View Full Version : ye olde tackle shops and tackle shop closings

hookset
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Went down to Rays Sporting Goods to get some gear, found out they are closing. :eek:

captnemo
10-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I heard rumors of that, thanks for confirming. Very sad to hear it's true, they have been in business forever, and always had guys working who knew what they were talking about. Seems like they prided themselves on customer service, such a shame.

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Stopped in there on the way home today. Still some good deals left. Ive heard a lot of guys criticize them on other forums, and I agree with most of the criticism.

A buddy of mine know the other partner around 7 years ago, but he died. So for the last few years it's been run by Tony and Al. Some guys complain Tony is the grouchy one, I might tend to agree with that. They lost my loyalty when I tried to get there a few times to replace some gear when in the middle of a hot bite in that area, and I noticed they would close 20 minutes or 1/2 hour early. Oh well.

In the meantime, I'm sad to see any small business close its doors. There are no winners in this situation, it's gotta be depressing to have to close a long-standing business.

They're not cutting deals on the stuff left, no matter how much you buy. All stuff is already marked down 40-55% off, so maybe some people wanna go in there and check out the stuff that's left. Mighe be a better idea to try to go there only when Al is around, he's a little less grumpy. :D

I took pics of what's left. The orange prices are list, yellpw/white prices reflect the discount. Most stuff is marked, if you don't see a price, just ask em.

Sorry to see ya go, guys. :(

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 09:58 PM
pics

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 09:58 PM

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 09:59 PM

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 10:00 PM

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 10:01 PM

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 10:02 PM
offshore

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 10:03 PM

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 10:03 PM

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 10:04 PM

DarkSkies
02-14-2009, 10:06 PM
last redfin and jointed eel swimmers. Don't bother looking for em cause I got em. ;)

wish4fish
02-15-2009, 10:33 AM
that place sux, i won't miss em. i had a nice fish i wanted to weigh one night, called the dude to make sure he would be there, and he was closed when i got there. you're right about the hours, they close 1/2 hour early a LOT!!! http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Monty
02-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
I have stopped there a few times, after awhile would just keep going and go to the Tackle Box if I needed something. Tough spot to be on the wrong side of the road. As you mentioned Rich, sad to see anyone go out of business.

fishinmission78
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
My Dad started me fishing, so some of the stories he told me were great, but hard to relate to. He talked about the old tackle shops they used to hang out in. I remember Stevens tackle in Long Branch before the new owner came in and jacked up the rent and forced him out. :beatin: Brian was a great guy, the dog was cool, and he built a mean rod. So who's got some other stories of places that bit the dust?

voyager35
03-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Does anyone recall Giglio's B&T in Sea Bright? What a place to remember. I think it was Armand who started it? He brought his brothers Art and Ernie into it. Art died somewhere after 2000, I remember reading about it. I heard Ernie and his other brother were still around in Avon, and trying to set up again. They don't make places like that anymore.

wish4fish
03-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I remember Stevens tackle in Long Branch before the new owner came in and jacked up the rent and forced him out. :beatin: Brian was a great guy, the dog was cool, and he built a mean rod. So who's got some other stories of places that bit the dust?

stevens was great zim was on another website and he would let us know when the cows were in so we could come down. zim was always mellow and had some good music playin, though not too much metal. :headbang:i liked that dog too.

clamchucker
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I remember Giglios. It was a great place to go in and shoot the breeze. It reminds me of the old time hardware stores. They don't have too many shops like that anymore. Sometimes I wish we could turn back the hands of time and visit these places a few more times. I guess they can only exist in our memories.

jigfreak
03-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Stevens was great Zim was on another website and he would let us know when the cows were in so we could come down. Zim was always mellow and had some good music playin, though not too much metal. :headbang:I liked that dog too.

I remember him too, he did a lot of different things for customer service, and built some decent rods. I don't think we'll see any shops like his in the future. Going into that place was like travelling back in time.

bababooey
01-28-2010, 01:35 AM
He died Mon Jan 25. What a character he was. RIP Ernie.:(

http://obits.nj.com/obituaries/starledger/obituary.aspx?n=ernest-wuesthoff&pid=138983940
Ernest Wuesthoff Jr.

http://mi-cache.legacy.com/legacy/images/Cobrands/StarLedger/Photos/obes0127ewuesthoff84_20100127.jpgErnest Wuesthoff Jr., fisherman and owner of "The Bait 'n' Tackle Shop" in Normandy Beach since 1962, passed away on Monday. He was 84. He was known as "Ernie" to all who encountered him. Ernie was a lifelong resident of New Jersey. He went to school in Union City, and then joined the Navy. He was proud to serve his country in World War II. Ernie learned to fish soon after he could walk. He would watch his father play baseball at Hudson County Park, and he soon stumbled upon the fishermen lining the banks of the Hudson River.

Ernie would swear that, at age four, he spotted his first fish swimming by prior to catching it. Ernie, like many of his peers, had to grow up fast. He took his first job at a bait and tackle shop when he was just 7 years old. He credits shop owner, Muriel Owens, with much of his fishing prowess and business savvy.

While Ernie never cared as much about baseball as his father and his younger brother, George, did, it was Ernie who would cross paths with one of the greatest ballplayers of all time, Ted Williams. Ernie and Ted were stationed in Pensacola, Fla., in the 40s. The two bonded quickly over their love of fishing. They were also both skilled gunsmiths. Ernie and Ted fished together for many years after their military service ended. Ernie opened his first shop "Cliffside Rod and Gun" in 1946.

However, Ernie always had his eye on the Jersey shore, and in 1962, he opened up shop in Normandy Beach. At that time "The Bait 'n' Tackle Shop" was the only game in town.

He built a reputation as an honest, knowledgeable fisherman. He loved to teach people the joy of fishing, especially children. Generations of fishermen have learned from him. His students have returned year after year with their children and grandchildren, hoping Ernie would impart a bit of his wisdom. His fishing stories have become almost legendary. While Ernie could talk a big game, he could certainly back it up. He knew his stretch of sand better than anyone. If you met Ernie on the beach, he would be sure to point you in the right direction, hand you the best lure, then head off the beach to help his wife, Charlene, at the shop. He just wanted everyone to love fishing as much as he did.

Ernie loved to quote famous authors and poets. Oliver Wendell Holmes was among his favorites. Holmes once said, "Every calling is great, when greatly pursued." Ernie found his calling at an early age, and in his pursuit, he achieved greatness. Ernie's contribution to those lucky enough to know him will last forever.

Ernie is survived by his wife, Charlene Wuesthoff of Brick; his daughters, Holly Crespo of Brick, Jeanne Merry of Toms River, and Paula Robinson of Iowa; his son, Steven Wuesthoff of Toms River; his two grandsons, William and Michael Wuesthoff, and his brother, George Wuesthoff of Atlantic Highlands. Viewing hours are from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. with a prayer service being offered at 8 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 29, 2010, at Weatherhead Young Funeral Home, 885 Mantoloking Rd., Brick, NJ 08723, (732) 920-1811.

DarkSkies
01-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Boy, was it painful to read that. :( Ernie has been around for forever. You could always count on a good story when you went into his shop in Normandy Beach. A lot of people said they were fish stories, but to me I didn't care. They were great stories just the same.

Whether you had a good or bad day fishing, even if no one else was catching, Ernie would always have something good to say. Some might call him an eternal optimist, some might say he was just trying to sell tackle. :rolleyes:

I think the real thing that Ernie did for lots of people, other than provide reports and decent intel, was to give them a link to the past. He was never too busy, never too cranky, never wanted to push you out of the store so he could go on to the next customer.

I went to his store for years just to buy his hand-tied teaser rigs. Other stores closer by had them also. I didn't have to go to Ernie's for them. But buying them from him, I was guaranteed a colorful fish story or 2 if he was there.

In recent years he was less involved in the management of the store. His years crept up on him, but he would never tell you that. His wife and granddaughter Holly did most of the day to day stuff, and he even taught Holly how to make the hand-tied teaser rigs as it became too much for his arthritic hands. :thumbsup:

Ernie was not one to complain. He may have had some health problems but you never heard him talk about it. He seemed to me to be a guy who always minimized that side of things.

Instead he would tell you his fish tales! :fishing: As he was telling them, you would think to yourself, man this story is a whopper, he has to be exaggerating, just a bit? :rolleyes: But it didn't matter. He told all his stories with such a flourish that you couldn't help but hang on every word. At least, that's the way it was for me when I went in there. :drool:

I always told people, if you go in there, make sure you give yourselves an extra 10 or 15 minutes, because you want to hear some of those fish stories.

As I reflect back on those stories, I realize for me it was less about the stories themselves, than the man telling them. His enthusiasm and love of fishing shone through every time, even as he approached his 80's.

Here's something I said about him a few years ago. we ran into him on the beach, and he was smoking like a chimney. At his age he wasn't willing to give that up, and besides, doesn't a man who makes it to his 80's deserve a few vices? :don't know why:

"Ernie Wuesthoff came out to make a few casts today, and have a smoke. God I love that guy - he's 82, and still fishes every chance he gets. If you ever go to see him, bring him some Marlboros, can't hurt him at 82 http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/wink.gif . He is truly an icon of surf fishing."

I had mentioned him in the past, but felt it was time to visit him for an update. I was in touch with his family around New Year's. He agreed to do an interview. I gave them a list of prepared questions to make it easier on him. The last I remember we were going to touch base again sometime in January. Now I see he didn't make it to the end of the month.

I missed my last chance to see him, and I regret it. He was a gentle old soul who lived the rough and tumble life of a sailor, hard living until he finally settled down. But through his whole life, he was a guy who could not be tamed. He lived by the rules of society, but he didn't let that define him. :clapping:

To anyone reading this, I would say if there is someone in your life you haven't touched base with in a while and you feel bad about it, or have just been too busy, re-consider your perspective, and call or see that person while you still can.

Tomorrow is never a guarantee for any of us. There are so many people all of us know whose lives and smiles could be brightened with just a simple phone call. All it takes is a few minutes.

2 days ago I called a family friend who I haven't talked to for a few months. He's in his 80's too, and still goes skiing. He just came back from a mini-vacation, a ski trip. He doesn't take long vacations because he's still working. His energy seems boundless, but only God knows how long he and others we know will be around. :don't know why:

So make that call, take a 1/2 hour to visit, you may be glad you did. :thumbsup:

As for Ernie, I will miss you. :( I thank you for the stories you told me and all the advice you gave along the way. To me, you were one of the true icons of surf fishing. My deepest condolences to his family. RIP Ernie. See ya on the other side.

finchaser
01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
RIP my old friend:(

He always had a kind word and a heart of gold, and lets not forget there were always fish just across the road.

Ernie was the originator of the Sneaky Pete fluke rig used exclusively in the surf.
One of the most effective bait rigs ever, written about by Milt Rosco in many of his books and how to articles.

VSdreams
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
I was one of the original Steven's Surfsters when Joe LoPresti and his wife Billy had the shop

I did a search online for Stevens Surfsters and found this post here

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5735-Legends-of-the-Salt...-Living-Legends-thread/page3
Pretty awesome finchaser, that's a lot of history. You must have great memories from that place.

DarkSkies
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
I was one of the original Steven's Surfsters when Joe LoPresti and his wife Billy had the shop

Nice research VSDreams, thanks for posting and bringing up that thread again. :thumbsup:
The Stevens Surfsters and Stevens B&T were legendary and deserve their place in Surf Fishing history.

Finchaser has shared some of the stories which I was able to relate there, but there are dozens more.... awesome fish, nights where they had such great action they didn't want to go home (and times where they actually stayed out 2 nights in a row during the tournaments). Hopefully some of these stories can be preserved and told someday in book format and not fade out in wisps of smoke and lost opportunities like was the case of Stevens B&T.....

Before he closed Stevens for good, I talked at length with Brian/Zim (who I understood bought the business from the LoPresti's or their family) when he was closing the shop. The new owner had bought the building, came in, and instantly tripled the rents for the new leases....there was no way that a guy like Brian could afford that...there's only so much bait and retail volume a little B&T like that could produce...and he had to give up the lease and close out the store....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Brian had some great deals on the stuff he couldn't keep around anymore....he advertised some of them, and some guys made out like bandits.....

My interest was the weigh-in sheets from the old days, which he had sitting in boxes and no longer had room for......

I made an appointment to pick them up, as I was going to archive them. I felt such history like that should not be thrown out....

Turns out Tommy H beat me to it....:don't know why: :moon:
He got there a few hours before me, Brian wanted them gone, so they went to him...
No hard feelings, as I consider Squidlips :HappyWave: one of the central icons to the NJ surf fishing scene...and as a retired racer, he's a helluva fiberglass boat repairer and does a lot of the side work for some key NJ marinas in his area....:thumbsup:

He took those old weigh ins sheets, and created a thread called "On This Date", where he documents online, all the catches of the old-timers...some who are still alive, and some whom are no longer with us....
I think it's a beautiful tribute to the old timers, and the way things used to be...

Maybe some of the younger guys don't have an interest in that, as they can't get excited about weigh-ins of 18" fish, but looking at those years of history will give anyone who has an interest, a sense of what striped bass fishing used to be like.....

*****Google.... Squidlips "On this Date"
to find his thread, and though I'll probably see him in the Spring, if ya happen to bump into him tell him DarkSkies sends his warmest regards...:HappyWave:

And if ya ever get a chance, buy Squidlips a beer, as he has some of the funniest and craziest stories ya ever heard, both on and off the internet....:kooky: :cool:

DarkSkies
02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
The NJ B&T shops of yesteryear are kind of like the old big 5lb cell phones that existed when they were first invented....a quaint idea, but not practical for most folks of today, when you consider that cell phones today are characterized by ounces, not pounds....:scared:

There have been many new entrants on the scene, some have stood the test of time...some have not...

Why?
Many reasons....

1. The expansion of the large retailers...Wal-Mart, ****'s, Sports Authority, even K-Mart..into this market....and now with the coastwide expansion of Cabelas and Bass Pro shops......it's been harder for the Brick and Mortar tackle shops to make a living....

2. The intermittent loyalty of customers...tackle shop customers used to be extremely loyal, knowing that if they didn't support their local tackle shop, that shop would eventually wither and fade ouf of existence.....that loyalty, for many guys, no longer exists....and this has hurt the shops.

3. Extreme pricing Variations...it's no secret that a lot of the big box retailers and online tackle shops can offer product at a substantial discount to some of the brick and mortar shops....so guys who have no loyalty gravitate toward the "deals". I'm not without sin in this behavior, and I'm sure most of us have bought tackle online, as well, at times. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

4. Lack of Understanding of Market Dynamics....I think it's fair to say a lot of guys don't understand this...,many do, but a higher % don't... when a big retailer or online presence starts to dominate a geographical area, it's the little guys that suffer the most..we've seen this with the demise of the local hardware stores, (who here remembers going into the local hardware store on a Sat morning as a kid, I do...:))..the demise of the local coffee shops and bakeries (market expansion by Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks), and the decline of local pharmacies (Walgreens and CVS taking over, we have 2 CVS and 3 Walgreens in the town I grew up in, for example)

DarkSkies
02-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Sometimes we don't care about this, we say it's "progress".
But it's not progress when we lose another tackle shop...
Just in 2010, in Monmouth County we lost 2 shops, one in Long Branch, another in Bradley Beach.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

And we lost the store operated by Tom Clayton and his son in Wall, NJ.

(I'm sure there are a lot more, feel free to chime in if you know of any....)

And in a similar way we lost Stevens B&T in Long Branch a few years ago when a new owner came in, tripled the rent, and Brian, the current owner, had to pack it in as he could no longer afford to run his business at a profit....

And what's wrong with profit? :huh:
We complain about a certain shop that has high prices for plugs...never considering how much they have to pay for the rent. lights, heat, water, and inventory....

We excitedly tell each other how we saved $10 on a reel at Cabelas, when the same reel could have been ordered for that $10 more in a local tackle shop....

And will Cabelas service that reel?
Will Wal-Mart be rebuilding your rod over the winter?
Will Bass Pro shops give you advice about where the bass are biting in your area?
Will that online retailer give you tips and tricks on how to most effectively use the killer plugs you just scored from them at a great price?

