PDA

View Full Version : Quantity vs Quality - Gear

VSdreams
03-19-2009, 10:36 PM
When I first started out fishing I always had to have the best of everything. I thought nothing of taking my paychecks and buying expensive rods, reels and lures.

As time passed I realized that there was more to catching fish than just having expensive gear. Some of my biggest fish have been caught on my $5 dollar lures and ulgy sticks.

7deadlyplugs
03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
As time passed I realized that there was more to catching fish than just having expensive gear. Some of my biggest fish have been caught on my $5 dollar lures and ulgy sticks.

As someone who trembles whenever I pass a new plugbuilder I see for the first time, thinking that I have to buy one of what they are selling, I agree these plugs are designed to catch fishermen more than fish. I created my handle because of my plug fetish. I would still agree with you though, it's more about the fisherman and his skills than the plug.

lostatsea
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
It's a skill that can take a while to achieve. You have to watch, listen and learn from other experienced fishermen. I agree the $30 plugs don't always get the job done.

finchaser
05-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Yep, putting time in is what counts not the equipment. Of coarse you don't want to fish with junk that breaks down.

The new era of so called bass guy's think if they have a VS, Lami and $30.00 plugs that's what it's all about and with out bunker they couldn't catch a fish.

surfwalker
05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't know. I guess to each his own (never heard that before, eh). If you fish hard and can afford it then go for it. If you're buying stuff to impress other fishers than count me out. I'm not impressed by outfits, I'm impressed with someone banging them hard while all I'm doin is beating the water and chasing the fish over to his offering, time to step back and observe. You'd probably be embarrassed to plug with me if you saw what I throw, but they still produce. I can't afford top of the line stuff, but stuff that I can depend on in my price range. Gear that hasn't performed up to my expectations, cheap or expensive, you'll be able to find them on the Parkway shoulder, I throw them out the window on the ride home.

Monty
05-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Expensive gear and expensive plugs = nothing without skill and experience as far as hooking up with fish.

jimbob
05-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I buy and fish with the best gear I can afford. It took me a long time to save up for a Van Staal and it was worth it. I would never think of working with cheap tools at work, and I am making more money for someone else than I am for my family. I will never skimp on something for my wife or kids and I will fish with the best, most reliable equipment. I say always go with the best.

gjb1969
05-15-2009, 11:30 PM
if u dont know how to when to or were to u can have all top shelf gear u want u will look good the snoob crowd but thats all u still have put in your time and learn plain and simple :thumbsup: