PDA

View Full Version : Custom Rod racks and sand spikes

RocksandReds
03-22-2009, 02:41 AM
Well here goes, I lost my job over a year ago so I decided to try and make a living doing something which involved my passion for fishing, Its a tough road but I'm not going to quit now. Here is some info on what I make, and if you have a idea for something odds are I can make it just give me a ring or an email.

Thanks Chris

Rocks and Reds Custom Rod racks & Sand spikes.

Call for prices on racks, prices vary by size.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0314.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0384-1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0584-1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_1066-1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_1069-1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0385-1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_1508.jpg

Here are some pics I'll try to post some better ones later. Spikes run from $20-$28. and Racks are by the job. Prices are:
4ft std = $20
4ft w/foot peg = $22
5ft std = $22
5ft w/foot peg $25

*bottom cup & foot peg, can be welded at any length when ordered.
**std is 4' =14" , 5'= 18" ,from bottom of cup to top.
All spikes have a lifetime warrenty on craftsman ship(except on rubber to coating) ship it back to me and I'll fix it or replace it..
Anything other than above is costom, and will be $30,longer/larger angle (1 1/2"x1 1/2"x3/16") , solid 12" tube at top etc. I will make anything just give me a call 8am-5pm @ 302-858-7078

I am going to try and keep these prices as long as possible,but I might have to go up a little with the price of metal.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0379-1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0382-1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0803.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_0808.jpg

NEW!! Travel spikes
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_1686.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_1687.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/rocksandreds/100_1688.jpg

Any questions feel free to call or shoot me an email at:
RocksandReds@Gmail.com
Thanks Chris

plugaholic
03-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Those are incredible man. :clapping: What line of work were you in before you lost your job? Must have been something to do with welding. NICE!!

williehookem
03-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Great holders Rock, How much would you say the spikes weigh?

RocksandReds
03-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Those are incredible man. :clapping: What line of work were you in before you lost your job? Must have been something to do with welding. NICE!!

Auto mechanic, Thank you!

DarkSkies
03-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Rocks, where ya been, out fishin? :fishing: I called ya today and left an e-mail, was down in Essex for the flea market, you check your voicemail yet? :beatin:

RocksandReds
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Great holders Rock, How much would you say the spikes weigh?

A 5ft is approximately 2lbs, Thanks Chris

RocksandReds
03-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Rocks, where ya been, out fishin? :fishing: I called ya today and left an e-mail, was down in Essex for the flea market, you check your voicemail yet? :beatin:

Just got it when I got home, give me a ring if you want, I'll be in the shop for awhile 12-1am.

Thanks Chris

albiealert
03-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Rocks, could I ask what gauge aluminum you are using? I saw something similar in a shop by us, and it felt flimsy when I picked it up, like if you pushed it in where rocks are it might bend. Of course, I'm not saying yours are like that, the ones I was looking at it seemed the spike portion was a little thinner than the pics you put up. Also, great pics! You can really see the detail in yours, nice work. :clapping:

williehookem
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
I was going to ask how thick they are too rocksandreds. Then I noticed the 2nd pic under the white truck. They do look pretty thick? I think a lot of ones that are made in a factory are only about half that thick, and that's why they bend.

RocksandReds
03-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Rocks, could I ask what gauge aluminum you are using? I saw something similar in a shop by us, and it felt flimsy when I picked it up, like if you pushed it in where rocks are it might bend. Of course, I'm not saying yours are like that, the ones I was looking at it seemed the spike portion was a little thinner than the pics you put up. Also, great pics! You can really see the detail in yours, nice work. :clapping:

Hello,no problem, they are 6061 heavy gauge aluminum. They 3/16in thick, I think there about twice as thick as the factory ones, if you break one I'll replace it free. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions or post them here I try to check it everyday.

Thanks Chris

DarkSkies
04-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I just got a set of 5' ones from Chris. I don't like to endorse stuff unless I beat it up a little first, but I wanted to say these spikes are lookin good!! :thumbsup:

They're thick, the welds are cleaned up nice, and he dips the tops in heavy duty black rubberized plasti-kote so they don't scratch or abrade your rods.

They look like the work of a guy who spends a lot of time bait fishin and designed the spikes to minimize problems. I'll be using them soon, and give another report on them.

I know good construction when I see it, and these are put together with care. They appear to be sturdier than what's out there in the tackle shops. For the money he charges for them, IMO they would be hard to compare with ones you're buying from a store.

