PDA

View Full Version : granite countertops

VSdreams
03-21-2009, 08:03 PM
We want to install a granite countertop, but I heard that you can get stains on the granite. Is this so? If it is how come so many people are getting them?

hookset
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Granite is porous stone and can stain. The prevent this and protect the surface the granite should be sealed at least once a year.

It is a very popular choice. Be careful; don't ever stand on them to clean upper cabinets because it will crack.

OneMoreCast
10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Also, only use neutral ph balanced cleaners made especially for stone products. NO HARSH CHEMICALS. Do not clean with vinegar and water as the vinegar is a natural acid and will etch the surface of the stone. No oil and vinegar salad making either. Oils (butter, margarine, etc.) will leech into the stone causing a dark spot not very easily removable.

Stone countertops maximizes your return on your investment. Nothing better.

basshunter
10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I would never want granite. Why would I want to seal something every year. I like corian. It is easy to clean and durable.

OneMoreCast
10-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Just be careful with corian. Dont put a boiling pot directly on the surface or pour boiling water directly into a corian sink. It will warp. Overall a very maintenance free product.