PDA

View Full Version : JSS surf day 2/21/09 Brookdale Community College Lincroft NJ

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Took a ride to Brookdale Community College to check out the guys from JSS surf day. Got there a little late, but there were still lots of people milling around. Someone said over 400 people came through the doors. I believe it, there were people coming and going, and lots of interest in the vendors, authors, and the custom plug builders set up there.

I heard there were some good seminars too, but missed them. Anyone who's a member of JSS, if you have any info on how the seminars went, I would appreciate some help describing what you guys offered, and what was talked about in the seminars.

I reconnected with a lot of good people I hadn't seen in months and got lost in some good fishin and meaning of life conversations. Also met some people that I only knew from the internet, it was cool to finally connect the names to the faces. :thumbsup:

Congrats to JSS, their families, and all the people behind the scenes who worked hard to make the day a success. :clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Paul Harris - NJBBA president

Tom Valentino - NJBBA Vice-president

I had heard a lot about these people, but it was the first time I met any of them. They are a great group of fishermen and women. They have so many activities for the less fortunate, I hope I kept the details straight writing them down. :D

There is the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) fishing program, where they take disabled vets fishing for a day. They told me a story about the last one they had, where they almost lost a guy. Seems the guy was so happy to finally be out fishing, he wandered away and didn't want to go home. They found him happily fishing and not wanting to go back.

I can relate to that, if I couldn't fish I would rather be dead. It's my church, my medicine, and my serenity all rolled up in one, just being out there near the water. We talked about the "Take a soldier fishing" program, which I'm a member of, also on this site. Another great group: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1628

Theyre also involved in Boy Scouts Activities, and helped 85 scouts get their Merit Badges at one of their outings last year. They helped provide info on Safety, Knots, and great fishing xperiences for these kids.

www.njbba.com (http://www.njbba.com) or

www.njbba.org (http://www.njbba.org)
Take a look at their website above when you get a chance. If you can spare some extra dough for the programs they run, maybe you might think about sending it to them. They do a great job helping disadvantaged people enjoy the outdoors. :clapping:

A final point that drew me toward this group was a comment they made about how we in the United States are sending billions of dollars to help poor people in other countries. Yeah, they're poor, and the stories are sad, but there are hundreds of thousands of extremely poor people right here in America. Why can't we help our American citizens who are starving before we help other countries? Food for thought. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 06:55 PM

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Steve Adams, owner of AOK tackle, good to finally meet ya. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Fishermens Supply, Point pleasant NJ. Stocked as usual with Al Gags wooden plugs, Ron Mucci's glitter plugs, Superstrike plugs, and way too much to list.

Ronnie from Fishermens supply is always a pleasure to talk to. He's a super salesman, and I think this works so well because he loves to fish and won't pass off any crap that doesn't work just to move inventory. I wonder if the owner (Steve?) knows what an asset he is to the business. I haven't seen him since the summer, was good to see ya again Ronnie. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Van Staal in the house!

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Sting-o lures. I never heard of them before, they said they're just starting out. Some nice lead jigs with holographic finishes, and some decent looking plugs. I have no idea how they fish, anyone here fished their stuff? David Stingo is the owner, nice meetin ya, man. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:12 PM

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:16 PM
The St Croix table - met Dave Colley, area rep.

Rich Swiss is a Jersey Rep, Dave said I just missed him. I hope Swiss gets that first keeper bass when the season starts in March like he usually does, but this year he might have some competition. It's like bein a gunslinger in the Wild West, when you're one of the best, it's only natural some guys are gonna come to challenge ya for the title. :viking:

May the best man win, but I hope Swiss nails it again. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Met Armand and his son Marcel from RIP, Rhode Island poppers. Sometimes at the hyped up shows, it's difficult to talk to the plugmakers. I like the shows like JSS put on because you get a chance to talk to the guy when he's not rushed, and can have some decent conversations.

Rhode Island poppers has been in business since 1998, and have slowly grown to be one of the better regarded builders out there. Armand stands by his reputation and is proud of his work.

Beyond that, he told me the pride he feels when someone comes up to him and tells him a story how they nailed a nice fish on his plug.

It doesn't have to be a record. He related a story about how last year he and his son were fishing in the back of the bay, and they had 32-34" bass on almost every cast. Father and son fishing, these are the experiences that bring lifetime memories. :thumbsup:

It was nice meetin you and your son again, Armand, and thanks for being so helpful about the Rhode Island info. :HappyWave:I'm dyin to fish that place. :drool:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Too bad this wasn't a hunting show, deer all over the place. :D

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Met Greg Myhre, owner of Loki Lures.

Some nice bunker and mullet profile swimmers

He won't be at the Asbury show this year, so you should look for him at the one or 2 more shows he may be at if you want one of his plugs. Guy has an amazing talent with the airbrush. :clapping:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Loki

some poppers

show recession specials, only $12!

He was written up in the Asbury Park Press, Hook Line and Sinker column, I think Sept 28, 2008?

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:41 PM

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Jack, of Surf Side B&T Long Branch, NJ This guy knows how to catch large, and he'll be out there March 1. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Big Ed! Another guy who's been doing it for a number of years, he'll be at Asbury. Good meetin you guys again. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Kayakfishingstuff

Shipwreck was manning the area for these guys. I think Ship was born in a kayak, he definitely taught me a few cool things when I met him on the water last spring.

I'm gonna embarass him here, only a little. :D He got mad at himself last year, said he was too fat. Man, the dude lost like 15 lbs since I saw him last, I only lost 5. :embarassed: Dude, smart move for the spring kayak fishery, even though you got a Hobie pedal yak, those extra pounds slow ya down. Good job on losin the weight. :clapping:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:52 PM

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Mike, it was cool meetin ya, I heard so much good stuff about your videos. Somehow I got distracted and forgot to take your pic! Oh well, next time.

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I've bumped into ya a few times at night DJ, it was hard to recognize ya in the daylight. Nice to finally get a chance to say hello. :HappyWave:DJ's got a couple books out, and some good reviews on them.

DJ with Geoff. Geoff, one of the JSS guys, worked very hard to put this together. Geoff, you introduced me to the president of the club, but I forgot his name, sorry. That's ok, all you guys worked hard to make the day happen smoothly, and it showed. :clapping: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Kadir from Aquaskinz. Heard a lot about you, good to finally connect the name to the face. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
The man, the legend, Big Rock! He'll be at the Asbury show. Dude is a madman with an airbrush, and he donated a plug or 2 to a special plug showcase that was raffled at this show. Proceeds go to charity, good mojo man. :clapping:

Heres a pic of the plug he donated, the one with the red flames

DarkSkies
02-21-2009, 08:11 PM
There were more people and cool tables there, but I missed them. I missed Swiss, and Sudsy was supposed to have a table, but it didn't happen, hopefully he'll have a table at another show. I got caught up in too many side conversations. :embarassed: It was great to see people who I haven't seen since the fall, and great to get out and away from working on a Saturday.

I'll do better next time, so to Ron DiCostanzo Lordship Lures, and any others that I missed, I'll catch ya at the next shows.

cowherder
02-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey, great report and pictures on the show, Dark. :clapping:

katiefishes
02-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Dark, you out did yourself here. Great pics, Joe sure has a good friend in you.

DarkSkies
02-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Katie, Joe has been my friend for many years. He has saved my azz when I was going through some tough times, and was ready to give it up and quit living. I owe him big time. :thumbsup: ( I also don't mind testing the plugs he gives me to beat on and see if they catch fish with) ;) :fishing:

rockhopper
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Dark, I love the way you give details about the vendors and put up a face with the name. We often hear about the builders so it is good to see their pics.

fishincrazy
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
DS I was at Smitty's table would have liked to meet you!!! Great show!!You cover this stuff like a photojournalist!!! I'm very impressed with these post's you make of all the shows!!!!!:thumbsup:

FC:eek:

Wentfishn47
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you guys for coming out to Surfday with out you guys and many more it would not have been such a success:clapping:

Big Rock is the man he made the box the plugs where in and did a great job,he is going to get plenty of my hard earned cash in Asbury for sure:thumbsup:

I was abit concerned about some of the:kicknuts:and BS from the naysayers that was posted on the other site but it all worked out and everyone had a great time and that is what matters to us from Jersey Shore Surfcasters.

Dark thanks for posting the pics great job:thumbsup:

We are planning for next year right now and it is going to be at the same place on Feb 20 2010 and there will be more signs to point out where we are this time:embarassed:

Mike

bunkerjoe4
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Katie, Joe has been my friend for many years. ... I owe him big time. :thumbsup: :fishing:

Nonsense, Dark. For personal reasons, you know why I don't participate in the BillW thread. You are doing a fine job there without my assistance. Beyond that, your story, determination and drive has been an inspiration to others. You have helped countless people who were not in a position to return the favor. You are quite rough around the edges, and play the King Crab role well, but your heart is big, and you truly care about people. You owe me nothing. I am honored to call you a friend. And you did an excellent job reporting this event. :clapping:

bunkerjoe4
02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Thank you guys for coming out to Surfday with out you guys and many more it would not have been such a success:clapping:

I was abit concerned about some of the:kicknuts:and BS from the naysayers that was posted on the other site but it all worked out and everyone had a great time and that is what matters to us from Jersey Shore Surfcasters.

Mike

Mike, naysaying, drama, and spiteful criticism -- all non-productive uses of our time -- you will not find them here. We are about fishing, learning, having fun, and promoting awareness of the access and legislative issues all fishermen are facing today. Welcome to the site. I am glad your show turned out to be such a success, and happy to have you join our community. :HappyWave:

storminsteve
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Nice pics and story. Sounds like I missed a good show.

Wentfishn47
02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Mike, naysaying, drama, and spiteful criticism -- all non-productive uses of our time -- you will not find them here. We are about fishing, learning, having fun, and promoting awareness of the access and legislative issues all fishermen are facing today. Welcome to the site. I am glad your show turned out to be such a success, and happy to have you join our community. :HappyWave:

Thanks Joe!!!

I must say after doing some surfing around the site it's like a breath of fresh air that was needed. It's been a long winter for sure but the back bays open up soon and the air will warm once agian and the Striped one's will give us all the warm feeling once agian in our persuit of them. I am looking foward to sharing and gaining knowledge with every one here on the site in the sport we all love!!!

Tight lines to all:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
DS I was at Smitty's table would have liked to meet you!!! Great show!!You cover this stuff like a photojournalist!!! I'm very impressed with these post's you make of all the shows!!!!!:thumbsup:

FC:eek:

Thanks, man. I was wondering if you would be at any Jersey shows, or if I would run into ya at one of the Pennsylvania shows. I completely missed Smitty's table, got into too many side conversations. Seen some people I hadn't run into in a long time. That's why I don't get paid, I shoot whatever strikes my eye at the moment. :D

fishincrazy
02-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks, man. I was wondering if you would be at any Jersey shows, or if I would run into ya at one of the Pennsylvania shows. I completely missed Smitty's table, got into too many side conversations. Seen some people I hadn't run into in a long time. That's why I don't get paid, I shoot whatever strikes my eye at the moment. :D

I hear ya!!!!:D

FC:HappyWave:

RI Popper
02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey Darkskies, It was great meeting you at the show. What a wonderful event that was. NJ is quickly becoming one of my favorite places. I love the great comraderie that was shown down there and the people were some of the kindest and warmest I've every been around. Great site you have going here. I hope to stope by some and participate :).

Thanks for your kind words about our lures

Tight Lines
Armand

DarkSkies
02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Just calling it like I see it, Armand. It was good talking to ya about fishing with your son, those moments are worth more than anything else, the memories last forever. And I thank ya again for the advice about fishin Rhody. :thumbsup:

fishinmission78
02-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I went, liked skinners and blaskos seminars. It was a little hard to find the place because the college had other stuff going on. Other than that, it was a good day to spend a few hours and learn something. The jss put on a good one. Nice report ds.

RI Popper
03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
If at all possible I'll be back next year:HappyWave:.

Armand