PDA

View Full Version : early season bait sightings

cowherder
03-27-2009, 01:29 PM
So what early season bait are you guys seeing already? I have been out a few times and haven't seen any. One day I did see gulls in the wash when I was driving by the bay, but when I got out to look there were no fish there, only gulls diving. The bait was very small, I think they were some type of shrimp or small tiny marine life because you couldn't see anything in their mouths when they exited from the water. Anybody see or hear of any bunker?

stripercrazy
03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
They could be small marine worms or broken up bits of clams if you saw that happen after a storm. I'll see that driving along back bay areas, or in the ocean after a noreaster. Remember you don't have to be in the ocean to have clam beds, they are all over if you know where to look.

Ever see a bird find a clam and bring it to a dock or set of rocks somewhere so it can drop it and eat the snot inside? Pretty neat. :)

plugaholic
03-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I have seen bunker in the back of Delaware Bay, and there are are herring in some of the inlets. They should be coming your way soon.

DarkSkies
03-27-2009, 08:43 PM
So what early season bait are you guys seeing already? I have been out a few times and haven't seen any. Anybody see or hear of any bunker?

Bunker are around, not huge schools yet, but around. Instead of looking for them, go out at night in a deeper cove near an inlet where you think they might be on a calm night, close your eyes, and listen. You'll find em. ;)

captnemo
03-27-2009, 10:20 PM
There are bunker in some of the harbors.

plugcrazy
02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I was at the Lobster Shanty last week. After dinner we were walking along the bulkhead. It was high tide and we saw fish flipping, maybe bunker?

rockhopper
02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't know your jersey bays but we have had bunker in the back of RM area in the 3rd week of february already. I say its most likely to be bunker as they come in to feed on the algae and plankton.

porgy75
02-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Bunker. My uncle has a house down there. I asked him and he says they have been there for at least a week now.

wish4fish
02-19-2012, 02:31 PM
bunker for sure i seen em and they dont hang around they r in and out.

wish4fish
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
saw em again last nite

voyager35
03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
There are some big schools of bunker on the way off of Va right now.