DarkSkies
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I wasn't out there fishing when Finchaser and the other old-timers were...I was chasing girls instead.,..as I was in my prime and a rather handsome devil....:laugh: :rolleyes:

Now that I'm only relatively good looking :kooky: and have found the girl of my dreams, (Pebbles) :heart: I have had more time to focus on fishing......

I'll share some of my memories of Stevens B&T, just the few I have..and maybe some of you others want to chime in about Stevens, or Giglio's. or other tackle shops you remember as a kid, the ones where all the fishermen used to gravitate towards, where all the "fish-stories" were shared, with and without exaggerations....:rolleyes: :cool:

Stevens B&T
This was only about 6 or 7 years back, relatively recently...but every time I went in there....

You had a sense that you were in a time warp....
the paint was peeling from some places on the walls,
some places looked like they hadn't been painted in decades...
There was a hodgepodge of surf stuff...
enough to keep your interest,,,,,as anything important to catch the fish that were there at that time, he had in stock in those glass counters or racks...

You also had a sense that there was no great marketing mind behind the stocking and arranging of the stuff.... I say this as a compliment rather than an insult...:thumbsup: when ya went in there, ya might get a few choice words from Brian,...but not too many.....he seemed to be a man of few words....

And the cool tunes that were always playing on the store's system,,,from 60's to 70's music, that suited me just fine...

And the pics of the surf guys who had gotten the big fish, up on the wall....

And the dog who sat in the chair, or on the floor, or wherever he wanted to sit.....

Yup, tackle shops of Yesteryear....Stevens was definitely one of em. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Some stuff on Giglio's for ya's:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?4017-Giglio-s-makes-a-welcome-comeback

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?4033-NJ-small-business-spotlight-June-2009-Giglio-s-B-amp-T-Sea-Bright

skinner
02-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Nice read dark, thanks. I was only in there once, and remember it as you said, like a step back in time. Sorry to see it will now only exist in our memories.

jigfreak
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah, and everytime it was on Zim let us know. Righteous dude. Miss that place.

plugaholic
02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I didn't know those stories. I will check out the other threads.
Thank you so much, dark.

buckethead
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Was going through old posts and came across this. Awesome history on Stevens and Giglios. Btw I think Giglios is open now. Thanks for all the info you put out there.

finchaser
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Giglios is open again 4 owners later and Joe from Stevens is dead. I still fish with one of the original guys who worked at giglio's

finchaser
01-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Here's the sneaky Pete fluke rig Ernie Wuesthoff created and perfected

buckethead
07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
We complain about a certain shop that has high prices for plugs...never considering how much they have to pay for the rent. lights, heat, water, and inventory....

We excitedly tell each other how we saved $10 on a reel at Cabelas, when the same reel could have been ordered for that $10 more in a local tackle shop....

And will Cabelas service that reel?
Will Wal-Mart be rebuilding your rod over the winter?
Will Bass Pro shops give you advice about where the bass are biting in your area?
Will that online retailer give you tips and tricks on how to most effectively use the killer plugs you just scored from them at a great price?

Hallelujiah dark. There is no substitute for the service and convenience offered by a local shop. They also know everything that is happening and what is being caught. I remember giglios all the old timers used to sit around and brag about their best bass. If you were quiet you could nudge in and gain some intel. Those were the real sharpies back before that name even existed. You can't get that level of intel and service in a cabelas or bass pro.

captnemo
12-12-2013, 06:18 PM
The old Giglios was a throwback to a bygone era. Things were much simpler. Fishing was hard and there was not much in the way of electronics and internet information we have today. We had to go out and look for fish or signs of feeding birds. If you had a network of friends you used it. This was before cell phones. Information was relayed at the docks or actually picking up a phone at night and calling your friends and seeing how they did that day. Phones that had the bell ring tone. Does anyone recall those phones?

finchaser
03-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Reel Life B&T in Point Pleasant filed chapter 11 and doors were locked up by the sheriffs department yesterday.

jigfreak
03-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Wow I heard Rich was in trouble but I had no idea it was that bad.
Remember this the next time you fellas drool over the new cabelas or basspro coming to the area. We need local mom and pop shops. close them down and you have the death of a tradition.

finchaser
03-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Was from a bad real-estate deal in Florida that put him in a hole he never climbed out of and the shop couldn't save him. But I agree whole heartedly about supporting local businesses and not the big box stores

ledhead36
03-14-2015, 05:13 PM
This is true look at T&A tackle that was on Rt 35 in middletown. Store has been closed for years. Sure it was in a bad location and others like the tackle box and julians took up the slack. We all lose when a local shop closes. Shame, sorry to hear.

cowherder
03-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Sorry to hear. Another one bites the dust. And you have guys online openly drooling about the new basspro or something or other in atlantic city? I wonder how many local tackle shops will be put out of business once they open?

hookset
03-15-2015, 04:06 PM
It's real tough to make it as a B&T today. Jack at Surfside closed up too. He had a robbery a while ago and after that it was curtains. It sucks because he was so close to the water and convenient. I know Giglios is up the road. You still hate to learn of a local closing the doors.

jigfreak
03-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Story from the app

Iconic Point Pleasant Bait & Tackle Shop Closes Its Doors
By Daniel Nee March 15, 2015

A bait and tackle shop known for being open 24 hours a day, seven days a week has now closed its doors for the final time.
The staff of Reel Life Bait and Tackle on Bridge Avenue in Point Pleasant said their final farewells Saturday, announcing that the store would be closing.

Rich Przewoznik opened the store on Memorial Day weekend in 1989, then moved the store down Bridge Avenue to its current location four years later, his son, Bob, said in a post to the store’s Facebook page Saturday night. Reel Life quickly became one of the busiest tackle shops on the eastern seaboard, long noted for staying open 24 hours a day all summer and during striped bass season.
“Rich used to say, because the fish don’t know what time it is,” the post said.

The post did not give a specific reason why the store was closing, but said the shop is “now in the past.” For the past several weekends, the store has been hosting large sales of its inventory, though most people in the local fishing community did not know about the impending closure.
“We are for ever grateful to our loyal customers,” the announcement said.

Customers remembered the personal service in the comments section of the post announcing the closure.
“Reel Life stayed in business for as long as it did for a reason,” a customer named Matt wrote. “Besides being a top-notch shop, Rich treated his customers well and his love of fishing showed. I have good memories of hanging around the store as a kid when you first opened and kept coming back on the occasions I’d get to fish in the area as an adult.”

Does anyone remember when they were open 24 hours a day during the season? No one else did that. Gonna miss those guys. Sorry to see you go Rich.
Remember that when you salivate in your posts about the latest Cabelas!

jigfreak
03-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Sorry to hear. Another one bites the dust. And you have guys online openly drooling about the new basspro or something or other in atlantic city? I wonder how many local tackle shops will be put out of business once they open?

I posted before reading this. Agree 100%.

surferman
03-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Wow open all night for fishermen. who does that today? Never heard of them but it's still a sad story anyway.

voyager35
03-22-2015, 04:18 AM
Rich was a good guy. Always willing to shoot the breeze and hook you up. I just discovered they leveled the Cottage Inn in Keyport as well. Sad news.

finchaser
03-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Yep Rich and Bob took all the good stuff out of shop put a sign up see you in the Spring, then claimed chapter 11. Went to the Somerset show sold everything they could. The rumor from last week is probably true as he is scheduled to reopen in a month under a new name. Poor old friend Rich :waaah:

plugcrazy
03-24-2015, 08:57 AM
That seems like a sneaky move to make? Either you are in bankruptcy or you are not.

finchaser
03-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Reel Life will remain closed his investor backed out after hearing all the stuff being said it would not be in his best interest

hookedonbass
08-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Add Meltzers to the list of Jersey Tackle shops that go the way of the pony express.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?10136-Betty-and-Nicks

jigfreak
08-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Bummer. Whenever a local tackle shop closes we all lose. One day there will be a Di-cks or bass pro or cabelas in every major city. Each of these big shops takes a certain % of business from the smaller ones. Can you get real quality surf rigging info from the kid at Di-cks or cabelas? Think about it because this is the ghost of christmas future.

finchaser
08-13-2015, 04:32 AM
Di_k's is for sale

Reel Seat Brielle we have everything 4000 square foot shop also internet sales we will ship it to you

DarkSkies
08-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Well-said, jigfreak...:HappyWave:

I tried to help someone out with something the other day.....he said to me....
"Rich every year the circle of fishing friends I know......gets smaller and smaller....it's sad when you think about how many are gone....and how quickly we forget about them...."

