PDA

View Full Version : Boaters World going out of business

HerringRollins
03-22-2009, 12:04 PM
They are going bankrupt. Their doors will only be open for 90 days. I heard they have some great deals. Here is the link to the store locator. (Hope it's allowed Joe.)

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MapQuestView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Liquidation plans begin for Boater's World

SALISBURY -- Scrapping Boater's World Marine Centers eliminates jobs at three retail stores and a warehouse on Maryland's Eastern Shore, as bankrupted Ritz Camera Centers Inc. liquidates more than 100 marine retail stores nationwide.

Boater's World on North Salisbury Boulevard employs about 10 workers, and 65 people are staffed at the Denton warehouse -- one of two storage facilities in the nation for the corporation, managers at the locations said Friday. Boater's World also has retail locations in Easton and on Kent Island.

Alex Goldman, media director at Greenbelt-based Ritz Camera, on Friday said he has been directed to not discuss Boater's World going-out-of-business sales or the financial crisis that led the nation's largest chain of camera stores in February to file for bankruptcy protection.

The Salisbury store dropped prices at least 10 percent on all merchandise after Ritz Camera, which launched Boaters World in the late 1980s, won permission by a bankruptcy court to have going-out-of-business sales at marine retail centers. Ritz should collect $40 million from the quitting-business sales, attorney Irving Walker told U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Mary Walrath at a hearing Thursday in Wilmington, according to Bloomberg News.
The Salisbury location that opened about 1988 intends to hang a banner announcing the quitting-business sale by next week, the store manager said, adding that the store is scheduled to shut down in about 60 days.

May 8 is the targeted date for closing the Denton warehouse that opened almost 20 years ago, in 1990, an official at the location said Friday. Workers at the location learned Friday of the liquidation sales, he said.
"The company doesn't want us to comment; I'll say this: It is a terrible situation," the warehouse official said. "It's a sad day for the history of Boater's World. I didn't know until today."