PDA

View Full Version : Tough enough for a half frozen river race?

fishinmission78
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
On Sat a bunch of crazy kayakkers and canoes ran the St George river in Maine. :kooky:

SEARSMONT, Maine - One of the first outdoor sporting events of spring was surrounded by the trappings of winter.

Temperatures hovering around freezing, ice-cold water, wind-blown snowflakes swirling through the air, and a coating of white on the ground to cover the mud that represents the true arrival of spring were the dominant characteristics of the day.

But none of that bothered veteran kayaker Fred Ludwig on Saturday after he posted the fastest time at the 29th annual St. George River Race.

The Houlton resident, like all who hail from Aroostook County, has seen the harsh winter leave a record-setting wake of snowfall near their homes.
"I’ve got a 15-foot pile of snow at the end of my driveway that’s going to be there for a long time," said the 48-year-old Ludwig.
He completed the relatively flat 6-mile course in 41 minutes, 29 seconds.
"Generally the good times are in the high 30s, 38 [minutes] or so and I’m a little slower now anyway," he said before learning his time. "But I’d bet you the river’s running about two or three minutes slower than normal."

Kayakers Ray Wirth of Belfast (42:52) and Jeff Sands of Kenduskeag (43:52) were the next fastest, followed by the two-man canoe teams of Jeff Owen and Ed Lindsey of Orono (45:33) and Dan Wagner of Belfast and Chip Loring of Old Town (45:54)

Indeed, times were slower this year because of relatively low water, the result of the reluctance for the snow to melt.
"There was enough water to run it," he said. "There was nothing too technical as long as you kept your eyes open but you had to be looking all the time for rocks right under the surface. You had to be watching out for the boats ahead of you because they may be where you want to go, so you had to make some last-minute decisions.
"But a dry run is a good run."

Some 75 watercraft participated in this year’s event, down slightly from a year ago but a good number given the conditions, according to race director Dale Cross.

And nearly all of the participants emerged from the race relatively dry, as the rapids near the midpoint of the race at Robbins Lumber Co. produced almost no overturned canoes and kayaks — much to the chagrin of the hearty corps of river vultures who watched from the bridges along the route.

For many of the participants, Saturday’s race — the first in a series of weekly events that lead up to the Kenduskeag Stream race on April 19 — was a season debut on the water.

But Ludwig had an advantage in that regard, despite his Aroostook County roots.

"We have a sewer treatment plant back up home that kicks out a little hotter than normal water," he said, "and that area opens up a little sooner than the rest of the [Meduxnekeag] river so I can do a 12-minute loop. I do four loops, I get 48 minutes in and call it good."
Ludwig had been out four times before tackling the St. George, but nothing’s quite the same as an actual race — no matter the season.
"The only thing about today is that this isn’t real tough whitewater, but I haven’t been able to do any whitewater, so the first time you’re in it you play it a little cautious," he said. "But all in all everything went fine."