PDA

View Full Version : Released fish and trauma

crosseyedbass
01-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I head it takes the released fish a day or two before it eats again because of the trauma. Are there any facts out there about it?

fishincrazy
01-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I think that's a bunch of hooey!!! Yesterday while ice fishing I caught the same trout 3 x's:eek: I've caught bluefish more than once.I don't know maybe a cow over 30 would have to much stress to eat right away again.

FC:cool:

Great South Bay Bucktails
01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Just remeber that you want to get the fish to the shore asap . Thats why really light tackle isnt very smart ... Once you get it backin the water , revive it ..

I am not a fan of light tackle for large bass ....
All the info i provide with you guys comes form my own experiences .
So dont think i am coming off cocky or a huge ego .....I have made so many mistakes that it has made me a better angler .

Mikey

Rip-Plugger
01-31-2009, 02:40 AM
I head it takes the released fish a day or two before it eats again because of the trauma. Are there any facts out there about it?

CEB,

I will have to sy that such an idea is a bunch of smoke,it really depends on how much physical damage to the fish's mouth or parts related to it's mouth that will determine that.
if it's superficial only,I would say the fish will "reset" to it's normal feeding mode very soon.
if the fish is larger and exhausted it may drop down deep and hold till it's body "resets" and it will then resume it's normal operating actions.
there are many myths and ideas out there that get spread without any observations,1 in particular,I won't get into right here but,I will start a thread about it.

I can say this,I have been in a river and clearly hooked a trout,that trout jumped and threw the hook,it stayed visible and I casted again and it slammed my tiny rapala again,the second time,I landed it.
I think it's safe to say the nerve was not hurt so it was not hurt the first time.
as far as LMB on the beds,they are not hitting out of hunger,they are defending their territory/nest,protecting the eggs.
I can't say I agree with what willie said about bluefish hitting over and over,thats jst not true,maybe in very few cases they may hit a lure again but not the second they get off it or released.it may be minutes later and even then they are not going to hit it a third time.

I have caught fish that were caught before but not even the same day,the wound was healing and not so recent.
durning many jaunts on the wer,I have never seen a chopper or bass caught again,at least where it could be seen on the fish that there were 2 fresh wounds.

R-P

DarkSkies
01-31-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't like light tackle either , unless fishin for schoolies. Fishing at night, you always should be prepared for the fish that will break your heard from losing it, gear up for it.

Also, colder water fishing the bass have a better chance. Warm water, I spend more time reviving the fish, why waste it if you're not gonna keep it?

williehookem
01-31-2009, 09:30 AM
I think that could be a report put out by peta to stir strouble. When you think of them being hooked and dragged in, I guess it must hurt. But there aren't many nerve endings in the lips, and most of us bring them in quickly.

Have you ever caught a largemouth bass when the season is open, but some bass are still on the beds? They will hit what you put in front of them over and over. Same with bluefish, skates, dogfish, why should stripers be any different? Fish are hungry, they will hit it as long as you're throwing it.