PDA

View Full Version : Businessmen step up to buy trout, save youth fishing events

strikezone31
03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
It is nice to people who want to help keep fishing alive for the kids.

Businessmen step up to buy trout, save youth fishing events

By Tony Burchyns/Times-Herald staff writer

Posted: 03/05/2009 01:02:26 AM PST

After learning that upcoming youth fishing events were threatened, two Vallejo business owners donated $1,250 apiece this week to stock Lake Chabot with trout.

The donations will likely save the Urban Fishing Program events at the Vallejo lake -- a school program March 28 and the Gone Fishing Derby from 8 to 11 a.m. March 29.

A state purchasing hold had prevented the California Department of Fish and Game from stocking the lake, forcing local organizers to consider canceling the events.

A Times-Herald article about the problem Tuesday helped reel in the sponsors, organizers said. "Thanks to the efforts of local sponsors, it looks like it is going to happen," said Ethan Rotman, coordinator of the Department of Fish and Game's Urban Fishing Program for the Bay Area. "I have a (trout) vendor on line to deliver."

The sponsors are Kenneth Ingersoll, owner of Gracie's Cantina, and Raymond Prather, owner of Victory Stores.

"It's important for kids to have these outdoor activities," said Ingersoll, the father of six. "Other communities have so much more to offer families and kids. I would hate to see one more program go away."

Prather said he was impressed by the program because it offers a unique opportunity for Vallejo's youth to learn to fish.

"When Ken told me about it, and told me how much they needed, I said, 'Hey, we could put our money together and help them,' " Prather said.

"I always figure you got to reinvest into Vallejo," he added.

The Greater Vallejo Recreation District's eighth annual Gone Fishing Derby is a catch-and-release event for kids age 5 to 15. Check-in is at 7 a.m. March 29 at the Lake Chabot boat ramp at Dan Foley Park.

Pre-registration is required: Visit the GVRD main office at 395 Amador St. or call (707) 648-4611.

Participants may bring their own rods, reels and bait.
Loaner rods will be provided for youngsters who do not have fishing poles.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_11841678

albiealert
03-07-2009, 07:31 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping: