PDA

View Full Version : Asbury Park Fishing Club Flea Market

DarkSkies
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Hit the Asbury show today. I thought it was a little less crowded than last year. There was a good flow of people throughout. If you were a vendor looking for a high traffic day, this was it. People came from all over, and it seemed most everyone leaving had something in a bag. Due to the economy people may have bought less, or more carefully.

The logic of going in there with a plan sometimes gets tossed out the window when you're faced with all the different plug styles and builders. :kooky::dribble::viking::bigeyes: I managed to escape with only one plug I got for myself, a bargain $10 wood swimmer from the LI guyz from LIBBA.:HappyWave:

Along with the sick paint and different styles from the who's who in the plug world, there were some deals to be had if you could distract yourself for a few seconds and focus. :laugh:

CharlieK had a select few unused Habs for sale, and also a few tubs of unfinished plugs that could be had for as little as $3.

In all, it seems like everyone had a good time, no screaming or shouting, and a good vibe inside and outside.

I'm kinda sorry I had to much to do today, cause with the wind blowin N/NE, I know someone was catchin fish somewhere. Hope everyone got what they wanted. The Asbury club put on a top shelf show.:clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
03-08-2009, 11:25 PM
The lighting in there sucked big time, so the best shots were the closeups. If I took your pic and ya don't see it, it's because it looked lousy or blurry. I also tried to eliminate any pics where people had goofy faces or closed eyes.:bucktooth: Builders not up here in the pics, let me know and I'll try to hit ya up at the next show you're at.

Any details I got wrong, PM me and I'll edit.

It was cool to see some people I haven't seen a long time, and I missed runnin into some others. The most noticable thing to me was that Gary Hull wasn't there anymore. I could close my eyes and see him from past shows, but then I had to open them and come back to reality. :(

It was kinda sad, really. I wouldn't be so presumptious as to count myself as among Gary's circle of friends, though I did meet him a few times. I admired his work, but I don't own anything by Gary2, I own very few custom plugs.

What I admired most about him was that he extended his advice and help to anyone who asked, whether it be about plug building, or fishing. I will always be grateful for the few times I did meet him. :thumbsup:

Sometimes we take people, and their health, for granted. We think they'll be around forever, or at least another year or 2. Nothing is guaranteed on this earth, so treasure the people in your life while you can. RIP Gary, and all the otheer surf fishermen and old time anglers we have lost in the past few years.

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Met the guy from Luna Lures. He's a member of the Asbury club. Think he said he's been doing this for a year or 2, name is Nick

Don't know anything about his plugs, never fished em, but have seen some positive feedback here and there about them. Nice meetin ya, man. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Bob from Sunset lures. Relatively new to the scene. His plugs range from $15-25.

Among his biggest influences:
Billy McFadden, whom he called one of the "most sharing guys, with the biggest heart".
He's also been iinfluenced and inspired by Bill Lindner and Lefty.

Nice meetin ya. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Mike Fixter from California is an established guy, has a good rep in the plug world. I never met him, heard a lot about him. Was looking forward to meeting him, but instead got to meet Dave who was workin his table.

Dave's a musky nut, the guy could write books about muskie fishin. But why would he? it would take away from his fishin time.;) :thumbsup:

I never fished Fixter's plugs. He makes some huge stuff, some of em must have been over 5oz or more. Price ranges from $25-40. After checking out the plugs, I could see why musky and salt guys hold Mike in high regard. People say they're built to take punishment, and then some. Nice to finally meet ya, Dave.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Joe from Bodega Bay lures, out of Cali, aka Sporty Guy. He's been into this for 6 or 7 years now, and said one of his biggest influences was Chumbucket.

Chumbucket is one of the humblest guys you would ever want to meet. First tiime I met hiim, I said someting about what masterpieces his work was. He just shrugged it off, like he didn't want to feed into the ego thing too much. :clapping: Meanwhile, guys all around say what a helpful resource he has been to the plug building community, and how generous he is with his advice. I don't think you could find one person on this earth who would be able to say anything negative about him. :thumbsup:

Nice meeting you guys again.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Guppy Lures started in 2002 when brothers Peter and Wayne Hess bought the equipment and machines after Brad Pohler of Hog Hunter lures passed away.

They started to ramp things up around 2003 or 2004, and have been hard at it making plugs since. Nice meetin you guys. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Ryan Smith's table. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Met Big Rock and Mrs Big Rock. Big Rock is a generous guy, having donated many plugs for good causes. Never fished his stuff, one of these I'll put more up about him and how he got started. He's held in high regard by builders and surfcasters alike, and is in the Asbury and a few other clubs. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Another showing by Big Ed, who's been around for a number of years. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Ron Muccie is an institution in the plug building community, has been doing this for a long time. Ron had some good things to say about Tony Spina. Glad to hear your health has been good, Ron, I haven't seen ya for awhile. Stay well, nice meetin ya again. :HappyWave:

Monty
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Rich,
Great posts and Pics.
Thanks for sharing. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, Monty, I still got some more,,,,:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Jack from Surf side B&T Long Branch, he's the man for custom rods and gaffs. :HappyWave:

Kuglers lures, loaded with all sizes of metal, bucktail, and jigs. Kugler lures is a family business, he's got his sons helpin. Guess that means Dad lets them use whatever inventory they want when it comes time to go fishin? :drool: Sounds like a fair deal, nice meeting ya again. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM

Guys from the SSFFF. Most of my friends fish for bass, but we can't forget about the fluke, it's the bread and butter of marine trips for the NJ/NY area. Keep making the regulations more restrictive, and guess what that'll do to the economy in any shore areas? Dave and the other guy, nice to meet ya, keep up the fight. :clapping: Heres a link to their site:

http://www.ssfff.net/

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Old reels, sorry dude forgot your name, nice talkin to ya. :HappyWave: He's at the show every year on the stage next to Capn Nick, decent prices on old reels, he's got some history there. :thumbsup:

NJ Angler

Steve from AOK tackle

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 08:55 PM
LI/ Libba guyz Larry Carlucci and Jim?, had some tubs full of different stuff, I scored a schoolbus 9" wood swimmer for $10. Nice meetin ya's, look forward to more fireworks stories about Brookhaven. :thumbsup:

Shoreline, Wall NJ, specializes in old plugs

5526[/]

[ATTACH]5527

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Capt Nick is a small plugbuilder out of Keyport NJ who's been making plugs for many years. He's not looking to get bigger, sell more plugs, OR sell plugs out of season

... there ain't nothin gettin in the way of his fishin time once the season starts. :D :thumbsup:

You can only get his stuff at Asbury, and it's priced to sell all in one day. One hook poppers are $5, 2 hooks are $10. He's been doing the Asbury show for 6 years. He started building because he couldn't find a plug to cast the way he wanted. Nice meetin ya again, Capt. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Gary Soldati runs Bigwater lures, he wasn't available for a pic but 2 of his friends were glad to show some of his stuff. . :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Billy McFadden is an icon in the plug building community. He's been doing it for many years, and has the weighting, sealing, and finishing down to a science. Richt now he's focusing on Atom40 profile plugs, and some small needles. Atoms $20, needles $10.

Many of the builders I talked to had nothing but good things to say about his generosity and advice he gave them. Billy and his friend were there, nice meetin you guys. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Bob Hessel from Dingbat Lures. Been doing it for 7 or 8 years, one of his biggest influences was Skippy Lures. These pics don't do justice to the sweet airbrush skills this guy has. Cool meetin ya. :cool:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Run by Rob out of Milford Connecticut. He's been doin it for around 2 years now. With a carpentry background, he's been building and fiddling with stuff his whole life. A few years ago he started playing with plastics to find plugs that would stand up to being banged around a lot. The result is Fish On-8 plugs, price range from $15-20.

Some of the biggest influences in his style have been Gary2's troublemaker. Nice meetin ya, man. :HappyWave:

(your pics came out blurry, I'll have to catch up with ya next time, sorry)

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Glen Davis, another Asbury Club member. He's also a locksmith, been fooling around with fixing things and working on machinery his whole life, so plug building was a natural extension. 5 1/2 and 6 1/2" swimmers with bucktail, $20-25. Nice meetin ya again, man. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Hope I got the name straight guys, I was writing notes faster than I can talk at the end, and can't read my own handwriting. :D

2 guys, Larry and Ralph. Members of the Asbury club, been doin it since 2004. Plug prices from $15-20. Nice meeeting you both. :HappyWave:

voyager35
03-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Dark, great pics! I really enjoy all the stories that go with them. It must take you hours to put them up in the threads. Thanks for all your hard work and bringing the show to us guys who could not go. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey voyager, glad ya liked em. I do spend way too much time on those pics. Doing the shows is a chance for me to go places I might not otherwise be able to afford to go. Each show is like a mini vacation. :wheeeee:

Meeting the builders, especially the older guys, is pretty cool too. We just buried a family member last week, every day I'm aware how short life is. I spend time on these pics as my way of documenting a small part of surf fishing history. I would give anything to have been able to fish 50 years ago, but I can't. ;) So meeting a guy who has been fishing 50 years, and hearing him tell his fish stories, is the next best thing. :thumbsup:

There's no guarantee any of us will be around tomorrow. I would rather honor some of these plugbuilding greats with a few admiring words and phrases.... than write paragraphs about them after they're gone, when they will no longer be able to hear our praises. OK, too much of the :soapbox:, so I'll stop. Seeing a lot of people pass away the last few years, in the fishing community, and in my life, has changed my outlook a bit. I'm glad to be able to say a few nice things here and there. :D

buckethead
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Dark, sorry to hear about your family member. It is sad when we lose someone. You do a great job of eternally documenting the plug builders here. I am sure they all appreciate it just as much as we do. What is the next show you are attending?

surfwalker
03-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Dark, nice coverage on the show, as usual, thanks. Sorry on your loss. You're right, life is too short, and the years go by too fast. Do the things you want to do now, don't wait.

DarkSkies
03-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Buckethead, I should be at the RISSA show in April, a lot of the northeastern plugbuilders will be there. If you've never been there it's a great show, worth the trip.

Rhode Island has some of the most beautiful coastline along the East. If you wanted to take the family to that one, there are many fun things you guys could do before or after the show. Point Judith and other coastal areas are rich in maritime history and worth visiting.

I'll be hitting some of the local shows that are listed in the schedule here, long as Joe keeps payin for those fuel receipts.:D :HappyWave: I like the smaller flea markets because you never know who you might meet there.

Do the things you want to do now, don't wait.

Thanks for the condolences, guys. Surfwalker, simply said, but profound, and good advice. I would add to that to visit the people you were meaning to visit, but were too busy to. There's no guarantee they'll be around when you decide you're less busy.

And if ya got something to say to someone, say it now. People always appreciate praise, kind words, and a sincere interest in how they're doing. They can't hear ya when they're dead. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

fishjay
03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
DarkSkies, great coverage of the show. I couldn't make it but your pictures made me feel like I was there.

See you on the beach soon

DarkSkies
03-04-2010, 01:14 AM
The Asbury Park Club's show on Sun, March 14... It's without a doubt one of the most popular shows in the NJ/NY area. Builders from all over the country will be represented at that show.

If you only have the time or budget to hit one show this year, this is the one you shouldn't miss.

For anyone who's never gone before, it's craziness, pandemonium, meeting up with friends from afar, and some of the most well known builders of custom wood in the US.

It's definitely a trip, and something that should be seen and experienced by anyone who loves the surf.

DarkSkies
03-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm putting this thread up ahead of time to give people advance notice to get to the show. If anyone goes and wants to report on it or has comments feel free to post them here. :fishing:

DarkSkies
03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
This is the show of all shows in the area when it comes to buying and seeing custom wood from builders all over the country, guys and gals. If you only have time to hit one show this year, this is the one.

Many of the new guys who've never been there start out like a kid at Christmas with so many presents he doesn't know which one to open first. :drool:

There's so much demand people start lining up at 1am the night before. In past years the line has stretched for a block long of hardcore plug junkies ;) impatiently waiting for their chance to be one of the first at their table of choice.

Some others will come in after the show opens, take a liesurely stroll around, buy some hard to get plugs, browse the selection of vintage plugs for sale, and catch up on missed news by meeting some old friends who show up there every year.

The point is, is that this show fills different needs for different people. It's not only a place to buy, but also to see folks you haven't seen, or ones who live in other states. This show brings people from many states together as a first rite, a spring ritual if you will, signifying the start of a new surf season.

DarkSkies
03-12-2010, 10:42 AM
For the first timers, here's the report and pics from last year. :fishing:

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
So many people know the members in Asbury, but I wondered how many know the history. They have a rich and colorful one. Check it out...

http://asburyparkfishingclub.com/history/History-Asbury-Park-Fishing-Club.html

The History of the Asbury Park Fishing Club
(Adapted from an Article by Bill Feinberg)
- Over the years, many fishing clubs, like other organizations, have come upon the scene only to disappear after a short life. Yet a few have remained, seemingly gathering strength with the passage of time. One of the oldest of this latter group is the Asbury Park Fishing Club. Why does one club survive and prospers when so many others have died on the vine? A glance at the Asbury Club's background may provide a clue.

- In 1888, Colonel James A Bradley, founder of the City of Asbury Park, and nine of his friends formed an informal surf-fishing club. Bradley donated four rocking chairs and an old brass bell which were installed on the pier on the south end of Asbury Park. Whenever any of the club members caught a striper, the bell was rung-one chime for each pound of the fish's weight. The fame of the club spread quickly and it ranks soon swelled. By 1890, it took the official name of Monmouth County Protective Association and adopted as it purpose "to prevent the useless waste of fish and to assist in the breeding of game fish."

Owing to the steady increase in its membership, the Club found it necessary to move its home to increasingly large quarters. In 1902, it changed it name to The Asbury Park Fishing Club, adopted a new constitution and a new purpose - "To protect saltwater game fish, to create good fellowship and to promote the interest of anglers." The objectives continue to guide the Club even to the present time and still appear in the constitution.

In 1913, the Club membership number 350. In the years from 1919 to 1930, more than 200 new members joined, bringing the enrollment to almost 552. This figure increased to almost 650 by 1925. Sine then the numbers have ebbed and flowed and at present time about 200 members are on the roster.

http://asburyparkfishingclub.com/history/fishing-club-house.jpg

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 04:57 PM
One of the Club's sources of strength, in addition to its purpose, was the fact that its membership was always open to sportsmen "of good moral character," and it was an early melting pot of rich and poor, illustrious and unknown. All had one quality in common - their love of the sea and saltwater angling.

Over the years, certain names did stand out among the others on the membership list. This would include Hartie I. Phillips, writer of renown; Joseph Cawthorn, describe as "one of America's leading actors"; Christian W. Feigenspan, owner of Feigenspan Breweries of Newark, Ezra A. Fitch, cofounder of Abercrombie and Fitch; A.C. Steinbach, department store magnate; J. Lyle Kinmouth, organizer of the Asbury Park Press; A.F. Meisselback, manufacturer of the well known Meisselback fishing reels; A. E Griffith, manufacturer of the Griffith Piano; and Van Campen Heilner, renowned outdoor writer and editor of Field and Stream, to mention only a few.

- Starting early in the lifetime of their Club, the men from Asbury have accounted for their share of record fish. These would include a 63-pound channel bass caught in 1909 by Joe Cawthorn breaking the New Jersey high mark; a 286-pound bluefin tuna caught by Jacob Wirtheim in 1915 which toppled another Jersey record, only to be surpassed by fellow member Christian Feigenspan in 1923 with a work record bluefin of 407 pounds; a 55-pound striped bass caught by Frank Henes in 1913 topped another New Jersey Record only to be beaten by Club member Abe Flavell with a 58-pound 3 oz fish the following year. More recently, Club member Barry Goldman captured the world's record for Altantic Bonito in the 20-pound-line class with a fish caught in 1978.

The list could go on and would include such exotic as sharks taken from the New Jersey beaches and weighing hundreds of pounds. In addition, the Club has actively participated in fishing and casting tournaments capturing many prizes and honor. In the R. J. Schaeffer Saltwater Fishing Tournament, the Asbury Park Fishing Club took first place in New Jersey and stood among the upper five clubs overall for many years running.

- Of all the activities, however, none have more significant to the Asbury Club than those promoting its purpose to "protect saltwater game fish and... to promote the interest of anglers.". As part of these charges, it became an active charter member in such organizations as the Association of Surf Angling Clubs, the Izaak Walton League of America, and the New Jersey Fish and Game Conservation League. Its members fought successfully to make striped bass a game fish in New Jersey.

It has waged an ongoing fight against pollution, and it efforts in that area were recognized as early as 1922 by President Warren Harding who, in writing to the Club, said " I do wish you to be assured of my keen interest in behalf of the effort you organization is putting forth, for I regard it as of very great importance to the whole nation and of course, particularly to those section of the Coast line and tidewater country in which industrial development has been particularly extensive. Your organization, I am informed, has been able to develop a public understanding of these problems and has given very helpful consideration to the matter of methods in approaching that solution." Club member have occupied numerous fishery positions including membership on the International Convention for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Management Council, the Governor's Marine Fisheries Advisory Council, state and federal boards, and the like.

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 04:58 PM
In summary, a strong diverse membership, a reason for existing other than for pleasure alone, and action participation in the sport of fishing, and service in the cause of the environment have undoubtedly combined to keep the spirit of comradeship alive among the successive generations of Asbury fishermen for over a century. Fishing is still, as always, the common bond.

Today, just as in the past, the love of their sport and their ties to one another are important parts of the lives of the members of the Asbury Park Club. Perhaps their sentiments were best summed up by member Bob Inch, who some years before his death in earlier in the 1900s penned the flowing lines.

When our fishing days are over,
And we lay our rod aside,
And we bow our heads to meet Old Father Time,
Of all the things we ever did,
We never shall forget
Those fighting fish that hung upon our line.

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Parking and show info:

http://asburyparkfishingclub.com/

ASBURY PARK FISHING CLUB
18th ANNUAL
INDOOR FISHING FLEA MARKET

Sunday, March 14, 2010
9 AM to 2 PM

Convention Hall
Ocean and Sunset Avenues, Asbury Park, New Jersey - See Directions (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/directions/convention-hall.html)

Featuring new and used fishing equipment and the BEST plug makers in the Nation!

Free Parking will be available in all PARKING LOTS along Ocean Avenue during the Flea Market on Sunday, March 14th, thanks to Madison Marquette. PARKING LOTS only!!!

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
If you want to find out about the club, check out a meeting:

Asbury Park Fishing Club meets 7:30 PM every first Monday of the month at the VFW Building, Lake Ave, Asbury Park, NJ. Please check the Club's Calendar for meeting dates and events throughout the year.

If you are interested in joining the Asbury Park Fishing Club, please come to a meeting and complete an application form. Annual membership is $25.00 with a reduced fee of $5.00 for anyone over 62 or under 18 years of age.

Members of the Asbury Park Fishing Club are some of the best plug and lure makers in the World!

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
This is a prestigious group that has consistently caught large fish. The details are managed by the Asbury Club and can ba found on their site.

http://asburyparkfishingclub.com/theNJStripedBassHallofFame.html

THE NEW JERSEY STRIPED BASS HALL OF FAME

Welcome to the official headquarters of the N.J. Striped Bass Hall of Fame. This organization was established in 2004 to identify and single out individuals who have consistently excelled at catching trophy sized striped bass from the ocean and inland salt waters of New Jersey.

The current membership includes many of the most productive bass fishermen over the past half century and remains open to all land based striper fishermen. The requirements for membership, however, were intentionally made very challenging in order to insure that only serious, dedicated “Bass Hounds” could eventually qualify.

Membership Requirements:

The minimum requirements for inclusion into the Hall of Fame is two (2) points

Each 50+ pound bass = 1 point
Three or more 40+ pound bass = 1 point
Ten or more 30+ pound bass = 1 point
That is, catch (2) 50+ pound fish and you’re in. Or, (1) 50+ pound fish and (3) 40+ pound fish. Or, (3) 40+ pound fish and (10) 30+ pound fish. Or, (1) 50+ pound fish and (10) 30+ pound fish.

