PDA

View Full Version : jetty safety, jetty tips

plugaholic
10-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Lets start a list of pointers about fishing on the jetty.

Use Korkers

SharkHart
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
watch the green rocks! Especially when landing a fish, use the waves and flex your rod to get the fish to a rock then grab the leader rather then scale down to the slippery stuff.

If you dont have korkers or dont take that advice yes certain jetties are fishable without on a calm day, but years ago i hit a blitz and i didnt realize it but i was "fishing up" my previously dry and safe rock. i slipped in slime and slammed my elbow good. a 22 lber about 5 mins later numbed the pain, but it literally hurt for about 12 weeks.

DarkSkies
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
watch the green rocks! Especially when landing a fish, use the waves and flex your rod to get the fish to a rock then grab the leader rather then scale down to the slippery stuff.

If you dont have korkers or dont take that advice yes certain jetties are fishable without on a calm day, but years ago i hit a blitz and i didnt realize it but i was "fishing up" my previously dry and safe rock. i slipped in slime and slammed my elbow good. a 22 lber about 5 mins later numbed the pain, but it literally hurt for about 12 weeks.

This advice is on the $$. The other night we were fishing some slippery rocks. Some new guys crawled out to where we were, I saw that they weren't wearing Korkers, started chatting a little bit.
Turns out they are hardcore freshwater guys. :thumbsup:

But, they were and on the rocks for the first time that night, and fishing the salt for the first time, In an oncoming storm. :scared:

Dudes, don't mean to embarass you guys, know you will probably read this. We all had to start somewhere, no elitism here, But as a PSA, I wanna state that when you come out onto the rocks without korkers, you are forgetting 3 things:

1. your safety - if you slip, you're gonna bash something on your body at the very least. You might also be going in, and might drown. My friend told me that when I went out to fish the very front of the rocks, one of you guys slipped, hovered over the edge, and caught yourself at the last minute. He really thought you weree going in, you're just a little lucky.

2. your family's future - the one guy had a little son. I asked him how his family would survive if he was found drowned off the jetties. Guess that was something to think about.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

3. my safety - if I saw someone slip ioff the rocks and fall into the water, I couldn't just stand there. I would have to jump in and try to save them. Waiting for a rescue in a situation that remote means that the person will likely drown, so the first few seconds are critical. So you are putting no only yourselves and your family's future in jeopardy, but the safety of others who will be compelled to save your soggy asses.:laugh:

If those guys do read this, please understand I'm not trying to target you for ballbusting, but you can provide an example to others. You get those korkers, and I run into you again, I'lll take yas around and try my best to get you a fish.

Get the korkers. Tape them on your boots with duct tape. Live longer. :thumbsup:

7deadlyplugs
03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
I read a post on another site where a guy almost lost his life because he was taking shots of BIRDS!!!

Pretty stupid if you ask me, and that guy is very lucky to be alive. I thought about all the times I was out there and guys had only sneakers on. So let's talk about jetty safety, the life you save may be your own. What advice could you guys who have experience give to someone who is just learning. I know sooner or later I'll run into trouble, and I don't want to drown for it.:scared: Wearing good korkers would be the first obvious piece of advice, the guy that got wedged in the rocks wasn't wearing any.

seamonkey
03-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I have seen guys on jetties with sneakers on, or barefoot. you're right, at the very least you want to have korkers on. :kooky:

clamchucker
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't fish most jetties. At my age it is not worth it. I will fish the few that are paved with concrete at times when they are not overrun with people. A tip I would give would be to always go with a friend. Over the years, too many people have been lost to drownings off of a jetty. This is a good idea to have these discussions.

storminsteve
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Here is the direct link to the guys site with pictures of him. I'm glad he is ok.

http://www.howardsview.com/Jetty/Jetty.html

surfstix1963
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Do not wear waders if you go in the drink you will never swim with them on and you will not get them off you will most likely drown from exhaustion wear rain pants they are easier to get off and if you can't you have a much better chance of swimming with them,you should fish with someone any way. I always carry a sharp knife in a sheath to cut off anything I may need to.You always have to watch the waves that are rolling along the rocks you never know when that one is going to catch you off guard.If you do catch a fish be very cautious of where you will land it pick a fairly safe spot and try to get the fish there NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE!!! If you are fishing at night walk cautiously on the rocks be aware of the holes you may fall into you could break a leg and be stranded if no one is around.

dogfish
03-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I was fishing the pocket before an inlet once in my kayak. This was near sunset, and there were only a few people around. This guy fell in and started yelling. I pedaled over to him threw him an extra rope, and pulled him to the side of my yak. I was afraid he would capsize us. The current wasn't that bad, outgoing into slack, so I wasn't worried that much.

