PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey fishing reports for March 2009

bunkerjoe4
02-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

bunkerjoe4
02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Folks, the 2009 NJ striped bass season officially starts tomorrow. For the most part, the early season bass pursuit is a bait fishery. We are in for some windy and cold weather for the next few days. Hypothermia can set in quickly for those who are not prepared for the drastic temperature changes. The first fish caught will be in the 2 to 3 year age class, most all under 28". Please handle these fish with care. Using circle hooks is not only the responsible thing to do, it is the right thing. This is another reminder that we will re-start our plug give-away contest, where once a month I will give away a custom plug in a random drawing for those who have posted in the fishing reports. Remember that posting a report, even if you did not catch anything, is a good way to contribute to our community and help your fellow fishermen. Some folks live far from the water, and they use these reports to gauge whether or not to make the long expensive drive to go fishing. I thank you again for your input and lively banter.

You are all a good group of folks. I am so impressed we made it through our first year without the shouting and whining we sometimes see elsewhere. Kudos to all the anglers, veterans, and the ones who are just learning, for helping to grow this site into a reasonable place to come and learn about striped bass and other fishing.

Please be careful out there, folks. Good luck! :)

LennyD
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Good Luck to everyone for 2009 season!!!
See you guys out there! :fishing:

LennyD

wish4fish
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
3 hours yesterday morning, high tide through the outgoing. clams in the back by a crick. one tap. it was prolly a tiny fish by the way that tap felt, nothing reeled in. :skunk:

paco33
03-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I had a clam pole out there too yesterday, nada. A few people were out where I was, but I didn't see one person catch anything.

wish4fish
03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
went clamming for 2 hours after work today. way back rb. the water was still cold and I thought it would be warmer. nothing, I think we need a day or 2 or more sun, someone should catch a fish somewhere in the back by sunday.

paco33
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey guys, any news of keeper bass being caught ANYWHERE in Jersey right now? thanks

clamchucker
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I heard some reports down south Jersey, but nothing actually confirmed by anyone I trust. There are small fish now, and they are feeding. Reports of larger ones will start to trickle in.

wish4fish
03-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey guys, any news of keeper bass being caught ANYWHERE in Jersey right now? thanks

there was at least one someone caught this week. heard it was radioactive, lol.:rolleyes:

DarkSkies
03-06-2009, 10:01 PM
^ Doesn't stop people from catchin em though. That place was very cold this winter, guess the water temps are back up again.:D

storminsteve
03-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I know some people who got some down south near the inside coast of NJ, Delaware bay area. Small fish on clams. I went out this morning rb and soaked a few clams, nothing. :don't know why:

porgy75
03-07-2009, 08:24 PM
There was at least one someone caught this week. Heard it was radioactive, lol.:rolleyes:

Because of what they eat?

LennyD
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Sat. evening O.Creek , nada.:fishing:

zev
03-08-2009, 06:55 PM
is the warm water flowing?

wish4fish
03-08-2009, 07:19 PM
possibly, dude.;) there was a transformer on a barge for awhile, water is warming up again. nothing consistent, except for the glowing water.:scared:

"because of what they eat? "
no because of where they eat.:D

DarkSkies
03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Only had a short while to fish tonight, so I hit a new place close by. Mudflats, near some deeper water. Didn't have time for clams, or to go where I really wanted to set up. When I started the wind was E/NE, would have been a perfect recipe for bait fishin.

I see the water in both bays is in the 40's overall, where I was it felt like somewhere in the 50's. Threw a chicken scratch bomber for a bit, it felt good to be out there. The fish weren't there yet, they should be soon. ;)

buckethead
03-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Joe are you still offering the plug giveaways once a month for those who post reports? I hope to win one of those "sweet babies" this year.:lookhappy:

bunkerjoe4
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes Buckethead -- you qualify to win a plug whether you caught a fish or not. Post a report if you went fishing, and you're in. :)

cowherder
03-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Fished RB today after work. Clams, zip. :skunk: It was nice and warm out there.

DarkSkies
03-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Started out to go fishing yesterday. The first things on the plate were finding new tapeworm spots, and the adult bunker. I mucked around in a lot of places doing that, bloodworms are now a buck apiece, they don't last too long. Covered a lot of ground scouting. After I figured that stuff out, time was fleeting and not much time left to fish. It's good to see the bunker are around, seems a bit earlier than last year.

The last pace I ended up at they only caught some small bass on bloodworms. Wed and Thur fish were caught to 38" on bloodworms, someone nailed a keeper on clams in a shallower place.

Fish are hitting bait, but still sluggish, light hitters. The difference in temps between the wide open water and the shallower flats is anywhere from 5-12 degrees. A lot of guys are playing the waiting game and getting nothing, but they're tryin. The day bite seems better than the night for now. At least it's worth it to be out there, it was for me. :fishing:

DarkSkies
03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Fished RB tonight 7-8:30pm, incoming.
There's one area where a few reports are starting to come from. I didn't want to fish in a crowd, so I went to somewhere a little away from there. It was nice to have the whole spot to myself, not another soul in sight. :D

The water was a little cold, no sun to warm it up today. One pole for clams, another for blood and tapeworms. I spazzed out and only brought 3oz sinkers wiht me, so I ended up throwing without the sinker. :bucktooth: The fish are hitting light, and the water is so calm, that 1/2 to 1 oz sinker with fishfinder rig is more than sufficient for the back.

Nothing, not even a tap. It was a beautiful night to fish, no breeze at all, calm water, and mild temps. My first official bait fishing excursion for the season. Felt great to be out there, really helped to recharge my batteries. :thumbsup:

cowherder
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I fished Raritan bay this morning using clams. I started before sunrise, and got 2 very light hits around when the sun came up. I couldn't hook them, and was wondering if you guys are using circle or regular hooks at this time of year?

wish4fish
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
cowherder, downsize your hooks for now 5-7, you might want to go to regular hooks, or only fish one pole, hold it in your hand for that light hit. clamming the last 2 days after work, nothing to show for it. :skunk: swiss got some keepers, i'll have to fish harder. :cool:

clamchucker
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
You also might increase your success using a high/low clam rig cowherder. As wish4 said, you should be holding the pole in your hand, or remain very close to it. The hits are quick and light.

wish4fish
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
out back last night, one skinny rat on clams, 26". where are the fat fish?:wow:

cowherder
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
cowherder, downsize your hooks for now 5-7, you might want to go to regular hooks, or only fish one pole, hold it in your hand for that light hit. clamming the last 2 days after work, nothing to show for it. :skunk: swiss got some keepers, i'll have to fish harder. :cool:

I did downsize my hooks, thanks guys.:HappyWave: Fished this morning in the back of raritan bay, it was snowing! The skunk followed me, but this time I held the pole. When mama bass comes by I'll be ready!:fishing:

DarkSkies
03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
RB 5-8am. middle of the ebb. Fresh clams, little breezy, 3 oz to hold bottom. Wind died down around daylight, it wasn't that bad. Perfect conditions, wind blowing waves onshore, some snow and rain, but no fish. I did some scouting after that, seems it was pretty slow today, a few small fish caught in the places I visited. Drove to the ocean, water temps there are 44 today. Great day to be out.

LennyD
03-21-2009, 07:48 AM
RB last evening, used fresh clams and B.worms. Fished outgoing tide, landed my 1st keeper, 31" , few other bumps.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6658/sspx0188.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sspx0188.jpg)

LennyD
03-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Hit the beach again this morning, few bumps and 1 nice bite. No fish. Frigid cold. :boring:

DarkSkies
03-21-2009, 11:23 AM
WTG Lenny! Nice fish! Did you get that fish right near the top of the outgoing or closer to sundown? :clapping::thumbsup:

plugcrazy
03-21-2009, 12:00 PM
:clapping::clapping:Nice keeper LennyD!

cowherder
03-21-2009, 12:05 PM
:thumbsup:Nice going Lenny, did you get that one on clams, or the bloodworms?

bababooey
03-21-2009, 12:24 PM
:clapping: for Lenny. Dark, still waiting to hear about your first keeper.;):HappyWave: Me, I'll wait until the end of April when the water is warmer. Keep em coming guys.:D

LennyD
03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
WTG Lenny! Nice fish! Did you get that fish right near the top of the outgoing or closer to sundown? :clapping::thumbsup:

Hey R!
Top of the outgoing!
:scared:

LennyD
03-21-2009, 01:49 PM
:thumbsup:Nice going Lenny, did you get that one on clams, or the bloodworms?

Hey cowherder!
the answer is clams.:dribble:

fishinmission78
03-21-2009, 02:09 PM
:thumbsup:Nice fish Lenny. I have been fishing Barnegat Bay, only a few small runts to 25" so far. My buddy was out front in OC one day last week when it was real sunny, he got 2 small bass on shads, but after that, nothing. It's still as little cold, but at least we're out there.

LennyD
03-21-2009, 02:48 PM
That's right fishinmission78, its great to be out there again. we have the whole year ahead of us, lots of fishing, great times by the water.

cowherder
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey cowherder!
the answer is clams.:dribble:

Thanks Lenny, I fished Raritan Bay with clams tonight until sunset, got 2 taps on the rod as I was holding it, didn't hook anything. I'll get him next time.

DarkSkies
03-22-2009, 07:20 AM
:clapping: for Lenny. Dark, still waiting to hear about your first keeper.;):HappyWave: Me, I'll wait until the end of April when the water is warmer. Keep em coming guys.:D

Would you like us to catch the fish for you, fillet them, and start them on the grill in order for you to leave the house to go fishin? I don't mind strikin out, as long as I'm in the game. Ya can't catch a fish on a couch, man. :plastered:

wish4fish
03-22-2009, 08:30 AM
shooting gallery last night, line em up, lol. 6 bass to 28", most were smaller, eating clams like it was their last meal. All put back ds check your email.:wheeeee:

DarkSkies
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
^ Yeah I went to the shooting gallery tonight after the Somerset show. Could only stay awhile, had to get back home to post today's show reports. Thankfully the bite wasn't as good as yesterday, otherwise tomorrow it would be like opening day of trout season. :kooky:

A few RB keepers were caught 2 hours before I got there, biggest around 12, smallest around 8. I'll post a pic of the guy's 12 when I d/l the other pics.

Only one short caught before I left, and some other shorties prior to. They're hitting at different times and tide stages, no rhyme or reason. I have been trying to fish around high tide, but that ain't always working.

If you have a pole in your hand when they come by, you'll hook up. I saw a guy who almost lost his pole in the water because he wasn't standing close enough when he got hit. That's the Murphy's Law of fishing, you'll get hit when you divert your attention, or take a few secs to take a leak, and Bang! you're it! ;)

(I checked the chart, at 32" it might have been more than 12#, but I try not to exaggerate weights.)

This is what one report that's too specific does, 75 people on a 350' section of beach. :wheeeee:

LennyD
03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
This is what one report that's too specific does, 14 people on a 75' section of beach. :wheeeee:

Thats why i dont post the locations, i hate that.
Same thing happened to me, i caught a keeper and the dude next to me walk to me while i unhook the fish and he stands right in my footsteps...??:kooky:
Or had a keeper and the dude calls his buddies to spread the news, what a....??:argue:
Some people just dont know how to respect other fishermans space.

Monty
03-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Not my seen.
I would rather go fishless than be in a crowd like that.
You are correct, some people show no respect.

Thats why i dont post the locations, i hate that.
Same thing happened to me, i caught a keeper and the dude next to me walk to me while i unhook the fish and he stands right in my footsteps...??:kooky:
Or had a keeper and the dude calls his buddies to spread the news, what a....??:argue:
Some people just dont know how to respect other fishermans space.

DarkSkies
03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Not my seen.
I would rather go fishless than be in a crowd like that.
You are correct, some people show no respect.

Lenny and Monty, I agree. When I see a crowd, I might say hi to the guys I know and bs for awhile. After, I would rather move to a place close to that that has the same conditions that drew the guys to that spot in the first place (other than an internet report). That's why scouting at low tide is essential for back bay areas. The book of fishing knowledge is right there in front of you, open your eyes and drink it all in. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

bababooey
03-24-2009, 10:46 AM
When I see a crowd, I might say hi to the guys I know and bs for awhile.

Dude, I don't think it's possible to get into a conversation with you "for awhile". It's more like an olympic marathon.:eek: :laugh: ;)

wish4fish
03-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Would you like us to catch the fish for you, fillet them, and start them on the grill in order for you to leave the house to go fishin? I don't mind strikin out, as long as I'm in the game. Ya can't catch a fish on a couch, man. :plastered:

:clapping::clapping::clapping: fished raritan tonight from sundown till 9 struck out on the clams. :skunk:

LennyD
03-25-2009, 04:10 PM
fished RB last evening, incoming tide, lotta strikes, only 1 short.

LennyD
03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
I forgot to tell you that, yesterday when i shopped for bait 2 out of 3 bait shop was closed. What ....? :burn:

DarkSkies
03-26-2009, 09:39 AM
"fished RB last evening, incoming tide, lotta strikes, only 1 short"
Water temps are down, now might be a good time to fish the top of the outgoing where water comes out from. (That didn't work for me last week, BTW):D This weather pattern coming in today should produce some fish, wish I didn't have to work. :fishing:

I forgot to tell you that, yesterday when i shopped for bait 2 out of 3 bait shop was closed. What ....? :burn:

A lot of the places close earlier on the weeknights until the season gets into full swing. That was one of the problems with T&A, they would close 1/2 hour early when they felt like it. Pretty frustrating.

wish4fish
03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
chucked some stinky clams after work in the back, 1 shortie around 24, wheres the bigger fish? :drool:

cowherder
03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I was out early today RB fishing with clams, only one tap, no fish. The skunk followed me there or he followed me home. Either way I got no fish.:skunk:

DarkSkies
03-27-2009, 03:34 PM
chucked some stinky clams after work in the back, 1 shortie around 24, wheres the bigger fish? :drool:

Hey at least you're tryin. Clams are king right now until the bunker start to fill in more. I got a friend who's a maniac plugger, caught more 40's last year than anyone I know. He's too impatient to play with clams, he's more hyper than me, gotta keep moving.

The other night he broke down and was fishin clams with everyone else. Now you gotta go to confession, man, youre a CLAM DUNKER!!! :ROFLMAO: :HappyWave:

ledhead36
03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Fished RB last night one short on clams.

storminsteve
03-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Fished in the back of Raritan bay from 7-9 tonight. I had one pole with clams, one solid hit, no hookup. There were a lot of guys back there, I only saw one rat caught. The water temperatures were around 44 degrees with a cheap thermometer I used.

wish4fish
03-28-2009, 11:30 PM
water was hot tonight dudes, beach way too crowded. 5 bass in an hour in the back, 26-28, a few other guys got some nicer ones. snotballs.

DarkSkies
03-29-2009, 06:41 AM
^ Nice, W4F. :thumbsup:

storminsteve
03-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Fished 6 hours in the rain last night in the back of Raritan. We were using clams. There was a flurry of activity around 11pm. I got 1 bass 29", my friend got one, and some other guys got some, then it died. I hope this rain doesn't mess things up.

LennyD
03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Fished few hrs last night in various locations, only 1 bump.

wish4fish
03-29-2009, 10:52 PM
2 fish tonight before the rain, one 24, one 30", rb. Man that thunder was scary, lol:scared:

porgy75
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Fished RB last night one bump with clams. I'm new at this so I'll keep trying.

LennyD
03-30-2009, 05:21 PM
2 fish tonight before the rain, one 24, one 30", rb. Man that thunder was scary, lol:scared:

Nice job W4F!
Looks like you are on the good!
:)

wish4fish
03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice job W4F!
Looks like you are on the good!
:)

dude that dont even count, im so mad, my buddies crushed them big time. I thought it was over and went home.:beatin:back out again tonight but the water looks like chocolate milk, might be for nuttin who knows:fishing:

DarkSkies
03-30-2009, 10:39 PM
dude that dont even count, im so mad, my buddies crushed them big time. I thought it was over and went home.:beatin:back out again tonight but the water looks like chocolate milk, might be for nuttin who knows:fishing:

Yup, I got out too late, luck of the draw. Fished 5-7am in RB, one small bass around 27" at sunrise, nothing after that. Beautiful sunrise. A strong S wind 20-30mph muddied up the water. Later it turned west, still breezy.

I thought that would bring the temps down, but it went to 51 today.:plastered: Just checked and it went down to 48 and is spiking up again. Only 2 more weeks of solid bass fishin till the blues are here. (maybe sooner, heard some bluefish rumors today) :fishing:

LennyD
03-31-2009, 06:28 AM

Hey W4F, maybe u van give me some idea where to try, just PM me, cuz i cant, u blocked. Heading down wed. night.
Thanx!
Lennyd:)

paco33
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I went out to the back of raritan bay yesterday afternoon to try some clamming. I fished until sundown and didn't get any bumps. There were about 10 guys fishing along the beach. Lots of cormorants were diving also, but no fish were caught.:skunk:

DarkSkies
03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Well I'm 0 for 3 for keepers.

Some small fish this season, but the 20's and 25's elude me so far. Fished 3:30-6:30 this morning in the bay. Wind was hard NNW, pretty stiff. I think it kept a lot of guys home. A buddy got 2 keepers around 2 am before I showed up, and went home. The water was skinny by the time I set up, so I moved a few places and waded.

At the last place I was about 500 feet out in a place that gave me a lee from the wind. I was hoping the fish would show, but not even a tap for me, not this time. It was good to have a heated truck to get back to after the cold wind. The water wasn't that cold though, it's definitely heating up. Better nights ahead. :thumbsup:

zev
03-31-2009, 11:36 PM
first guys of the season tonite on the incoming. 3 fish to 25". water temp 50. strong wind from the east had the current ripping. figured out these hacky fish wanted the chernobyl green shads under the moon. got real lucky when i hit myslef in the eye with one. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/redface.gif http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/cwm31.gif like i got punched.. hate it when they are hittin rite in front of you and the wind caused too much slack, didnt see where it was coming from.

had the last fish go airborne, almost jumped into my buddies arms practically, he thought i threw the fish at him!

http://w.com

mick2360
04-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Nice report, Zev. Glad that you are okay, I've had a couple of narrow misses. Seems like you solved the equation of what the fish wanted, at least for last night. Good job.

wish4fish
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
first guys of the season tonite on the incoming. 3 fish to 25". water temp 50. strong wind from the east had the current ripping. figured out these hacky fish wanted the chernobyl green shads under the moon. got real lucky when i hit myslef in the eye with one. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/redface.gif http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/cwm31.gif like i got punched.. hate it when they are hittin rite in front of you and the wind caused too much slack, didnt see where it was coming from.

had the last fish go airborne, almost jumped into my buddies arms practically, he thought i threw the fish at him!

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3479/mar31st09.jpg

man u are lucky zev that spanish dude smashed a sinker back in his head last year and killed himself:scared: nice fish tho! i only got one last night it was a shortie the bunker came in and never got close enough for us to do some damage:burn:

SharkHart
04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Was full on for me in SNJ, heavy concentration of fish on some flats at night. Not that i care that much but my fish to 27.5" ha ha but lots of fiesty schoolies and slot sized.

DarkSkies
04-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Zev, you won the plug in the March random drawing. Thanks for posting. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

Here's a pic, pm me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

I can't remember which color I stuck in the envelope, but it will be a Davis plug, made by Glen Davis.

He makes great plugs that catch fish, and has been doing it for a bunch of years now.

Link to Davis plugs:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6343&thumb=1&d=1238967830 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6343&d=1238967830)