PDA

View Full Version : Commercial fishing boat sinks outside of Atlantic city

bababooey
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Wow, the water is in the 40's the last I heard. Hope they find them soon.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/four_people_are_still_in_water.html

One dies, four people are still in water after fishing boat sank off Cape May

by The Associated Press Tuesday March 24, 2009, 10:55 AM

Four people are still in the ocean awaiting help after a fishing boat sank about 65 miles off Cape May today. At least one person has died, the Coast Guard said.
The Coast Guard has already rescued three others.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Chris McLaughlin says the Lady Mary, whose homeport was not immediately available, sank around 5 a.m..
Rescuers received a transmission from an emergency radio beacon at about 7 a.m. and launched helicopters to search for survivors.
They plucked three people from the water and are headed back for the remaining four.
No word yet on the condition of those who were rescued.

Update:
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) -- A fishing boat sank in rough seas off New Jersey on Tuesday morning, killing at least one person and leaving four missing in the icy ocean as relatives gathered at the water's edge to pray for their safe return.
One crew member died and a second was critically ill after the Lady Mary, a 71-foot scallop boat based at Cape May in southern New Jersey and owned by a North Carolina man, sank with seven people aboard about 75 miles off the coast.

A third crew member was conscious and alert when he was plucked with the other two from the water by a helicopter. Two helicopters, an airplane and two boats swept a 225-square-mile area of the Atlantic Ocean for the remaining people.
All seven crew members were wearing cold-water survival suits, the Coast Guard said, but it was not clear how long they could hold out in the 40-degree water, with the air temperature at 33 degrees.
At the dock where the Lady Mary was based, about two dozen relatives and friends of the fishermen held hands and prayed.
``God, we pray for a miracle,'' said Marcia Janifer, whose sister is engaged to Roy Smith Jr., one of the men she said was missing Tuesday afternoon. She described Smith Jr. as ``shy but funny.''
Smith's father, Roy Smith Sr. of Bayboro, N.C., owned the boat, said Clara Burkhardt, office manager of the Cold Springs Fish and Supplies, which bought seafood from the elder Smith.
An hour after receiving a transmission at 7:30 a.m. from an emergency radio beacon, a Coast Guard helicopter found three crew members in the water near an empty life raft bobbing in the ocean. They were taken to a hospital, where one was pronounced dead and a second was unresponsive but showed vital signs, the Coast Guard said.
The third rescued crew member was able to tell authorities that all seven members of the crew donned lifesaving suits ``and abandoned ship'' for a reason he didn't specify, said Petty Officer Andrew Kendrick.
Waves were 4 to 7 feet high when the boat sank, Kendrick said. Searching for the missing boaters were two helicopters and an airplane from Coast Guard stations in Elizabeth City, N.C., and Atlantic City, as well two boats from Cape May.
Cape May trails only Gloucester, Mass., on the East Coast in terms of tons of fish brought ashore each year, Mayor Edward Mahaney said.
Commercial fishermen all know they could be lost at sea someday, Janifer said.
``It is a known possibility,'' she said. ``They are well aware of the danger you could get in out there.''

dogfish
03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Tough break, maybe they had their survival suits on.

wish4fish
03-24-2009, 10:08 PM
i heard on the news that another guy died. thats some sad **** i feel bad for their families, i think they won't find them alive.:(

clamchucker
03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't think they will find them alive either. Thoughts and prayers to the families.

DarkSkies
03-26-2009, 09:23 AM
I read they expanded the search area to around 250 square miles. Still no sign of the rest? Anyone have an update? That's gotta be so tough on their families, waiting and not knowing. Pray for them.