PDA

View Full Version : Pikie and Mustang

Monty
03-06-2009, 11:53 PM
A couple of great looking plugs by Rip Plugger.
Nice work!! I'm liken the colors too.

Pikie[Rip Plugger version],6.6 inches,2.5 oz.,light grey under satin black with
silver sparkles,custom tied treble

Mustang,7 inches,black over light grey custom mixed acrylic paint,silver
accents,silver sparkles,2.75 oz

DarkSkies
03-07-2009, 07:16 AM
nice :thumbsup:

fishinmission78
03-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice looking plugs. So Monty, what's the difference in the action, one looks a little slimmer in the back, but that could be due to the shadowing of the paint. Do you know?

Rip-Plugger
03-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice looking plugs. So Monty, what's the difference in the action, one looks a little slimmer in the back, but that could be due to the shadowing of the paint. Do you know?

F&M,

the pikie has a waggle with no wobble,it is my 1st attempt at doing a pikie.
the mustang has a waggle too but also a hint of wobble.
mind you,most of my pieces are not round,they are built more like a ships hull.with the bottom sort of like a u shape thats stretched out along the bottom and curved on top or even flat or both.
I tend to think of a plug as a ship should behave in rough water,it should move about in such a manner.
the pikie's shape is far from round,it's oval if you look at it from the ront dead on.the tail arae is blended into a round shape but not fully.so it has a stability with a low gravity center and a low height compared to it's length.
I use a stanp-up belt sander to do all my shaping a lathe can't do that.
at times I may find a piece of wood thats heavy I'll use it and with the ships hull shape it will be stable and will not dive too deep,also it will cast faar.
the mustang is actually sort of a tall square shaped if you look at it dead on.
it's sides from the nose to about 3/4ths the way back are nearly square but I put a heavy roundness on all for corners so it has a smooth shape with sides that are almost flat.it also rides in the water very nice because the wood is sort of heavy but not too much.
it has good bouyancy and from my tub test it does not dive too much,I'll have to see in real life water with rips and such.
watching a tug pull an empty ship out from port gave me the inspiration to use the hull shape,the empty ships hull was more visible and I tought to try it,I found out it works,along with Monty!

cheers
R-P

DarkSkies
03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
F&M,

the pikie has a waggle with no wobble,it is my attempt at doing a pikie.
the mustang has a waggle too but also a hint of wobble.

it has good bouyancy and from my tub test it does not dive too much,I'll have to see in real life water with rips and such.
watching a tug pull an empty ship out from port gave me the inspiration to use the hull shape,the empty ships hull was more visible and I tought to try it,I found out it works,along with Monty!

cheers
R-P

Waggle, wobble, wobble waggle, I don't know how ya keep all this stuff in your head. :laugh:
Man, I would love to see a video of you on youtube in your shop makin plugs. I wish I had a videocam, I would come up there and we could set it up.

Put a mask on ya, call ya the Masked avenger, the Howling Heavy Hooksetter or the Mad Genius Rip-Plugger, and let the video rip. :HappyWave:

Rip-Plugger
03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
yeah DS,

my boss watched me turn a plug from a solid block of pine one day after work,he was amazed at how true it was.he said I was either a total nutjob or full on genius,I told him I was both.
I have a riot doing it.

R-P

buckethead
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Great plugs R-P! It's cool to see that you try different styles. Nice work!

Sephus3
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Love that you keep the paint job simple. (not to say you do a simple, basic paint job) but that I have trouble doing it myself. I get carried away and forget that plain white, black yellow or whatever gets the job done:) Your lure will catch fish for sure:thumbsup:

:plastered:

Rip-Plugger
03-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Great plugs R-P! It's cool to see that you try different styles. Nice work!

Thanks buckethead,I try to be diff in all aspects of my life!

R-P

Rip-Plugger
03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Love that you keep the paint job simple. (not to say you do a simple, basic paint job) but that I have trouble doing it myself. I get carried away and forget that plain white, black yellow or whatever gets the job done:) Your lure will catch fish for sure:thumbsup:

:plastered:

thanks Sephus3,I love keeping it simple!

R-P