All fish must be caught shore based (no boat fish) and must be from New Jersey waters. Anyone who believes they meet the minimum criteria and wishes to be considered for induction into this Hall of Fame needs to have their catches authenticated by a recognized Fishing Club or tackle shop. As an alternative, your proof such as photos, newspaper articles, log books, etc. will be reviewed by a committee of existing members.

The members of this Hall of Fame want very badly to be inclusive of the entire state. A review of the attached memberships list clearly shows that many outstanding fishermen from south of Barnegat inlet have not yet been identified and included.

Questions regarding the New Jersey Striped Bass Hall of Fame should be directed to Larry Casparro at (732) 988-0348.

The Hall of Fame is proud to honor the 2009 inductees, including the reigning IGFA all tackle world record holder, Albert McReynolds; the locally well known author, lecturer and surf guide, Shell E. Caris; the relatively young, but very accomplished standout, Tony Melo; and the seasoned pro, Stan Duziuba.

NEW JERSEY STRIPED BASS HALL OF FAME

* INDICATES 2009 INDUCTEES

APFC = ASBURY PARK FISHING CLUB
SLL = SPRING LAKE LIVELINERS
SRA = SHARK RIVER ANGLERS
BSC = BERKELEY STRIPER CLUB
SCA = SURF CITY ANGLERS
MBCT = MONMOUTH BEACH CAR TOPPERS

DarkSkies
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
2010 plugmaker list:

This is one of the biggest gatherings of custom plug makers on the East Coast. All in one auditorium. Looking at the list, and realizing many of the greats there in the past who are no longer with us today, you can see why there is a lot of buzz and excitement generated by this show. :wow: :fishing:

http://asburyparkfishingclub.com/plug_makers.htm

DarkSkies
03-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Jerry Melia runs the Old Man's Tackle Box, which does most of its business at flea markets and area shows.

I found it interesting how Jerry got into bucktail and sinker making.

He said he used to fish a lot and lost too many bucktails. He eventually realized if he wanted to keep up with his fishing addiction, he needed to make his own lead and bucktails.

Along the way, he met some good people. He and his Dad started doing it, and as it grew he called on the knowledge of his friend John to learn how to tie bucktails.

As he made and sold more, he realized he needed a durable finish. That's where he called his friend Doug of Dr Lures in for advice. Doug ran a powder coating dept for a company and knew the whole process. Doug teamed up to help Jerry, (what are friends for...? ;)) and the rest is history.

Some customers of Jerry's have told him he has the cheapest bucktails around. He had show specials, 8 and 10 oz bucktails, for $5 each. That's a great price for the heavier ones. :thumbsup:

Stop by and say hi to Jerry and Doug. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Doug is quite a character, with many stories to tell.

One of them is about how do you catch a mermaid? :naughty:

Stop by his table at the Asbury Show today for the answer to that question...;)

DarkSkies
03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Great show today....some of the well-known surfcasting sharpies were there, some of the silent sharpies....some good times with the S&A sitemembers here, some great stories....cool times with good people... went down there with G, Rip, and Brasilva. Later on Tommy came to join us. :HappyWave: Met with Finchaser, Joe Melillo, and many of the NJ old time surf greats, Ron Muccie, Joe Palotta, and too many more to list. It was like a who's who of NJ surfcasting. :fishing:

Some awesome pics and videos of the builders and their stuff..... :drool:

I'll try to have it up by tomorrow.

In the meantime if anyone wants to post about the show and what they thought of it, feel free...

(even if ya just went there for the world class hotdogs) ;)

rip316
03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey Dark and G. Had a great time with you mofos. I am so glad we finally got together to shoot the chit. Wished Brasilva would have stuck around but, maybe I will get a chance to fish with him in the future. Good times man can not wait to start fishing. Thanks again. Oh yea I forgot to mention that I met Finchaser and some of the best surf guys around. It was such a great experience and can not wait until next year to go again.

DarkSkies
03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Oh yea I forgot to mention that I met Finchaser and some of the best surf guys around. It was such a great experience and can not wait until next year to go again.

Rip, glad we all decided to make that trip. :thumbsup:
I wanted you and G to get a chance to meet a cross section of the surf guys there at that show..

Finchaser, Joe Melillo, Zeno, Shel E Caris, Charlie K from Shark River, Joe Palotto...Pres of the Asbury Fishing Club, and some of the other Asbury members, Billy Mcfadden famous plugmaker, Ron Muccie and his crew of old-school sharpies, etc.

We missed others because we just ran out of time. I didn't get to the SSFFF table with Dave A taking contributions, and missed an interview with Gene Amato... VP of Asbury and the maker of Fish On Plugs. :HappyWave:

We also missed some others, but I think overall, we got you to see how the surf fishing world we love is a big and small world at the same time.

There were so many notable anglers in the surfcasting world there today. I hope you remember their faces and get a chance to run into them in the surf, as each of them has something different to offer. :thumbsup:

Pebbles
03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Sounds like all of you had a great time. Maybe next year I'll tag along.

lostatsea
03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
What are some of the goodies you guys bought at the show? Do you have any pics?

finchaser
03-14-2010, 10:17 PM
A burger and a T bone needle

DarkSkies
03-14-2010, 11:22 PM
A burger and a T bone needle

What happened to that world class hot dog you were lookin for?

Wassamatta fa you! :beatin:

Did that hamburger you ate at least come from Cargill, or was it an imitation burger? ;)

Sorry I missed you guys. Dave A went lookin for some grub, I promised I would stop by the table after that. When I turned around you guys had packed up and left.

Did he do ok with the SSFFF contributions this time?

BTW, West Wind Wally made an appearance today and was talking about your grouchy nature. :argue: :wow: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I managed to shoot most of them, but still missed a few, my bad. :don't know why:

Scotty from Lex Lures

Sharing a table with Scotty was Charlie K from Shark River fishing club. Charlie K is an old school surfcaster, and is well regarded by many in the fishing world. :thumbsup:

Last year Charlie had some rare Habs and Gary2s for sale. This year I think he had some more Habs and some others. You never know what Charlie will bring to the show, that's why it pays to stop by. :HappyWave:

This year his special was a tub of unfinished Pencils and Needles for $1/EA.

That's right folks, only $1 for a plug that could be the beginning of a DIY plug project, or a Father/Son project. Where else can you get a simple unfinished plug blank for $1? :bigeyes:

He had a huge tote filled with them.

By the end of the show he was almost sold out.

Nice seeing ya's again, Scotty and Charlie. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:28 AM
T Bone Tackle Co, Point Pleasant

Run by Steve

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Choopy Lures... Charlie from Neptune

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Big Bites Tackle...Ben from Philly

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Luna Lures...by Greg

Greg, a member of the Asbury Club, stepped away for a sec, but his friend was nice enough to talk about them for us. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Ron Muccie Glitter plugs and teasers

Talked with Ron, his friends Ellen and John as they talked about Ron's plugs...

and the fall run of 2009, where Ron and some of the other sharpies outfished many other guys on the beach that day using tin squids instead of Avas, tipped with Ron's custom tied teasers. :clapping:

Ron Muccie and the magic tins and teasers
Nice meetin ya again Ron! :HappyWave:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8710&thumb=1&d=1260885312 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8710&d=1260885312)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8711&thumb=1&d=1260885312 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8711&d=1260885312)

Ron's custom teasers

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8712&thumb=1&d=1260885312 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8712&d=1260885312)

Sandeels all over

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8713&thumb=1&d=1260885312 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8713&d=1260885312)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8714&thumb=1&d=1260885312 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8714&d=1260885312)

Pics of Ellen reeliing in one of her 16 bass that day, and a link to that thread...

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5385

Ellen catches a few
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8705&thumb=1&d=1260885178 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8705&d=1260885178)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8706&thumb=1&d=1260885178 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8706&d=1260885178)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8707&thumb=1&d=1260885178 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8707&d=1260885178)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8708&thumb=1&d=1260885178 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8708&d=1260885178)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8709&thumb=1&d=1260885178 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8709&d=1260885178)

Video:

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Dingbat Lures...Neptune

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 12:52 AM
BigWater Lures...Gary Soldati

Gary hails from Western MA.

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Rob from Sunset Lures.

Rob is a member of the AP Fishing Club.

DarkSkies

DarkSkies

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:16 AM
James from MX plugs

LI, and now NC.

This guy's plugs and table caught my eye. He had a lot of interesting plugs and some fantastic prices.

There was a steady stream of traffic to his table. It was tough to get some time to interview him.

I originally shot 2 videos. In the first one a Dad and son are raving about what a good deal his plugs are. For some reason that video failed.

I'm posting the 2nd one where he describes his plugs, and some of the other "fishing merchandise" he's designed.

I'll say this for the guy, he's a clever marketer. :thumbsup:
He's smart enough to realize that he can't always sell a plug to a customer, but can ALWAYS interest them in another fishing related item.

:clapping::clapping: for James's entrepeneurial spirit.

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Kevin of Kevin's Lures

I first met Kevin at the Berkeley show last week,

and here for the 2nd time.

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Ralph of Hook R Lures

I met Ralph last year at the Asbury show.
Ralph is also a member of the Asbury Club.

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Glen Davis of Davis Lures

Met up with Glen Davis and his family again...wife Bernadette and son Glen Jr. Glen is a long-time member of the Asbury Club.

A link to some of Glen Davis's Plugs. Basically he makes 2 different sizes, selling for $20 or $25. He has a wide range of colors available, and will also make you a custom color if you want to get a few from him. How's that for service? :thumbsup:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78

This video is a little confusing at first, because the (in)famous troublemaker and prankster Scotty from Lex Lures came by and was busting them about a plug they were donating to the SSFFF. For the record, they DID donate the plug, Scotty just likes to bust balls and stir things up a bit. ;) :laugh: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:31 AM
This table was run for most of the day by the famous OGB/aka Finchaser, and his friend Dave A.

I was supposed to stop by and interview Dave.
I screwed up, my fault.

Because of that error, I'm gonna talk about the SSFFF a bit and put up some links here.

The SSFFF was one of the original fishermen PAC groups that arose to combat the fluke regulations that have been getting more restrictive every year.

