PDA

View Full Version : NY Fishing Reports for April 2008

bunkerjoe4
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

FI -- Fire Island

GSB - Great South Bay
GK- Great Kills

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
JB -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster BayPB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

SI -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/misc/progress.gif

bunkerjoe4
03-31-2008, 06:20 PM
The week in review:
It has been a week of ups and downs, folks. The flounder season started with a whimper. Some who are chumming heavily are doing well. Others are trying just as hard, and feel there are less flounder around than last year.

As for bass, everyone is waiting for the season to officially start on April 15.

Some have been out in the back bays scouting. I have heard that there are some schoolies already here in certain spots.

Some believe that given a few sustained sunny days, the back bay action will heat up. That 's possible, and I hope it rings true. Meanwhile, colder waters have not stopped the back bays from filling up with bait --

adult bunker, some small peanuts and spearing, herring, small invertebrates starting to stir in the mud, and harbor seals which have arrived to feast.

There are bass in the Hudson, from Piermont to Croton and Peekskill. They are not there in huge numbers yet, but guys are catching. They are also catching schoolies in the Hackensack river.

They are still catching big bass down off the CBBT. Those numbers are dwindling, and I believe the bulk of the bass have started their northward migration. It will take some time for all the stragglers to get here, so I believe we are still in for some large numbers of spring bass.

Tips for the season opener:

If you are out there fishing, you will know within a short while if you will be into fish. If not, move and find a more productive spot. If that doesn't work, cut the trip short and go home. Come back another day.

It's better to make 5 short trips to try to find the fish than one long day trip where you feel you wasted your time.
(Of course, rising gas prices are hurting some fishermen, particularly those who live far from the water. It's getting expensive to do anything lately.)

But you can't put a price on the comfort that fishing gives to your soul, and the peace of mind you have after a day/night on the water away from all your troubles. :idea: That's one of the most difficult things to explain to people who don't fish -- why we fish.

Although some bluefish have allegedly been caught, I predict that the early season skinny tail racer bluefish will be here in numbers sometime in the next 2 weeks. They usually can be found in the back bays by casting metal and poppers at the end of the day. This is the best time to take kids fishing, because most children bore easily.

So get ready to take the kids fishing for bluefish! And get out there yourselves, and catch em up! Better days/nights are definitely ahead. -- bunkerjoe

pinhead44
04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Fished for flounder today in a friend's boat. 2 chum logs, fresh clams, not even a tap. Hope next time is better.

nitestrikes
04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Me an 2 buds went out for a quick trip today out of SB. Used a lotta chum, fresh mussels. 3-3-2 each, biggest 2 lbs. Some guys catching herring in the inlet top of the tide.

bunkerjoe4
04-04-2008, 09:30 AM
"Become a Member Win a Plug! For a limited time, every month a plug will be given to one random member who posts in Regional Forums. This is based upon a random number generator."

Wish4fish and others, for a limited time we will be running a giveaway promotion. A custom plug or some type of lure will be given out every month to one member who posts in the regional forums. I didn't publicize this too much, because I didn't want to skew or alter the reports.

It's not necessary to catch fish to participate. Anyone who has gone fishing and posts a report, whether they caught a fish or not, is eligible.

Even if you got skunked, posting a report telling us that helps our community make decisions when they go fishing, and is appreciated. That way, I think it's fair to everyone, and fulfills my goal of keeping things honest.

For those who haven't seen it, the notice is on the main page, when you first look at the area titled "Regional Forums".

"Become a Member Win a Plug! For a limited time, every month a plug will be given to one random member who posts in Regional Forums. This is based upon a random number generator."

So, now people officially may be aware, and know that all report posts are greatly appreciated. Good luck to all.

The bite has turned on in the last 48 hours in NJ, folks. If anyone is still sitting at home waiting to hear about others catching, now is the time to get your gear together and get out there. Flounder season is open, and the bass season opens for NY on April 15.

It's still a little cold, windy, and miserable sometimes, but the fish don't care if it's raining. It's all based on the water temperature. So get out there and catch em up! - bunkerjoe

bunkerjoe4
04-08-2008, 06:57 AM
The week in review:

This has been the first week where more people are starting to catch keepers with regularity. The bite has turned on, but some bad weather has accompanied it as well. Those catching fish have been fishing in adverse conditions which can sometimes be dangerous.

This is a good time to talk about safety, being aware of your surroundings, and any escape/rescue routes if things turn bad. Some fishermen drowned in NJ's Delaware River. What started out as a fishing trip with high hopes turned into a tragedy when an anchor line allegedly got caught in the prop, capsizing the boat. The water is still very cold this time of year. Even with temps in the low 50's, your ability to survive is minimized when the air is cold.

Wearing a PFD does not make you a sissy. Even if you are a great swimmer, your chances of surviving an accident become greater if you are wearing one.

For those wading the shorelines in the back bays, there are ways to ensure a safer trip. Try to fish with a friend who can help if something happens. Have dry clothes available in your vehicle. Scout the area at low tide so you will know if there are any drops or sloughs. If you are wading out any distance from shore, try to have at least a long pvc sand spike, or a sturdy wading stick, to stabilize your progress, especially if fishing at night. If you are fishing during a noreast weather pattern, remember that one high wave can make all the difference between a wet and dry fishing trip. There are also these handwarmer packs called "Hot hands". Great invention for the cold weather fisherman.

These tips may be second nature to some, and that's great. But please don't underestimate safety procedures this time of year, folks. If a tragedy does happen while you are fishing, think how your family and friends would be impacted if you were no longer around for them.

For freshwater fishing, the Delaware River has still not consistently reached the 50's, which is usually the switch that turns on the shad and herring. People are still catching, but it's spotty. Hydroacoustical reports show the fish are passing by, but they seem to have lockjaw for now.

As for the salt, action is now being reported in more places. Flounder up to 2 1/2 lbs have been caught by those who chum heavily. Mussels seem to be a productive bait.

For bass, the popular hot spots are great, but a hot bite today does not guarantee it will be the same tomorrow. It's good to know what others are catching and when, but sometimes more productive to place emphasis on fishing the right tides/time for your trip. In the back bay areas, unless the fish are really on the feed, your best bet still is the 2 hour window at the top of the outgoing.

Guys who fished the Northeast weather patterns have been doing well, especially at night. More shorts, and some keepers, are being caught in the ocean. Now is a good time of year to have alternate plans for the night. If you set up in a spot, good time tide/time combo, and you don't even get a tap in a half hour, it's time to move to another location. This is a pain when you are bait fishing, but the guys who catch are the ones who are very mobile.

On Sunday morning, I had a short window to fish, and was out in the wind fishing a new spot. The spot, which had shown some promise, was dead when I was there. Meanwhile, guys had a great bite 10 miles (and a river away) from where I was. Stay mobile, try to be flexible in your thinking, and your chances will increase.

If you can find schools of bunker, all the better, particularly if you snag and drop. Always have a snag rig or 2 with you. Sometimes, it seems like the seals have the bunker schools all to themselves, as bass tend to shy away when there are seals feeding. I think there will be many happy fishermen when the seals finally decide to start migrating north.

New York reports:
More people are catching flounder as mentioned above, but some people just getting out for the first of the season are finding out that it's not always easy, and really have to work for the flounder they catch.

Although the season is not yet officially open, people have been reportedly been catching and releasing bass in the Great Kills area. There is also a pretty decent bass bite in the upper Hudson. Bunker schools are in some of the inlets for those who want to snag a few for bait.

Good luck, and remember safety comes first. -- bunkerjoe

pinhead44
04-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Out in the bay on a friend's boat yesterday. Didn't go very far b/c of the waves. Chummed for flounder caught 6 up to 2lbs. They were pretty fat.

BassBuddah
04-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Fished late afternoon into sunset GK. Switched back and forth between bucktail and 1/2 oz jig with white curly tail. 2 bass up to 24". LOT of bunker around, but I didn't see any big bass feedin on em.

pinhead44
04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Fished a hole in the back of an inlet late afternoon today. Fished from the rocks, caught 2 flounder. Saw bird action when I left and passed the front, maybe bunker or herring.

stripercrazy
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Fished for flounder yesterday gsb. Mussels, 3 fish between 2 people, doesn't seem like it really turned on yet.

pescador29
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Im glad you said it stripercrazy. I fished mussels at kills 2hours, and nada. Water is cold, but I was starting to think maybe I'm just a bad fishermen?

pinhead44
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Fished a quick hour during the day yesterday small rubber shads. One micro bass 17" back bay, quick release, fish sluggish. Had to throw too many times, very slow retrieve.

stripercrazy
04-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Pescador, put your time in, and be patient. Everytime I have been out, I see more guys fishing, but only a few of them are catchin. Water still cold yet, things can only get better.

stripercrazy
04-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Just got back from fishin some warmer shallow water. 3 bass on leadhead, white curly tail, verrrrrry slow retrieve. On the way to the spot, saw gannets diving like crazy in front of an inlet. They were really up and down, could have been bunker, but no bass breaking water, saw boats fishing through the schools, but nothing caught.

pescador29
04-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Thankj you stripercrazy. I want to learn, thanks.

pinhead44
04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
On a boat this am JB, 6 flounder for 3 guys, not too great even though we chummed a lot, where are all the flatties?

stripercrazy
04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Only 2 small very bass tonight, same leadhead setup. I think this weather pattern slowed things down a little.

bunkerjoe4
04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
The week in review 4-14-2008

This has been a more consistent week in terms of bass fishing. The bulk are still being caught in the low light hours, outgoing tide, but more are being reported caught during the incoming on the flats and places where the water has warmed. Bay waters are now in the low to mid-50's.

Flounder fishing is more consistent as well, but lots of chum is required to put any decent catch together.

Bait is reported all over, from the back bays to the front, from spearing to herring to adult bunker, with the gannets, seagulls, and seals taking their share.

This is the first week there has been anything significant reported out front, with a flurry of bass activity at IBSP the other day in front and back.

Meanwhile, the "oil spill" turned out to be sea foam, a naturally occuring combination of dead algae and other organic matter, really a non-issue, but investigated nonetheless.

There are significant numbers of big fish in the Chesapeake bay getting ready to spawn. This bodes well for all up north of that, as I believe the best is yet to come.

The first bluefish have been reported in the Southern reaches of NJ, and I believe it will be a matter of days before they show up in the back bays.

Get ready to take the kids!!

For the freshwater fishermen, the Delaware has been more productive for shad now that the water had edged into the 50's. Fish, many taken on shad darts and small spoons, are spread from Philadelphia to the Water Gap.

NY week in review 4-14-2008:
Freshwater striper fishing in the Hudson is in full swing. Bass have been caught in many places in that river as they push northward getting ready to spawn.

The flounder season is still plodding along, with some decent catches being reported, and some disillusioned fishermen saying the water is still too cold yet. These guys are still trying, hope springs eternal for the fisherman.

Bait in the NY Bight, inlets and back bays is similar to the NJ areas, changing from one day to the next. Some short bass are being caught and released, in anticipation of the season opener April 15.

I believe bluefish will show up in the NY back bays within a few days of being reported in NJ. Again, look for the reports, and get ready to take the kids fishing for bluefish, a great springtime sport for the whole family.

nitestrikes
04-14-2008, 10:50 PM
1 bass 27" on bucktail gk, back to get bigger. Tomorrow season opens I'm psyched!

stormchaser
04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I decided to check out the ocean today, haven't been out front for a bit. not a big swell, fished bucktails near JI late afternoon. zip.

nitestrikes
04-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Opening day not so great for me. Fished bucktail, and also sluggo 1.2oz in GK yesterday and today. bunker moving here and there, but no fish.

pinhead44
04-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Fished gk with clams today, nothing but light taps, no fish hooked.

BassBuddah
04-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Out front gk last night, clams for an hour outgoing, nuttin. Had 1 fresh bunker with me, threw the head on a 12/O gami, 15 mins later a 32" bass hit like a freight train. First decent bass, put it back make the fish Gods happy. Next time I'm bringin the cooler.

nitestrikes
04-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Tried GSB for a change today, shads and bucktails. Hit 5 different spots before I nailed one small 20" bass, but at least I beat the skunk.

stormchaser
04-19-2008, 07:52 AM
gk is getting better, 4 bass last night up to 27", clams on the outgoing, the water is heating up.

fishlipper
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Went over to SI, heard some good reports. Fished last night outgoing. One small fish on the first cast using clams, then the bite died. Later on at another spot saw some guys coming off the beach with a decent fish, 32-34". Went out and started throwing clams and bunker, but as soon as the seal came cruising by, I knew the bite was dead at that spot.

Just wanted to say thanks for the hospitality and info some of you guys shared. Was my first time there, didn't know much about the structure. New Yorkers get a bad rap in Jersey, but everyone I met was cool. Anyone of you NY members ever come over to Jersey to fish, pm me and I'll try to give you guys the same help. :thumbsup:

pinhead44
04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Went over to SI, heard some good reports. Fished last night outgoing. One small fish on the first cast using clams, then the bite died. Later on at another spot saw some guys coming off the beach with a decent fish, 32-34". Went out and started throwing clams and bunker, but as soon as the seal came cruising by, I knew the bite was dead at that spot.

Just wanted to say thanks for the hospitality and info some of you guys shared. Was my first time there, didn't know much about the structure. New Yorkers get a bad rap in Jersey, but everyone I met was cool. Anyone of you NY members ever come over to Jersey to fish, pm me and I'll try to give you guys the same help. :thumbsup:

Hey fishlipper, guess you never met me yet, then. I woulda told you to go back to stinkin Jersey. http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

We don't mind you guys coming here long as you take your trash with you, and don't take all our bunker! http://www.stripersandanglers.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Fished GK last night, 3 bass to 25" outgoing.

bunkerjoe4
04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
The week in Review 4-21-08

This has been a decent week for the surf fishermen, and boat fishermen are starting to pick up some decent catches as well. The first weakfish have been reported, first in South Jersey in the back bay areas, and Saturday some were caught in Raritan Bay.

Bluefish have arrived as well, making my predictions accurate. (I was a little nervous they wouldn't turn up this week, folks, but my logs showed I caught bluefish 2 years ago on April 12. It was a little colder this year, so I gave it an extra week.:)).

Bigger bass were caught, but the red hot night bite seemed to taper off a bit in some places. The best spots will shift from day to day, and will no longer maintain status as "best spots" as warmer weather prevails. Fish will be caught in many locations, and now are being caught out front as well. I have seen the first sea robins caught in the ocean while on a scouting trip this weekend. Bet you folks were happy to hear that! :)

The week ahead brings some snotty conditions for the next day or so. If you have a chance to go fishing, remember that some of the biggest fish are caught in the worst conditions. Find a place that has currrent or a stream/river outflow nearby, and you may find some decent fish. Dress warmly, bring extra clothes, and be careful with the nasty weather.

New York week in Review 4-21

Bigger bass are still being caught in the Hudson by those using bunker and herring chunks. Eeling has also worked for some. The flounder bite is heating up, but most captains are still working hard to put decent catches together for you folks. Please remember to tip the mates if you felt they worked hard on your trip. They don't make much money to begin with, and appreciate your loyalty in these tough economic times.

The back bays have warmed up, and have been more productive for bass. Bait fishermen using clams and bunker have been hooking up, but some are successful with jigs, bucktails, and rubber shad-type baits.

Great news out of the Staten Island area, where a 47lb bass was reportedly caught this week. That's a true cow!

Further reports are available in local tackle shops about that fish, try calling Michael's for info. Remember folks when you go into those tackle shops and are not happy with the $2bunker and other prices, those shops have to pay for heat, electricity, real estate taxes, rent, and employee salaries before they turn a profit.

You may be able to buy some plugs cheaper in Cabelas or Bass Pro, but you will never be able to get bunker and clams from those big box stores. Once a small tackle shop closes, many are not replaced, so please patronize them. Where else can you get your reels serviced quickly by someone who stands behind their work?

Back to fishing, the bluefish reported in NJ should be crashing the shores of NY, if they haven't already. Take the kids out for a great bluefish fishing expedition, it's one they won't soon forget.

pescador29
04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I went to kills park on the beach for 6 hours saturday 9to3. Used clams, I think fresh. Nothing until 3 when I wanted to leave, a striper 18" I put back. 6 hours for one small fish, I want to learn how to get bigger fish!

stormchaser
04-22-2008, 11:59 PM
gk last night 2 fish bunker chunks, one 29, one 20". Beginning of the tide the bluefish were nailing the bunker, went through many pieces. Got the bass later on.

pescador, if you are spending all those hours fishing, maybe you want to change it up a little. first off. try fishing at night, or very early sunrise. Middle of the day really is a waste unless you have schools of bait all over.

Are you using a fishfinder setup for your sinker? Blues don't care for the most part, but using one for bass will improve your chances. Are you holding your pole, or dead sticking it? A lot of guys miss hits when they put too many poles out.

nitestrikes
04-24-2008, 08:31 AM
small bass and bluefish on bunker chunks at GK last night.

stripercrazy
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Fished out front this morning near FI inlet, got a few blues on bunker chunks near the top of incoming. Great to have the action!

fishlipper
04-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Came over to SI again last night after chasing bluefish on the Jersey side. One guy was frantically looking for more bunker, said he caught a 33" bass and some blues, but ran out. I only had 2, couldn't help the dude. Figured I would snag more, but they were a little scarce last night. Many thanks to the 2 guys I met who said I could have their bunker as they left. :thumbsup: I stretched it all to fight around 10 bluefish 6-10lbs, before sunrise. Some nice tail walkers, but no bass. Beautiful night to be fishin.

