PDA

View Full Version : has the recession affected your trips?

surferman
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
The economy is in such bad shape that I have been watching all the dollars I spend. I plan on doing more fishing but the purchasing of tackle is something that I will be seriously thinking about before a purchase is made.

With all the spring shows going on I was wondering if anyone has seen a drop in business. Maybe businesses have seen an increase due to people planning less vacations and putting the money into their favorite past time of fishing.

What about the boaters, since the gas has gone down do you plan on spending more time on the water this season? Maybe the economy is making you put your "sporting money" away for a rainy day.

surfwalker
03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
The economy is taking a toll on me personally. I have already been cut back one day a week (20% giveback), just got my new health benefit plan, cut back on that too (more money out of pocket), the price of gas will probably be going up soon (price per barrel has been going up by almost $2.00 the past few days). My drive is an hour each way to my spots, so the economy will hinder the amount of time I spend at the edge. So, yes, I'll be watching how my coins are spent. There's not much out there to fall back on. Be wise.

Monty
03-18-2009, 08:01 PM
I went to the berkley show and bought a few plugs from tony spina and sold a rod. It was a net positive $$ experience. Also have sold all plugs I paid over 20 for. Used those $$ for a new rod and better priced plugs. I am very lucky to be staying busy at work, but at the same time it is very scary out there and I am saving instead of spending.

Rip-Plugger
03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I am lucky,my situation has not changed at all.it has gotten a bit easier.
I have always been a saver so I save money all the time.
I do keep track much more now though.
my tackle spending is the same as is everything else.
I am taking it a day at a time and keepin watch.
my wife also is doing the same and same thing I am doing.

so far so good,keep watching!

R-P

surfstix1963
03-19-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm hanging in there but trying to put the money away for a rainy day everything they can increase a tax on they will and the paycheck has stayed the same, on top of the trillions we are giving to large companies that our kids children will be paying back to keep them in business.So onto fishing stuff I have a pretty good supply & it is not needed for me to buy more right now I will be buying a few plug kits and try my hand at that,all my terminal tackle was bought in bulk last year,my rods are all fairly new,reels are in good shape so I should be good to go.I just won't buy unless needed that extra $$ can go to my daughters college tuition.

captnemo
03-19-2009, 11:26 AM
As recession deepens, more Americans go fishing
By Jason Szep

MEREDITH, New Hampshire (Reuters) – From his wooden fishing shack on Lake Winnipesaukee's thinning skin of ice, Mike MacDonald doesn't need to think twice about why more Americans are going "fishin'" in the deepening U.S. recession.
"This costs $6 to get a bucket of bait and it will last the whole day," he said, skinning a fish next to a hole drilled into the frozen New Hampshire lake. "Compare that to skiing -- one day of skiing would cost $80 just for the lift ticket."

As Americans forgo expensive vacations, costly dinners and shopping mall splurges, many are opting instead for the quiet simplicity of fishing, according to the sport fishing industry and reports from bait shops and fishermen.
From the icy north to fly-fishing streams in Texas, angling is on the rise. For families, it's an inexpensive outing. Those with a knack for it can trim their grocery bills. And for newly unemployed, it's something to do.

"I'm seeing a lot more fishermen down here," said John Miller, owner of Bob's Sport & Tackle in Katonah, New York. "With the economy the way it is, people are getting laid off from work and don't want to sit at home and do nothing.

"The cheaper alternative," he said, "is to go fishing."
Hard times have had this effect on Americans before. In the last U.S. recession, from 2001 to 2002, spending on fishing rods and reels rose 12 percent to $343 million, according to the National Sporting Goods Association, a trade body that measures how much people spend on sporting goods.
That can add up. When including the cost of fishing rods, tackle boxes, lures, lines and other equipment, recreational fishing in the United States is a $2.2 billion industry, according to the association's data, which excludes spending on fishing tourism, clothing and fishing lessons.

Sports network ESPN added 44 percent more pages than planned to an insert in its "Bassmaster Magazine" aimed at saltwater fishermen because of advertiser demand, the Walt Disney Co-owned network said last week, citing demand from suppliers of equipment and boats to bass enthusiasts.
In Texas, fishing license sales have increased considerably in recent months, said Tom Harvey, a spokesman for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. "We suspect it's because the price of gasoline has come down considerably and thus facilitated more driving and boating," he said.

In the Dallas suburb of Lewisville, where there is a stream stocked with trout in the winter, Mike Hamilton, a 47-year-old fly fishing pharmacist, said fishing close to home was something he could do without breaking the bank.
"I'm not into spending a whole lot of money on my recreation," he said on a cold March morning, standing in the stream with fly rod in hand.
'SIMPLE AND PRETTY CHEAP'
In February, amid a bombardment of dire news on the U.S. economy, an annual ice fishing derby on Lake Winnipesaukee drew nearly 5,500 people -- among its best seasons ever and up about 7 percent from last year.

"All you need is a license and then you can come out, cut a hole in the ice and fish," said Steve O'Brien, who has fished there since November. "It's simple and pretty cheap."
Nearby at A.J.'s Bait & Tackle shop, owner Alan James Nute said fish bait sales are up 25 percent this season. He attributes some of that to one of the frostiest winters in memory -- the ice is about a foot thick -- but said the bad economy is also drawing crowds.

"We've had one of our best Januarys and Februarys ever," said Nute. "We've had cold winters before but this winter seems better. I think a big part of the reason is that fishing is just really cheap. Just about anyone can do it.

"Some people's hours have been cut at their work or they've now got weekends free. Or they lost their jobs outright and what else are they going to do?"

In 2007, as the U.S. economy began skidding into recession, spending on fishing rods and reels hit a 10-year high of $356 million, the National Sporting Goods Association said. Data for last year is not yet available.

"The one little treat people are giving themselves these days is getting out and going fishing and getting away from it all," said Mel Berman, who runs a fishing talk-radio show in Florida, a major destination for anglers.

George Taylor, owner of Taylor's Trading Post in Madbury, New Hampshire, said he's seeing more families buying bait. "When the kids have time on their hands, fishing is a good alternative instead of spending money on other things like the movies," he said.
Bait fisherman John Konz, 65, who works at a waste water treatment plant in Texas, said low costs were among the factors that lured him to angling. He rigged up his rod near the bank of a stocked trout stream that cost $5 to access. "What else can you do for $5 a day or whatever?" he said. "How can you go wrong?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090319/us_nm/us_usa_fishing_2

DarkSkies
03-19-2009, 11:06 PM
The economy was the worst for me last year. With diesel fuel at almost $5/gallon, I was in a deep depression. I was spending up to $250/week on fuel, and there was no money to be made for work. My income dropped, and it sucked.

So I adjusted. I severely cut back on spending. I have been a saver all my life, so I won't go bankrupt, but it bums me out to wake up every day, go to work, and not have any profit left at the end of the week after you pay your expenses. I know a lot of people are hurting, and way worse than my situation. Someone always has it worse than you do.

As others have said, I definitely cut back on my spending, no more impulse purchases, I've been pretty good even at the fishing shows, and I concentrate on thinking about how and when things will be better.

I also cut down on the range of scouting I would do before fishing. I would generally cover the area from Island Beach to the Hudson River before deciding where to fish for the night. I can't do that anymore, and try to focus on one area likely to be worthwhile.

storminsteve
03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
They said on the news that no one is spending. There is zero consumer confidence. I'm worried about layoffs where I work, so I'm not spending much extra either. All the tackle and gear I have is enough for now. Anything primo will have to wait for next year.

basshunter
03-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Fishing can be cheaper than a vacation but with the economy as bad as it is we all have to watch the pennies. If someone has no gear at all then the cost can add up quickly.

porgy75
03-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Has the economy improved to the point that you will worry less about spending $$ on fishing this year?

surfwalker
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Since last year I have gone back to 5 days a week- good for the pocket/bad for the time lost at the wetline.

Forget about yearly monetary increases and the bonuses are almost nil.

I have accumulated plenty of plugs/metal through the years and they are repainted or relective tape added to the metals and are used over. So I don't worry about new plugs. Replacement hooks/snaps/wire/swivels are a must to me and the money is spent there and on gas.

The worry of money is not in the purchase fishing items-but in terms of money for gas to get to my spots.

rip316
03-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I will find out the middle of next week if I still have my job. If I don't I will be selling my boat as soon I can. Won't be able to do it even though I own it.

gjb1969
03-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I am sorry to here that rip that sucks:scared:

rip316
03-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Yea my wife also. We both work for the school system and, Christie is not a fan of the school system. The part the stinks the most is that we will no longer have benefits and we have four kids. It will not keep me down though. I have been down in the past but never out. The boat is a sacrifice that I will have no problem with.

surfstix1963
03-20-2010, 05:12 AM
I hate to keep hearing about people being laid off being forced to sell everything they own to keep their families heads above water & once they sell it they will probably never get it back.I've been out of work for almost a yr. because of work related injuries (you probably all know I was hit with a crane dredging bucket by now.)The economy is going to affect me because I lose my job in May for getting hurt they only keep your job for a yr. Which brings me to the war w/ my employers ins. co.Started off fairly simple filled out my form went to a Dr. for x-rays no hospital (i'm pretty stubborn)Now I start seeing a Dr. and he says I need an MRI for the back.Took a couple wks. to get it approved got it done 3 herniations and a fractured disc so in the meantime my neck started to hurt I was thrown about 6-10 ft. when hit and landed on my face.Now the Dr. tries to get an MRI for the neck well it wasn't on the comp form (no way) now I have to go see their Dr. he says nada wrong w/neck and he has a sprained back resolving itself after reading my back MRI which stated the herniations he can work light duty, now they are allowed to cut me to a mild rate of $175 a wk because their Dr. said so make a long story shorter 7 months of pain,arguing & hearings and BS I finally get my MRI for the neck 3 herniations,spinal cord compression & nerve damage to both my legs and left arm(I can't wait for my lawyers to tear up this IME for lying through his teeth) so all the while I think back surgery then I see the doc and he said your neck is toast we need to do neck surgery first and hope the fracture stays put in the back so I do epidurals for my back to try & ease up the pain. I had my neck surgery and it is getting better but w/ up to a yr. recovery for bone growth I'm done working now I need to get back surgery.Heres the next beauty of the Gov't SS disability said I can work and be retrained because I am 46 I can hardly walk,I'm not allowed lifting,bending,can't sit long can't stand long I can't even put my hands above my head so now I have to appeal that I know there is alot of fraud but sometimes things are pretty obvious and I'm not one that doesn't want to work I hate being home eating pills all day while everybody is trying to screw me next they can pay for rehab for pain killers and you wonder why so many people get addicted.Sorry this is so long but I'm just disgusted knowing I can't support my family because an ins. co. is jerking me around.:burn:

rip316
03-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Wow man that sux. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope it all works out. The economy is horrible right now and hopefully it will bounce back. It wont be long until people get so depressed that they will probably start looting to pay for their families to eat.

plugginpete
03-20-2010, 09:00 AM
That sounds like a nightmare surfstix1963. I was going to come on here and say I got bummed because I am working less hours, but your troubles are much worse. Good luck in the fight against insurance co.'s. I hate them they are so greedy and deny everything. They are so ridiculous! If we pay to have insurance we should be covered. Not denied, denied over and over. I hope things work out for you.

surfstix1963
03-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Yes I agree I'm being punished for someone elses mistake and getting hurt on the job & also being ridiculed about it every step of the way if its not my job busting my butt it is their ins. co. investigators watching every single thing you do you pick up a newspaper and then its why can't you work.My wife is busting her butt to keep things afloat until I can get these idiots to pay everything they owe me in which every step of that takes months at a time.Thanks guys.

clamchucker
07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
I try to keep most of my trips local. My health has a lot to do with it as well. In the past I would fish the Delaware and Chesapeake bay a lot with friends. Now I concentrate on ocean county, with some close trips north or south if my logs tell me it's warranted.