I'll post the pics when I get a chance. For now, I just wanted to give a big "thanks!" to Chris for the quality product he puts out. :clapping:

plugcrazy
04-25-2009, 09:09 PM
It's good to hear that you were happy with the spikes dark! I could use some to leave at my Mom's shore place. I'll have to put some $ aside.
Nice work Chris!

RocksandReds
04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
I just got a set of 5' ones from Chris. I don't like to endorse stuff unless I beat it up a little first, but I wanted to say these spikes are lookin good!! :thumbsup:

They're thick, the welds are cleaned up nice, and he dips the tops in heavy duty black rubberized plasti-kote so they don't scratch or abrade your rods.

They look like the work of a guy who spends a lot of time bait fishin and designed the spikes to minimize problems. I'll be using them soon, and give another report on them.

I know good construction when I see it, and these are put together with care. They appear to be sturdier than what's out there in the tackle shops. For the money he charges for them, IMO they would be hard to compare with ones you're buying from a store.

I'll post the pics when I get a chance. For now, I just wanted to give a big "thanks!" to Chris for the quality product he puts out. :clapping:

It's good to hear that you were happy with the spikes dark! I could use some to leave at my Mom's shore place. I'll have to put some $ aside.
Nice work Chris!

Thanks Guys
Just give me a yell if you need anything!!

Thanks Again
Chris

DarkSkies
04-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I've been using these heavy duty spikes made by Chris for the last few days, and am happy to say that I can now endorse them. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I also checked out the other spikes on the market. Many are made in China and made of material that's a lot thinner than RocksnReds uses. That's fine on regular sand. You won't notice the difference until you have to push the spikes into deep mud with clamshells mixed in.

If you push hard enough,the cheaper, thinner spikes will bend, meaning you wasted your money.

For the price you can't beat them. The one here in the pic I found in a tackle shop selling for $22 for a 44" spike.

Chris sells a 48" for $20, a 60" for $25. That's a price that can't be beat for the quality product he puts out.

Give Chris a call or see if he can make a custom one for you and your bait fishin or beach buggy friends today. He does good work, has a full weld in the most critical places, instead of just a cheaper spot weld, and his spikes are built to last!

DarkSkies
04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Some pics for you guys:

I got the 5' ones for overall height because I fish out front a lot. For the guys who only fish the back bay, I would say the 4' is sufficient, and 4" taller than the cheap ones they sell in most shops. A 4' one may also fit better in a compact car, so that's something to think about when you're deciding what size you need.

I like the taller ones to help me get above the surf line without the need for a 14' rod. :scared:

DarkSkies
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Take a close look at these pics and see the quality of the welds for yourselves. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Notice the quality and thickness of the rubberized coating.

DarkSkies
04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Side by side comparison of RocksnReds sandspike with the cheap imported sandspike. The imported one was selling for $21.95, and the thickness of Chris's spike was almost twice as thick. :clapping:

Same price, better quality...

Hmmm tough decision?...

Not!! :D

storminsteve
04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice detailed pics. Dark you should be a writer or a salesman.

plugcrazy
05-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Chris, I saw those AMSA plates on one of your trailer/racks. You're AMSA member #1100, I get that, but what do the numbers 170 and 171Junior mean? Are they your children?

RocksandReds
06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Chris, I saw those AMSA plates on one of your trailer/racks. You're AMSA member #1100, I get that, but what do the numbers 170 and 171Junior mean? Are they your children?

Hey Plugcrazy,

Sorry I missed your post yes they are my kids they are both members, they are DMS members also.

i bd fossil
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Great work Rocks! Notocedyou have one of the older (better ) DE surf tags on the rack. Heard they are a major No-No now," improper display of permit." Not wanting to Poop on any bodies Pop Tart, may save a ticket from an overly agressive park cop.

RocksandReds
06-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Great work Rocks! Notocedyou have one of the older (better ) DE surf tags on the rack. Heard they are a major No-No now," improper display of permit." Not wanting to Poop on any bodies Pop Tart, may save a ticket from an overly agressive park cop.

Thanks,

So far no problems its been on there for about several years now and they have checked me several times with nothing being said, but I'm sure I'll get that one that does sooner or later.

Chris

i bd fossil
06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
The only reason I mentioned that wasI saw it happen last Sept.
Late at nite, only a few of us on the sand, patrol passes me goes to the next guy, stops,started talking to him, next thing I know is the other fellow starts packing up. Guy stops near me and asks if I have any use for his bait, says he was kicked off the beach for "improper display of permit". Must have been a bad nite for the officer,good nite for mecaught 3 shorts on the other guys bait.

DarkSkies
06-21-2009, 11:43 PM
The only reason I mentioned that was I saw it happen last Sept.
says he was kicked off the beach for "improper display of permit". .

So the guys down there don't have anything better to do with their time? I could see if you didn't have the permits, but "improper display?" :huh:

DarkSkies
06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Took some video today of RnR sand spike being used. I like it, it's sturdy easy to carry, and holds it's place. :thumbsup:

i bd fossil
06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
DS, it must be the DE government wanting to justify the prison system. several years ago they stopped using the , when I went to renew my tag I was told that the new white plates were the only ones they would recognize. Not thinking I let my last surf vehicle picture plate go when the truck was totaled. As an aside the older numbered plates were a good way to get out of parking tickets in NYC, Often wonder if those people with 4 digit plates ever had any problems with thier registration? Seems the lazy parking officers kept using my surf tag on the front instead of the real plate on the rear. Back on point' improper display of permit" means the stickernot being on the white plates. Paperwork in order, no good must be white plate only.Anything to keep our convicted felons occupied, must be some kind of rehab.

DarkSkies
08-16-2009, 01:58 PM
DS, it must be the DE government wanting to justify the prison system. several years ago they stopped using the , when I went to renew my tag I was told that the new white plates were the only ones they would recognize. Not thinking I let my last surf vehicle picture plate go when the truck was totaled. As an aside the older numbered plates were a good way to get out of parking tickets in NYC, Often wonder if those people with 4 digit plates ever had any problems with thier registration? Seems the lazy parking officers kept using my surf tag on the front instead of the real plate on the rear. Back on point' improper display of permit" means the stickernot being on the white plates. Paperwork in order, no good must be white plate only.Anything to keep our convicted felons occupied, must be some kind of rehab.

ibd, i read your concerns here, sorry I missed it when you first posted.

I can tell you from experience here in NJ, NY, Conn and some of the other states along the stripercoast, that we have way too many regs compared to what you guys have in De. The experience you had in Delaware sounds to me like a case of some guy who let his power go to his head.

We recently had some officers in Long Branch, NJ, stop Bob Dylan walking around and gave him major hassles when there was a question about his ID. This is what you get when a lot of enforcement personnel are under 25.

I just came back from the midwest, we drove 1000 miles and the only place we saw speed traps was in NJ, PA, and Indiana. Otherwise most police have better things to do than hassle citizens for petty offenses.

The experience you describe sounds like the pettiest offense, very minor. A seasoned officer should have realized that, and let you go on your way with a verbal warning.

That's how you build good relations between the police and the public, IMO. Maybe the guy who hassled you didn't read that in the manual. :don't know why:

DarkSkies
08-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Another video I took of RocksnReds sandspike.

This time I was fishin in the spring, and had one rod with bunker, one with clams. The one in the spike had bunker, while I held the clam rod in my hands, a few feet away. This allowed me to fish a little further out, in 3' of water. I jammed Chris's 6' sandspike in the sand, and it held, even with the waves coming in (calm night though) :D.

I think this illustrates the strength of the spike a little better. I feel when I get a big fish on that rod, the sandspike will not bend in half, like some of the wimpier ones on the market. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Since the night bite is about sharks now, I think that's an important feature. Although you should never be too far away from your sandspike, you want to be confident that it won't be ripped out like a piece of paper, and swept away to England. :scared:

I think with the stronger materials he uses, Chris has achieved that, and surf fishermen can have a good degree of confidence when they're fishin.

Good product, sturdy construction. :clapping:

DarkSkies
10-19-2009, 03:19 AM
RnR sandspike in sedge banks.

Pebbles
10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
RnR, your sand spikes are the best. I always have trouble putting Darks other sand spikes into the ground, yours are so easy to manuver. The foot post is my favorite. One or two steps and they are in the ground, strong and secure.

RocksandReds
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
RnR, your sand spikes are the best. I always have trouble putting Darks other sand spikes into the ground, yours are so easy to manuver. The foot post is my favorite. One or two steps and they are in the ground, strong and secure.

Thanks!! I am finishing up another batch, let me know if he needs somemore:D:D

Thanks Chris