BassBuddah
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Fished Jamaica Bay this morning, found some bunker, snagged a few for chunks. 2 bass 27" before daylight, then bluefish assault for about 2 hours.

stripercrazy
04-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Skunked today, fishing back bay with bucktails, wrong side of the tide.

pescador29
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
stromchaser, thank you very much! My friend and me went to gk yesterday near the sunset. We had 3 poles, One had clams and fishfinder, others we used bunker chunks and steel. We caught one small bass, 26" put back, and 25 big bluefiish, before the weather came. Thank you, much fish for my family to eat!

stormchaser
04-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Fishing the last few days in the back of FI, and some places in Jamaica Bay. bunker are starting to fill in. when I find bunker, I usually snag a few and chunk, have got some big bluefish up to 13 lbs. Still no huge bass yet, biggest in the last few days was 26", most fish in dawn or dusk hours. Fish starting to hit plugs and metal in daylight.

pescador, glad you got some fish, you put in your time, and you'll get em. :)

bunkerjoe4
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
The week in Review 4-28-08

This has been a great week for the surf and boat fishermen.
Bluefish have turned on with a vengeance!

It's common to catch 4-8lb skinny "racer" blues this time of year, but the ones people are tangling with now are in the range of 6-13lbs. These are big, nasty, and full of slaughtered baitfish. It's almost as if these bluefish have been fed a plutonium diet, they are so abundant and aggressive. Must have been a good year class.

Bigger bass were caught, with some fish in the 25 to 30 lb range being caught but not reported. However, the bluefish invasion has shifted the bass bite to the deeper areas of the bays for the boaters, or certain shore areas during low light hours, where bluefish are less active.

Bass will continue to be more challenging to catch as long as the bluefish dominate.

The week ahead again brings some snotty conditions for the next few days. If you have a chance to go fishing, remember that some of the biggest fish are caught in the worst conditions. Find a place that has currrent or a stream/river outflow nearby, and you may find some decent fish. Dress warmly, bring extra clothes, and be careful with the nasty weather.

There are also some surprisingly large weakfish being caught, but not reported. Folks, these huge weakfish are breeders, and need to breed to propagate the species. If you are lucky enough to catch a weakfish over 8 lbs, you have every right to keep it.

However, please consider catch, photo, and release, so it can make baby weakfish. :idea:

New York week in Review 4-28-08

Bigger bass are still being caught in the Hudson by those using bunker, herring, and eels. The water is still cool enough to hold them, but that may change shortly after the spawn as they make their way downriver.

The flounder bite has been tough, very hard to put together limit catches this year for some.

The back bays have warmed up and are hosting hordes of bunker schools. Things are finally coming to life, though a bit slower in the northern reaches of LI.

The bluefish reported in NJ are also providing tackle busting action for NY anglers as well.

Folks, these big bluefish may only be around for another week or so. Once the water warms significantly, the larger ones will move further offshore.

This is the best time to get one, right now. If you've been waiting for the right time to take the kids fishing, now is the time! :)

fishlipper
04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Late report. fished SI yesterday 4-5:30 am in the driving wind and rain. Heard guys did well at night, but I could only catch a skunk. conditions perfect, no fish. No one else was there at that time.

Tried again 4-6 this morning, 6 bluefish 9-11 lbs on bunker chunks, no bass.

fishlipper
04-30-2008, 12:02 AM
Hit NY looking for some stripes. Just a scouting mission.

Started in Amboy area, then SI, Belt parkway Brooklyn, all Gateway parks, Queens, Long beach areas, about 7 stops total. Saw bluefish caught on meatsticks at all places. The only place I heard of bass being caught was Staten Island earlier in the day, and East Rockaway.

Windy as hell, the last place along the JB I stopped on a highway, and saw the last of a huge bluefish bite. Some guys had buckets of them, only 2 or 3 could fit in a bucket. Wind in face, maybe gusts of 25mph, cold, but bluefish were all over.

fishlipper
05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Took some kids to SI tonight, looking for the bluefish. Straight SE when we got there, but it laid down a bit, wasn't that bad. Before we set up, saw people into fish. Special thanks to the fisherman wearing the Michael's hat who let the youngest reel in a bluefish as he saw us walk up to him.

Once set up, the kids lost a few, I let them reel in their own fish, so slack line set the fish free. But the kids had a great time. It was a perfect night to fish.