PDA

View Full Version : National striped bass coastwide size limits: Yes or No?

DarkSkies
03-18-2009, 06:30 AM
The other gripe a lot of people I've been meeting say is that they don't think it's fair for those in the Northeast to have a 28" limit while in some Southern states it's 18". :don't know why: Some say it should be the same size or slot limit all throughout the US coastal areas.

Is it reasonable to continue as is with different size limits, and why or why not?

Are differences in size limits working for the intended reasons they were originally slated for? What are those original reasons?

Is the current status quo of different size limits fair to all? Why or why not?

hookset
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I think 18" is too small. We need to give them the chance to grow. The bigger they are the harder they fall.:D

surfwalker
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
I could never understand why all the different size regulations from state to state. The Bass doesn't change it's personality when it crosses a state line, it's a fish, it stays the same, so why so many different size limits. How can one state say that thier size is better than another state. Some will say the small ones are the future and some will say the bigger ones are the egg layers, so what's the right size to take. I think that all 15 states that belong to the ASMFC have to come up with a set size beneficial to the on going population of the Striper stocks. Out of all the atlantic coast states, I think only four have the Striped Bass listed as game fish only (ME, NH, CT, NJ), no commercial harvest. So, in my opinion, I'd like to see a set of regualtions for all states with a standard size and limit for the Striped Bass. I'm sure others have opinions on this matter, and I'm open minded to all of them, let's hear 'em, I'm confused.

surfstix1963
03-19-2009, 04:19 AM
18" is way too small imho a coastal limit is ok by me they have been trying that with the fluke(summer flounder) and that has never happened same old thing this state didn't catch their quota and this one is over their quota so you see where this is ending up right back at the beginning you get 18" we get 28".

jimmy z
03-19-2009, 05:22 AM
I think one size is best. What size? I think too, 18" is too small. There used to be an, over 40" slot years ago. If I remember correctly. I also remember that when I got to Ct, there was an over 25" slot.
IMO, 28" is just a bigger schoolie. I say let 'em be as well.:)

cowherder
05-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I think that all 15 states that belong to the ASMFC have to come up with a set size beneficial to the on going population of the Striper stocks. Out of all the atlantic coast states, I think only four have the Striped Bass listed as game fish only (ME, NH, CT, NJ), no commercial harvest. .

Good point, I agree.

finchaser
05-16-2009, 03:23 PM
My vote 34" so they all get a shot to breed it's what brought them back in great numbers when we had the moratorium

hookedonbass
05-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with finchaser. They need a chance to breed. One size limit for all could benefit people all over.

Monty
05-16-2009, 07:00 PM
My vote 34" so they all get a shot to breed it's what brought them back in great numbers when we had the moratorium

I agree 100%.

surfwalker
05-16-2009, 07:54 PM
As I stated in an earlier post that I was confused on the size regulations from state to state. I'm pretty sure that these sizes are determined by the young of the year indices(correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, then why all the variations in size regulations. If said year gets a poor result, then I would think that a standard size for all the Atlantic coast would be the same and not vary. I would like to see a size that allows the Striper to breed a few times before it is taken, I'm not sure what size is the best producer.

nitestrikes
05-16-2009, 09:40 PM
If this is the case, then why all the variations in size regulations. If said year gets a poor result, then I would think that a standard size for all the Atlantic coast would be the same and not vary. I would like to see a size that allows the Striper to breed a few times before it is taken, I'm not sure what size is the best producer.

:thumbsup: Makes sense, the size I would choose is a slot between 28-34", one fish period, unless you get a special permit for a tournament.

gjb1969
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
a cost wide size would be good its a way to put everyone on a level playing field but i think the poltics would get in the way but who knows :argue:

jimbob
05-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't think it should be about fairness from state to state. It should be about the fish. Since it is a coast wide fish it should be managed as such. Gamefish status and a coastwide size limit. Of coarse that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

bababooey
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I think 18" is too small. We need to give them the chance to grow. The bigger they are the harder they fall.:D

We visited some friends down south this winter. When you hear about them keeping 18" bass, it doesn't register. When you see someone come back with 18" bass from a fishing trip, it puts it into another perspective. There is no appreciable amound of meat on an 18" bass unless you fry the thing whole!:kooky:

I think 34" is a great size as a minimum. A 28" bass is still a baby. The only thing that makes me think a 28" minimum might be good is in states where a shore fisherman has trouble catching one at 34". You have to give guys a chance to come home with something at the end of the day. If they don't feel the regs are fair, some will take matters into their own hands and keep it anyway. I'm not saying that's right, just saying people have to have an understanding of the regulations and the fairness factor.

albiealert
07-15-2009, 10:22 AM
You have to give guys a chance to come home with something at the end of the day. If they don't feel the regs are fair, some will take matters into their own hands and keep it anyway. I'm not saying that's right, just saying people have to have an understanding of the regulations and the fairness factor.

I like that line of reasoning. Nothing is guaranteed in life. We all fish for different reasons, and cannot be sure ahead of time how the night will play out for us. There must be some kind of attainable goal in fishing though. If you make the requirement too restrictive, you might as well say all fish have to be 40 inches. There has to be a compromising standard where the majority of people will be happy for it to work coastwide.