PDA

View Full Version : Deep Spooning for Trout/Bass

mick2360
03-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Living two hours away from the salt, I have had to rely on some of the deep water reservoirs on the norther NJ/NY border for my fishing action. One of the best early season tactics is deep water spooning. I've used swedish pimples or hopkins type spoons, working the entire water column. I've managed to catch a few nice rainbows and many, many smallmouth. Anyone else working the freshwater with spoons?

In a week or so I'm going out and tying a small deceiver teaser 12 inches above the spoon. Stay tuned.....

CharlieTuna
03-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Teasers for freshwater, great concept. Do you also chum dead herring when you do that? I'm assuming you are anchored over some type of deep structure, single or double anchor?

mick2360
03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
The reservoirs that I fish are NYC DEP regulated for NYC water supply. No chumming but at night some of the guys shine a lantern over the water, drawing the baitfish and bringing the trout up.

In the Ashokan, where I fish, there are entire towns flooded over. I try to follow fence lines (rock walls) out and jig them. It is deep water with boulder bottom; perfect smallmouth water. I believe the sound of the tin striking rock draws fish, which is why I'm thinking teaser this year. Milt Roscoe would be proud. :lookhappy: