PDA

View Full Version : Top coating

Monty
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
With Rip-Pluggers instructions, I started top coating plugs this winter.
Really like it. These below are Tony Spina's that I added glitter/sparkles to.
Its a start, a few years down the line I would like to start making plugs. For now, this is stretching my artsie skills.

DarkSkies
03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I remember reading some whining about Tony's plugs in a forum a while ago. The plug cost $10, it's got a bucktail siwash, it swims and catches fish. Why is it so hard to sand it down and put a few coats of clear on it so it will last a long time? I have had paint flake issues with Gibbs and other mass produced plugs, so what, the fish don't care if they're missin a little paint. :don't know why:

Nice work, Monty. :clapping: What kind of clear are you using to seal them, I'm assuming rattle spray can? How many coats? The glitter really adds to them, might make a difference on those full moon nights. (BTW Tony is into fish already, got an e-mail from him the other day, you can't keep that guy cooped up in the house.):thumbsup:

Monty
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Rip-Plugger has me using Devcon 30 Minute Epoxy. Works great.
2 coats on these plugs, 1 with the glitter the other on top.
Green one is like glass.
Tony is awsome.

Here is my last years first fish of the year (April), on one of Tony's plugs.

I remember reading some whining about Tony's plugs in a forum a while ago. The plug cost $10, it's got a bucktail siwash, it swims and catches fish. Why is it so hard to sand it down and put a few coats of clear on it so it will last a long time? I have had paint flake issues with Gibbs and other mass produced plugs, so what, the fish don't care if they're missin a little paint. :don't know why:

Nice work, Monty. :clapping: What kind of clear are you using to seal them, I'm assuming rattle spray can? How many coats? The glitter really adds to them, might make a difference on those full moon nights. (BTW Tony is into fish already, got an e-mail from him the other day, you can't keep that guy cooped up in the house.):thumbsup: