PDA

View Full Version : strategy

lostatsea
03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
What is your strategy for the spring run?

plugcrazy
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Fish bait for bass until the bluefish come up and start mixing it up. Then plug the bunker schools and catch a cow! Bunker makes everyone a bass fisherman!:rolleyes:

DarkSkies
03-29-2009, 06:54 AM
I got a friend who's a diehard plugger and bucktail guy. Even he was fishin bait the other night. Ill do whatever it takes to hook a fish. The flyfishermen know what time it is. They go to a place, and if the fish are hitting surface flies in a small pattern, they won't throw sinkers in a large pattern. They give the fish what they're feeding on.

So my strategy is to give the fish what they're feeding on. In the earliest stages, fish are sluggish, and nosing around in the muck for marine worms ans small crabs and shrimp. That's when I fish bait like worms.

I still fish bait when they're hittin clams, until the bunker come in thick. Schools of bunker milling around means that's the forage, so I concentrate on fishing fresh bunker. Bigger pieces, 1/2 at a time, will get you bigger fish until things slow down, then I fish smaller chunks.

I'll fish the back until things start to heat up in the front. When I start plugging depends on the year, temperature, and fish activity. For me the strategy is to have an idea what I want to do, but be willing to change at a moment's notice. The adaptibility is one feature I copied from many of the great fishermen I fished with.

nitestrikes
03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
My strategy is to find fish in the back bays, look for inlets, and deep areas near bridges, and start out with rubber shads. I go over to wood and plastic plugs when the action gets crazy. Our NY season opens April 15, I can't wait! :fishing:

mick2360
03-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Early season; bucktails twitched along slowly. Bass don't want to chase bait in cold water. When the water begins to warm, more bucktails along with rubber shads and medium bomber type plugs.