I went to a SSFFF meeting and thought that they did a good job organizing and getting support from fishermen.

They were one of the key players involved in the Fishermens' March on Washington as well.

Some people are still unaware of all the good they do and how they benefit fishermen.

Here's some links so people can learn about them...

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:33 AM
http://www.ssfff.net/id54.html

We seek to safeguard and improve fishing access to summer flounder, for those who enjoy it and to ensure the survival of those who depend on it, through scientific and legislative means.

http://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gifWho We are

SSFFF is a new, non-profit organization made up of Party and Charter boat owners, Tackle and Bait Store Owners, Tackle Distributors, Bait Wholesalers, Fishermen, and others whose livelihoods are dependent on a healthy and vibrant recreational fishing industry. All of these business owners, professionals and recreational fishermen realize the importance of an equitable and scientifically accurate management strategy for Summer Flounder.

For Board of Directors and Committee Members click HERE (http://www.ssfff.net/id61.html)

Our Affiliations

SSFFF is not affiliated with any other organizations. Our goal was to start a group devoted to a singular purpose: Saving the Summer Flounder Fishery.

However, we are working with every organization that shares and are trying to achieve the same goal, namely a healthy and vibrant Summer Flounder Fishery.

Why We Are Here

The tremendous economic impact of this one species, Summer Flounder, is reflected in local tackle and bait shops, party and charter boats trips, dockside and over the road fuel sales, hotel/motel accommodations, marinas, as well as shore community restaurants and cafes. We, as participants in the Summer Flounder fishery, know that the summer flounder population is NOT in trouble and that current populations are substantial. We believe that the flounder regulations we now abide by are overly restrictive and quotas are lower than they should be. The stock assessment for Summer Flounder still needs much improvement.

We cannot hope to keep this fishery thriving unless we act now as a well-organized group with a common agenda and a comprehensive vision for the future! It is our aim to assure that the assessment of Summer Flounder is as accurate as it can possibly be, and that the law has the flexibility to allow both the science and the management to be as accurate and effective as possible while still maintaining a vibrant and healthy fishery for all fishermen, commercial and recreational alike.

Our Goals

Our first, and most immediate goal will be to support HR 5425 which is an emergency legislative intervention that will enable stock managers a reasonable level of regulatory flexibility. This will be done by working with the RFA, who have the structure and contacts already in place, along with the proven ability to get things done in Washington. The commercial sector has its own lobbyists and we expect to work in tandem with them on this issue as well. We will work with existing angling lobbying organizations and public sport fishing advocacy groups. We recognize their significant political strengths and in-house lobbying expertise and will support every effort to effect emergency regulatory relief that can allow our fishery to continue.

The second initiative will be to continue to generate private funds for continued improvement of the scientific stock review (Assessment) as well as now generating the new data needed to make that assessment (and all of it's component data) the best it can possibly be.

We have already hired our own independent marine scientist (http://www.ssfff.net/scienceupdate.html)(s) to generate the data needed to prove that the current summer flounder population targets and stock rebuilding deadlines, are dangerously punitive, ridiculous in their intention and truly unnecessary! The first step was taken at the 2008 Stock Assessment Workshop. We are now continuing to work with Dr. Maunder, PMAFS, RFA and others to address the concerns and data poor issues that were identified at that workshop. For an update on our progress CLICK HERE for our most recent Press Release. (http://www.ssfff.net/id92.html)

How To Donate

In order to accomplish these goals, we are asking for your help. Right now, we need your financial support to fund the political and scientific goals. To find out how to donate please click the link below.

How to Donate to SSFFF (http://www.ssfff.net/id65.html)

http://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gifhttp://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gifhttp://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gif
SSFFF - P.O. Box 86 - Brielle, NJ - 08730

April 16, 2010 fund raising dinner:

SSFFF Third Annual Fund-Raising Dinner! April 16th, 2010

Where: Crystal Point Yacht Club, 3900 River Road,
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742
When: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 7:00pm till 11:00pm
Cost: $75.00 per person
Menu:
Butler Served Hors' D'oeuvres

Sliced Melon Garnished with Kiwi and Fresh Strawberry, Fresh Mixed Garden Salad, Freshly Baked Rolls with Butter
Choice of: Boneless Breast of Capon, Roast Prime Rib of Beef or Stuffed Sole
Dessert Platters, Coffee, Tea, Decaf
Click HERE for directions to the Crystal Point (http://thecrystalpoint.com/directions.html)
-------

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS ON-LINE OR TO FIND OUT HOW TO PURCHASE TICKETS THROUGH THE MAIL. (http://www.ssfff.net/buydinnertickets.html)

http://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gifhttp://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gifhttp://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gifhttp://www.ssfff.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gif
SSFFF - P.O. Box 86 - Brielle, NJ - 08730

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Gene Amato of Fish On plugs

I first met Gene and Mrs Gene Amato at the Berkeley show last week. Gene is VP of the Asbury Club as well.

The general consensus was that all the guys and girls from the Asbury fishing club did a fantastic job once again. The show ran smoothly for the most part, and a lot of that was due to the hard work and proper planning of guys like Gene and others in the club.

:clapping::clapping: for once again making that show one of the best on the East Coast.

Here's a little bit about Gene and his plugs...

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:41 AM
pics

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Shel E Caris

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Joe Palotto & Ron Muccie

[

Ron

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Billy McFadden of MC Plugs

Billy McFadden has been around for many years, and building plugs for about 40. He's got a great rep in the fishing community, and shared some of his thoughts with us today.

DarkSkies
03-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Ryan's Rigs

I noticed Ryan when I was at Billy McFadden's table interviewing Billy. I thought Ryan was related.

I saw this young man excitedly hawking his hand tied rigs. What caught my attention was the way he was doing it. I didn't know how old he was, all I saw was a little kid selling some stuff, no different than any other vendor at the market that day.

But the sales pitch this kid had was amazing. The way he was talking to potential customers, you would think he had been selling his whole life. He had a small crowd gathering around at times as he went into his unrehearsed, perfectly natural, sales presentation. :clapping:

From what I understood, he got space at that table as his father is a member of the Asbury Park fishing club, and I think Billy McFadden graciously agreed to let him sit there, sharing the space. I'll try to fill in the full details later.

We located his parents, Dad Bruce, Mom, and his little brother. Very nice family. :HappyWave:

I got their permission to film Ryan as he was talking about what he does.

I understand he's been doing this since he was 8 years old.
Most kids at 8 would have no idea that this is something that they would like to do, nor would they have the motivation.

Ryan's family seems like a very close family, with everyone involved in fishing. I spied an incredible logo on the back of his Dad Bruce's jacket and thought he might be a charter boat captain. There was a "TightLines" logo with an embroidered pelagic fish. The answer was... "No, we just all love fishing!" :fishing:

Wow, amazing stuff. :thumbsup:

Ryan is a natural as he describes the rigs he makes, how he got started, and some of the good times fishing he has had with his Dad and his family.

At the end he describes a 10lb doormat fluke they caught last year, all with one of Ryan's hand-tied rigs. What better way to promote your product than with a story like that! :clapping::clapping:

It was nice to meet the family. :HappyWave:

If anyone wants to pick up a few of his rigs, the e-mail address is listed in the video. I wish this young man and his family great success. Ryan likes what he is doing, and it shows. :clapping::clapping:

jigfreak
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Great report and videos Dark. I got there when it opened, picked up a few Cyclones, and was out of there in 45 minutes. It didn'r seem the same this year with Lefty being gone. Gary2 the year before, Lefty this year, you never know how long people have on this earth. Good show, though. That kid Ryan is great, he's a natural salesman.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

cowherder
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Fantastic reporting job, Dark, I was there from 9-11 and didn't see you filming. Sorry I missed you, had a great time there.

BassBuddah
03-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Great coverage of the Asbury market and the stories behind it. Really enjoyed reading that, Rich.:clapping:

rip316
03-16-2010, 09:46 AM
BassBuddah, you will never actually appreciate what Rich does at these shows until you witness it first hand. He even sneaked out to the beach and did an episode of WEST WIND WALLY standing in the suds pants fully drenched up to his knees. This guy truly loves what he is doing for this site and I admire his passion for the sport of bass fishing. A true conservationist and a respectful student to the teachers who have kept this sport alive. The people at the shows love the attention and publicity he provides through the video interviews of their products. I think we should all tip our hats to this guy for what he is doing. Rich, thanks man it is a true pleasure having the chance to know you. Can't wait to start fishing with ya buddy.

gjb1969
03-16-2010, 01:50 PM
:clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
03-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey people, I have been getting a lot of requests from people who are looking for the videos I shot. As a rule, I try to tell the people the specific forum they will be posted up in.

Sometimes navigating these pages can be confusing for people who haven't done it before. On top of that, viewing the videos is a new experience for many. I put together some tips to make it easier for all. After reading the tips, feel free to PM or e-mail me if you still have questions.

I want to make viewing videos on here as easy as possible for everyone. :thumbsup:

Here's the link to the thread, just click on it. Post #2.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=7

hookset
03-08-2011, 07:47 PM
This is the best show in the fishing world for striped bass and plugs. Every one in the surf fishing world will be there.

hookset
03-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Still only $3, gents start your engines, only a few days left till it's on!:cool:

rip316
03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I will be there. Had a great time last year with Dark.

speedy
03-08-2011, 08:21 PM
you got that right i will be there

wish4fish
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
hey speedy will u be bringing any of your plugs to sell?

speedy
03-08-2011, 09:33 PM
nope not yet ...soon as i get my vega

Monty
03-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I missed the show last year, will get there this year.

finchaser
03-09-2011, 07:06 AM
I will be there. Had a great time last year with Dark.

Glad you had a date for the event

DarkSkies
03-09-2011, 07:23 AM
^^Yep, and this time I'm dropping him off with you and Joe. :moon: :laugh:
He can run errands for you 2, get coffee, and create a buzz at the table for ya's. :cool:
Anyone meeting for coffee after? Speedy was trying to set it up, let me know so I don't eat my usual 8 sammiches ahead of time. :HappyWave:

speedy
03-09-2011, 07:53 AM
yeah i will set it up just for you pal...:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty :

bababooey
03-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Coffee and donuts or just coffee?

rip316
03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Glad you had a date for the event

I am yours Sat. night. There's enough of me to go around.

storminsteve
03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
^^ :ROFLMAO :clapping: :kooky: :laugh: :kooky: :upck:Rip you never cease to amaze, quick wit.:clapping:
Does finchaser know of this pending bromance, or will you be springing it on him with your usual subtlety?:laugh:

finchaser
03-09-2011, 08:45 PM
^^ :ROFLMAO :clapping: :kooky: :laugh: :kooky: :upck:Rip you never cease to amaze, quick wit.:clapping:
Does finchaser know of this pending bromance, or will you be springing it on him with your usual subtlety?:laugh:

He just did:don't know why:

rip316
03-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Finchaser now knows me and he hasn't yet to tell me to go eff myself so I guess he can deal with the real me. I am upset at the fact that I doubt I will make it to the show. I have a date on Saturday night(thats if she gives me her address) and do not think I can sneak out 2 days in a row without pissing off the wife. I also have bowling on Sunday morning and prolly would not make it there until 1pm. All of my buddies will be there too. DAMN.

speedy
03-10-2011, 07:04 AM
All of my buddies will be there too....... thats right!!

finchaser
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
yeah i will set it up just for you pal...:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty :

How will I recognize you by your new seal skin vest with matching wallet:HappyWave:

speedy
03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
yup and new seal sklin plug bag too

baitstealer
03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I have a date on Saturday night(thats if she gives me her address) and do not think I can sneak out 2 days in a row without pissing off the wife.

So you have a wife AND a girlfriend?:huh: OK, I'll bite, what's your secret?

rip316
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
My warm and loving personality;)

bababooey
03-10-2011, 03:31 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah right the next thing you will tell us us that you are hung like a horse. Your personality kind of reminds me of Dennis Leary.:HappyWave: Honestly, that guy is funny, but do you think he would be getting laid if he wasn't a comic. He has a face that would make babies cry!:laugh:

So Rip, is the girlfriend a goumade, or a working girl (no offense intended, I also want to know how a guy handles a wife and girlfriend without paying for it.:rolleyes:)

finchaser
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah right the next thing you will tell us us that you are hung like a horse. Your personality kind of reminds me of Dennis Leary.:HappyWave: Honestly, that guy is funny, but do you think he would be getting laid if he wasn't a comic. He has a face that would make babies cry!:laugh:

So Rip, is the girlfriend a goumade, or a working girl (no offense intended, I also want to know how a guy handles a wife and girlfriend without paying for it.:rolleyes:)

Carefully very carefully

rip316
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
[/B][/COLOR]

Carefully very carefully

I honestly do not have to pay for it. This is too funny. Exactly what Fin said.

dogfish
03-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Let your freak flag fly!:laugh:

rip316
03-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Let your freak flag fly!:laugh:

Thanks Dogfish. Say it loud say it proud.

finchaser
03-11-2011, 10:05 PM
whose all going show is 9 AM to 2 PM

speedy
03-11-2011, 10:12 PM
i will be there

rip316
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I won't. I am going on that date. I got the address.;)

DarkSkies
03-12-2011, 08:18 AM
^^ I call shenanigans.:rolleyes:
I'll be there. :HappyWave:

ledhead36
03-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I might be there.

DarkSkies
03-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I dug this out from the archives, some stuff from last year's show.
Just in case anyone was obsessing over the show tomorrow, here's a preview of coming attractions. :bigeyes: :fishing: :drool: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Report: Asbury Park fishing club fishing flea market 3-13-11

Here's what I said about it last year, folks, along with the link to the report and the videos I shot:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6115-Report-Asbury-Park-fishing-club-fishing-flea-market-3-14-10

The Asbury Park Club's show on Sun, March 13... It's without a doubt one of the most popular shows in the NJ/NY area. Builders from all over the country will be represented at that show.

If you only have the time or budget to hit one show this year, this is the one you shouldn't miss.

For anyone who's never gone before, it's craziness, pandemonium, meeting up with friends from afar, and some of the most well known builders of custom wood in the US.

It's definitely a trip, and something that should be seen and experienced by anyone who loves the surf.

This year (2011) was a little different. I think it was their 19th year for this show. There were only 8-10 guys waiting in line when the doors opened. No one got in line at 1am, like in years past. :scared:

From some accounts, attendance was down a bit, and sales were slower than in the past. There was a steady stream of people all day. Some of the plug makers rose to the challenge by discounting their stuff, and some didn't. However, if you looked aound, there were definitely deals to be had. :thumbsup:
Most of the vendors I talked to were happy.

Some of the consensus for the lack of the hyped-up 1am line starters was the passing of the old guard in NJ surfcasting and plug building history.....Gary Hull (Gary2) is but a memory in the past now, and his table alone drew hundreds of guys just for a shot to buy a few plugs from him.

Lefty Carr is also gone, and the Carr family members who passed are sorely missed, the same with Gary Hull. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

RIP to all these and other greats, and continued thoughts and prayers for their surviving family members.

On the positive side, there are a few of these old-time plug builders and surfcasters left. They have stood the test of time, and are still surviving and passing on knowledge to generations of new anglers and surfcasters. :fishing:

Guys like....

Billy Mcfadden, who recently survived a fire where several houses on the street burned to the ground.

Joe Pallotto, Pres of the Asbury club, who generally gets credit for being a singleminded force behind the restoration of the Asbury jetty and the flume.

Geno Amato, VP of Asbury FC and owner of Fish-On Plugs, who has now introduced another generation (his 14 yr old daughter) to the art of plug making. :clapping::clapping::HappyWave:

Joe Melillo, Mike Commune, Finchaser, and all the old farts :laugh: who hang at Castaways B&T, shooting the breeze and making fun of each other when they're not fishin...:HappyWave:

Guys like Charlie K, Shel E Caris, Tom Clayton, Ron Muccie, and many other veteran surfcasters who have been doing this thing we love for many decades...yes here were dozens of the "best of the best in NJ" there at the show today.

Jimmy Cousins, one of the veteran greats, and one of the humblest guys I am priveleged to know.... and the crew from Giglio's B&T in Sea Bright, who managed to resurrect a store that had faded away into NJ history, but is now going strong again, even in this lousy economy.

Yep, all these guys were there, and many many dozens more. If you wanted to rub elbows with some of the most celebrated, and the most humble, this was your chance today at Asbury. :fishing:

And one of the things that impressed me the most, was the countless pairs of fathers and sons who took today as a chance to go and have some quality time together. There were also many families there, posssibly even more motivated to make a day of it by the extremely reasonable $3 admission. :thumbsup:

So, all things considered, even though some plug builders were notably absent, today was a day for the passing on of surf knowledge, the meeting up with old surf buddies, making new friends, and a general feel of goodwill in the air......a transition, if you will, from young to old, and a continued investment by the Asbury Club in the community and the future fishing youth of America. :clapping: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-13-2011, 09:02 PM
I went and shot some video, took some pics, and got some interesting stories out of it. I don't have time right now to post, will try to have the videos and pics up by tomorrow.

Ran into Joe Palotto, Jimmy Cousins, Gene Amato and family, Billy McFadden, (now only having 8 lives left after almost losing his house in a fire) Glenn Davis and family, Finchaser, Joe Melillo, Speedy and family, Monty, Bababooey, Storminsteve, Charlie K, GJB and his friend Hank, Joefishinproblem, Johnnycakes and some more of the veteran Asbury guys, all great people. Also many other guys who you see throughout the year, somewhere in the dark of night, who are addicted to fishin the surf.

If I left anyone out... my apologies. (Some of the greatest surf rats travel incognito). :) :HappyWave:

If you guys feel like posting about it, feel free.

Speedy I'm sorry I forgot the secret plug wax in my car. :don't know why:It'll just give me another excuse to come down there and visit ya. :HappyWave:

Also a special congrats to Don Warren, :clapping::clapping: the Asbury club member who won the amazing $600 value custom-built surf stick created by fellow club member Jimmy Cousins, and donated for the show to raise $$.
WTG both Don for winning, and Jimmy for being so humble. :clapping: :thumbsup:

And the most special congrats of all to the wives and girlfriends of the Asbury Club members who manned the food and drink booths. Where would we be without you ladies? :clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:

rip316
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
The only thing that was missing at the show was me.:2flip:

bababooey
03-13-2011, 10:24 PM
^ Where were you ri-p? All tuckered out from the midnight affair last night? Adultery is a young man's game you know.:laugh:
I bumped into dark wandering the streets like a vagabond.:ROFLMAO Or rather he almost crashed into me. Don't know where you get all that energy dude! Good running into you again.
You missed a good show, rip.

speedy
03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
hey rich sorry bro my cell was in my backpack when we left the show then we to a freinds house
in brick . great to see ya bro and to meet monty for the first time .

jigfreak
03-14-2011, 12:07 AM
I saw that rod, ds, took $5 worth of tickets on it. Obviously I didn't win, kudos to the guy who did. Jimmy Cousins does beautiful work. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He knows large, where they are, when they are, and how to track em. His father was the same way too from what I remember, pulled some nice numbers in his time. Glad to hear Billy Mc is ok. I had no idea his house caught on fire.

bluesdude71
03-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Sounds like a good time was had by all. I went to the rissa show, it was closer.

DarkSkies
03-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Some pics

Joe Pallotto and Jim Cousins

DarkSkies
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Billy McFadden, Big Gene Amato, and Mrs BigGene. Nice meeting ya's again! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Glen Davis, of Davis Lures, with Don Warren, who won the amazing custom surf stick built by Jimmy Cousins. Congrats, Don! :clapping: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Glan Davis and family, Davis Lures
Nice to meet the family again, Glen! :HappyWave:

http://www.vimeo.com/21029313

DarkSkies
03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Interview with Skippy of Skip's Custom Lures :) Nice meeting you folks again! :HappyWave:

http://www.vimeo.com/21030010

DarkSkies
03-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Interview with Big Gene Amato of Fish-On Custom Plugs, and his family.

For the last 3 years, he was teaching his 14-year old daughter the ropes. Yesterday she was selling her own plugs at the show. Great example of entrepeneurial spirit. Best of luck to you all! :HappyWave:

http://www.vimeo.com/21028489

clamchucker
03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Nicely done dark skies. That was very colorful.

rip316
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Where is the West Wind Walley video?

DarkSkies
03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I goofed, Rip. :bucktooth:
I said I was gonna do one for your daughter, one for Speedy's oldest son. When I went to look for him, he wasn't there that day. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

So I misplaced him somewhere, have to look for him again.....unless he's gone to Mexico and S America on a whirlwind tour to find Spanish women. Caliente. :cool:

Clamchucker, glad ya liked it!

baitstealer
03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Wow I am sorry I missed it. I thought it was just another flea market. Will have to check it out next year.

fishinmission78
03-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Calling the Asbury show just another flea market is like calling Fuddruckers just another hamburger joint. Just sayin.

hookedonbass
03-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Cool pics and stories, thanks for posting.

plugcrazy
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
plugs, plugs, plugs, plugs, plugs, plugs
hot dogs
more plugs, plugs - works for me,
what about you guys, why will you be going?

finchaser
03-04-2012, 03:25 PM
I'll be working 2 booths

VSdreams
03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
To fill my line-up with some missing name brand plugs. Looking for some good deals on used stuff too, does anyone know if people will be selling used plugs as well?

finchaser
03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
We will have used plugs,rods and reels in Castaways Bait and Tackle booth.

madcaster
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Metal lips.... if the same guy was there last year

gjb1969
03-06-2012, 12:08 AM
well for me just get out of the house and have a good time:HappyWave:

jigfreak
03-06-2012, 12:19 AM
We will have used plugs,rods and reels in Castaways Bait and Tackle booth.

Castaways from Point?
The reasons to go to this show is there is none other like it. None.

finchaser
03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Yep from point

cowherder
03-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah plugcrazy it's like plug porn for the guys who are "crazy" about plugs!:drool:

DarkSkies
03-06-2012, 08:55 AM
I'll be working 2 booths

I would say the chance to meet the Old Grouchy Basstard Finchaser, and Joe Melillo, in the flesh, is alone worth the price of the admission....:thumbsup: :cool:
For you guys who haven't met these characters yet, these 2 are some of the NJ Surf Legends....back before some surfcasters with 10 years experience were self-promoting themselves on the internet as "legendary". :rolleyes: (And even though these 2 would argue with me, for calling them Legends, because they are so humble, but they ARE truly grouchy!)

There will be more old-school surfcasters walking around this show than you could ever find lined on the beach at any one time....great opportunity for you young guys who are just getting into the sport we love....not just to pick up some plugs and stuff, but to meet some of them....

I will be there.
If anyone comes up to me and wants an introduction, I'll be glad to point out some of the old-timers who you should meet,,,(as for Finchaser, he needs no introduction, look for the Grouchy Eyetalian fellow with a Grouchy look on his face..).:laugh:..

If that doesn't help ya, look for the guy who has the craggiest face, wizened and shaped by years spent in the salt water at night, features tht could only be formed by lost sleep, big fish, and shared experiences with all the other surf legends out there, as they stalked around in the night surf, before there was an internet, and made their own reports...

Oh, the exploits they had, and the fun times they had playing practical jokes on one another.....ask him how fishing was in the old times,,,when catches of 20-30 quality fish a night were common....,and you'll get an earful.....

Buy Fin or Joe a hotdog or coffee, and you just might learn a thing or 2.....:learn: :HappyWave:

At the very least, I would think that folks would want to meet Joe Palotta, the Asbury Club President.

IMO Joe has done as much for surfcasters in NJ, as Willie Young has done for them in LI...fighting for access, pushing to get the 8th ave Flume and Jetty rebuilt, etc...
There are some surfcasters around today, who are so new, they don't even remember the 8th ave jetty beforehand, when it was nothing like it is now....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Here's a thread I did honoring Joe and his work, it's a great read if you want to learn more about the club and the kind of person Joe was....
Asbury Park 8th Ave Jetty - the powe of One - How One guy made a Difference...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6181-Asbury-Park-8th-ave-jetty-The-power-of-one-How-one-guy-made-a-difference

DarkSkies
03-06-2012, 10:09 AM
West Wind Wally highly recommends it as well.....

http://vimeo.com/10168108

cowherder
03-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Love those wally videos, especially where he tells the kids to eat their vegetables or stay in school.:laugh:

baitstealer
03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I would say the chance to meet the Old Grouchy Basstard Finchaser, and Joe Melillo, in the flesh, is alone worth the price of the admission....:thumbsup: :cool:
For you guys who haven't met these characters yet, these 2 are some of the NJ Surf Legends....back before some surfcasters with 10 years experience were self-promoting themselves on the internet as "legendary". :rolleyes: (And even though these 2 would argue with me, for calling them Legends, because they are so humble, but they ARE truly grouchy!)

There will be more old-school surfcasters walking around this show than you could ever find lined on the beach at any one time....great opportunity for you young guys who are just getting into the sport we love....not just to pick up some plugs and stuff, but to meet some of them....

I will be there.
If anyone comes up to me and wants an introduction, I'll be glad to point out some of the old-timers who you should meet,,,(as for Finchaser, he needs no introduction, look for the Grouchy Eyetalian fellow with a Grouchy look on his face..).:laugh:..

If that doesn't help ya, look for the guy who has the craggiest face, wizened and shaped by years spent in the salt water at night, features tht could only be formed by lost sleep, big fish, and shared experiences with all the other surf legends out there, as they stalked around in the night surf, before there was an internet, and made their own reports...

Oh, the exploits they had, and the fun times they had playing practical jokes on one another.....ask him how fishing was in the old times,,,when catches of 20-30 quality fish a night were common....,and you'll get an earful.....

Buy Fin or Joe a hotdog or coffee, and you just might learn a thing or 2.....:learn: :HappyWave:

At the very least, I would think that folks would want to meet Joe Palotta, the Asbury Club President.

IMO Joe has done as much for surfcasters in NJ, as Willie Young has done for them in LI...fighting for access, pushing to get the 8th ave Flume and Jetty rebuilt, etc...
There are some surfcasters around today, who are so new, they don't even remember the 8th ave jetty beforehand, when it was nothing like it is now....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Here's a thread I did honoring Joe and his work, it's a great read if you want to learn more about the club and the kind of person Joe was....
Asbury Park 8th Ave Jetty - the powe of One - How One guy made a Difference...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6181-Asbury-Park-8th-ave-jetty-The-power-of-one-How-one-guy-made-a-difference

Thank you dark skies. I did not know that. Hope to be there sunday.

hookset
03-08-2012, 08:18 AM
official vendor list Asbury 2012

March 11, 2012
Big Bites
Big Ed Custom Plugs
Big Rock
Big Water Lures
Black Label Plugs
Bodega Lures
Choopy Lures
Classic Lures
Cyclone Lures
Davis Lures
DT Lures
Fischer Plugs
Fish On
Fish on 8 Lures
Glitter Plugs
Green Point Tackle
Hook'r Lures
Gaffer Lures
Kevin Markow
Kugler's Lures
Lemire's Plug Works
Lex Lures
Loki Lures
Luna Custom Lures
Mega Strike
MX Plugs
R V Plugs
Rhode Island Poppers
Skip Snyder Custom Lures
Slap Happy Lures
Sunset Customs
Surf Asylum Lures
TB Swimmers
Kacey Camouflage Plugs, Big Genes daughter

DS, good writeup on Joe P, and the www vid was funny too.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words folks, Finchaser and Joe Melillo will be at the Castaways B&T table from Point Pleasant...stop by and bother them for a bit, they won't mind....:laugh: :HappyWave:

I'll be running around the show, look for the hyper dude with the "lack of sleep" look on his face.....:kooky: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-11-2012, 04:02 PM
It was a good show though IMO they kind of pushed the club and the long-standing history aside by having it in the hall instead of the big room...

I know Bruce Springsteen had to have the room as well, but the Asbury Club has been renting that space consistently for the last 15 or 20 years, I felt that should count for something....

Met lots of new people, re-connected with old friends....
The grouchy basstard Finchaser was there, along with Joe Melillo, many old-timers, dozens of guys with 50 years or more of saltwater experience....awesome to have so many of them in the same area....

I kept my purchases to my budget of $20...which for me is pretty disciplined....

There were some guys who spent upwards of $400 there on plugs and assorted gear....
I don't understasd that but this is America and to each his own....
Without guys who are doing that and the plug collectors, a lot of builders would have less business...so more power to those who spend big bucks at the shows....

To all the new people I met, great to meet ya's...will try to have some pics up when I get a chance.... :fishing: :HappyWave:

finchaser
03-11-2012, 05:09 PM
yeah nice seeing you:HappyWave:glad you could make it. the 7 hours i was there felt like 50 years

ledhead36
03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry I missed it. Would have liked to meet finchaser and dark in the flesh. Glad you all had a good time.

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Some 2012 Asbury show pics....

Ron Muccie, one of the old-timers now....always a good chance to say hi to Ron and his sons whenever ya run into em.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 04:54 PM
SSFFF guys, thanks for all you do.....:clapping:

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Some folks may have noticed I used to report on a lot of shows...
Some folks may feel slighted, now that I'm not doing that....
Please don't....

The reason you may see some shows reported about here, over others, is as simple as it may have been an area I wanted to fish the night before.,....therefore I was in the area....

There are so many shows and flea markets now it doesn't make economic sense to cover them all....

So I hope the folks out there understand, in the clubs or groups I didn't get to report on....it's not personal...it's an economic decision....and I've come to see that all this reporting takes away from my family and fishin time....thanks for understanding....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Luna Lures...nice to see ya again...Nick....
Nick has been absolutely crushing the bass all winter....:fishing: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 07:12 PM
New Plugmaker on the Block....

Old School Customs... (OSC Plugs)
Started by Joe's Fishin Problem and Nick...

Nick is one of the guys from the Ocean's 11 crew...he helped a senior citizen release a 45lb bass at IBSP this fall..
Great story...
post #203
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5854-Catch-and-release-thread/page21

I didn't know it was them selling the plugs...or I would have snapped some pics....
You can also find them on facebook.

Good luck and best wishes for success, guys...:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 07:19 PM

LN's Sand Eel Teasers....
Ellen and John are friends of Ron Muccie and they fish together all the time...it's possible that Ron or someone else gave Ellen lessons on teaser tying...I'm not sure how she learned, but she is now making some great teasers that are worth looking at....:cool:

You will recognize Ellen at the beach....she's a good rep for the women in Surf Fishing, as she is usually out-fishing all the guys near her....

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Castaways B&T

Where all the old salts in Ocean County hang out....
Joe and the crew....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Davis Lures...Glenn and Family...good to see ya's again....

:clapping: This year, Glenn made it in the March 8th issue of the Fisherman..:thumbsup:..Congrats and best of luck for the year, All...

(That's his chartreuse swimmer on the Cover, WTG Glenn!) :HappyWave:
And a link to his plugs on this site:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?78-Davis-Lures

In the picture directly below, you can see where they mention him, circled in ink.

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 07:30 PM
More Davis plug pics, with his plug matching the pic on the cover.....

DarkSkies
03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Al Lemire (Lemire's Plugs), Armand (RI Poppers), and James (MX plugs)...nice to see ya's again! :HappyWave:

seamonkey
04-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Nice report ds especially on the old timers. It seems every year we lose another one. Thanks.

buckethead
03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Bump for Sunday. Does anyone know if they will be inside, or outside in the hall like last year?

surferman
03-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I don't know. All I know is 6 days and counting.:drool:

speedy
03-05-2013, 07:50 PM
2x that bro:dribble:

surferman
03-06-2013, 12:12 AM
show and directions

Mar. 10, 2013

Asbury Park Fishing Club's
Type of Event: Fishing Flea Market
Event Date(s): Mar. 10, 2013
Event Time(s): 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Admission: $3.00 donation. Free to children 12 years & under
Address: 1300 Ocean Avenue
(Ocean and Sunset Avenue)
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
Phone: 732.988.0121
Vendor Info: Contact for table information
Additional Info: The 21st Annual Fishing Flea Market hosted by the Asbury Park Fishing Club featuring new and used fishing equipment and the best plug makers in the nation.

Directions: http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com...%20market.html (http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com/directions%20flea%20market.html) Asbury Park is 5 miles from the Garden State Parkway or 3 miles from Route 18. Roads are well marked with signs for ASBURY PARK.

finchaser
03-06-2013, 08:22 AM
I'll be there

DarkSkies
03-06-2013, 08:27 AM
^ Just look for the grouchiest basstid there with a face like the one you make when eating a sour grapefruit, and ya found him......:laugh: :moon: :kiss:

It's the tradition....and the history....IMO you will see more of the old salts, crusty barnacles, and old time sharpies at Asbury than anywhere else....

Asbury is a place where guys come each year just to see who's still alive and who isn't....and touch base with others who they haven't seen in awhile......

If the Asbury show could be compared to a Biker convention...with all the other shows being regular poker runs and parties....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/cool.gif
The Asbury show would be at the top level, comparable to Sturgis or Daytona......

If you go early, stay all day...you may have a chance to meet some of the best of the best, in the surf fishing world....walk the floor, listen to the old timers talk, and try to ask questions.....you may make a few friends and learn some amazing fishing tricks.......

Don't miss that show ....there isn't another one like it

finchaser
03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
So whose going to be there????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Monty
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Will be there around 9:30, meeting someone there and maybe selling a reel. A good way to spend a morning. I have liked the Berkley show better in the past.

finchaser
03-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I got to work for free so it doesn't matter

DarkSkies
03-09-2013, 08:30 PM
So whose going to be there????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

I'm sleeping outside right now...

huddled up in the moving blanket Fin graciously gave me when he found out I like to sleep in my car....
I figure after I have a nomad meal of buttered roll and coffee from the 7-11, I'll go by Speedy's place, write something to bust his balls, put it on his windshield, text him taunting him about what a bad shot he is...can't hit the side of the barn....etc....

Then, giving him a fair target to hit, I'll :moon: him for about 5 seconds....:laugh:
This will get him mad..:argue:..he will shoot at me with the 9mm because I am so irritating...
Because he's getting so old...he will miss...:HappyWave:
Someone will call the Asbury police report shots fired......
Within 2 minutes I will be gone from the scene....
And he will be safely back in his castle...his oasis in the urban desert....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7752-A-visit-to-Speedy-s-Castle
At that point I'll go back to my secluded spot, wrap myself up in the blankets, get to sleep early :boring: and be the first one in line when the doors open.....:kooky:
Getting there ahead of the old grouchy basstid......:cool:

** Note...the above was provided for your entertainment purposes only......:HappyWave:
IMO the Asbury show is one of the best in the tri-state area......deals, old salts, deals, meeting up with folks you may not have seen in years, getting to see the infamous OGB in person, and hear him rant about the state of society today...:argue:.....great deals...the famous dirty water dogs..and more deals on hard to find surf toys and gear.......Priceless.....:dribble:

bababooey
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
^^^ There is no stigma involved in getting a little counselling dark. I'm going to remind you of that when national mental health week comes around.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

Monty
03-09-2013, 10:12 PM
^^^ There is no stigma involved in getting a little counselling dark. I'm going to remind you of that when national mental health week comes around.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:
^^^^
The voice of reason on S and A :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

:ROFLMAO

albiealert
03-10-2013, 08:48 AM
:clapping::clapping:You guys are nuts! That was funny right there. wished I lived closer.

finchaser
03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Nice meeting Surfwalker and seeing surfstix,Speedy ,Madcaster and last but not least the crazy one who showed at 12:45. Monty sorry i missed you pal

Monty
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Nice meeting Surfwalker and seeing surfstix,Speedy ,Madcaster and last but not least the crazy one who showed at 12:45. Monty sorry i missed you pal
Sorry I missed you too, I saw Speedy and Dark (out side), could not find you or Stix (looked, but I am terrible with finding things...and people), was in and out in 45 minutes.

finchaser
03-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Was right where you walked in the door in the main room.

Also forgot nice to see Mrs' Speedy( Tammy ) and the boys and thanks's for the Olive

surfwalker
03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
fin, speedy and surfstix- was great to finally meet you people today. Nice that I can associate a face to the names.

ledhead36
03-10-2013, 08:48 PM
:clapping::clapping:You guys are nuts! That was funny right there. wished I lived closer.

I could tell you some googan DS stories albiealert. There is an endless supply. The guy really is mental, no offense dark.:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:Come down and fish with us this spring. We'll have a blast. Sorry missed you all at the flea market but we wanted to catch some fish. You should come out and fish with us one night. Hardly anyone out there and right now not that much trash.

VSdreams
03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Great writeup. I was in and out early. Got a few plugs custom wood. I bought less. Is it my imagination or were plug prices cheaper 4 years ago? There are a lot now that are 30 and up, and one guy was like 45. I can afford it but if they were less I would probably buy more.

finchaser
03-11-2013, 01:34 PM
:don't know why:yes they are higher less trees around I guess. Way back when builders use to test them before they sold them to you for $5.00, now you can get a $40 dollar plug that won't swim no matter how you try to tune it. Back they they didn't have todays plastic technology so we fished wood and tin. Lets not forget the sound of crunch when a bluefish destroys it. Oh that's right people collect them now and after the bass are wiped out I guess they will be worthless. I can't believe how many people buy them and can only catch a fish with a bunker snag. There OK if you have friends like mine who give them to ya.:d In many cases your buying a paint job, and after 55 years of fishing have yet to see the bait fish todays wood emulates.

God bless plastic $9.95 to $18.95 and always swim good right out of package

DarkSkies
03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Overview of 2013 Asbury Fishing Flea Market.....Sent in by Glen Davis' wife....
Joe Palloto at :30.....Davis Lures at 1:00
Video shot by John Oswald of APP.com. :HappyWave:

http://www.app.com/VideoNetwork/2226459172001/Asbury-Park-Fishing-Flea-Market&odyssey=mod|video||umbrella?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

albiealert
02-18-2014, 08:50 AM
There OK if you have friends like mine who give them to ya.:d In many cases your buying a paint job, and after 55 years of fishing have yet to see the bait fish todays wood emulates.

I take it that with the variability in quality control you would rather fish plastic plugs over wood? Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone have the date for the Asbury show this year? I was thinking of driving down to it.

finchaser
02-18-2014, 09:19 AM
I take it that with the variability in quality control you would rather fish plastic plugs over wood? Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone have the date for the Asbury show this year? I was thinking of driving down to it.

Yes sir unless wood is made by a friend and we test swim as some wood just doesn't swim and 90% must be fine tuned

DarkSkies
03-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Yup, cowherder, I was busting balls........and you're welcome for the intros. :HappyWave:

Someone I know was telling me the other night he was going to skip Asbury, as he has enough plugs, and is sick of the extended hype about the plugs and the prices some are getting. I understand his point, but my answer to him was that Asbury is so much more than that. To me, it's a finger on the pulse of the surf fishing community. I say this....not to take away anything from any of the other shows.....they are all great.....:thumbsup:...but every year the Asbury show continues to have the same attraction for me, as a kid coming down to open the presents on Christmas......:drool:

It's a place where I run into some folks I haven't seen in a long time....many from out of state...people come from as far as Rhody and Delaware to attend this show.......all of the old salts are there....as previously mentioned.....they come, like me, to visit old friends, and see who's still alive, and who's not......

Yes it's also about the plugs, and the gear........to me that's secondary.....it's the people that draw me back, every year.....
There's something about being inside the great Convention Hall of Asbury...where I have seen many a concert over the decades....those well-worn floors, a gritty, home-town atmosphere......something about that, and the location right at the surf line.......walks on the jetties and the water imagining the fish you might run into this season....and the big ones you hope to battle, and sometimes lose.....or not.......

All that is conjured up in my mind when I walk the well worn boardwalk, and smell the salt air, take a walk on the jetties (rapidly disappearing jetties) :D...smell the salt air.....get some wave spray in my face.....and remind myself of the great times and fishing that were to be had in Asbury Park......Joe Pallotto and the 8th ave Jetty project that he pushed to get done...