There was also another boat a short distance away that was there within minutes and pulled him out of the water. He later told us he had been leaning over to pull a favorite plug out of the rocks. He never did get that plug. :beatin:No plug is worth your life, not even a rare Habs. :D

fishincrazy
03-18-2009, 12:21 PM
I've seen many people fall but only one sticks out in my mind.I was fishinat the Manasquan and a kid maybe 16 comes out in sneakers ang goes out on the jacks.There was about 6 russian guy's out there and this kid tried to get down to the water.I hear one of the russian guy's yellin and go over here the kid went down between two Jacks.The russian guys are scramblin and yellin the kid is bleedin everywhere.I started to head out to help they get him up.His right pant leg was gone as well as the skin on that leg.His rod was busted he was cryin.And he just took off.I tried to get him to sit down and called 911.With 1 shoe half of his pants and blood everywhere he made his way off the jetty.Don't know what happened to him.The russian guys and I all went back to fishin.Later as we left the jetty one of the guy's who I see all the time said as soon as the kid came out on the jacks they told him to be careful.He said the kid laughed and said he did this all the time.My buddy smiled and said what he fall every time out???

FC

cowherder
03-21-2009, 12:11 PM
fishincrazy are you talking about the smooth cement bowling pins at Manasquan when you say jacks? I didn't think anyone could walk out there without korkers, that must have been insane.:scared:

My story isn't that exciting. One time a friend and I who didn't know better went out on a concrete filled jetty, so it wasn't that bad. One part was slippery, and he fell and gashed his arm. We learned that even the concrete ones have wet slippery spots. :embarassed:

albiealert
04-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I have seen guys on jetties with sneakers on, or barefoot. :kooky:

That seems to be the required gear by us as well.:eek:

wish4fish
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
dude if you are out on a jetty with barefeet you deserve whatever happens to you:eek:

buckethead
06-11-2009, 05:10 PM
The last time I was out on the jetties there were so many people there. I get tired of getting mugged. Wanted to try it again, this time I'm heading out at night. Does anyone else see this as being a bigger problem this year over last?

stripermania
06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I can't say I see a bigger problem with it this year it seems just about the same. I have changed my fishing habits recently. I seldom fish the jetties during the day anymore. The bite would have to be awesome to get me out there. I try to do my jetty fishing at night, there is alot more elbow room.

bababooey
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
"Does anyone else see this as being a bigger problem this year over last? "

It helps to have a boat, so you can fish the front of any jetty you want, no crowding. :D

Or you can get some of the latest jetty wear, you can order it in specialty catalogs:laugh:

jonthepain
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
no jetties down here. a coupla inlets have them but that's it.

i miss 'em.

dogfish
01-27-2010, 08:13 PM

i miss 'em.

I couldn't think of what it would be like to fish a place that didn't have structure. You have my sympathies.

plugginpete
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I read a post on another site where a guy almost lost his life because he was taking shots of BIRDS!!!

Pretty stupid if you ask me, and that guy is very lucky to be alive.

Safety first, no birds or fish are worth your life.

rockhopper
01-14-2011, 02:20 PM
I like that riot gear pic bababooey!:thumbsup:

surfstix1963
01-18-2011, 05:21 PM
PLenty of shoreline though Jon.

i miss 'em.

rip316
01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I like that riot gear pic bababooey!:thumbsup:

Pebbles has the same gear that she uses when Dark takes his waders off. hahahahahahaha I'll teach ya to make fun of me and my Desi fetish. You googan. hahahahahahaha

finchaser
01-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Pebbles has the same gear that she uses when Dark takes his waders off. hahahahahahaha I'll teach ya to make fun of me and my Desi fetish. You googan. hahahahahahaha

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
05-27-2011, 01:43 PM

i miss 'em.

Half the guys who catch fish in the bunker blitzes here in Jersey...if there were no jetties, they would probably quit fishin. :rolleyes:

Jon, if ya ever come up here, I'll take ya out on some of the coolest rocks you've ever seen. :drool:

Time for a bump to the top for this, some good and timely info in this thread. :learn:

williehookem
06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Thank you for this thread. My cousin had a fall last year on a jetty and almost smashed his skull. He wasn't wearing korkers. Now he always wears them.

jigfreak
06-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Crouch a little when rock hopping, and plan your move to the next rock well in advance as the tide is coming in.

7deadlyplugs
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Don't do what these guys did, go out on the rocks in Rye, NY on the incoming tide.:scared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdFEZ0ki5m4&feature=player_embedded#!

3 plucked from Long Island Sound in Rye after surging waters strand them on rock while fishing

2:51 PM, Oct. 13, 2011 |
13Comments (http://www.lohud.com/comments/article/20111013/NEWS02/110130410/3-plucked-from-Long-Island-Sound-Rye-after-surging-waters-strand-them-rock-while-fishing)

http://aka-cdn-ns.adtechus.com/images/usga13_88x31.gif (http://gannett.gcion.com/?adlink/5111/1916424/0/13/AdId=-3;BnId=0;itime=98241451;key=3+plucked+from+Long+Is land+Sound+Rye+after+surging+waters+strand+them+ro ck+while+fishing;)

http://cmsimg.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BH&Date=20111013&Category=NEWS02&ArtNo=110130410&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&3-plucked-from-Long-Island-Sound-Rye-after-surging-waters-strand-them-rock-while-fishing

Three Queens residents stranded on a rock in Long Island Sound were rescued Wednesday afternoon Oct. 12, 2011, by the Westchester County Police Aviation Unit and marine units from the Rye and Greenwich, Conn., police departments. / Westchester County Police

[/EMAIL]Written by

[EMAIL="spcohen@lohud.com"]Shawn Cohen (spcohen@lohud.com) .

RYE — As choppy waters rose around them, three Queens residents stranded on a rock in Long Island Sound were rescued Wednesday afternoon by the Westchester County Police Aviation Unit and marine units from the Rye and Greenwich, Conn., police departments, authorities said.
The harrowing rescue effort came after the trio — a woman and two men — walked out to a rocky outcropping at low tide to do some fishing off Oakland Beach in Rye, county police spokesman Kieran O'Leary said. The three became trapped when the tide surged in faster than they expected and the surf turned rough, stranding them about 50 yards offshore.
Officers from Rye and Greenwich responded about 11:45 a.m.
"Four- to six-foot swells, coupled with the rocky area where the trio was stranded, made the rescue effort difficult," O'Leary said.
The woman was eventually taken aboard the Rye police boat, manned by officers Michael Kenny and Mauricio Gomez. Rye officers also tossed life vests to the two men.
The Westchester County police helicopter moved in as the tide closed around the two fishermen, submerging the small spot where they stood. Detective Christopher Lieberman, the Aviation Unit's chief pilot, hovered the aircraft at the water's surface while police officer Michael Brady went out on the aircraft's skids and hauled one of the men into the helicopter.
The second man lost his footing and fell into the water but stayed afloat with the life vest. Lieberman repositioned the aircraft as the man drifted away, and Brady was able to reach that man and pull him up and into the helicopter as well, O'Leary said.

"A day of fishing might have ended in tragedy except for the skillful actions of all the officers involved," Westchester Public Safety Commissioner George N. Longworth said. "I commend the members of the county police Aviation Unit, and the Rye and Greenwich marine units, for the perseverance and teamwork they displayed under very difficult conditions."
Those rescued were treated at the scene by members of the Rye-Port Chester Volunteer Ambulance Corps

storminsteve
11-02-2011, 06:59 PM
If you are on the rocks on the incoming tide either you are not dealing with a full deck or you have a death wish.

jigfreak
11-13-2011, 09:35 PM
If you are on the rocks on the incoming tide either you are not dealing with a full deck or you have a death wish.

I saw some Spanish guys almost get washed off the tip of the Barnegat Jetty last week. They were out there with big swell on the incoming. Stupid is as stupid does. I guess that's God's way of making the gene pool stronger.

plugcrazy
01-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I saw some Spanish guys almost get washed off the tip of the Barnegat Jetty last week. They were out there with big swell on the incoming. Stupid is as stupid does. I guess that's God's way of making the gene pool stronger.

I saw a guy slip and smash his knee pretty hard tonight. Be careful dudes!

DarkSkies
01-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Very timely post, plugcrazy.

I was having a few discussions with some friends about this today..
Guys have mentioned they see some fish caught off the rocks, and are thus motivated to try there too...

If you're new to this, please re-think that strategy at this time of year...
It's January, and while the air temps this weekend hit the mid-60's, the ocean is still in the mid to high 40's :scared:

These temps, if you are not wearing a wetsuit or drysuit, can disable you completely within 10 minutes, resulting in a slow agonizing death, if you fall in and are not able to self-rescue.

Look no further than this thread to see an example of one of our own who died less than 2 months ago because he fell or got washed off a jetty.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8116-Dead-Fisherman-washes-up-on-beach&highlight=jetty+safety

Some new members here have asked me, in light of the success I have been having, to take them out on some rocks as well...

I put these cautions here not to scare guys away or "keep the fish all to ourselves"...I hope my posts explain that anyone who's catching multple digits of fish is working hard for each and every one of them. My reports may make it seem like it's easy, but it's not...there are risks associated with each trip..and the penalty of aches and pains to be paid for after each trip.

As I sometimes cannot contain my enthusiasm, I apologize if it seems that my fishing excursions are too easy,

They are the result of hitting it hard, taking calculated risks, and years of experience walking those rocks, studying the tides, rips, and holes, and applying that to hopefully catch fish.

Some nights it all comes together for nice action. :drool:

There have also been many nights where I've had no action at all, not even a tap. So when it seems the level of activity has increased, I'm out there as much as I can be, giving it all I've got...to get these fish.

Truly, I'm having a hell of a time, very happy nights, but I want to be clear about the level of risk involved, and maybe with the honesty in this post get some out there to think very carefully about their plans for venturing out there at night..
Many may have read that I'm now wearing a PFD. Some may think of this move as beneath them, but I will continue to encourage people to wear one for cold water fishing off the rocks...even the best of us have accidents...

Please, folks....:learn: from the mistakes of others, and don't think you can't die out there...for at the very moment you convince yourself of your invincibility, FATE has a cruel way of throwing a curve ball into your life....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

DarkSkies
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
The OFFC were out last night. They related to me that as they were done fishing, they saw a guy crawl off a jetty...that's right, he was crawling on his hands and knees...

I relate this not to make fun of the guy, but to say that something must have happened to him out there that caused him to take that posture when coming back...

maybe he fell in a bit...
maybe he fell down and bashed a knee, or twisted a joint or part of his back,
maybe he slipped, didn't fall, but the incident was too close for comfort, and it spooked him (self-presevation instincts come into play here)

And in fearing that he was not going to come back aliive to his family and loved ones, he humbled himself and crawled off that jetty...

In addition to that, Pebbles and I met some pretty experienced fishermen when we went to the next stop. Even so, one of them fell out there on the rocks. He quickly regained his footing, but these are the types of things that can change your life, in an instant... :learn:

Monty
01-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I apologize if it seems that my fishing excursins are too easy.
Anyone who thinks fishing with you is a walk in the park, pleasant experience is off their rocker.:HappyWave::HappyWave::laugh::laugh:

People need to know their limits.
I do not go on rocks at all. Just to dangerous for me. I can have enough fun and excitement on the sand (or throwing a lure at a branch on my lawn).

DarkSkies
01-07-2012, 11:44 PM
^^Thanks for the feedback Monty...as always you have a diplomatic way of expressing your point....:laugh: :HappyWave:

As for hooking yourself while casting to trees...well I think we ALL have a little GOOGAN in us....

Here's another cautionary tale I wrote tailored to kayaking,,,but edited to include surf and jetty fishing...I know some of this may seem redundant and repetitive, apologies for that...but if it ends up saviing someone's life, then I make no apologies...:cool:

Some basic lessons for the new guys here, and the rest of us as well

1. Always have a location plan written and available to someone you trust back home. (If fishing a jetty or jetty area write down where you should be that night)

2. For the new guys, don't go out alone until you are extremely confident in your abilities.

3. Don't go out at night until you are confident with your safety precautions and have run a list of "what if" scenarios in your mind. If you are not good at strategizing Plan B, C, and D scenarios, you could get yourself killed out there.

4. I hope my words about guys "challenging" themselves aren't taken the wrong way here. You never want to challenge yourselves by compromising your safety. If something goes wrong, you not only put yourself at risk but put the safety of first responders at risk. You should also think about the family or friends you leave at home, and what will happen to them if you don't come back from a trip.

Ex - I thought about the people at home who depend on me, and instantly knew I had to leave. No shame in that. http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/images/smilies/cool.gif

I hope these poiints will give the new guys some things to think about. We're not pushing anyone to go out there who doesn't feel it is within your skill set.

If it's not within your skill set, you will find out very quickly, and remember that things can turn around on any jetty or inlet, in a moment's notice.There's no shame in being careful, cautious, or saying to yourself..."Things aren't right for me today, to do this...I'll re-assess, do something else, and come back when conditions are better."

Hope this helped some of you guys.

Last but not least...
*How important are your family and loved ones to you? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png
*What would happen to them if you didn't make it back from a fishing trip? :learn:
*What kind of pain would they go through knowing you drowned out there at night? http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png
*Is it fair to put them through that, all for a fish? :huh:

Please be safe out there, guys and gals...no fish is worth your life...:HappyWave:

xtreme_visions
01-08-2012, 08:56 AM
check this guy out. a few years ago he was trying to take photos of the ny skyline and met some rocks :whoo:

although he wasnt fishing it shows how safe u need to be even when not on the rocks :kooky:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/090526_man_falls_from_cliff_in_guttenberg_new_jers ey

that is some of my stuff dark :viking:

DarkSkies
01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Alcohol and Rocks don't mix..

a few years ago I was on the Shark River north jetty. I thought I was fishin by myself...until to my surprise 2 drunk dudes who had climbed the tower above began singing to the seas for me to catch a fish....they were so drunk, and swaying over the rail so much, I thought one of them was going to fall down and smash his skull like a cantaloupe on the rocks next to me...:kooky:

Luckily, someone (not me) saw them and called it in to the Bradley Beach PD. They came out and arrested these guys...I know they weren't hurting anyone, and were in fact the best entertainment I had that night...but they were in a dangerous position, and really were too blazed to know that....:plastered:

Thanks for sharing that Extreme...:HappyWave:
....tell me, how did you get to that accident scene so fast to film that video?

xtreme_visions
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
i move like the wind :scared:

captnemo
01-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Move like the wind, funny. I wonder if you're old enough to rember Ali, float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
Nice work, did it pay well?

captnemo
01-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Move like the wind, funny. I wonder if you're old enough to remember Ali, float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
Nice work, did it pay well?

surfwalker
01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't do the rocks/jetties anymore, matter of fact it's been years since I did them. My fear of them has overcome my catching at any cost. I don't preach not to go out on them, just take note of what Dark states. If you think something can't happen to you, then maybe you should keep in mind those that have slipped or taken a dunk- I'm sure they didn't wake up one morning and say that today I will have an accident on a jetty. Just think before you step or take that extra stroll, especially in the cold. Don't be one of the ones who say what a stupid thing I did- after the fact, if you're lucky enough.

DarkSkies
02-23-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm sure they didn't wake up one morning and say that today I will have an accident on a jetty. Just think before you step or take that extra stroll, especially in the cold. Don't be one of the ones who say what a stupid thing I did- after the fact, if you're lucky enough.

Excellent points, Surfwalker, thanks for sharing them. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Something along those lines happened to me the other night....
Thought I would share.....

Stories, stories, there are so many of them out there.. some good some bad.
but really, I want to to stress safety, over all else, how sad would it be for your family if you went out there, and didn't come home from a night of fishin?...I had the dubious pleasure of fishing next to a drunk guy the other night,...

He came up as I was gearing up to go out. Generally I would rather keep to myself out there, but this guy kind of crept up on me....:laugh:

When I turned around and he was talking, his breath was so strong from drinking if you lit a match he would have been breathing flames....:scared:

He said he had just come from the bar, and he was going out there...
I tried to give some words of advice, talked about the huge swell, said it was bad enough I was wearing a PFD, and told him that even though I didn't know his level of expertise, it was not a great night to be out there anyway....

Additionally I told him that if he fell in I would be the one who would have to jump in and save him, and I wasn't looking forward to that moment if it should happen...

You can only reason with a drunk so much, otherwise it's a waste of words.

I did much drinking and drugs in my life and no one could ever tell me anything when I was high or drunk....:plastered:

His response:
"Thanks for looking out for me, brotha! But I'm going to go out there anyway"

I saw that he eventually put himself into a risky position. There were no real opportunities for fish that night where he was fishing anyway. I know you can't save someone who is hell bent on destruction.

I left soon after, and checked the papers the next morning to see if anyone was reported missing or dead. Satisfied that there was no news, I'm glad he made it out of there OK.

He had no business being out there in those conditions.

jigfreak
03-06-2012, 12:26 AM
He had no business being out there in those conditions.

Amen brother! Every year another idiot gets culled from the herd. Maybe it's Darwin's laws of survival of the fittest. You should see how insane they are in Australia. Losing another fisherman seems to be routine down under.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f2_1330517296

nitestrikes
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Amen brother! Every year another idiot gets culled from the herd. Maybe it's Darwin's laws of survival of the fittest. You should see how insane they are in Australia. Losing another fisherman seems to be routine down under.

Dark you should really speak on this. Did you watch this video?

Guys are starting to wear pfds. I, have seen 1 or 2 at Montauk, or maybe that was you and I didn't realize it? The narrative in this video is eye-opening. Here is some of it:

(Starting at 5:00)
"Just how crazy this sport can be, not a life jacket in sight.
Rescuers end up risking their lives to fish out the bodies.
Their chance of dying while fishing is high becuuse of their overconfidence.

Helo pilot:
I've never picked up a fisherman who drowned while wearing a life jacket.
Why are there no life jackets? - Arrogance."

Granted we don't have waves that bad there, but at the Point at Montauk it can get pretty bad, or just a little west of that on an incoming moon tide.

Monty
03-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for posting that video, that's crazy stupid. You gotta be an idiot fishing there. Its simply not safe.

UrbanFishingMan
03-11-2012, 07:23 AM
those Australians are nuts!
A korkers store would make $$$

Here's how i go out if i feel
being swept away is a possibility.

DarkSkies
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Helo pilot:
I've never picked up a fisherman who drowned while wearing a life jacket.
Why are there no life jackets? - Arrogance."

Nitestrikes thanks for bringing this up. I watched the video and have come to the conclusion that a lot of Aussies have a different mindset than we have here. They seem to embrace danger, even to go so far as taunting death.....because IMO that's what you're doing when you fish craggy points like that that have waves crashing over them, without a PFD.

I was at the Nissequogue River the afternoon last summer that father who wasn't wearing a PFD died. It has affected me deeply.

I have been to Montauk many times, and never thought of wearing a PFD.
Like some of you have mentioned, I probably would have thought that others would think you were a sissy or wimp for wearing one. We are all self-conscious about looking stupid when we're out there....

Since that Dad drowned in the Nissy,
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7905-Kayak-safety-Death-in-the-Nissequogue-8-12-11

I've gotten beyond that apprehension of what others might think, and am now actively trying to promote guys to wear a PFD when fishing dangerous areas. I try to set an example by wearing one every time.

DarkSkies
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
So far, it doesn't seem many are listening, or feel they would benefit from wearing one....
I understand the apprehension and fear of looking stupid....

A guy kind of laughed when he saw me putting on mine a few weeks ago, we had met out there and decided to fish together...in his culture they laugh at those kinds of preparations....when he saw the way I fish, he wasn't laughing any more and told me it was a smart thing.....

Will guys start wearing them just because I'm preaching about them?
Absolutely not....

But if I can get one person, at a time, to change the way they look at their safety, and the families they leave behind if they end up dead...then it will have all been worth it...:learn:

Thanks for pointing that out, Nitestrikes. We have surf fishermen and kayakers who die every year, right here in the US, because they didn't place a high degree of importance on safety and protecting their lives....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

UrbanFishingMan, thanks for posting a pic of your gear. I thinik people would be amazed if they knew the level of preparation you go through before you go out there. IMO that's because you've seen the worst that can happen, and are mature enough that you don't want to put yourself in the same situation.

Also, to those folks who think this level of preparation is stupid, I ask you if you've thought about the First Reponders who will be at risk as well, if they have to go and rescue you...isn't that something that we should also be thinking about?

Monty
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Also, to those folks who think this level of preparation is stupid, I ask you if you've thought about the First Reponders who will be at risk as well, if they have to go and rescue you...isn't that something that we should also be thinking about?

I think it the opposite of stupid.
IMO its smart, well thought out and properly prepared for his fishing experience.
Nothing but respect for a person properly prepared.

UrbanFishingMan
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks Dark Skies!
when you live 5 miles from the most dangerous spot on LI
you evolve. In this spot a well established plug makers/ MTK contest winners has been swept away & had to swim 50 minutes to get back. BTW the rescue for that plug maker took 70 minutes to deploy. He had been on shore almost 20 minutes when they showed up. The 2 men ditched their VS reels, lami rods & plug bags losing thousands but keeping their lives. But don't feel too bad for him cuz most of you guys probably own a few of his bottle darters.

In light of this event; i began to practice swimming in fins & boots. Eventually i began carrying glow sticks, energy gel,gatoraid & protein bars, all in a camalbak i can swim with. I'm considering purchasing a spot GPS locator too. That was Zeno's suggestion.

MTK locals will never laugh at you for wearing a PFD! go out with out korkers & toss a popper durning a buck tail blitz & cross a few lines..... then they'll laugh at you.

I'll wear that same set up at IBSP too in certain situations. Even a sandy beach can
mess you up: remember the guy who almost drowned on Dec 1st this year at IBSP?

Bottom line is ......no fish is worth your life.

dogfish
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
MTK locals will never laugh at you for wearing a PFD! go out with out korkers & toss a popper durning a buck tail blitz & cross a few lines..... then they'll laugh at you.

I'll wear that same set up at IBSP too in certain situations. Even a sandy beach can
mess you up: remember the guy who almost drowned on Dec 1st this year at IBSP?

Bottom line is ......no fish is worth your life.

Crossing lines with a popper when everyone is using bucktails, yessir, that is a quick way to get yer line cut. Great photo, urban. Looks like the edge of the world.

jigfreak
03-14-2012, 12:14 AM
those Australians are nuts!
A korkers store would make $$$

Here's how i go out if i feel
being swept away is a possibility.

Nice gear dude. Awesome pirate flag. Is that for a yak or do you just fly in the sand when you're out there?:cool:

UrbanFishingMan
05-03-2012, 04:56 PM
From Surfcasters journal
The Striper Surf took back another one of its disciples today. A truly remarkable person in so many ways.
RIP Tim Coleman.
The Fisherman, The Author, The Editor and a Friend
Our sincerest condolences to the Coleman family and his friends

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/p480x480/582059_10150806315348421_365270663420_9687117_1615 998549_n.jpg
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150806315348421&set=a.372971753420.159247.365270663420&type=1)

DarkSkies
10-20-2012, 09:43 AM
^^ Rip Tim, deepest condolences to his family. Thanks for posting this, A.....

DarkSkies
10-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Someone I know of got washed off a jetty last night.

He got a 38# bass, made it back to the shoreline, and went back out to keep up with the bite.....and shortly after got washed off.......:scared:

I have been dying to fish the ocean, but the swells have been too big and dangerous. With all the dangerous situations I have put myself in over the years, I have tried to learn from them....

As a result, I have a policy of always wearing a PFD when I may fish different areas at night including rocks.
I also make it a policy not to fish if the swell is over 4', (preferably fishing 2-4')....after last Winter during a storm I was almost washed off in a big swell. :bucktooth:

I had to climb back up by myself, and it really knocked some sense into me........

Here is the reply I wrote.
I hope some of you new guys will take heed of this advice.....:thumbsup:

"I hear ya....

I know you're upset, and probably mad at yourself...but only you can learn these lessons,,,and IMO you can't learn in a seminar or having someone tell you...you have to go through it.

I'm embarassed to admit how many times I've gotten washed off a jetty, or almost washed off.... or taken a fall and smashed the back of my head..... Sometimes seeing stars. :o

Doing that, taught me to walk around like an ape with knees bent, if conditions are bad. Also I learned when the water is big, to only fish the ebb tide....

And I now have a rule I will only fish a jetty if the swell report says 2-4'...otherwise I feel it makes presentation tough.....and as you said, no fish is worth your life.....

Believe me you aren't the only one this has happened to.
The 38# fish was nice, but not as important as your life, or the people you would leave behind if you didn't make it home at night.....

A few more thoughts, since I see that you, like I, fish alone...

1. Always write an itinerary, and leave it at home with your wife or girlfriend in case they have to do a search for you.

2. When the surf is too big, stay home, use your judgement to decide, only you know the level of risk you are williing to take.

3. If the surf is fishable but big, try to have a policy of only fishing the dropping tide. That way if something does happen and you get wedged unconscious in a hole somewhere, there will be time for you to save yourself, or someone to find you. At 9:30 last night the tide was still coming in....try to think of that next time.....

4. Carry a phone with you in a sealed case, for emergencies.

5. Always wear a PFD...I'm kind of a proud guy, and felt like a sissy when I first wore mine. No more.... that PFD has saved me more than once, and I have no issues at all about wearing it now.....

Glad you are ok...
No fish is worth your life, or the pain caused to your loved ones if you do not come back alive.....

Be safe, learn from this, you may not get another chance....
Best wishes, thanks for the warning to others"....:thumbsup:

Monty
10-20-2012, 03:16 PM
1. Always write an itinerary, and leave it at home with your wife or girlfriend in case they have to do a search for you.
2. When the surf is too big, stay home, use your judgement to decide, only you know the level of risk you are williing to take.
3. If the surf is fishable but big, try to have a policy of only fishing the dropping tide. That way if something does happen and you get wedged unconscious in a hole somewhere, there will be time for you to save yourself, or someone to find you.At 9:30 last night the tide was still coming in....try to think of that next time.....
4. Carry a phone with you in a sealed case, for emergencies.
5. Always wear a PFD...I'm kind of a proud guy, and felt like a sissy when I first wore mine. No more.... that PFD has saved me more than once, and I have no issues at all about wearing it now.....

Great rules Dark. Can't say it enough, people be smart and use common sense. That PFD is a life saver Dark, great advice.

jigfreak
10-20-2012, 04:19 PM
"No fish is worth your life" Ain't that the truth. A 38 is something great to hunt for but not if he shows up on the news the next morning floating face up. Anyone we know, dark?

DarkSkies
10-20-2012, 04:58 PM
^^ Not from NJ, Jigfreak....SS of LI....
Thanks for the words, Monty.....

The reason I know these rules is because I have screwed up many times in life. I thank God for giving me more chances to come back...but wonder how lucky I can be....I made those guidelines for me as a safeguard to help keep my enthusiasm, and insanity :kooky: :laugh: ...in check when I know the fish should be there, but the conditions are dangerous......

I'm not judging anyone here, and I don't think it's productive for us to judge him either.

John S, the kayaker and author, recently got into trouble in Montauk and almost died. The amount of guys judging him for his mistake, saddens me. :(
Maybe because of who he is, some feel he should have been more aware of his surroundings. I'll agree with that.

However, we all make mistakes. :bucktooth:
I have made plenty of them in my life....and I will continue to make them.
(Hopefully not the same ones).

The only perfect being out there is God.
Other than that, we are all flawed,,,and I must confess to having many flaws....
If someone learns from a bad experience, then maybe it was meant to be....it's one thing to learn from a book, but IMO nothing can substitute for a real life scare, until you realize how precious life truly is.....:learn:

Anyone else who has something to add, feel free.....
You just might end up helping someone to save their lives one night out there...

UrbanFishingMan
10-21-2012, 09:53 PM
two people in the last two days have been swept off the breezy point jeddy!
todays dude was picked up by a center console boat fishing near by. IDK how Saturdays
fisherman is. Big storm swell & new moon this past monday combined for treacherous surf all the way from breezy to MTK

cowherder
10-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow, like they said no fish is worth your life. Be careful out there.

CharlieTuna
10-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Do not get to close to the edge during hurricane season or rough surf. Mike Laptew documented this recent rescue.
http://www.abc6.com/story/36425241/photographs-document-scary-moments-at-point-judith

ledhead36
10-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Lucky that other guy was there to grab him.

hookedonbass
10-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Wow, quick thinking def saved the dudes life.

dogfish
10-12-2017, 12:45 PM
3 most dangerous waters to fish
http://www.dailyfishingstories.com/3-dangerous-places-fish-u-s/