th among the 200 largest metros) and 92% possess high school diplomas (ranks 19th).

"Des Moines' favorable regulatory environment and well-educated workforce makes it an attractive destination for high-value-added, well-paying industries," says Sunayana Mehra, an economist at Moody's Economy.com. The financial industry has set up shop in Des Moines, with Wells Fargo (NASDAQ: [URL="http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=WFC"]WFC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/36017324/?__source=yahoo&par=yahoo) - News (http://finance.yahoo.com/h?s=WFC)) and Principal Financial being the largest employers in the area with 19,000 employees between them. Other big employers include insurers Nationwide Insurance and Marsh & McLennan.
The economic outlook is bright in Des Moines as well. Employment is expected to increase at a 2.7% annual clip over the next three years, 10th best in the country. Meanwhile, household incomes are projected to rise 2.9%, which ranks 11th.
Des Moines city manager Richard Clark points to the area's quality of life as a big draw for corporations. Housing is affordable with a median home price of just $149,000, one-quarter the price of a home in the San Francisco area. Commute times, according to the Census Bureau, average 19.8 minutes, one of the fastest in the U.S.
Getting outside is easy, too. Des Moines designed a system of more than 300 miles of trails in and around the city for running, walking, biking or in-line skating. A 4.4-acre public park and sculpture garden opened downtown in September. Local venture capitalist John Pappajohn and his wife Mary donated $40 million of sculptures to the project from their personal collection. The park is surrounded by the offices of Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, Nationwide and ING (NASDAQ: ING (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ING) - News (http://finance.yahoo.com/h?s=ING)).
Our ranking of Best Places looks at the 200 largest metropolitan statistical areas in the U.S., which range in size from the New York City metro, with 11.7 million people, to Merced, Calif., home to 245,000. We ranked areas on 12 metrics including costs (business and living), job growth (past and projected), income growth, educational attainment and projected economic growth.
We also factored in quality-of-life issues like crime, cultural and recreational opportunities as well as net migration patters. Lastly we examined the percentage of subprime mortgages handed out over a three-year stretch and the number of highly ranked four-year colleges in the area, per our annual college rankings.
Most of the figures used were provided by research firm Moody's Economy.com. Data for crime (FBI) and educational attainment (Census) came straight from the government. Demographer Bert Sperling created a culture and leisure index for Forbes.
Last year's winner, Raleigh, N.C., dropped to third this year. The long-term outlook in Raleigh is still strong, but 2009 was rough. Incomes fell 5.9% and unemployment averaged 8.6% for the year, compared with 4.9% in 2008. "The recession has hit the area hard, with the restructuring in the pharmaceutical industry and with dry credit markets greatly reducing access to financing for startup firms," says Economy.com economist Jimmy Jean. Six North Carolina metros ranked in the top 20 last year, but this year only Raleigh and Charlotte made the cut.
Looking at California metros shows both the good and the bad the state has to offer. California cities Modesto, Vallejo and Merced occupy the bottom three spots in our rankings. All three areas have seen net migrations out of the cities over the past five years and were hit hard by the housing crisis. Each metro has a significant number of subprime mortgages on the books.
The top Golden State locales were San Francisco (ranked 38th) and San Jose (ranked 48th). Economy.com figures that San Fran and San Jose are the two most expensive cities in the country in terms of living costs. Business costs for both are also in the top five. Yet the Bay Area and Silicon Valley are able to overcome these onerous costs thanks to a strong university presence and an abundance of cultural and recreational opportunities that attract a highly educated labor supply. The economies of both areas are expected to be among the 10 most vibrant over the next three years with annual gross metro product growth of 5.8% in San Jose and 5.7% in San Francisco.
The Best Places for Business and Careers
Our 12th annual ranking of the Best Places for Business and Careers looks at the 200 largest metro areas, which range in size from the New York City metro with 11.7 million people to Merced, Calif., which is home to 245,000. We ranked areas on 12 metrics including costs (business and living), job growth (past and projected), income growth, educational attainment and projected economic growth. We also factored in quality of life issues like crime, cultural and recreational opportunities as well as net migration patters. Lastly we examined the percentage of subprime mortgages handed out over a three-year stretch and the number of highly ranked four-year colleges in the area.

1. Des Moines, IA

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271265449.jpg
iStockphoto

Metro Area Population: 563,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank*: 49
Economic Growth Projected Rank**: 53
Educational Attainment Rank***: 46
Income Growth Rank****: 54
Job Growth Projected Rank**: 29
Net Migration Rank****: 45

2. Provo, UT

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271267551.jpg
Tom Berens

Metro Area Population: 556,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 20
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 21
Educational Attainment Rank: 38
Income Growth Rank: 1
Job Growth Projected Rank: 10
Net Migration Rank: 39

3. Raleigh, NC

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271267836.jpg
Don Klumpp/Getty Images

Metro Area Population: 1,126,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 22
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 24
Educational Attainment Rank: 12
Income Growth Rank: 179
Job Growth Projected Rank: 5
Net Migration Rank: 3

4. Fort Collins, CO

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271267929.jpg
Shutterstock

Metro Area Population: 298,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 34
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 37
Educational Attainment Rank: 11
Income Growth Rank: 42
Job Growth Projected Rank: 51
Net Migration Rank: 37

5. Lincoln, NE

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271270219.jpg
iStockphoto

Metro Area Population: 298,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 14
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 95
Educational Attainment Rank: 30
Income Growth Rank: 36
Job Growth Projected Rank: 60
Net Migration Rank: 97

6. Denver, CO

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271270553.jpg
Getty Images

Metro Area Population: 2,552,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 113
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 85
Educational Attainment Rank: 22
Income Growth Rank: 62
Job Growth Projected Rank: 64
Net Migration Rank: 54

7. Omaha, NE

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271270800.jpg
Shutterstock

Metro Area Population: 850,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 48
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 128
Educational Attainment Rank: 56
Income Growth Rank: 46
Job Growth Projected Rank: 54
Net Migration Rank: 104

8. Huntsville, AL

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271270974.jpg
AP Photo

Metro Area Population: 406,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 112
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 3
Educational Attainment Rank: 37
Income Growth Rank: 72
Job Growth Projected Rank: 18
Net Migration Rank: 16

9. Lexington, KY

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271271171.jpg
iStockphoto

Metro Area Population: 471,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 25
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 139
Educational Attainment Rank: 39
Income Growth Rank: 110
Job Growth Projected Rank: 93
Net Migration Rank: 59

10. Austin, TX

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1271271276.jpg
Walter Bibikow/Getty Images

Metro Area Population: 1,705,000
Cost of Doing Business Rank Rank: 160
Economic Growth Projected Rank: 2
Educational Attainment Rank: 19
Income Growth Rank: 100
Job Growth Projected Rank: 2
Net Migration Rank: 6

ledhead36
04-29-2010, 07:58 PM
I recently read an article that said only 7% of people gets jobs from submitting applications to the internet. Going door to door like the good ole days shows 47% of the people find employment.

storminsteve
04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I recently read an article that said only 7% of people gets jobs from submitting applications to the internet. Going door to door like the good ole days shows 47% of the people find employment.

I would believe that, or at least the first part.

storminsteve
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
In these cities, the housing crisis is expected to worsen.
Since the late 1970s casino-rich Atlantic City, N.J., has been a beachfront escape for poker aficionados and Keno-loving retirees from Philadelphia, Northern New Jersey and New York.

• List: Tomorrow's Real Estate Trouble Spots
(http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/27/housing-bust-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-foreclosure-homes-prices_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)
• 10 Tips for First-Time Home Buyers (http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/25/tips-first-time-homebuyer-personal-finance-mortgage_slide.html?partner=yahoo)
• Best Cities to Quit Renting and Buy a Home (http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/09/buy-or-rent-personal-finance-spring-housing_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)

Today, buying a home in Atlantic City is a gamble. Of 315 cities measured by Local Market Monitor, a Cary, N.C.-based real estate research firm, the Atlantic City metro is expected to experience the largest drop in home value over the next 12 months. A pocket of Northwestern cities where restrictions on building have artificially inflated prices, and smaller metros whose housing markets have benefited from internal migration, join Atlantic City on our list of real estate trouble spots.
Like cities in California, Florida, Nevada and Arizona, Atlantic City saw a dramatic run-up in prices during the housing boom due, in part, to speculative purchases of second homes; Atlantic County includes popular beachfront spots such as Margate. But while those bubble markets have already burst, Atlantic City still has significant price depreciation ahead; Local Market Monitor predicts the metro's median home price will fall 9% in the next year.
Popular Stories on Yahoo!:

• Best Cities for Economic Opportunity (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109319/the-best-places-for-business-and-careers?mod=career-worklife_balance)
(http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/109294/how-to-fight-the-irs)
• Who Really Saves on Prepaid Phone Plans? (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109402/should-you-switch-to-prepaid-phone-service)

• Best Looks to Land the Job You Want (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/5-best-looks-to-land-the-job-1282158)
More from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/)
"We have not seen the bottom in that market," says Jeffrey Otteau, president of East Brunswick, New Jersey-based Otteau Valuation Group, who says the city is still saddled with 12 months of unsold housing inventory.
As the effects of the recession sink in, the market for second homes in the metro has all but dried up, delaying a local recovery. What's more, tumbling revenues for the gambling industry have cost casino workers jobs, damaging the area's employment base.
Behind the Numbers
To put together our list of housing markets expected to drop, Local Market Monitor measured 315 Metropolitan Statistical Areas and selected the ones where it anticipated average home prices would fall most in the next 12 months. It then narrowed the list to cities where actual average home prices were at least 10% above their equilibrium price--that's where home prices should be based on economic fundamentals, and the price to which they will likely return. LMM calculates its equilibrium price and home value forecast based on trends in local jobs and income as well as the historic movement of home prices. Forbes relied on Local Market Monitor to rank each metro.
Cities in the Pacific Northwest appear on our list, in part, because some of the strictest land planning policies in the country have curbed sprawl and propped prices.
"It's very hard to overbuild in this region, because of urban growth boundaries and a fairly limited supply of developable property," says Randall Pozdena, managing director of ECONorthwest, a Eugene, Ore.-based consultancy. "Wages are 20 to 30% below what wages in the Bay Area are, but home prices are relatively high. We've created an artificial scarcity situation."
In Portland, Ore., homes are overvalued by 31%; in Bellingham, Wash., housing is 22% overpriced and in Eugene, Ore. homes are 21% more than they should be. Local Market Monitor expects prices in Portland to fall 9% in the next year; Eugene prices to drop by 8%; and Bellingham to see a 9% fall.
Smaller metros like Glens Falls, N.Y., Flagstaff, Ariz., and Salisbury, Md., all of which have a population under 200,000, are expected to see home prices drop 11%, 13% and 8%, respectively in the next year. In these places, small shifts in the local economy can cause big ripples.
"If you have one or two large employers in a smaller metro, they will have a greater impact on the jobs and income situation," says Carolyn Beggs, Local Market Monitor COO. "In larger metros there are more employers, so each employer won't have as great an effect."
All but two of the cities on our list saw above-average rates of population growth in the first half of the last decade. Some, like Provo, Utah, and Portland, Ore., saw their head counts rise by double-digit numbers (22% and 18%, respectively). Because in-migration typically boosts demand for housing, the national recession is due to take a particular toll on them.
"During a recession internal migration within the U.S. drops sharply," says Ingo Wizner, president of Local Market Monitor, noting that relocating becomes less financially feasible in hard times."Home prices in these markets are likely to fall for several years, but will then recover as above-average population growth resumes." Both Provo, a college town, and trendy Portland have sustaining appeal to young movers, which will likely pick up along with economic recovery.
Pozdena's outlook about Portland and other Pacific Northwest cities is more measured. While he predicts a short-term softening in prices in Portland, Bellingham and Eugene, he believes that limits to growth and continued in-migration will keep demand high.
"I do think we've been buoyed by some unusual forces," he says. "But I see most of those continuing, rather than reversing."
List: Tomorrow's Real Estate Trouble Spots
While metros like Miami, Las Vegas and Los Angeles have gained notoriety for plummeting home prices, it's not those markets that have the most to worry about now. These new housing trouble spots, most of which saw home prices peak after the national average, are set to see major price corrections in the next year. To identify them, Local Market Monitor, a Cary, N.C.-based real estate research firm found the Metropolitan Statistical Areas where it forecast the biggest average-home-price drops in the next 12 months, and where the actual average home price was 10% or more above what it would be without market volatility. Forbes relied on Local Market Monitor to rank each metro.
1. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Atlantic City-Hammonton, N.J.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272476941.jpg
Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images

Equilibrium Home Price: $159,117.00
Overpriced: 54%
12-month Price Forecast: -9%
*Forbes relied on Local Market Monitor to rank each metro.

2. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Provo-Orem, Utah

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477062.jpg
AP/George Frey

Equilibrium Home Price: $136,247.00
Overpriced: 44%
12-month Price Forecast:-12%

3. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, Ore.-Wash.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477388.jpg
Shutterstock

Equilibrium Home Price: $189,818.00
Overpriced: 31%

4. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Glens Falls, N.Y.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477539.jpg
AP/Mike Groll

Equilibrium Home Price: $177,003.00
Overpriced: 22%
12-month Price Forecast: -11%

5. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Bellingham, Wash.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477656.jpg
Cynthia Smith/iStock

Equilibrium Home Price: $230,024.00

Click here to see the full list of Tomorrow's Real Estate Trouble Spots (http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/27/housing-bust-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-foreclosure-homes-prices_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)

http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AtMfmul8WccAwalUuU_MiqYiBa1_;_ylu=X3oDMTBzdTB raWc4BHBvcwMxBHNlYwNhcnRpY2xlBHNsawNmb3JiZXM-/SIG=10re7fb8t/**http%3A//www.forbes.com/

In these cities, the housing crisis is expected to worsen.
Since the late 1970s casino-rich Atlantic City, N.J., has been a beachfront escape for poker aficionados and Keno-loving retirees from Philadelphia, Northern New Jersey and New York.

• List: Tomorrow's Real Estate Trouble Spots
(http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/27/housing-bust-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-foreclosure-homes-prices_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)
• 10 Tips for First-Time Home Buyers (http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/25/tips-first-time-homebuyer-personal-finance-mortgage_slide.html?partner=yahoo)
• Best Cities to Quit Renting and Buy a Home (http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/09/buy-or-rent-personal-finance-spring-housing_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)

Today, buying a home in Atlantic City is a gamble. Of 315 cities measured by Local Market Monitor, a Cary, N.C.-based real estate research firm, the Atlantic City metro is expected to experience the largest drop in home value over the next 12 months. A pocket of Northwestern cities where restrictions on building have artificially inflated prices, and smaller metros whose housing markets have benefited from internal migration, join Atlantic City on our list of real estate trouble spots.
Like cities in California, Florida, Nevada and Arizona, Atlantic City saw a dramatic run-up in prices during the housing boom due, in part, to speculative purchases of second homes; Atlantic County includes popular beachfront spots such as Margate. But while those bubble markets have already burst, Atlantic City still has significant price depreciation ahead; Local Market Monitor predicts the metro's median home price will fall 9% in the next year.
Popular Stories on Yahoo!:

• Best Cities for Economic Opportunity (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109319/the-best-places-for-business-and-careers?mod=career-worklife_balance)
(http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/109294/how-to-fight-the-irs)
• Who Really Saves on Prepaid Phone Plans? (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109402/should-you-switch-to-prepaid-phone-service)

• Best Looks to Land the Job You Want (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/5-best-looks-to-land-the-job-1282158)
More from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/)
"We have not seen the bottom in that market," says Jeffrey Otteau, president of East Brunswick, New Jersey-based Otteau Valuation Group, who says the city is still saddled with 12 months of unsold housing inventory.
As the effects of the recession sink in, the market for second homes in the metro has all but dried up, delaying a local recovery. What's more, tumbling revenues for the gambling industry have cost casino workers jobs, damaging the area's employment base.
Behind the Numbers
To put together our list of housing markets expected to drop, Local Market Monitor measured 315 Metropolitan Statistical Areas and selected the ones where it anticipated average home prices would fall most in the next 12 months. It then narrowed the list to cities where actual average home prices were at least 10% above their equilibrium price--that's where home prices should be based on economic fundamentals, and the price to which they will likely return. LMM calculates its equilibrium price and home value forecast based on trends in local jobs and income as well as the historic movement of home prices. Forbes relied on Local Market Monitor to rank each metro.
Cities in the Pacific Northwest appear on our list, in part, because some of the strictest land planning policies in the country have curbed sprawl and propped prices.
"It's very hard to overbuild in this region, because of urban growth boundaries and a fairly limited supply of developable property," says Randall Pozdena, managing director of ECONorthwest, a Eugene, Ore.-based consultancy. "Wages are 20 to 30% below what wages in the Bay Area are, but home prices are relatively high. We've created an artificial scarcity situation."
In Portland, Ore., homes are overvalued by 31%; in Bellingham, Wash., housing is 22% overpriced and in Eugene, Ore. homes are 21% more than they should be. Local Market Monitor expects prices in Portland to fall 9% in the next year; Eugene prices to drop by 8%; and Bellingham to see a 9% fall.
Smaller metros like Glens Falls, N.Y., Flagstaff, Ariz., and Salisbury, Md., all of which have a population under 200,000, are expected to see home prices drop 11%, 13% and 8%, respectively in the next year. In these places, small shifts in the local economy can cause big ripples.
"If you have one or two large employers in a smaller metro, they will have a greater impact on the jobs and income situation," says Carolyn Beggs, Local Market Monitor COO. "In larger metros there are more employers, so each employer won't have as great an effect."
All but two of the cities on our list saw above-average rates of population growth in the first half of the last decade. Some, like Provo, Utah, and Portland, Ore., saw their head counts rise by double-digit numbers (22% and 18%, respectively). Because in-migration typically boosts demand for housing, the national recession is due to take a particular toll on them.
"During a recession internal migration within the U.S. drops sharply," says Ingo Wizner, president of Local Market Monitor, noting that relocating becomes less financially feasible in hard times."Home prices in these markets are likely to fall for several years, but will then recover as above-average population growth resumes." Both Provo, a college town, and trendy Portland have sustaining appeal to young movers, which will likely pick up along with economic recovery.
Pozdena's outlook about Portland and other Pacific Northwest cities is more measured. While he predicts a short-term softening in prices in Portland, Bellingham and Eugene, he believes that limits to growth and continued in-migration will keep demand high.
"I do think we've been buoyed by some unusual forces," he says. "But I see most of those continuing, rather than reversing."
List: Tomorrow's Real Estate Trouble Spots
While metros like Miami, Las Vegas and Los Angeles have gained notoriety for plummeting home prices, it's not those markets that have the most to worry about now. These new housing trouble spots, most of which saw home prices peak after the national average, are set to see major price corrections in the next year. To identify them, Local Market Monitor, a Cary, N.C.-based real estate research firm found the Metropolitan Statistical Areas where it forecast the biggest average-home-price drops in the next 12 months, and where the actual average home price was 10% or more above what it would be without market volatility. Forbes relied on Local Market Monitor to rank each metro.
1. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Atlantic City-Hammonton, N.J.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272476941.jpg
Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images

Equilibrium Home Price: $159,117.00
Overpriced: 54%

2. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Provo-Orem, Utah

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477062.jpg
AP/George Frey

Equilibrium Home Price: $136,247.00
Overpriced: 44%
12-month Price Forecast:-12%

3. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, Ore.-Wash.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477388.jpg
Shutterstock

Equilibrium Home Price: $189,818.00
Overpriced: 31%

4. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Glens Falls, N.Y.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477539.jpg
AP/Mike Groll

Equilibrium Home Price: $177,003.00
12-month Price Forecast: -11%

5. Metropolitan Statistical Area: Bellingham, Wash.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/04/ipt/1272477656.jpg
Cynthia Smith/iStock

Equilibrium Home Price: $230,024.00

Click here to see the full list of Tomorrow's Real Estate Trouble Spots (http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/27/housing-bust-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-foreclosure-homes-prices_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo)

bababooey
07-08-2010, 09:07 PM
If anyone is thinking of moving, here are some great cities to move to.

America's most recession-proof cities

By Hibah Yousuf, staff reporter, CNNMoney.com
Jun 24, 2010

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The "Keep Austin (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Austin) Weird" campaign must have worked, because the Texas capital (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Austin) is among the country's oddball cities that bucked the downturn.
In fact, Texas (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas) cities starred on the new list of recession-proof metro areas, with six of 21 spots, according to MetroMonitor, a quarterly report released by Brookings Institute's Metropolitan Policy Program.
These 21 large metro areas were singled out by Brookings for keeping their labor and housing markets stable and posting robust economic activity during the past few years.
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/re/gr/hotdog_recession.jpg (http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/22/news/economy/recession_proof_cities/index.htm)In fact, all but five of the 21 leading cities have economic output levels that top records set just prior to the recession.
"Most of these cities have some general characteristics in common," said Howard Weil, author of the report and a fellow at the Metropolitan Policy Program. "They didn't experience huge housing bubbles followed by a crash, and their economies weren't rooted in the auto industry."
MORE AT CNNMONEY.COM [/URL]

[URL="http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/22/real_estate/fastest_growing_metro_areas/index.htm"]Dallas: Fastest growing U.S. city
(http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/jobs/index.html)
Got a million? Buy a house in Disney World (http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/23/real_estate/disney_homes/index.htm)
200,000 could lose out on homebuyer tax credit (http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/24/real_estate/missing_homebuyer_tax_credit/index.htm)
Weil added that a number of cities are also government centers, like Austin (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Austin), where job cuts have been limited and spending remains healthy.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/re/gr/chart_metro_areas.gif

Gross metropolitan product, a broad measure economic activity, has surged the most in the nation's capital. In first quarter of 2010, the economy in Washington D.C. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/District_of_Columbia/Washington) expanded by 6.3% from its pre-recession peak. Austin also touts considerable growth at 5.3%.
"We've seen a significant increase in government spending since the start of the recession, and even though it has been spread throughout other parts of the country, some of that extra spending stays in the D.C. metro area (http://realestate.yahoo.com/District_of_Columbia/Washington)," Weil said. "But if government hawks succeed in cutting spending, we could see the growth in Washington (http://realestate.yahoo.com/District_of_Columbia/Washington) slow down."
Meanwhile, as unemployment rates climbed higher in every major city across the nation during the recession, the jobless rate in Austin only rose to 7.1% in March 2010 from 3.5% three years earlier. During the same period, the U.S. unemployment rate spiked to 9.7% from 4.4%.
"We have a stable base of employment with the University of Texas, one of the largest universities in the country, and the second largest state government with 65,000 employees," said Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell

stripermania
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't think the economy is recovering. This week alone there have been 15 people come in to fill out applications for jobs they don't have.

The suggestions in this thread can be very useful. If you out of a job review them, it might just help you.

bababooey
01-11-2011, 04:31 PM
In case anyone feels like moving to Omaha -:kooky:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/the-most-affordable-cities-in-america.html

The Most Affordable Cities in America

By Morgan Brennan, Forbes.com
Jan 7, 2011

Provided by:
http://l.yimg.com/d/lib/yre/mycs/d/img/3.14.5/forbes_new_120x40_logo-201010101057.gif

Billionaire Warren Buffett has made Omaha, Neb (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Nebraska/Omaha/homes-for-sale)., synonymous with savvy stock investing, but the city is also highly attractive for those seeking an affordable lifestyle. In fact, the Midwestern metro ranks No. 1 on our Best Bargain Cities list.
What do we mean by a bargain? The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as an "advantageous deal." On that score Omaha qualifies, thanks to a list-leading combination of affordable real estate and a healthy ratio of income to living costs.
To compile our bargain city list, we started with the 50 largest U.S. Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) and then compiled a mix of data aimed at handicapping the overall affordability of living in each.
In Pictures: America's Most Affordable Cities (http://www.forbes.com/2011/01/06/bargain-cities-affordable-real-estate-personal-finance_slide.html?partner=yahoore)We looked at the current median asking price of homes on the market in each city, using data from Altos Research, a San Francisco (http://realestate.yahoo.com/California/San_Francisco/homes-for-sale)-based real estate research firm. We got the median salaries of workers with bachelor's degrees or higher from PayScale.com and compared it to a cost-of-living index from Moody's Economy.com (the cost-of-living index factors in transportation, insurance, food, utilities and other factors). Finally, we factored in the latest unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics to reflect the relative strength of local economies.

The result is a list of the top 15 urban affordability hot spots.
Omaha Stakes
As the home of major corporations like Union Pacific, ConAgra Foods and Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, Omaha boasts inexpensive real estate, a low cost of living and an unemployment rate little more than half the national average.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/re/gr/1_most-affordable-cities-omaha-ne_300x200.jpg No. 1 Omaha, Neb.
Omaha's job market will actually grow by 1.6% in 2011, according to Moody's Economy. In fact, the Nebraskan hub will be a "city that thrives in 2011," adds online real estate database Trulia.com.
"Its home prices have stayed steady through the recession, owing to the fact that they never saw the inflation of the bubble era," explains Tara-Nicholle Nelson, consumer educator for Trulia.com. "In Omaha, it seems to be steady as she goes."
The Midwest dominated our bargain city list. Other heartland metropolises offering good deals include Indianapolis, Ind (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Indiana/Indianapolis/homes-for-sale). (No.4); Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn. (No. 7); Oklahoma (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Oklahoma/Oklahoma_City/homes-for-sale)'s namesake city (No. 9) and Tulsa (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Oklahoma/Tulsa/homes-for-sale) (No. 15); and Ohio's (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Ohio) three largest metros, Cincinnati (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Ohio/Cincinnati/homes-for-sale) (No. 5), Cleveland (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Ohio/Cleveland/homes-for-sale) (No.8) and Columbus (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Ohio/Columbus/homes-for-sale) (No. 13).

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/re/gr/2_most-affordable-cities-buffalo-ny_300x200.jpgNo. 2 Buffalo, N.Y.
Indianapolis, Kansas City (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Missouri/Kansas_City/homes-for-sale) and Ohio's three enclaves have real estate deals available at low price points. Although Oklahoma City and Tulsa offer some of the lowest median salaries among the 50 MSAs ranked, their home costs are also near the bottom, making both cities highly affordable.
At $249,000, the current median asking price for homes in Minneapolis-St. Paul (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Minnesota/Minneapolis/homes-for-sale) remains higher than those of its neighbors on our list. The Twin Cities make up for it in quality of life, touting low unemployment rates and a healthy cost of living vs. salary.
"Minneapolis-St. Paul has very strong institutions of medical research and higher education, a highly educated population and a desirable amenity base," says Stuart Gabriel, director of the Ziman Center for real estate at the University of California Los Angeles (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/California/Los_Angeles/homes-for-sale).
"Minneapolis has weathered the downturn better than most places and its prospects continue to look relatively bright," says Gabriel, who has researched the quality of life as it relates to real estate economics.
Motor City ... Rocks?
Surprising but true, Detroit (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Michigan/Detroit/homes-for-sale), the Michigan (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Michigan) metro known best for cars, crime and urban decay, took third place on our list.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/re/gr/3_most-affordable-cities-detroit-mi_300x200.jpgNo. 3 Detroit, Mich.
Detroit is a rough place with a staggering 13.3% unemployment rate and a high per capita crime rate, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation data. Its foreclosure (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Foreclosures) rate is among the 10 highest in the U.S. There were 45,000 Real Estate Owned (REO) residences in the Motor City as of last November, according to online foreclosure site RealtyTrac.
That said, if you have a college degree under your belt and a steady job to show up to, your money gets great mileage in Detroit. The median salary for degree-toting workers is $60,600 (15th out of the 50 cities) while the cost of living remains super cheap (second out of 50).
With a median asking price of $132,635, Detroit homes are dirt-cheap. Gabriel warns that "the low house prices in Detroit are no accident. They're a reflection of depressed land values, depressed amenities, depressed employment."
In other words, don't expect this overall housing market's value to rise anytime soon. Some experts believe it may even depreciate further in 2011. Detroit is a deal only for stably employed residents looking to buy a long-term home.

Couple that with a blossoming arts community and the tentative hope that Detroit's auto industry is resurrecting itself, and this city is a haven for pioneering bargain-hunters.
Other metros ripe for a homemade deal? The Northeast blue-collar hubs of Buffalo, N.Y. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/New_York/Buffalo/homes-for-sale) (No. 2) and Pittsburgh, Pa (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh/homes-for-sale)., (No. 6); southern belle, Raleigh, N.C. (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/North_Carolina/Raleigh/homes-for-sale), (No. 11); and two Lone Star cities, Houston (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Texas/Houston/homes-for-sale) (No. 10) and Dallas (http://realestate.yahoo.com/search/Texas/Dallas/homes-for-sale) (No. 14).

rip316
01-11-2011, 05:01 PM
By looking at the top pic, at least if you moved there you could still fish the dirty water.

captnemo
09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
This can't be good.

Alex Veiga, AP Real Estate Writer, On Thursday September 15, 2011, 12:29 am EDT
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Banks have stepped up their actions against homeowners who have fallen behind on their mortgage payments, setting the stage for a fresh wave of foreclosures.

The number of U.S. homes that received an initial default notice -- the first step in the foreclosure process -- jumped 33 percent in August from July, foreclosure listing firm RealtyTrac Inc. said Thursday.

The increase represents a nine-month high and the biggest monthly gain in four years. The spike signals banks are starting to take swifter action against homeowners, nearly a year after processing issues led to a sharp slowdown in foreclosures.

"This is really the first time we've seen a significant increase in the number of new foreclosure actions," said Rick Sharga, a senior vice president at RealtyTrac. "It's still possible this is a blip, but I think it's much more likely we're seeing the beginning of a trend here."

Foreclosure activity began to slow last fall after problems surfaced with the way many lenders were handling foreclosure paperwork, namely shoddy mortgage paperwork comprising several shortcuts known collectively as robo-signing.
Many of the nation's largest banks reacted by temporarily ceasing all foreclosures, re-filing previously filed foreclosure cases and revisiting pending cases to prevent errors.

Other factors have also worked to stall the pace of new foreclosures this year. The process has been held up by court delays in states where judges play a role in the foreclosure process, a possible settlement of government probes into the industry's mortgage-lending practices, and lenders' reluctance to take back properties amid slowing home sales.

A pickup in foreclosure activity also means a potentially faster turnaround for the U.S. housing market. Experts say a revival isn't likely to occur as long as there remains a glut of potential foreclosures hovering over the market.

Foreclosures weigh down home values and create uncertainty among would-be homebuyers who fret over prospects that prices may further decline as more foreclosures hit the market. There are about 3.7 million more homes in some stage of foreclosure now than there would be in a normal housing market, according to Citi analyst Josh Levin.

"This bloated foreclosure pipeline now presents the greatest obstacle to a housing market recovery," Levin said in a client note this week.
Banks have been working through a backlog of properties that first entered the foreclosure process months, if not years ago. But the August increase in homes entering that process sets the stage for a host of new properties being targeted for foreclosure.

That's bad news for homeowners who may have grown accustomed to missing payments for several months without the threat of foreclosure bearing down on them. In states such as New York and Florida, for instance, processing delays have helped some homeowners stay in their homes for more than two years before banks got around to taking back their properties.

In all, 78,880 properties received a default notice in August. Despite the sharp increase from July, last month's total was still down 18 percent versus August last year and 44 percent below the peak set in April 2009, RealtyTrac said.
Some states, however, saw a much larger increase.

California saw a 55 percent increase in homes receiving a default notice last month, while in Indiana they climbed 46 percent. In New Jersey, where last month a judged ruled that four major banks could resume uncontested foreclosure actions in the state under court monitoring, homes receiving a default notice increased 42 percent.

Despite the increase in new defaults, the number of homes scheduled for auction and those repossessed by banks slowed in August.
Scheduled foreclosure auctions declined 1 percent from July and fell 43 percent from a year earlier, RealtyTrac said.
Auctions increased from July levels in several states, including Colorado, where they rose 51 percent, and Arizona, where they grew 20 percent.
Lenders repossessed 64,813 properties last month, a drop of 4 percent from July and down 32 percent from a year earlier. Home repossessions peaked September last year at 102,134.

Banks are now on track to repossess some 800,000 homes this year, down from more than 1 million last year, Sharga said.
The firm had originally anticipated some 1.2 million homes would be repossessed by lenders this year.
In all, 228,098 U.S. homes received a foreclosure-related notice last month, a 7 percent increase from July, but a nearly 33 percent decline from August last year. That translates to one in every 570 U.S. households, said RealtyTrac.
Nevada still leads the nation, with one in every 118 households receiving a foreclosure-related notice last month.
Rounding out the top 10 states with the highest foreclosure rate in August are California, Arizona, Georgia, Idaho, Michigan, Florida, Illinois, Colorado and Utah.