...the sum total of all experiences I have had surf fishing in NJ.....and the hopes and dreams for the future ahead....the new beginnings.....

For me...that all comes to mind.......when I'm at that show.....and walking the stone floors, the boards....the rocks......and seeing who I recognize.....as I have said.....some of the best of the best in the fishing world..........come to this show every year......

Finchaser and his crusty old friends......:laugh: :HappyWave:
Many of the Veteran Club members, some active, some retired, but all still fishing, or willing to talk about fishing, and the old times.....
Guys from the old Stevens Surfsters, the Old Giglios......and some fishing clubs whose names aren't even recognized any more.....

Guys who grew up throwing tin squids and bucktails from conventional reels, know what using dacron line is like......and caught plenty of fish using these basic methods, long before any of the fancy plugs and gear we have today.....

**So, in sum, every time I go to this show....it's my way, in my mind, of re-connecting with the Saltwater Spirits of the past........the old timers, the fish...my mispent youth seeing some of the best groups of our time in those halls....the show, to me, is secondary to the people and experiences I have had there.......Also an inspiring thing to see the Dads bringing their sons, and families, and the connection of that generation, to this love of fishing, we all share.....Good times....Hope this helps folks understand a little better. :) :fishing:

finchaser
03-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Guys who grew up throwing tin squids and bucktails from conventional reels, know what using dacron line is like......and caught plenty of fish using these basic methods, long before any of the fancy plugs and gear we have today.....

Your making me teary eyed^^^^^^^wait we still do. Gotta go its my cell phone could be a blitz of epic proportion some where:ROFLMAO

jigfreak
03-08-2014, 08:38 AM
. Way back when builders use to test them before they sold them to you for $5.00, now you can get a $40 dollar plug that won't swim no matter how you try to tune it.. I can't believe how many people buy them and can only catch a fish with a bunker snag. There OK if you have friends like mine who give them to ya.:d In many cases your buying a paint job, and after 55 years of fishing have yet to see the bait fish todays wood emulates.

80% of todays fishermen would say you are crazy for saying that but I agree with you. The new breed of fishermen the ones who don't want to work for fish. Only come down to the water when they get a cell phone call "Its on!" or chase internet and facebook reports. They need that 400 rod and 850 reel and costa del mar sunglasses, the 350 breathable waders, and the 500 extra in accessorized gear to catch the big one. Many of them have never guided a fish in by the hand, or lipped a big bass without a boga, let her rest a bit and let her go wiithout the 2 minute sand dragging photo op. The only way to prove their manhood is to weigh that bass in at a tackle shop or B&N video.

I'm not talking about the 28" fish that a first timer is catching and is overcome with joy wanting to share it. I'm talking about the tools who catch big bass when they're here and weigh every one of them. You look at them standing at the jetty blitzes and they all seem to be part of that elite gear fraternity. Goofballs. Half of them couldnn't catch fish on bucktails or rubber if their life depended on it. They buy the newest hyped up plug line that they think will do it for them. In NJ bunker arent always here. Most of the time they are feeding on small forage. Yes elephants do eat peanuts and bass will hit jigs and rubber. Big bass. You don't need a $40 dollar plug to catch a 40 lb bass. Sorry for the rant, just sick and tired of these online internet fishermen who don't have a clue but are full of advice and alll look the same in person. They think the plug that everyone is standing in line is the solution to catching that big bass. I like big plugs and do fall into that hype sometimes but the fish comes from the skill of the fisherman not the plug he throws.

jigfreak
03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Great show in and out by 10. Wish I could of stuck around there were some hotties walking around outside with costumes on. Oh and there was a band playing old rock and roll on the N side of the convention center outside. Good times

finchaser
03-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Great show in and out by 10. Wish I could of stuck around there were some hotties walking around outside with costumes on. Oh and there was a band playing old rock and roll on the N side of the convention center outside. Good times

Jigfreak was looking forward to meeting you

Blazin420 nice to meet you

Dark always an experience to see ya

J Barbosa
03-10-2014, 02:37 AM
Jigfreak was looking forward to meeting you

Blazin420 nice to meet you

Dark always an experience to see ya

I wasn't planing on going to the show but I ended up there around 10. I walked all the tables but I didn't see or SMELL any of you guys.

I got some decent deals I'm happy with

A few stretch 25s @ $5/piece
Gibbs pencils, poppers and darters for $10 piece
simple umbrella rig that's not too heavy for the kayak...$10
Hopkins shortys for $3
Smaller metals @ 3 for $5
tactical angler pencils for $5/piece

some used wooden metal lips in good condition for $5/each...I'll post tomorrow to see if anyone can identify the builder.

Blazin420
03-10-2014, 07:30 AM
As always a great show!! Pleasure meeting you Fin and Dark skies!!and thanks again Darkskies for the package :)

Picked up some Mambo minnows and some stuff for the Tinman(love his stuff) and watched a bunch of fisherman get caught by the fancy plugs lol!!!

finchaser
03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I wasn't planing on going to the show but I ended up there around 10. I walked all the tables but I didn't see or SMELL any of you guys.

I got some decent deals I'm happy with

A few stretch 25s @ $5/piece
Gibbs pencils, poppers and darters for $10 piece
simple umbrella rig that's not too heavy for the kayak...$10
Hopkins shortys for $3
Smaller metals @ 3 for $5
tactical angler pencils for $5/piece

some used wooden metal lips in good condition for $5/each...I'll post tomorrow to see if anyone can identify the builder.

Sorry you couldn't find me. I was right in front of doorway when you walked into the main room, could have saved you some money had small umbrellas for $5.00 and Storm Shads 5 and 6 inch for $2.00 a pack

storminsteve
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
^^^^^^Sorry I missed you guys too. I went early. While the other guys were in the que for dmag and the latest hot plugs I walked around and quietly bought some show priced bucktails, tins from the tin man. And a bunch of bomber type lures that need new hooks for about $2 each. jbarbosa sounds like you really cleaned up! There were a lot of cool zombie chicks walking around jigfreak my fantasies last night were good!

baitstealer
03-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Any of you gents going to this?

finchaser
03-02-2015, 05:10 PM
I'll be there with The Reel Seat we have 3 tables stop by and say hello

plugcrazy
03-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Y Asbury is so much more than that. To me, it's a finger on the pulse of the surf fishing community. I say this....not to take away anything from any of the other shows.....they are all great.....:thumbsup:...but every year the Asbury show continues to have the same attraction for me, as a kid coming down to open the presents on Christmas......:drool:

they come, like me, to visit old friends, and see who's still alive, and who's not......

Yes it's also about the plugs, and the gear........to me that's secondary.....it's the people that draw me back, every year.....
There's something about being inside the great Convention Hall of Asbury...where I have seen many a concert over the decades....those well-worn floors, a gritty, home-town atmosphere......something about that, and the location right at the surf line.......walks on the jetties and the water imagining the fish you might run into this season....and the big ones you hope to battle, and sometimes lose.....or not.......

All that is conjured up in my mind when I walk the well worn boardwalk, and smell the salt air, take a walk on the jetties (rapidly disappearing jetties) :D...smell the salt air.....get some wave spray in my face.....and remind myself of the great times and fishing that were to be had in Asbury Park......Joe Pallotto and the 8th ave Jetty project that he pushed to get done...

...the sum total of all experiences I have had surf fishing in NJ.....and the hopes and dreams for the future ahead....the new beginnings.....

**So, in sum, every time I go to this show....it's my way, in my mind, of re-connecting with the Saltwater Spirits of the past........the old timers, the fish.....Also an inspiring thing to see the Dads bringing their sons, and families, and the connection of that generation, to this love of fishing, we all share.....Good times....Hope this helps folks understand a little better. :) :fishing:

What a nice way of putting things. You should write copy for them. I like reading descriptive things like that. Hope you are there and will finally get a chance to meet you. Good luck to all for this spring whenever we finally get out to fish.

hookset
03-07-2015, 10:13 PM
This year it's 9a-2p.
http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com/

All you deadbeats who like to sleep in late, fyi it's daylight savings time spring forward. 9am tomorrow is the old 8am. so don't be late. Good weather forecast tomorrow should be a great show as usual.

finchaser
03-08-2015, 06:07 PM
I worked it, was a good show saw all my Asbury Club friends

plugcrazy
03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
FYI its this sunday, should be a good one.

hookset
03-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Here now, good crowd and stuff for sale. Come on down.

hookedonbass
03-14-2016, 08:47 AM
I did, and picked up a lot of good things. Bucktails, a few plugs, terminal clips, and some good packs of trebles to upgrade my plugs with. They were selling them in larger packs at a discount. Would definitely recommend this show.

jigfreak
03-07-2017, 08:38 AM
one of the best shows on the East Coast. See you all there.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

25th Annual Asbury Park Fishing Club's
Indoor Fishing Flea Market
Silver Anniversary Show

9 am to 2 pm
Convention Hall, 1300 Ocean Avenue, Asbury Park, NJ

jigfreak
03-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Vendor list and floor plan

stripermania
03-11-2017, 07:43 AM
Thanks. Might take the drive down there this year. Heard some sketchy stories about Asbury. Is it a safe place to park?

fishinmission78
03-11-2017, 08:04 AM
It's not that bad. Asbury has changed a lot since alternate lifestyles moved in. Still gangs and drugs at night but not that bad during the day. There is usually a police presence at the Convention center, and they drive around regularly to check on the cars.

cowherder
03-11-2017, 09:15 AM
X2 Asbury is a great show, one of the best around. You shouldn't miss it if you've never been there.

basshunter
03-12-2017, 08:44 AM
:viking:I'm here and there's already a line. Some guys actually lined up real early in the cold. Hoo rah!

jigfreak
03-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I went today, great show as usual. Big Ups to the Apfc.:thumbsup:

jigfreak
03-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Asbury show march 11 sunday. Don't forget to turn your clocks ahead for DST

Anceply
06-05-2024, 08:43 PM
buy cialis online with a prescription (https://cialis.lat/discover-the-best-prices-for-cialis) ?? Tony srhFqxbEKxcZ 5 20 2022