PDA

View Full Version : Men VS Women

katiefishes
03-30-2009, 09:41 AM
While talking to my girlfriend yesterday she brought up the fact that they have women division tournaments. She raised the question of why they have a special division for this.

Now I must say that fishing is my favorite pastime. I generally go with my guy :heart:. I used to go out solo but about two years ago I was harassed on the surf by a couple of guys so don't really go by myself to often anymore.

Now I have been known to out fish my beloved :kiss:on a few occasions. I must admit if I entered a competition against anyone one of you experts I would probably lose. I truly believe that even though it has a lot to do with knowledge, it also has to do with strength. I weigh about 125 and a guy who weighs 200 plus with big mussels could out fish me any day on a 30 lb bass.

Though I have never fished in tournaments I am grateful that they have women divisions. Your opinion?

VSdreams
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Katie, since you are a long time member here maybe we can give you special dispensation and call you Stripers and Anglers "Angler of the Year"!

Finaddict
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Katie,
Here in Delaware we have a "womens div" in our tourny. There are a couple of reasons for this.
1) Women want to beat other women.

2) For the women who are not use to fishing in the surf, we want to get them involved.

3) In our tourny women can win thier div and beat other women, but they are also allowed to place in the overall div, to beat up on the men for bragging rights.

I know first hand how women anglers can beat up on the men. Heck, my little 11 year old Destiny does it all the time to me:clapping:. The limited amount of female anglers is beginning to rise in numbers. I think this is a good thing, don't you.;)

jonthepain
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
I weigh about 125 and a guy who weighs 200 plus with big mussels could out fish me any day on a 30 lb bass.

I respectfully disagree. It's all about leverage. The big guy who tries to muscle in his bass has a bigger chance of a breakoff than the person (you) who uses the ebb and flow of the battle and the ebb and flow of the surf to bring in her trophy striper.

Case in point - a local gal pulled in a 100 lb channel bass a coupla months ago on Topsail Island, and from the pictures she looks like about 5' nothing and about as heavy as that bass, if that. :)

edit well i found the article but unfortunately the picture is no longer posted. the gal said that she is 5'4" and the black drum was as tall as she is!"

http://www.newsobserver.com/802/story/1329445.html

katiefishes
03-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Finaddict, yes I think it is a good thing that women are getting more involved. It's good for women to go up against their own kind. However, I like the idea of having them entered in the overall division as well. Bragging rights can be important to us girls!

It's great that you take get your daughter fishing. Some of my most treasured memories are fishing with my dad. I bet she has a blast.

Jonthepain, lesson well taken. That was a very encouraging article. I should never give up, even though I have trouble landing a 15lber.

DarkSkies
03-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Lady Reelers fishing club, LI

Grace from the Lady Reelers talks about how her club got started.

The demand for a club on LI where women anglers feel comfortable was so great that 200 women showed up at their first meeting in 1982. Of that 200, 160 signed up the first year. They not only fish the salt, but do fresh and fly fishing in different locations.