PDA

View Full Version : Wallets for Corzine

DarkSkies
03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
So who made it down to give their wallet in? I forgot they were having it, then pulled in to get fuel, so I snapped a few pics.

Bob Williams 101.5 Great job, Bob and the crew!

DarkSkies
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM

basshunter
03-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Nice Pictures Dark!:thumbsup: Corzine keeps squeezing until there is nothing left of the middle class. We wants to make sure we are all personally running on a deficit, we all lose our homes and the Rich are the only ones left in the state.

Here is the article about the Wallets for Corzine:

Coffin fills with empty wallets in protest of state budget

RALLY AGAINST CORZINE SPENDING PLAN

By CHRISTINA VEGA • COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU • March 20, 2009

WALL — The scene at the Monmouth rest stop on the Garden State Parkway Thursday afternoon was surreal.

As Michael Stein knelt in the rain to pray in front of a casket in the middle of the parking lot, the contents of the coffin would surprise any unknowing bystander. Stein rose to his feet and tossed an empty wallet into the cloth-lined coffin, containing a note that portrayed Gov. Jon S. Corzine as a hangman of the middle class.
"I can't afford to live here anymore. They're fishing me out. I was born and raised here, and I don't want to leave, but I just can't afford to stay," said Stein, 42, of Piscataway.

The casket and empty wallets were part of a campaign by radio station New Jersey 101.5 FM called "Attack on the Middle Class — New Jersey 101.5 Fights Back" to oppose Corzine's new budget proposal. Led by vehicles from the station and a black hearse, the "Empty Wallet Convoy" made stops at every rest area beginning in Union County and moving south to Wall, so the public could donate their empty wallets.

"This is signifying the death of the middle class in New Jersey," said Ray Handel, group marketing director for Millennium Radio New Jersey. "Earning $50,000 to $100,000 in this state is middle class. To take $1,200 or $2,000 out of our pockets, it's not going to work. That's what this message is. Do not go through with this. End it now, or none of these people will vote for you."

At first confused, people stood around the display waiting for an explanation of the demonstration. Those in agreement emptied the contents of their wallets and either placed or threw their wallets in frustration into the casket. By 1 p.m. Thursday, the campaign had collected well over 500 wallets, Handel said.
At the end of the campaign, the procession will travel to the Statehouse in Trenton, where the wallets will be transferred to cardboard boxes to leave at the entrance of the governor's office.
Under Corzine's proposal, property-tax deductions and income-tax rebates for nonsenior homeowners making more than $75,000 a year would be eliminated. Nonseniors earning between $50,000 and $75,000 will see rebate cuts by a third.

Inside the casket, some wallets contained letters from the taxpayers to Corzine. One note, signed "a soon to be resident of any other state," said "Your policies in this state are legal thievery." Other wallets contained family photos and even a fake $25,000 bill with the word "Wanted" stamped in the middle.
Laurie Henkle, 49, of Manalapan stood in the parking lot with a sign that expressed her dissatisfaction with the budget proposal. After her pay was cut by 6 percent and health care raised by 40 percent, Henkle said the new proposal is "ridiculous."
"We need his help. We don't need his reaching into our pockets and taking whatever pennies we have left," Henkle said.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009903200367