I would suggest to you folks out there...that the same applies to local tackle shops....
Many will gripe about how it's cheaper to buy on the internet.....I think in this modern age we are a little guilty of comparison internet shopping....no need to point fingers....I think we have all done it.....

But...how many have gone into a tackle shop looking for intel....
Even some of the most accomplished Surf Guides and Charter Capts can be periodically found in tackle shops, sheepishly asking for intel, when they are in a fish finding slump......

What would happen, at the end of the day...if the only tackle shops that were left.....were big box retailers like the ones mentioned above?

So let's all do our best...to try to patronize the smaller shops....we all know most of them can't compete on price...and we shouldn't expect that...generally speaking.....

The knowledge, service, and depth of experience available in smaller shops......is incomparible.....

You can see Jim Cousins, veteran old-timer at Giglio's in Sea Bright.....the last I remember he was working there every Monday.
Or go see that grouchy basstid Finchaser at the Reel Seet in Brielle.... :HappyWave:
He's there every Wednesday......and much kinder and gentler when he's working for Dave.....

He's still a grouchier basstid in real life.:argue:....you would only get to see that if you are lucky enough to fish with him...:laugh: :kiss: :HappyWave:

buckethead
08-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Very well put. A closed shop leaves a void in the community.

finchaser
08-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Rich did it to himself with bad real-estate investments in the Florida Keys that the tackle store couldn't cover.

DarkSkies
08-14-2015, 12:40 PM
^ I think Rich also bought vacation land up in Canada as well.........We all make mistakes in life...pal......I bet you didn't realize what a fateful mistake it was when ya gave me your phone # 10 long years ago.......:scared: :ROFLMAO :kiss: :HappyWave:

finchaser
08-14-2015, 09:59 PM
^ I think Rich also bought vacation land up in Canada as well.........We all make mistakes in life...pal......I bet you didn't realize what a fateful mistake it was when ya gave me your phone # 10 long years ago.......:scared: :ROFLMAO :kiss: :HappyWave:

:scared::upck:

porgy75
10-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Every year it's another one. Just went to go to Jacks in Long branch last weekend and didn't realize he was out of business. Should have read this thread first.

DarkSkies
05-27-2016, 07:55 AM
I thought for the holiday weekend it was a good time to bring this thread to the top.
There are still some great shops out there. Giglio's in Sea Bright is one of them. I chatted with Ernie a few weeks ago when he did an emergency repair for a rod tip I had busted...googan mistake...

when you're out there this weekend with some extra dollars to spend, please consider spending it in the small mom-and-pop shops. That's all we have left to the past.... and they will be gone faster than you blink your eyes if we don't patronize them. Thanks

VSdreams
05-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Well said.

captnemo
09-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Effinger's is the latest one, closing in December.
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/money/business/main-street/2016/09/30/efinger-sporting-goods-closing-its-doors/91315232/

jigfreak
11-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Add L&H woods and water to the list.
http://lhwoodsandwater.com/
Was there over the weekend. They sold most of the inventory already. Sad to see it go.

finchaser
11-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Add L&H woods and water to the list.
http://lhwoodsandwater.com/
Was there over the weekend. They sold most of the inventory already. Sad to see it go.

They have lots of money they use to own L&H plumbing and sold it to Fergusons for over 400 million this was a hobby John bought his son Eric
Come see us up the street at the Reel Seat

hookset
11-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Reel Seat is the schizzle! So much stuff for surf guys. Racks and racks. If there was a like button here would hit it.:thumbsup:

fishgutz
03-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Amazon and the 2 big outdoors retailers are really crushing the mom and pop stores. Another one closed on the Cape last year. You can't get local fishing advise from a big box.

fishgutz
03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
so true