PDA

View Full Version : What did your mentor teach you?

skinner
03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
My dad taught me to:

BE OBSERVANT---Watch what is going on around you. What is he using? How deep? How far does he move? Keep your distance. Nobody likes to fish with another person on top of them.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO MOVE---If fish are not biting in one place, don't be afraid to move to another.

WATCH THE WEATHER – It can be your friend. Remember don’t fish in a lightning storm.

LISTEN UP – Fisherman like to talk. You can get some great tips.

BAIT IS IMPORTANT – Remember if one thing is not working try something else.

ENJOY YOURSELF- Look at the beautiful surroundings. Listen for wildlife; listen to sound of the water. There is nothing better than being outdoors with a rod in your hand and nature around you.

DarkSkies
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
BE OBSERVANT---Watch what is going on around you. What is he using? How deep? How far does he move? Keep your distance. Nobody likes to fish with another person on top of them.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO MOVE---If fish are not biting in one place, don't be afraid to move to another.

ENJOY YOURSELF- Look at the beautiful surroundings. Listen for wildlife; listen to sound of the water. There is nothing better than being outdoors with a rod in your hand and nature around you.

I have been lucky enough to have 3 main mentors who focused on 3 of the above principles you mentioned, and was taught to pay attention to the details of why you did or did not catch. I try to incorporate that analysis in my reports sometimes.

Another thing a mentor taught me was to know where to fish on different stages of the tide. This is obvious for the back bay, make an error and your offering will be sitting in mud or 6" of water. But it also holds for the ocean, where you should jump around depending on what stage the ebb or flood is at. I like the fact that he didn't spoon feed me, he told me I should figure it out for myself if I wanted to become a better fisherman. He's "Behind the Wall of Sleep" "Bassically" speaking, might not want to know me any more, but I'm still grateful. ;) :HappyWave:

bababooey
03-20-2009, 10:26 AM
My Dad taught me some good things about fishing. One of the main things was to have patience, which I have tried to teach my children. Believe me, it's easier said than done. :rolleyes:

cowherder
05-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I consider some of you guys here to be my mentors, even though I have never met a lot of you. Darkskies, Clamchucker, Bababooey, and a lot of others have helped me through pms. Dark I hope I can fish with you some night we fish some of the same NJ areas. I would love to hit up some of those spots in Staten Island or Jamaica bay. When I read the stories you guys write it's just like I was there, and I credit all of you for helping me catch my first keeper.:clapping: A lot of my friends don't fish or are not serious about it. I go out there to catch fish, not play frisbee, and fish as an added attraction. I am thankful for everyone's help, not just the guys listed above. As I learn more, I hope I can teach some of the new people. Thanks for everything, guys!:HappyWave:

dogfish
05-16-2009, 02:31 PM
My mentors were my Father, and an uncle. They taught me to be patient, and to think about what was happening when we were catching fish. What were the conditions, tide, wind, bait, and to remember that for the same conditions in the future. They forced me to think like a hunter of fish.

nitestrikes
05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
One of my mentors was my grandfather. He caught fish back when there were no $40 and $50 plugs. He taught me your tackle is the thing to focus on, for if you do get a big fish you don't want to lose it to tackle failure. Thanks gramps. :HappyWave:

blitzhunter
05-16-2009, 03:36 PM
My dad taught me how to read the surf. Best advice he could have given me.

paumanok
05-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I envy you guys who can claim a mentor or two, especially you guys who can say--"My daddy taught me. . ."

My daddy was the first one to ever take me fishing. He brought along a pack of Marlboros, a Daily News, and he parked himself, immediately, on a park bench under a shady tree. I guess what I learned from him was to fend for myself.

I learned a lot of the things SKINNER mentions. They are all important to good fishing. I learned them piecemeal from the countless anglers I've met and talked and fished with over the years. So, I guess, my mentors are legion.

Three essentials I learned from them, plying the fly fishing trade, are:

PATIENCE

PRECISION

PERSEVERANCE